What Is Happening To Our Country?

sadoldgit

43 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Thanks for your opinion. If you don’t give a monkeys though, why bother to comment?

I haven't commented on the stuff you post about each other. I've commented that it's weird that you apparently block the bloke, and then reply to him. If I want to ignore someone, I would actually do that. I wouldn't get chippy with them and whinge about them all over the place. 

Edited by egg
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, egg said:

I haven't commented on the stuff you post about each other. I've commented that it's weird that you apparently block the bloke, and then reply to him. If I want to ignore someone, I would actually do that. I wouldn't get chippy with them and whinge about them all over the place. 

And still you go on about it despite not giving a monkeys. 🙄

Anyway, back to the subject in hand. A further raft of strikes due in the New Year, thousands of people without a water supply at Christmas. Record number of people using food banks. Warm banks set up across the country to try and help people from freezing to death. Despite our “wealth” and standing in the world, you would be forgiven for thinking we had become a third world country. As dear old Alpine would say, we a being run like a second rate seaside B & B. Yet there is still no sign of our latest PM getting a grip and sorting thing out. Happy days.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

CD858BF6-2947-49CD-A64E-42043A4B5956.jpeg

So, put the correct number of staff on the gates checking paperwork, as the strikers are asking, ( 1000 on strike replaced by nearly 1400 military and civil servants ), and miraculously there are no queues. ( I also wonder if the service personnel are actually paid more than the BF staff ).

Edited by badgerx16

8 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

So, put the correct number of staff on the gates checking paperwork, as the strikers are asking, ( 1000 on strike replaced by nearly 1400 military and civil servants ), and miraculously there are no queues. ( I also wonder if the service personnel are actually paid more than the BF staff ).

https://www.forces.net/news/hundreds-military-personnel-ready-cover-striking-uk-border-force-staff

As per when the Forces cover for civil authorities (like the fire strike being a prime example), far reduced staff numbers, limited training and little time to prepare....

What will happen, little will be learned from how the military succeed in such instances and a return to middle management, rainbow thinking and focus on net zero and lived experiences.

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Anyway, back to the subject in hand. A further raft of strikes due in the New Year, thousands of people without a water supply at Christmas. Record number of people using food banks. Warm banks set up across the country to try and help people from freezing to death. Despite our “wealth” and standing in the world, you would be forgiven for thinking we had become a third world country. As dear old Alpine would say, we a being run like a second rate seaside B & B. Yet there is still no sign of our latest PM getting a grip and sorting thing out. Happy days.

What does the PM "getting a grip" look like? Giving in to demands for 19% raises, and in doing so raising the expectation of similar for other public sector workers? Funding it by borrowing more money and sending the markets into a tailspin, and pushing inflation even higher? Or Raising taxes making things even harder for people? Or perhaps it's standing firm and saying don't be so fucking stupid? 

• Confused 1

38 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

image.thumb.png.40c5ff56d6f8fd1c436f949af8cf8939.png

16 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

No they aren’t. They just get on with the job instead of moaning.

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

Let me get this straight, you’ve spent 3 days discussing with egg if you should or shouldn’t respond to someone you’ve got on ignore? 🤣🤣

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

CD858BF6-2947-49CD-A64E-42043A4B5956.jpeg

This has all the hallmarks of an article written with a headline in mind.  Is there any evidence it's actually true?  From what I can tell it's anecdotal rather than anything concrete but could be the case.  You mention that 

42 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

little will be learned from how the military succeed in such instances and a return to middle management, rainbow thinking and focus on net zero and lived experiences.

That seems to imply that the military are doing something different to what would normally be the case.  Any idea what that would be? 

I'm not really sure what you mean by "a return to middle management, rainbow thinking and focus on net zero and lived experiences".  Is that just a collection of things you don't like and would like to link to this?  I mean, middle management, surely the armed forces must have the most middle management around - I've found 19 different ranks.  As for the rest of it, it doesn't really appear relevant to the day to day duties of those on strike.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

This has all the hallmarks of an article written with a headline in mind.  Is there any evidence it's actually true?  From what I can tell it's anecdotal rather than anything concrete but could be the case.  You mention that 

That seems to imply that the military are doing something different to what would normally be the case.  Any idea what that would be? 

Oh, is it, having a work ethic and get the job done attitude?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I honestly don't know but would be surprised if that was all it is.  Whenever there's been delays recently it's been due to staffing levels (at least as far as I can tell) so I'd imagine that's probably more likely to have had an effect.  It's an easy cliché though - those on strike are lazy, moaning, work shy, rainbow thinking shirkers.  I bet they even drink fancy coffee.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Talk about narcissism!

20 hours had gone by, everyone had moved on, but Mr centre of attention had to dig up a post to make it all about him again....

I wish Soggy would go on a posting strike, that’s one I would fully support. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Or they at waiving every fucker through as they can’t be arsed to do the job.

Stupid comparison though. Like if I had to pick up your broom your bosses would be saying fucking hell Whelk is showing Weston how it should be done. But it’s not my skill set ceiling and not an efficient use of resources

Edited by whelk

28 minutes ago, whelk said:

Stupid comparison though. Like if I had to pick up your broom your bosses would be saying fucking hell Whelk is showing Weston how it should be done. But it’s not my skill set ceiling and not an efficient use of resources

That’s what they normally do.

Southern Water - they can't supply homes with actual fucking water, because they've redirected all the infrastructure investment money into bonuses, dividends and shareholder hedge funds, but if you prefer your local waterways flooded with human shit, they can find money to fund that immediately.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, whelk said:

Doesn't make much sense but I think you are saying that those working for border force have hit their skill set ceiling and the reason why they can't be more efficient is because they are all too fucking stupid...

5 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Doesn't make much sense but I think you are saying that those working for border force have hit their skill set ceiling and the reason why they can't be more efficient is because they are all too fucking stupid...

Think you may be overly thinking the seriousness of the post.

Maybe we could abolish border control and really speed it up?

16 minutes ago, whelk said:

Think you may be overly thinking the seriousness of the post.

Maybe we could abolish border control and really speed it up?

But, but, but, the military are doing things far more efficiently and showing those lazy, rude, BF staff how things are supposed to be done.

Alexei told us so.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, rallyboy said:

Southern Water - they can't supply homes with actual fucking water, because they've redirected all the infrastructure investment money into bonuses, dividends and shareholder hedge funds, but if you prefer your local waterways flooded with human shit, they can find money to fund that immediately.

Serious question. Can anyone on here justify the privatisation of the water companies? And/or make the case for not renationalising?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Not me, look above

Your BBC post was put up a split second before my post, so I was not commenting on that. I was commenting on this from you, further up the page;

"As per when the Forces cover for civil authorities (like the fire strike being a prime example), far reduced staff numbers, limited training and little time to prepare....

What will happen, little will be learned from how the military succeed in such instances and a return to middle management, rainbow thinking and focus on net zero and lived experiences."

Any how, the BBC and SKY report on the same thing and come up with analyses that are poles apart. I suppose we should all default to the Telegraph's position.

Edited by badgerx16

It's interesting. According to Alexei's posts in the Russia thread, our forces would be overwhelmed by the Red Army in a couple of days if the Russians ever tried to invade.

On the other hand, according to Alexei, our forces are shit hot at border control. Better than the full time border force. 

Clearly our country has got its priorities wrong. Get rid of the army and just let the soldiers protect our borders.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

It's interesting. According to Alexei's posts in the Russia thread, our forces would be overwhelmed by the Red Army in a couple of days if the Russians ever tried to invade.

On the other hand, according to Alexei, our forces are shit hot at border control. Better than the full time border force. 

Clearly our country has got its priorities wrong. Get rid of the army and just let the soldiers protect our borders.

And replace the army in it's defensive role with battalions of GP receptionists. Nothing gets past them.

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Not me, look above

Simon Calder can be quite useless IMO. Used to think he was decent but now wheeled out by all channel as travel expert but most of what he is either blindingly obvious or sometimes foolhardy. Made an inappropriate comment about wanting to be frisked by a woman but seems to have got away with it

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I wish Soggy would go on a posting strike, that’s one I would fully support. 

Best Xmas present, new year present and 2023 present there is on here.

Im writing a letter to Santa @northpole as we speak. Hopefully not too late for it to get there.

Edited by The Kraken
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I think it's only fair that Border Force are sent on a military campaign, to show that their skills are transferable too. 🙂

1 hour ago, The Left Back said:

Serious question. Can anyone on here justify the privatisation of the water companies? And/or make the case for not renationalising?

I think you could probably expand that to any sector where there isn’t genuine competition. Water stands out but trains as well. I wouldn’t mind energy coming back into public ownership either.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, egg said:

What does the PM "getting a grip" look like? Giving in to demands for 19% raises, and in doing so raising the expectation of similar for other public sector workers? Funding it by borrowing more money and sending the markets into a tailspin, and pushing inflation even higher? Or Raising taxes making things even harder for people? Or perhaps it's standing firm and saying don't be so fucking stupid? 

Jesus Christ you are desperate for an argument aren’t you! Not one person on this planet believes that they are holding out for19% apart from maybe you. The whole point is sitting around a table and negotiating a settlement, which they will have to do at some point. Thank God you are not part of the negotiating team from the Government side. Or perhaps you are? 🥴

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

Jesus Christ you are desperate for an argument aren’t you! Not one person on this planet believes that they are holding out for19% apart from maybe you. The whole point is sitting around a table and negotiating a settlement, which they will have to do at some point. Thank God you are not part of the negotiating team from the Government side. Or perhaps you are? 🥴

As it's Christmas SoG I won't give the first sentence the response it deserves. Merry Christmas mate, I hope you have a good day.