Nathan Jones Poll

imadirtyurchin

Obviously there is a Nathan Jones Out thread but I wanted to see what percentage of this forum believe he should be sacked now?   

404 members have voted

1. 1. Should Nathan Jones be sacked now?

• Yes
    • No

15 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I think we’ll struggle to get the manager we need, I get the impression that Rasmus is pulling the strings and any manager would be employed to put his philosophy into action. Therefore completely ruling out any of the established names suggested.

Probably means whoever we hire needs to play 5 at the back as well. 

Worried we’re approaching a Pellegrino/Carrillo style junction of signing players to suit a manager that nobody wants here and probably won’t last the season, and will be stuck with a load of big lumps that no other manager is going to want to use.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Toussaint said:

I honestly believe that is the case. I suspect Ralph was forced into it, then ditched it, and maybe that contributed to his end.

I agree, think that definetly happened to some degree. But he was fooked from the moment they stitched him up with no good attacker's this summer. It's no wonder he was a broken man by the end. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, Toussaint said:

I honestly believe that is the case. I suspect Ralph was forced into it, then ditched it, and maybe that contributed to his end.

Big possibility. 

whoever was responsible, pre-season was an utter disgrace. We came into this season totally unprepared and have been on the back foot ever since 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

I agree, think that definetly happened to some degree. But he was fooked from the moment they stitched him up with no good attacker's this summer. It's no wonder he was a broken man by the end. 

A broken man last night you said was the biggest mistake we have made in sacking him!

He was let down badly sacking him wasn’t wrong Jones is!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

I completely agree, he's terrible and not blameless. tactically and selection wise it's awful. Why did we hire a long ball manager? Genuinely i wouldn't be shocked if they had never seen any of his matches at Luton and picked him based on the data. 

Tbf, those data nerds don’t have a fucking clue. 

We had idiots on here claiming Adam Armstrong was a better striker with more potential than Broja, because of his stats or something. 

Data can be useful, but as said time and time again, it needs to be used alongside proper scouting. 

2 hours ago, imadirtyurchin said:

What’s the threshold for you?(Genuinely asked with no snark)

He wouldn’t have been my choice, but we are where we are.

So the question is do we sack him after 4 games (forget the Liverpool game because most new managers would have sat that out, protecting their “record” & if we’d won I’m sure this forum would have chalked it down to Selles), and without bringing one of his own players in?

Two important things. Firstly, he’s not a “shit manager”, he’s not a “Sunday league manager” or any of the other nonsense posted on here. He did a damn fine job at Luton. In terms of over performing he’s probably one of the top over performers in the FL at that club. So as a club looking for a FL manager to step up to the next level we’ve taken a chance on him. He’s clearly not at that level yet and is learning on the job, whether he will learn and grow enough is incredibly doubtful at the moment. 

Secondly, he’s been handed a steaming pile of shite, probably the most disjointed softest squad we’ve ever had in the top flight. A damning indictment of the previous regime and present owners. Ralph let this situation drift, bought into this pony and had a fucking long time (in modern terms)to drive the culture in the club. This is just as much his mess as anyone else’s. 

Personally, I prefer to see who comes in during the window before pulling the plug, see if there’s a change in attitude and culture within the club. Somebody needs to take it by the scruff of the neck, get rid of the losing mentality and upset a few of the precious darlings. Personally, I think he deserves the chance to do this. I understand peoples anger and don’t think I’m a “better fan” than them. But with this shower of shite, the next bloke that comes in will face exactly the same problem.   As he’s SR’s man, and the loss of face that’ll come with sacking him, he maybe given more leeway to do the nasty stuff and kick a few arses. Making a few tweaks to Ralph’s playbook won’t cut it. 

For anyone to think Rafa or Bialsa, would go anywhere near this lot is delusion of the highest order. Dyche or a Fat Sam won’t put up with these mincers. Both would sort out the men from the boys. I’d give Jones a month to see if he will. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Dman said:

Tbf, those data nerds don’t have a fucking clue. 

We had idiots on here claiming Adam Armstrong was a better striker with more potential than Broja, because of his stats or something. 

Data can be useful, but as said time and time again, it needs to be used alongside proper scouting. 

We should consider the shitshow out club is as conclusive proof trying to play football manager is real life doesn’t work

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

TBF I quite liked what Jones had to say when he came in initially. His lack of experience and Stoke was concerning but he said some of the right things. Unfortunately it's gone wrong almost immediately and also the interviews he's now giving are frankly awful. 

To each his own.  His "onboarding interview" was the usual banal media taught snooze fest for me.  But when let loose on his own - oh boy!  What inspiration!

57 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

A broken man last night you said was the biggest mistake we have made in sacking him!

He was let down badly sacking him wasn’t wrong Jones is!

I suspect you'd be a broken man if you'd spent 4 years battling tooth and nail to save and rebuild the club, only to be finally promised a striker, let down, instructed to play 5 at the back, and then hung out to dry by the board... Not backing him this season and sacking him now is one very large combined mistake by SR. He has been the main thing keeping us in the league. If he had been backed this summer with good attacker's we'd be comfortably mid table and the entire atmosphere around the club would be better. 

Anyway, I don't see why are you following me around the board to continue/rehash an argument in which we are diametrically opposed 🤔. I'm not going to drastically change my view I'm afraid. 🤷‍♂️

He should have been backed and kept, instead of being hung out to dry for months and sacked. He absolutely shouldn't have been sacked without having another quality mananger lined up 😔

We have utterly torpedoed the club's season and future... He would have had a full strength team this January as it was (with which he beat Chelsea and outplayed United) before the injuries kicked in, and we absolutely should have had a striker arriving on the 1st Jan. Its one ginormous car crash of mismanagement by SR, and now we are staring relegation in the face and unable to manage a shot on goal at home to one of the worst sides I've ever seen at SMS in the Premier league.

All of which is irrelevant to the point myself, Toussaint, and others were discussing re the odd transition to a back 5 this season under SR. Which it seems plausible was enforced by SR and matches the recruitment decisions we've taken and the choice of the new mananger. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 6

Should never have been appointed in the first place, as any sane Saints fan could've told you (and certainly did).

After last night,  should have been sacked before he made it back as far as the dressing room.

More to add, but will save for another topic. 

8 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Domenico Tedesco was successful with Leipzig and is out of contract right now, 

8 hours ago, Christophenburg said:

Tedesco was my pick when Ralph was sacked and was completely baffled we didn't go for him - he's so Saints-y!

8 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

His record with Schalke and Spartak Moscow was really good too. I looked him up when we sacked Ralph, he's never had less than 1.5 points a game as a manager - if he got that here that would have us on 42 points and almost certainly safe. 

Tedesco might have been a good choice earlier in the season, but in our current position taking a manager with no EPL experience is another gamble.

Also, you’d have to ask if he might be a manager to bring us back up again. 

Personally unless we can pull something spectacular off I think a caretaker to get us through until the end of the season ( perhaps Benitez, or Dyche, if they’d take it) with a review it at the end of the season deal might be as good as we can hope for. 

Edited by Badger
  • Like 1

Benitez or Dyche would never take a job like this. There’s one of the worst squads we’ve ever had there in the premier league if not the worst. 

when we went down last time at least we had a go, scored a load of goals and tried. The club has been sleepwalking g to this day for about 6 years. Chickens haven’t just come home to roost, they’ve had the interior decorator in, changed the locks and put  welcome to our home wreath on the front door. 

7 minutes ago, Rory Peepa said:

Benitez or Dyche would never take a job like this. There’s one of the worst squads we’ve ever had there in the premier league if not the worst. 

when we went down last time at least we had a go, scored a load of goals and tried. The club has been sleepwalking g to this day for about 6 years. Chickens haven’t just come home to roost, they’ve had the interior decorator in, changed the locks and put  welcome to our home wreath on the front door. 

we at least took it to the last game of the season.  Simplest terms, we were 1 goal from survival...

7 hours ago, Osvaldorama said:

Big possibility. 

whoever was responsible, pre-season was an utter disgrace. We came into this season totally unprepared and have been on the back foot ever since 

Hey Os, Im guessing I know you from the other side, usually getting shit from Chilco, Laces and Onionman 😂

welcome if it’s you, and welcome if it’s not!

• Like 1

The man has to go, it's as simple as that, the longer he stays the more serious long term damage he does.

Bring someone who can command respect and get the team to buy into - I still think we'll go down but at least we might be able to retain a few of the players if they're playing for the manager.

They'll *never* play for this loser. 

50 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Paul Doswell’s interview here I found it interesting 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0dthpkz

Good listen that and impossible not too agree with everything Paul and Adam said. Jones is so far out of his depth it's unreal. Nothing about him says 'I'm a premiership manager'. Watching him last night on the touch line, he looked like a local crack head who'd run from his seat in the Chapel to the technical area and got away with it for 90 minutes.   

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rory Peepa said:

Dyche would take the job without a moments thought, without a doubt.

2 hours ago, Colinjb said:

Right time for a change when Ralph left, entirely wrong man brought in.

Pay him off, bring in someone capable of inspiring the players.

It wasn’t the right time at all, it should have happened at the end of last season. 

It’s the biggest reason we’re in this mess, waiting and waiting for the inevitable to happen. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

It wasn’t the right time at all, it should have happened at the end of last season. 

It’s the biggest reason we’re in this mess, waiting and waiting for the inevitable to happen. 

In fairness, don't disagree. It really did feel like forever.

55 minutes ago, imadirtyurchin said:

Ive never heard adam blackmore be so openly critical.

Because he was up Ralph’s arse. Brentford away was as bad last season and he didn’t get into Ralph. It’s also bizarre the way he starts by saying he feels sorry for Cowley because he’s been there longer, and it’s different circumstances. Cowley’s had 2 seasons to get his ideas across and build a side and has clearly failed. Blackmore clearly showing his bias there. I could understand it if he said “I feel a bit sorry for jones who has inherited a mess BUT”. No, he feels sorry for the bloke whose been given time and blown it. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, johnnyboy said:

Paul Doswell’s interview here I found it interesting 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0dthpkz

That's very damming, and from another manager who often sit on their side of the fence even more damming. Fair enough he's a fan, but he still has the other view point and that's not even changing his views.

I agree, he looks totally out of his depth. Rabbit in headlights is what I'd say, and I can't help but feel sorry for him as Paul said in there - he's been thrown under the bus, he should not be at this level.

It worked at Luton because he was able to create an environment which worked for him, players he knew, players who could suit that way. He's come in here to a team full of International players and I don't think he has any idea what to do. The 'hit it long' tactic is something you see most teams try at the end of games when they're desperate and they're throwing tactics out of the window, but to play that way in every game for 90 mins is indictive of no tactical plan or tactical skills - just hit it long and hope for something. Our players, whilst very limited, are still better than that.

I don't see how he goes though, that's my concern. There are a lot of egos which would need to be hit very hard in order for the change to happen.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Because he was up Ralph’s arse. Brentford away was as bad last season and he didn’t get into Ralph. It’s also bizarre the way he starts by saying he feels sorry for Cowley because he’s been there longer, and it’s different circumstances. Cowley’s had 2 seasons to get his ideas across and build a side and has clearly failed. Blackmore clearly showing his bias there. I could understand it if he said “I feel a bit sorry for jones who has inherited a mess BUT”. No, he feels sorry for the bloke whose been given time and blown it. 

I agree that he sometimes seemed to shy from asking the tough questions of Ralph - but I was of the impression that was to preserve his access within the club. 

interesting to hear that he doesn’t seem to have this access now - been waiting for an interview with SR about their plan for the last year: so seems like the gloves are off a bit.

thought doswell’s opinions of Nathan Jones being not a premier league level manager in terms of ability and tactic was interesting. Especially as he’s within the game and so is probably much more aware than many ‘normal’ fans. It was Refreshing to hear a fellow manager be so candid. What did you think of his opinion about Jones?  

• Like 1

In all honesty I don't think the players of fans have warmed to him he just seems pretty unlikeable doesn't have any real charisma or motivational qualities either. 

I'm struggling to see what he brings to the table.

I keep thinking back to that training video where he was " miced up " 

I was willing to give the man a chance but even then watching it. Something didn't sit right with me he just looked like a PE teacher shouting and bellowing maniacally and pupils who couldn't give a f 

That's the impression I got it just looked daft. 

As for the football? I'm still baffled does anybody know the gameplan or style of play? Apart from lump it up top? 

I can't see Jones turning this around if fans and other football pundits think he is out depth.

Then what must our players think? Must think who is this 🤡  

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Do the right thing now save face pay him compo admit he was a failure and get somebody in who is at least capable of setting up a football team with some actual sense of style of play and leadership....

Edited by ally_uk
Spell
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, imadirtyurchin said:

thought doswell’s opinions of Nathan Jones being not a premier league level manager in terms of ability and tactic was interesting. Especially as he’s within the game and so is probably much more aware than many ‘normal’ fans. It was Refreshing to hear a fellow manager be so candid. What did you think of his opinion about Jones?  

Well he’s clearly a better manager than the Havant & Waterloovile one but he’s not premier league level, whether he will be in time is a different matter. 

I think a broadcaster should be consistent, they’re piling into to Jones in a way they didn’t to Ralph, Blackmore sucked up to him constantly. They’ve done it here, contrast Blackmores words about Cowley to his words about Jones. Supporters are emotionally charged, but professional broadcasters should take the emotion out of it. 

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Well he’s clearly a better manager than the Havant & Waterloovile one but he’s not premier league level, whether he will be in time is a different matter. 

I think a broadcaster should be consistent, they’re piling into to Jones in a way they didn’t to Ralph, Blackmore sucked up to him constantly. They’ve done it here, contrast Blackmores words about Cowley to his words about Jones. Supporters are emotionally charged, but professional broadcasters should take the emotion out of it. 

I do agree with some of that. I thought Blackmore let himself down when he called fans entitled. I think criticism of Jones is fair enough but he certainly needed to be more incisive with Ralph. 

1 hour ago, ally_uk said:

As for the football? I'm still baffled does anybody know the gameplan or style of play? Apart from lump it up top? 

I can't see Jones turning this around if fans and other football pundits think he is out depth.

Then what must our players think? Must think who is this 🤡  

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

If there is it’s obvious that the players haven’t been told.

2 hours ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

Well... That, from both Paul and Adam, is about as damning as it can get.

The fact that sensible and normally level headed people are seriously suggesting that a manager should leave after 4 games and just a few weeks speaks volumes to be honest. This really is quite a unique situation. 

7 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I do agree with some of that. I thought Blackmore let himself down when he called fans entitled. I think criticism of Jones is fair enough but he certainly needed to be more incisive with Ralph. 

Didn’t you think, in a subtle way, Doswell picked him up on that when he said words to the effect of “don’t re-write history with Ralph…”

34 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

All those who voted to keep Jones should have a long hard listen

If Nathan Jones is persisted with this is likely to be the first of many damning  media comments from local football figures and ex players who care about Southampton FC. It’s on the Board in terms of duration and intensity. I can’t see any feasible positive way forward with NJ remaining at the club. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

All those who voted to keep Jones should have a long hard listen

I'd like those voting to keep Jones to explain why, and how they believe he can improve performances and results. I can't see a single positive. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Didn’t you think, in a subtle way, Doswell picked him up on that when he said words to the effect of “don’t re-write history with Ralph…”

I think that's when Adam accused him of wanting Ralph to go. I think it's clear that Adam's view is that we have an awful squad and that Ralph was doing a good job (although that doesn't explain his comments about the summer transfer window.) interesting though how everyone is clear with this bloke that he needs to go even if you wanted Ralph to stay. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, egg said:

I'd like those voting to keep Jones to explain why, and how they believe he can improve performances and results. I can't see a single positive. 

I didn’t want him, but we are where we are. For me it’s just a timing issue. I think the mentality needs an overhaul & some senior players brought in. Sacking him with Ralph’s players and Ralph’s culture of softness is incredibly harsh imo. Personally, I’d give him to the end of the month to see if there’s a step change in attitude and toughness. Is he big enough to impose his culture at the club? Looks doubtful, but unless somebody does, this group of son in laws are going down regardless of who manages us.  

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Hey Os, Im guessing I know you from the other side, usually getting shit from Chilco, Laces and Onionman 😂

welcome if it’s you, and welcome if it’s not!

Hi mate! Yeah it’s me. Thought I’d start afresh somewhere new and get away from them all. Hope you’re good? 

I have learned my lesson never to talk about politics ever again online and just focus on saints. 

On that note; this poll is insane. The most one sided poll ever on here?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

Hi mate! Yeah it’s me. Thought I’d start afresh somewhere new and get away from them all. Hope you’re good? 

I have learned my lesson never to talk about politics ever again online and just focus on saints. 

On that note; this poll is insane. The most one sided poll ever on here?

Hiya Os, the Politcis thread there is why i left, it spills over and carries on to other threads, they play the poster.

This polls yep very one sided, I however think he shouldn’t be sacked just yet.

I dont think it looks good, but he inherited a piss weak team, both mentally and physically, this is Ralphs team and whilst it may not work out, 4 games is unfair. 

I think give him til end of the month see what players we have in, see how they play. He may surprise us, ive not given up hope just yet, and I had given up hope with Ralph.

Btw - im pretty sure the Onionman posts on here - im sure you may recognise the image…

Edited by Billy the Kidd
  • Like 1