Atmosphere in the Chapel (and in general)

niceandfriendly

I'm in Block 36 and can never hear the Chapel singing. Not saying they don't but it's not loud enough to carry down to where we are. 

Would say it was average in general today. Singing about Pompey spending 10 more years in League 1 while they are 3-0 up away from home is dumb.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Thought the atmosphere was dire again today, especially considering how well we played. Maybe it was too comfortable. Too many people just don't wanna get involved and sit on their hands.

It’s weirdly crap, feels like last few seasons have sucked the life out of the fans. We also have a real lack of songs atm, 

There also seems to be an expectation now that we turn up and win and win comfortably. I’m not sure where that mindset comes from, this is a tough league, 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Thought the atmosphere was dire again today, especially considering how well we played. Maybe it was too comfortable. Too many people just don't wanna get involved and sit on their hands.

100% - summed up nicely in the Northam by the old geezer in front of me literally on the Sky Sports app / FB on his phone for the whole 90 mins & 2 old dears talking about their kids the whole of the second half

Just f*ck off home & watch the game on your sofa!!

Topped off with more endless, tedious P*mpey songs, no songs about current players but managed songs on SRL & Gabbiadini - the Northam is fast becoming a joke!!

Edited by warsash saint
  • Like 2

Singing isn't the same thing as atmosphere, but I agree it helps during the quiet periods. The fixation on Pompey is embarrassing. You wouldn't catch Man U fans singing about Oldham, Liverpool about Tranmere or Newcastle about Hartlepool. Come on Saints fans, if you want to be a big club show some ambition.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, warsash saint said:

100% - summed up nicely in the Northam by the old geezer in front of me literally on the Sky Sports app / FB on his phone for the whole 90 mins & 2 old dears talking about their kids the whole of the second half

Just f*ck off home & watch the game on your sofa!!

Topped off with more endless, tedious P*mpey songs, no songs about current players but managed songs on SRL & Gabbiadini - the Northam is fast becoming a joke!!

The songs about old players are bizarre, one of our best performances of the season and people keep singing about Gabbiadini, totally weird. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Appy said:

The songs about old players are bizarre, one of our best performances of the season and people keep singing about Gabbiadini, totally weird. 

Yeah definitely. I can understand if we sing it against Swansea given that his goal sent them down but it was hardly like he even was an important player for us like MLT or Lambert

I can vouch for the difference that's been made. I returned to the Chapel for the first time in years yesterday next to Block 14 and it has transformed the atmosphere at that end, from an environment where previously, I felt embarrassed to be singing Oh When The Saints practically solo and promising myself to never sit there again. Before, the only noise generated was when we scored. Now, there is singing all the way through the match.

There were a quite a few Pompey chants but I don't think it's got worse - make of that what you will. I'm fine with the occasional bit of one-sided banter, but there was a solid ten minute period of this in the first half which only ended with the stoppage in play for the Cardiff player about 33 minutes in. I do get the distinct impression that the bold claims of "kick their fucking heads in" are very much empty threats, so it's about as inaccurate as the "Ten More Years In League One" chant.

I liked the moment where after a few minutes of singing "Aribo" to Spandau Ballet, someone in an adjacent block tried to change the subject to a Pompey song, but to no avail as everyone else continued on as they were. Singing about a team that isn't involved with the game I'm watching is really not for me, and I have to admit I'd rather learn the words to the Woolston Fucking Ferry, despite not being keen on it before,  but at least it celebrates Southampton in a weird way, and I actually welcomed it getting a short outing yesterday. 

Don't get me wrong, most of the singing is OWTS or some variation on Saints Til I Die, COYR etc. Yes, there was a Rickie Lambert song for a brief moment but I think part of this is maybe down to the high player turnover. It's not easy getting songs going if they're off soon, or injured, or not good enough, or shipped out on loan. As I think we're a good bet for at least playoffs this season, hopefully this changes. Just let us occasional supporters know what the lyrics and the tunes are, and I would be happy to join in with any new ones next time I'm there. 

If you're sitting in the opposite corner near the Northam, I reckon there were maybe 200 (?) of us standing near the back of Block 14, so of course you're not going to hear us over the thousands making up the Northam end. Russell Martin won't be walking over to the Chapel giving us the fist pumps anytime soon, but compared to the rest of the rest of the stadium it makes a huge difference. Early on someone and his lad walked up the steps to join us as "They're too quiet over there", but for all I know, he might have just been referring to the very front of the block. Chapel has the reputation for being the quiet stand but I don't see the Itchen or Kingsland being much better, at least for the halves near the Chapel.

One of the main reasons for bothering to watch Saints live is because I enjoy the noise. I can tolerate a calmer vibe when it's a women's match but it's literally a different crowd for those games and no big deal when it's so much cheaper. I think it's fair to expect a higher level on and off the pitch in the men's game. I think Southampton support has always been fairly average since moving to St Mary's, and exemplified by the exodus that happens from 80-83 minutes played. Adam Blackmore has been making a point of mentioning it this season and it happened again yesterday. I just can't believe the amount of early trains that need to be caught.

Anyway, more singing in the non-Northam areas of the ground can only be a good thing. It's something the club should have made way more effort to encourage. At least it's happening now.

Hope to be back next time against Blackburn. COYS

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

I can vouch for the difference that's been made. I returned to the Chapel for the first time in years yesterday next to Block 14 and it has transformed the atmosphere at that end, from an environment where previously, I felt embarrassed to be singing Oh When The Saints practically solo and promising myself to never sit there again. Before, the only noise generated was when we scored. Now, there is singing all the way through the match.

There were a quite a few Pompey chants but I don't think it's got worse - make of that what you will. I'm fine with the occasional bit of one-sided banter, but there was a solid ten minute period of this in the first half which only ended with the stoppage in play for the Cardiff player about 33 minutes in. I do get the distinct impression that the bold claims of "kick their fucking heads in" are very much empty threats, so it's about as inaccurate as the "Ten More Years In League One" chant.

I liked the moment where after a few minutes of singing "Aribo" to Spandau Ballet, someone in an adjacent block tried to change the subject to a Pompey song, but to no avail as everyone else continued on as they were. Singing about a team that isn't involved with the game I'm watching is really not for me, and I have to admit I'd rather learn the words to the Woolston Fucking Ferry, despite not being keen on it before,  but at least it celebrates Southampton in a weird way, and I actually welcomed it getting a short outing yesterday. 

Don't get me wrong, most of the singing is OWTS or some variation on Saints Til I Die, COYR etc. Yes, there was a Rickie Lambert song for a brief moment but I think part of this is maybe down to the high player turnover. It's not easy getting songs going if they're off soon, or injured, or not good enough, or shipped out on loan. As I think we're a good bet for at least playoffs this season, hopefully this changes. Just let us occasional supporters know what the lyrics and the tunes are, and I would be happy to join in with any new ones next time I'm there. 

If you're sitting in the opposite corner near the Northam, I reckon there were maybe 200 (?) of us standing near the back of Block 14, so of course you're not going to hear us over the thousands making up the Northam end. Russell Martin won't be walking over to the Chapel giving us the fist pumps anytime soon, but compared to the rest of the rest of the stadium it makes a huge difference. Early on someone and his lad walked up the steps to join us as "They're too quiet over there", but for all I know, he might have just been referring to the very front of the block. Chapel has the reputation for being the quiet stand but I don't see the Itchen or Kingsland being much better, at least for the halves near the Chapel.

One of the main reasons for bothering to watch Saints live is because I enjoy the noise. I can tolerate a calmer vibe when it's a women's match but it's literally a different crowd for those games and no big deal when it's so much cheaper. I think it's fair to expect a higher level on and off the pitch in the men's game. I think Southampton support has always been fairly average since moving to St Mary's, and exemplified by the exodus that happens from 80-83 minutes played. Adam Blackmore has been making a point of mentioning it this season and it happened again yesterday. I just can't believe the amount of early trains that need to be caught.

Anyway, more singing in the non-Northam areas of the ground can only be a good thing. It's something the club should have made way more effort to encourage. At least it's happening now.

Hope to be back next time against Blackburn. COYS

Agree with all of that. Glad to see we’re making a difference. Long may it continue 👍

• Like 1

Saints have opened up block 43 of the Northam stand for the Blackburn and Swansea home games coming up, small away followings expected so further scope to open even more if sell, should help the atmosphere growing the 'home end' behind the goal , away fans tucked away in blocks 45-47. 

On 04/12/2023 at 18:37, Harold K Steptoe said:

80mins of Fratton falling down and the rest all anti Pompey songs.

Maybe it's an age thing. I really couldn't give a monkeys about that lot, most weeks I totally forget they exist and rarely check their results. Can't even bring myself to say that I hate them, all seems very silly. Probably the youngsters who can't stop singing about them, bit sad.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, niceandfriendly said:

Maybe it's an age thing. I really couldn't give a monkeys about that lot, most weeks I totally forget they exist and rarely check their results. Can't even bring myself to say that I hate them, all seems very silly. Probably the youngsters who can't stop singing about them, bit sad.

I think it also might depend on where you live / work and if you have to mix with them, anyone who has to spend time in the company of Pompey fans has a constant reminder of the rivalry. 

• Like 2

I sat in the Chapel/Kingsland corner on Saturday and the atmosphere was much better than I expected with a lot of singing coming from the back of the Chapel and we were able to join in without looking like Billy-no-mates doing a solo!  However, I thought the idea of the Back of The Chapel group was to sing pro-Southampton songs and not sing about f**king Pompey every five minutes so was disappointed to hear so much of that.  But generally, fair play to the lads and lasses who are trying - it certainly made the atmosphere a lot better and hopefully it will spread.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else think block 15 is getting worse rather than better as season goes on?

Very quickly turning into the Cokehead Corner imo, full of angry shouty people who aren't contributing to the atmosphere in the way they think they are.

Also worth pointing out that singing songs about Ormerod and Gabbiadini isn't going to get lots of other people involved at this end of the ground.

Edited by EssEffCee
  • Like 1

On 06/12/2023 at 17:54, Bourne Valley Saint said:

I sat in the Chapel/Kingsland corner on Saturday and the atmosphere was much better than I expected with a lot of singing coming from the back of the Chapel and we were able to join in without looking like Billy-no-mates doing a solo!  However, I thought the idea of the Back of The Chapel group was to sing pro-Southampton songs and not sing about f**king Pompey every five minutes so was disappointed to hear so much of that.  But generally, fair play to the lads and lasses who are trying - it certainly made the atmosphere a lot better and hopefully it will spread.

Agreed. The lads at the back are making a great effort in getting some atmosphere going but it was less than 2 mins into the game before that bloody fratton park falling down song started. Stick to pro Saints songs a bit more and more people might join in

• Like 1

13 hours ago, EssEffCee said:

Anyone else think block 15 is getting worse rather than better as season goes on?

Very quickly turning into the Cokehead Corner imo, full of angry shouty people who aren't contributing to the atmosphere in the way they think they are.

Also worth pointing out that singing songs about Ormerod and Gabbiadini isn't going to get lots of other people involved at this end of the ground.

Hard to disagree with that. Potential is still there though. 

one thing I will say is no one gets on the players backs which is a step in the right direction. 

cut out the Pompey chants and it’s a good time (and cheapest)

• Like 4

That Hansa support looks a bit geeky but good away numbers and noisy. In an ideal world you wouldn't need all the organised European stuff but there's nothing over here anymore, it's a mess - but it does piss off Klopp so that's one good thing

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67782829

Edited by TheAlehouseBrawlers
Got my Hansas and Hamburgs mixed up...

Klippety very critical of the Anfield atmosphere for the last two games. I saw bits of their game v Man U at the weekend and every crowd shot seemed to be packed with tourists. When ticket prices are at the level they are, and player wages so obscene even outside of the PL and CL clubs, the fans he describes as should be ‘on their toes 1000%’ are priced out. 

4 hours ago, Gloucester Saint said:

Klippety very critical of the Anfield atmosphere for the last two games. I saw bits of their game v Man U at the weekend and every crowd shot seemed to be packed with tourists. When ticket prices are at the level they are, and player wages so obscene even outside of the PL and CL clubs, the fans he describes as should be ‘on their toes 1000%’ are priced out. 

Killing the goose that lays the golden egg springs to mind.

The EPL and especially the ‘big clubs’ will eventually realise they’ve ruined the ‘product’ or perhaps  they won’t be bothered if the tourists continue to pay to sit in silence taking selfies. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gloucester Saint said:

Makes me irrationally angry every time I watch a game on TV and it goes to a close up shot of a corner/throw in and you see dozens of people in the crowd taking hasty, blurry, out of focus photos of the back of a player's head for some reason. What are they ever going to do with those photos? Absolutely pointless.

• Like 1

On 18/12/2023 at 23:03, ImproveOurAtmosphere said:

Hard to disagree with that. Potential is still there though. 

one thing I will say is no one gets on the players backs which is a step in the right direction. 

cut out the Pompey chants and it’s a good time (and cheapest)

Agreed mate, it's by no means a dig at what you're doing as it's stil hundred hundred times better than the chapel has ever been and I applaud your efforts.

I just feel it's potentially going in the wrong direction and that this season is vital to build on and attract others for next season. Towards the beginning of the season we were getting long renditions of "Russell Martin's red army" which were spreading  whereas now they're fizzling out in favour of a skate song

As you say the potential is definitely there and it's good that people are trying to create some noise at least. I'll continue with trying to contribute further down the block!

On 23/12/2023 at 07:41, EssEffCee said:

Agreed mate, it's by no means a dig at what you're doing as it's stil hundred hundred times better than the chapel has ever been and I applaud your efforts.

I just feel it's potentially going in the wrong direction and that this season is vital to build on and attract others for next season. Towards the beginning of the season we were getting long renditions of "Russell Martin's red army" which were spreading  whereas now they're fizzling out in favour of a skate song

As you say the potential is definitely there and it's good that people are trying to create some noise at least. I'll continue with trying to contribute further down the block!

Was poor yesterday. perhaps too many sore heads. Think it helps when it doesn’t sell out as more people come up and join in the rows in front of us. 

fewer Pompey songs was a nice change though. 

I was in Block 15 for Swansea game, having decided on sitting there as a result of some of the chat in this thread. My two teenage lads loved it and joined in the songs throughout. So well done to ImproveOurAtmosphere and all the other lads - it is making it a much more lively part of the ground to be in. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

Just seen this on the UI regards moving away fans/safe standing, franniesTache has been posting on here recently, seems reliable...

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/forum/304668/page:2/#33

The away fans should never be directly behind the goal. Makes no sense. I think of Everton, Leicester, Crystal Palace, Bournemouth. All of these clubs (and more) place the away fans in the stands at the side of the pitch.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

Just seen this on the UI regards moving away fans/safe standing, franniesTache has been posting on here recently, seems reliable...

last time i vouched for something Franniestache said i was accused of "arrogantly giving him my stamp of approval" so i'll chose my words carefully. FranniesTache is known and trusted to the CoT personally with good connections in the football world.  If he says something is happening it usually does as has come from a very well placed source. He broke the news of the SR take over before it was even in the media for example. He is in the elite group of posters where we have a 100% hit rate on this forum with ITK news. 

We have a great chance now to create the mythical Kop end. Now watch all the Northam lot move to the chapel so they can be alongside the away fans again. :facepalm:

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, sfc4prem said:

The away fans should never be directly behind the goal. Makes no sense. I think of Everton, Leicester, Crystal Palace, Bournemouth. All of these clubs (and more) place the away fans in the stands at the side of the pitch.

Works both ways though cos as an away fan I'd much prefer to be behind the goal than the area of any of those grounds you mention. I actually think away behind the goal does make the most sense with the most vocal home fans behind the other. Bit like what Brighton have.

Think our fanbase have grossly overstated its importance on the actual match too personally. All that rubbish about it being responsible for our poor home record when really we were just a bit shit.

5 hours ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

I thought the Old Bill liked to keep an eye on the away fans and wanted them close at hand.

3 minutes ago, EssEffCee said:

Works both ways though cos as an away fan I'd much prefer to be behind the goal than the area of any of those grounds you mention. I actually think away behind the goal does make the most sense with the most vocal home fans behind the other. Bit like what Brighton have.

Think our fanbase have grossly overstated its importance on the actual match too personally. All that rubbish about it being responsible for our poor home record when really we were just a bit shit.

That's exactly it. We want away fans to be treated like shite, have a poor view, and not be able to direct their support/animosity towards a goal area, affecting either our keeper or 'sucking the ball into the net', as that old commentator's phrase goes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sfc4prem said:

This. It surely can't be that difficult to place away fans in the Kingsland South, for example, with coaches parking on Melbourne Street. If necessary that whole area could be fenced off before/after games. Then we have two full home ends, one hopefully with standing. Away fans are out of sight of tv cameras and not in a position to have as much influence as they do now.

4 hours ago, Turkish said:

We have a great chance now to create the mythical Kop end. Now watch all the Northam lot move to the chapel so they can be alongside the away fans again. :facepalm:

The Northam is pretty crap these days anyway so if they want to, let them. Make the whole Northam End for anyone who wants to sing and properly get behind the team.

7 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

That's exactly it. We want away fans to be treated like shite, have a poor view, and not be able to direct their support/animosity towards a goal area, affecting either our keeper or 'sucking the ball into the net', as that old commentator's phrase goes.

No such thing as a poor view in most modern stadia tbf, especially a single tiered one like ours. I don't really want away fans treated like shite either it ain't the fucking 80s.

I don't think it has anywhere near a big an impact as people make out and apparently this move will also put them behind the goal so won't make any difference in that regard.

57 minutes ago, EssEffCee said:

No such thing as a poor view in most modern stadia tbf, especially a single tiered one like ours. I don't really want away fans treated like shite either it ain't the fucking 80s.

I don't think it has anywhere near a big an impact as people make out and apparently this move will also put them behind the goal so won't make any difference in that regard.

Not exactly true. Try sitting in the extreme wings of the Kingsland or Itchen where you’re looking across the pitch 10 yards behind the goal. Your neck will have a permanent crick afterwards.

Don’t underestimate the extra urgency of playing towards a goal packed with your own supporters behind it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EssEffCee said:

Go and sit on row A in Block 35 then if you don't reckon there can be poor views in IKEA quick-built modern stadia.

You think we should roll out the red carpet for away fans, eh? Give them a great experience? Fair enough.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Not exactly true. Try sitting in the extreme wings of the Kingsland or Itchen where you’re looking across the pitch 10 yards behind the goal. Your neck will have a permanent crick afterwards.

Don’t underestimate the extra urgency of playing towards a goal packed with your own supporters behind it.

18 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

Go and sit on row A in Block 35 then if you don't reckon there can be poor views in IKEA quick-built modern stadia.

You think we should roll out the red carpet for away fans, eh? Give them a great experience? Fair enough.

Well when the words 'poor view' are mentioned I tend to equate that with obstacles to the pitch or being miles away like at Newcastle. Of course there are better and worse views but I personally wouldn't call any seat at SMS a 'poor' view and yes I've sat all over the ground.

I absolutely am not underestimating the impact of shooting towards own fans, it is negligible at best. If it was any more than that then away fans behind goals would be the minority and not the majority.

You really think with all the data in football these days that all these clubs are missing a trick and it's only a few Saints fans who have noticed the huge impact this has? Completely ridiculous.

I wonder how Arsenal went unbeaten that season with away fans behind the goal, or how Liverpool have only lost one home league match in years with away fans behind the goal, or how we've managed to win four in a row without conceding with away fans behind the goal. It's almost as if matches are decided by quality on the pitch and not where the away fans are placed.

As for the red carpet where on earth did I say that? That's your own moronic leap from one extreme to the other. I simply said I don't see why we should treat football fans like shit in 2023 just because they support a different club.

Edited by EssEffCee

1 minute ago, EssEffCee said:

Well when the words 'poor view' are mentioned I tend to equate that with obstacles to the pitch or being miles away like at Newcastle. Of course there are better and worse views but I personally wouldn't call any seat at SMS a 'poor' view and yes I've sat all other the ground.

I absolutely am not underestimating the impact of shooting towards own fans, it is negligible at best. If it was any more than that then away fans behind goals would be the minority and not the majority.

You really think with all the data in football these days that all these clubs are missing a trick and it's only a few Saints fans who have noticed the huge impact this has? Completely ridiculous.

I wonder how Arsenal went unbeaten that season with away fans behind the goal, or how Liverpool have only lost one home league match in years with away fans behind the goal, or how we've managed to win four in a row without conceding with away fans behind the goal. It's almost as if matches are decided by quality on the pitch and not where the away fans are placed.

It might be worth your time to look at our home results when the away team plays towards their own fans in the second half. I think you might be surprised.

6 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

It might be worth your time to look at our home results when the away team plays towards their own fans in the second half. I think you might be surprised.

Presumably you've got the data to hand so why don't you share it? Like fuck am I giving through two decades of data for the sake of an argument on a football forum.

I'd argue though that the sample size is nowhere near big enough to make a clear judgement on anyway. It must only be a maximum of 10-15% of our matches which have gone the opposite to normal and there are far too many other variables to make a clear assertion.

Are you seriously suggesting that 80% of football clubs are missing out on this trick that only you and a handful of other Saints fans have noticed.

The fact is when we've had a good team we've generally had good results at home and when we've had a shit team we've generally had poor ones.

Last reply as not arsed with a long debate so we'll have to agree to disagree.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

When we got relegated in 2005 away fans were in the Northam. When we got promoted in 2011 away fans were in the northam. when we only won 3 games at home in a season away fans were in the Northam. When we went a year unbeaten at home away fans were in the northam. When we won 6 home games in a row in 2023 away fans were in the northam. When we got relegated in 2009 away fans were in the Northam. when we got promoted in 2012 away fans were in the Northam

Make of that what you will. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, EssEffCee said:

Presumably you've got the data to hand so why don't you share it? Like fuck am I giving through two decades of data for the sake of an argument on a football forum.

I'd argue though that the sample size is nowhere near big enough to make a clear judgement on anyway. It must only be a maximum of 10-15% of our matches which have gone the opposite to normal and there are far too many other variables to make a clear assertion.

Are you seriously suggesting that 80% of football clubs are missing out on this trick that only you and a handful of other Saints fans have noticed.

The fact is when we've had a good team we've generally had good results at home and when we've had a shit team we've generally had poor ones.

Last reply as not arsed with a long debate so we'll have to agree to disagree.

I’m working my way through my memories of away games and so far I have reached the reverse of that figure. In most cases I seem to recall that away fans are placed along the end of one of the side stands, sometimes just in the upper tier.

So far in the Premier League for the past few seasons I can only think of Brighton and perhaps Nottingham Forest where we have sat behind a goal.

When you say “the opposite to normal” what normal might that be?

Many Saints fans will remember opposition comebacks when they were playing towards the Northam. Aston Villa for one.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Turkish said:

When we got relegated in 2005 away fans were in the Northam. When we got promoted in 2011 away fans were in the northam. when we only won 3 games at home in a season away fans were in the Northam. When we went a year unbeaten at home away fans were in the northam. When we won 6 home games in a row in 2023 away fans were in the northam. When we got relegated in 2009 away fans were in the Northam. when we got promoted in 2012 away fans were in the Northam

Make of that what you will. 

Yes yes yes

But which ends were we attacking? ;)

All this bollox about police wanting away fans close when the last 4 or 5 games coaches have parked miles away I have done
QPR has to be the worst away I’ve ever been to. Stewards wouldn’t lets us through road big diversion round added 25 mins on. Parked roads away walking through home fans and past home pub. 1 bar open upstairs to serve about 1k 3 of slowest ever. 
Away fans go over the bridge to train station same as home.

It would be 10 times easier to leave it in its current format but make the Chapel the home end, rather than moving the away fans, then the family stand. 

Safe standing at only the back of the Northam will probably see stricter stewarding in non safe standing seats, potentially diminishing the atmosphere. 

I could get behind it if they made the whole Northam safe standing.

I have no idea why there is this obsession to be next to the away fans particularly in today’s climate where even making a gesture towards them can result in arrest and a ban. A big home end with singers stood would make for a great atmosphere rather than what we have now with the small pockets in different parts of the ground. 
Saints have never really had a proper home end, even at the Dell the singers were split between the Milton, lower east and west stand benches. 

• Like 1

Not sure how accurate the details in the UI story linked above are, but I was told about 3 weeks ago by a club employee* to look out for a big anouncement stadium/crowd wise by the end of the year as they are actively looking at many options to help increase the atmosphere at SMS.  He gave no more details other than they are hoping a safe standing area can be included.

*Not claiming ITK status as don't know him personally to go back and ask for more, so doubt I qualify for CoT membership 🤣

• Like 2