Nathan Jones Poll

imadirtyurchin

Obviously there is a Nathan Jones Out thread but I wanted to see what percentage of this forum believe he should be sacked now?   

404 members have voted

1. 1. Should Nathan Jones be sacked now?

• Yes
    • No

For his own sake, yes. 

I genuinely feel for the bloke and his family. It’d been great had it worked, but it’s so bloody obvious it won’t. 

No hard feelings, move on before it becomes branfoot level of toxic. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Not sure I've seen the fanbase as United since Lowe. It's just not going to work with this bloke and he needs to go. 

You know, there's an entire generation of Saints fans that have no memory of Lowe. Scary stuff.

24 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

“Sacked now”. It’s a no from me. 

Do you think there's a likely prospect of us performing better than we did under Ralph with a more defined sense of identity? Because this manager hasn't shown anything to suggest that that's in any way likely. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

“Sacked now”. It’s a no from me. 

I am amazed because the writing on the wall simply could not be clearer. I feel for Jones, it is not his fault he is out of his depth. My anger is aimed directly at the person who thought Jones was what we needed when it was pretty obvious to virtually everyone he was the wrong choice.

• Like 15

7 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

I am amazed because the writing on the wall simply could not be clearer. I feel for Jones, it is not his fault he is out of his depth. My anger is aimed directly at the person who thought Jones was what we needed when it was pretty obvious to virtually everyone he was the wrong choice.

This point is important, bloke behind me at the game yesterday seemed to blame Jones for everything, f'ing Jones this and that, reality is he's out of his depth , I know via a contact at Luton that Saints made very clear we wanted him and can't really blame him for taking the job. The board and players deserve a lot of the criticism. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Jones is clearly terrible but WTF were the people who hired him thinking and looking at? Did they just look at the data and spreadsheets without watching any of Lutons games?

I feel sorry for him too, he's clearly not up to it but why wouldn't you take a premier league job. Unfortunately Jones is feeling the effects of a succession of cock ups going back 5 years. Selling best players, underinvestment in the team, poor leadership, poor recruitment, a board of silver tounged suited clowns who go on about the womens team and not caring where we finishing, then when we did finally have some cash to invest in the team we let some joker spunk it all on a load of kids and then fuck off within six months. It really has been a comedy of errors, but as manager Jones will carry the brunt of the fans anger which should more towards the directors box.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Jones is clearly terrible but WTF were the people who hired him thinking and looking at? Did they just look at the data and spreadsheets without watching any of Lutons games?

I feel sorry for him too, he's clearly not up to it but why wouldn't you take a premier league job. Unfortunately Jones is feeling the effects of a succession of cock ups going back 5 years. Selling best players, underinvestment in the team, poor leadership, poor recruitment, a board of silver tounged suited clowns who go on about the womens team and not caring where we finishing, then when we did finally have some cash to invest in the team we let some joker spunk it all on a load of kids and then fuck off within six months. It really has been a comedy of errors, but as manager Jones will carry the brunt of the fans anger which should more towards the directors box.

Good points and agree with most but who keeps picking Lyanco and Ely? Who keeps playing a formation we can’t play and in 3 games played better when reverted to 4 at back yet continues it?

I agree what did this board see in him that gave him the job because I am baffled. His football is alienated from everything we as a club have promoted over the last 5 years especially the progress in academy.

I don’t blame Jones taking job, I blame him for tactics, bullshit he sprouts, team selection and picking failing players and treatment of S Armstrong .

The board I blame for every decision in last year complete clusterfuck

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Give it to Ron said:

Good points and agree with most but who keeps picking Lyanco and Ely? Who keeps playing a formation we can’t play and in 3 games played better when reverted to 4 at back yet continues it?

I agree what did this board see in him that gave him the job because I am baffled. His football is alienated from everything we as a club have promoted over the last 5 years especially the progress in academy.

I don’t blame Jones taking job, I blame him for tactics, bullshit he sprouts, team selection and picking failing players and treatment of S Armstrong .

The board I blame for every decision in last year complete clusterfuck

I completely agree, he's terrible and not blameless. tactically and selection wise it's awful. Why did we hire a long ball manager? Genuinely i wouldn't be shocked if they had never seen any of his matches at Luton and picked him based on the data. 

• Like 3

I believe NJ to be way out of his depth as most on here do but sack him then what? Selles in charge for the rest of the season? Because I don't imagine there to be plenty of viable candidates atm, and even if there were do we have the cash? Let's say we do, we get the new guy in, then we just hand him this lot and expect him to pull off a miraculous escape? If we get relegated might as well do it with a bit of money then try and bounce right back up god willing.

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Spot on. 

I really don’t like or support the personal insults towards Jones. 

His style of play is horrific & he is extremely limited as a tactician, however that’s not his fault and it’s what has worked for him at Luton. 

His time at Stoke was a huge concern and we’ve come to see exactly why it didn’t work for him there. Had he replaced Dyce at Burnley maybe it’d have been different for him. 

I can only assume SR thought he could add some aggression to our side, but we don’t have the squad for it and buying a load of 18 year olds isn’t going to help that. 

By the week the appointment looks more baffling. 

• Like 1

Just now, way down south said:

I believe NJ to be way out of his depth as most on here do but sack him then what? Selles in charge for the rest of the season? Because I don't imagine there to be plenty of viable candidates atm, and even if there were do we have the cash? Let's say we do, we get the new guy in, then we just hand him this lot and expect him to pull off a miraculous escape? If we get relegated might as well do it with a bit of money then try and bounce right back up god willing.

Domenico Tedesco was successful with Leipzig and is out of contract right now, Bielsa is also available and will command respect and demand 100% effort. 

It's so bizarre that ordinarily we go for cheap out of contract options for managers so we don't have to pay compensation, and yet we went out of our way to pay for Jones when there were better options available for nothing.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

Domenico Tedesco was successful with Leipzig and is out of contract right now, Bielsa is also available and will command respect and demand 100% effort. 

It's so bizarre that ordinarily we go for cheap out of contract options for managers so we don't have to pay compensation, and yet we went out of our way to pay for Jones when there were better options available for nothing.

Yep. Also as I mentioned elsewhere Benitez and Dyche would be better than what we have. Absolutely untrue to say there's no alternative. 

• Like 3

He's incredibly unlikeable and, as is his lack of experience is showing on the field, it's also showing with and in the media with some absolutely ludicrous and isolating comments.

When Ralph came on board his PR was spot on from the word go, bought everyone at the ground a beer, got some belief. Jones: "what were you expecting Barcelona?" Fuck sake. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

They may be available BUT who in they right mind would willingly take charge of this team in it's current state unless it's another Jones type person?

• Confused 1

Just now, Greedyfly said:

He's incredibly unlikeable and, as is his lack of experience is showing on the field, it's also showing with and in the media with some absolutely ludicrous and isolating comments.

When Ralph came on board his PR was spot on from the word go, bought everyone at the ground a beer, got some belief. Jones: "what were you expecting Barcelona?" Fuck sake. 

TBF I quite liked what Jones had to say when he came in initially. His lack of experience and Stoke was concerning but he said some of the right things. Unfortunately it's gone wrong almost immediately and also the interviews he's now giving are frankly awful. 

1 minute ago, way down south said:

They may be available BUT who in they right mind would willingly take charge of this team in it's current state unless it's another Jones type person?

Someone who likes money, the prestige of managing in the premier league and most importantly has the belief in their own ability to manage a side to safety. Why did Jones take the job if he doesn't even believe he can do it, as evidenced by his constant belittling of the players in interviews and almost shrugging his shoulders as if to say "what am I supposed to do with this lot". 

6 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Tedesco was my pick when Ralph was sacked and was completely baffled we didn't go for him - he's so Saints-y!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Christophenburg said:

Tedesco was my pick when Ralph was sacked and was completely baffled we didn't go for him - he's so Saints-y!

His record with Schalke and Spartak Moscow was really good too. I looked him up when we sacked Ralph, he's never had less than 1.5 points a game as a manager - if he got that here that would have us on 42 points and almost certainly safe. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Yep. Also as I mentioned elsewhere Benitez and Dyche would be better than what we have. Absolutely untrue to say there's no alternative. 

I’d take either of those suggested, personally I want Benitez most. clear game plan and tactical ability. Give these players a kick up the backside to stay compact defensively 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LGTL said:

Never seen this board so united. I’m happy to call a spade a spade - Nathan Jones comes across as an utter wanker. I can only imagine what PL footballers think of him. 

If they care about this football club hopefully some of them will be going to the board with their concerns.

1 minute ago, SotonianWill said:

I’d take either of those suggested, personally I want Benitez most. clear game plan and tactical ability. Give these players a kick up the backside to stay compact defensively 

We need a manager with a bit of charisma and kudos. An experienced guy who these young lads could look up too. Unfortunately we will never employ someone like Benetiz because he'll want a say in transfers and that's all done by our spreadsheets jockeys.

9 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

I'd bite your arm off here and now for bielsa over Jones. Would actually turn us around, be attractive for new signings, and get us out of the championship if needed. He also wouldn't tolerate the shit we've seen from too many players lately. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2

Even if things were going brilliantly before he came in he would be the wrong appointment. Long ball football doesn’t work in this league and 3 at the back hasn’t worked at home either. So his fundamental beliefs and style is just wrong. You then add on that he feels unable to influence how we defend and outcomes we have a complete cluster fuck on our hands. Owners will suffer if relegated. So very high risk strategy to just stand by and watch this car crash happening.  Stupidity or arrogance or both 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Are we fit enough for his style?

Fair question, but do you seriously think we can stay up this year anyway? I think he'd have a chance of keeping us up, but having wasted the games we have I think it's a very steep ask now. That home loss to forest a significant nail in the coffin as well. 

Edited by Saint86

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

We need a manager with a bit of charisma and kudos. An experienced guy who these young lads could look up too. Unfortunately we will never employ someone like Benetiz because he'll want a say in transfers and that's all done by our spreadsheets jockeys.

is it still? or is orsic a sign they’ve ripped that up like the playbook? they should give benetez a budget and tell him to follow their soft guidelines when signing players. Also with gravy tits sean, he also has charisma and I think players like him. we win either way with the back of Mr Jones. 

Edited by SotonianWill

I think we need to forget trying to stay up - we don't have the squad, and it'll be 5-10 more games before a hypothetical new manger can claim any impact. Not saying we should keep Jones - but a short-term appointment seems pointless to me. Really we need someone who's going to ensure we don't completely wreck the confidence of our younger players, and lay the foundations (tactically, and with a core of players who won't leave in the Summer) for a promotion push next season. 

Hi chaps. Long time lurker. First time poster. 

Finally signed up on here just so I could vote in this poll, in the hope that as this is the biggest saints forum, someone at the club sees it. 

Last night was one the worst performances I have seen from a saints side and I include the relegations and the 9-0s. It was utterly embarrassing. He has to go. 

• Like 6

I think we’ll struggle to get the manager we need, I get the impression that Rasmus is pulling the strings and any manager would be employed to put his philosophy into action. Therefore completely ruling out any of the established names suggested.

34 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

Dyche for me. He'd demand a few of the kind of signings we need and he'd have the players playing for him, for the fans, and for each other. 

Give him a break clause if we go down, if he wants to leave.

Agreed.  Not who I would have chosen at the time we sacked Ralph but exactly what we need now.  Enough nous to winkle a few points out here and there and use the remaining time in the transfer window to bring in a couple of shithouses to give the side a bit of backbone.

• Like 1

You can't have 5 weeks with the team and put out the performances we have endured and stay in the job. If we had been battling or at least looked like we could win again then you could say give more time.

But there is no plan, clueless lineups and tactics. The players look lost and seeing as most of the fanbase never wanted Jones in the first place, you can only imagine the players reaction to him was disbelief. Probably even worse when they have to listen to him every day. He come across incredibly unlikeable.

• Like 3