Atmosphere in the Chapel (and in general)

niceandfriendly

Was nice to see a good atmosphere all round on Saturday, but particularly impressed with the Chapel which is usually entirely silent. Well done to those at the back who were standing and singing non stop, really helped create more noise throughout the whole game. 

Edited by niceandfriendly
  • Like 17

• niceandfriendly changed the title to Atmosphere in the Chapel (and in general)

We were sat in the Itchen Chapel corner Saturday not far from that section and it was a decent effort, as you say, kept it up for most of the game (even if a few had to keep chucking in reference to the skates on most chants 👎). 

You can see the Itchen North getting animated but can’t really hear them from there and although Norwich only had a third or so of the Northam they came across far louder than the home fans in that stand - I guess as they were directly in front of us at the other end?

Decent effort though, mostly just towards the end of the game.

1 minute ago, petermcpete said:

I mainly do away games but noticed that the tickets in the Itchen South are by far the cheapest now (£20 vs QPR), is this a drive from the club to get a bit more 'youth' in and some more noise?

Wasn't there a poster on here that was recruiting people to buy STs at the back in the Itchen/Chapel corner? 

The two favourite chants of the yoof around me on Saturday were 1. Fuck em up, get into them and 2. E I EI E I O. 

Also, can't people ever keep OWTS going in slow no clapping mode for more than one verse? They love to shift it into the fast clapping version ASAP, don't they?

31 minutes ago, petermcpete said:

I mainly do away games but noticed that the tickets in the Itchen South are by far the cheapest now (£20 vs QPR), is this a drive from the club to get a bit more 'youth' in and some more noise?

We chucked in our STs a couple of years back and now pay-as-you-go, usually Kingsland North but went to that corner of the Chapel as £20 seats, surprised to see so many old faces there. I think this is going to prove a popular option at this price and the atmosphere will continue to improve as a consequence.

19 minutes ago, the boy from saints said:

Do you mean in the Concourse? If so, yeah! They looked good. The new big screens on the pitch (behind each goal) were also a decent improvement!

The new big screens inside the stadium are very impressive but most of the time they show a 'split screen' with advertising on one side. I would much prefer action content on the full screen and let them do the adverts on a rotational basis !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Monk said:

Random but has the stadium been 'cleaned' especially the white rafters? Drove past in the off season and they looked hideous. 

Yes they have,  I went down end of June 20230624_104630.thumb.jpg.01ff3a3fbb0d1fb4fd6eea5154535de0.jpgto get kids the new kits and there was an industrial cleaning company giving the stadium a good scrub 

4 hours ago, sfc4prem said:

Wasn't there a poster on here that was recruiting people to buy STs at the back in the Itchen/Chapel corner? 

The two favourite chants of the yoof around me on Saturday were 1. Fuck em up, get into them and 2. E I EI E I O. 

Also, can't people ever keep OWTS going in slow no clapping mode for more than one verse? They love to shift it into the fast clapping version ASAP, don't they?

👋 t'was I.

Seems to have gone down well. Numbers were quite small but we did manage to generate a fair bit of noise at times. As others have pointed out, we are in the cheaper seats (block 15) where it is really good value for adults. Want it to be an area for those who can't justify the higher prices of the Northam/ IN. 

Of the 20 or so people I know who are at the back making noise - many of these (myself included) wouldn't have got a season ticket if there wasn't the cheaper option for standing/ singing.

Would be great to get some more people involved. Another 20 or so would really see it kick on. Early days though. Really positive feedback so far though!

• Like 15

Just now, ImproveOurAtmosphere said:

👋 t'was I.

Seems to have gone down well. Numbers were quite small but we did manage to generate a fair bit of noise at times. As others have pointed out, we are in the cheaper seats (block 15) where it is really good value for adults. Want it to be an area for those who can't justify the higher prices of the Northam/ IN. 

Of the 20 or so people I know who are at the back making noise - many of these (myself included) wouldn't have got a season ticket if there wasn't the cheaper option for standing/ singing.

Would be great to get some more people involved. Another 20 or so would really see it kick on. Early days though. Really positive feedback so far though!

That's great to hear. It's people with like you that back up words with actions that make these improvements, so well done!

• Like 7

5 hours ago, petermcpete said:

Absolutely:

Cat A £25 (£20 premium members)

Cat B £20 (£15 premium members)

Cat C £15 (£13 premium members) 

Would encourage anyone looking to stand and chant to get towards the very back of block 15. Anyone wanting to join in in a more passive way/ prefer to sit - would recommend blocks 13 and 14 or further down toward the front  of 15. 

You mention getting more "youth". Depends how you define youth. Young adults yes but for u'18's it's actually more expensive in 15 but  cheaper in Northam ect...

Think the club want the Chapel Itchen corner to be the cheaper alternative for adults mainly.

Saying that everyone's welcome of course. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ImproveOurAtmosphere said:

👋 t'was I.

Saints have needed a proper home end for years and thanks to your efforts, it looks like we are at last going to get one. Well done and thank you for organising it. 

• Like 1

Well done fella. Some people on here have been moaning for years about the Northam/Itchen home singing sections, and that there’s no proper home end, yet they’ve done absolutely nothing themselves to improve the situation. The obvious answer has always been to get a singing section going on in the Chapel, it just takes a good number of people to actually get on and do it rather than squinny about it. Hopefully it’s something that will grow organically as more people get to hear about it. Good on you.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, ImproveOurAtmosphere said:

👋 t'was I.

Good lad

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ImproveOurAtmosphere said:

Absolutely:

Cat A £25 (£20 premium members)

Cat B £20 (£15 premium members)

Cat C £15 (£13 premium members) 

Would encourage anyone looking to stand and chant to get towards the very back of block 15. Anyone wanting to join in in a more passive way/ prefer to sit - would recommend blocks 13 and 14 or further down toward the front  of 15. 

You mention getting more "youth". Depends how you define youth. Young adults yes but for u'18's it's actually more expensive in 15 but  cheaper in Northam ect...

Think the club want the Chapel Itchen corner to be the cheaper alternative for adults mainly.

Saying that everyone's welcome of course. 

Great to hear. Young adults is a much better way of describing what I meant. I'm 31 so not sure what category I fall into but will be in block 15 so will happily join in 🤣

Block 15 was so much livelier on Saturday, personally I loved it!

Any chance though someone can have a word with Russell to see if he'd be offended if it's shortened to "Russ" Martin's Red and White Army only I found the extra syllable was getting me tongue tied by the 3rd chant 😳😂

In mid block 15 though it sounded awesome 👌🏻👏🏻

44 minutes ago, EssEffCee said:

Was definitely good to have some atmosphere down that end of the ground. I'm near the front of block 15 but will probably move further back whenever possible or might even try move my ST if they let me. 

Good to hear it. Give the ticket office a ring - there’s plenty of availability still. They might let you move for free or there might be a small charge I’m not sure - I will try and find out. 

Games we don’t sell out you’ll probably be okay just coming up and joining but might be better long term to try and move your actual seat 👍

3 hours ago, Leighsterrr said:

Block 15 was so much livelier on Saturday, personally I loved it!

Any chance though someone can have a word with Russell to see if he'd be offended if it's shortened to "Russ" Martin's Red and White Army only I found the extra syllable was getting me tongue tied by the 3rd chant 😳😂

In mid block 15 though it sounded awesome 👌🏻👏🏻

Haha it ends up being russmartinsredwhitearmy after a while anyway. Too much of a mouthful otherwise 😂

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Monk said:

Random but has the stadium been 'cleaned' especially the white rafters? Drove past in the off season and they looked hideous. 

Looks like still work-in-progress. Noticed as we walked past the Kingsland on Saturday that most of the steelwork is still dirty, working their way round from the Northam.

3 hours ago, Leighsterrr said:

Some of our fans seem to like cramming too many syllables into chants that require less.

There was talks to introduce rail-seating into St Mary's this summer, relegation probably scuppered that but if the Chapel continues to gain popularity maybe that end could see the return of standing.

I'm in the Itchen block 9 and somebody commented how the Chapel was noisier than usual. I do sing, but not on my own (!), so having another stand to start off chants can only help. But keep it positive, I don't join in with chants that involve that irrelevant team to the East.. 🙂

Edited by suewhistle
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, ImproveOurAtmosphere said:

👋 t'was I.

Good on you mate, I used to be in the Northam when I had a ST, any games I get to this season i'll be sure to buy at the back of block 15 to join in. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Good on you mate, I used to be in the Northam when I had a ST, any games I get to this season i'll be sure to buy at the back of block 15 to join in. 

Really hard to get tickets in the Northam this season as well, it's mostly season ticket holders, Kingsland North similar, so I'd say block 15 makes a very decent other option plus you save a few quid on the match ticket. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

Some of our fans seem to like cramming too many syllables into chants that require less.

We just need to stop bringing in players with double barrelled surnames for a start 😂

Oh and I quite like E I E I Amo Ameyaw 🤔

• Like 1

14 hours ago, EssEffCee said:

Was definitely good to have some atmosphere down that end of the ground. I'm near the front of block 15 but will probably move further back whenever possible or might even try move my ST if they let me. 

£10 for anyone currently in blocks 11-15 to relocate. 

possible to relocate from other sections but at their discretion (unfortunately not possible to relocate if you signed up to the credit scheme AND sit anywhere outside the itchen south).

hope this helps 👍

5FF9FBEF-3611-4B72-BC34-CD4D322DDC92.jpeg

12 minutes ago, ImproveOurAtmosphere said:

£10 for anyone currently in blocks 11-15 to relocate. 

possible to relocate from other sections but at their discretion (unfortunately not possible to relocate if you signed up to the credit scheme AND sit anywhere outside the itchen south).

hope this helps 👍

5FF9FBEF-3611-4B72-BC34-CD4D322DDC92.jpeg

If you tell the Club about your initiative at the Fans' Forum, they will be probably help. It's long been rumoured that they and especially the players wanted the Chapel to be turned into a proper home end. 

It's my 2nd season as a season ticket holder in block 15 and it was great to hear the noise being generated by the lads at the back and I enjoyed being able to join in.

Really looking forward to the rest of the season if it's going to be like that (football and atmosphere :)) but I may need to take strepsils with me each week as I can see myself losing my voice!!

I'm also going to have to learn the words to a lot of the chants as I don't know them.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, waterlooville saint said:

It's my 2nd season as a season ticket holder in block 15 and it was great to hear the noise being I'm also going to have to learn the words to a lot of the chants as I don't know them.

My second season as a ticket holder in Block 15 too and this year is so much better!

Was thinking about asking if they could print off and send us some song sheets down to the middle and front, no excuse not to join in then! 😂

Noticed this when I went on for QPR tickets, not seen it before, but could be handy to know if you book in larger numbers for group discounts

https://www.southamptonfc.com/en/group-tickets

On a side note, a question was raised in a 'fans advisory panel' meeting that followed the forum last night and it was mentioned that Block 1 could be used for safe-standing. That would be a fairly small area so I guess that would be bolted onto making the entire Northam rail seating?

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/08/2023 at 16:18, ImproveOurAtmosphere said:

👋 t'was I.

Is this still building, and can you stand at the back of Block 15 all game without hassle from stewards? Cheers 

On 28/08/2023 at 20:59, LaptopSaint said:

Is this still building, and can you stand at the back of Block 15 all game without hassle from stewards? Cheers 

Sorry for late reply. 

It's still in early stages so hopefully it grows throughout the season.

As for standing: you'll be absolutely fine - we stand all game and not one steward has tried to tell us to sit down.

Hope to see you at the Leicester game!

Cheers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ImproveOurAtmosphere said:

Sorry for late reply. 

It's still in early stages so hopefully it grows throughout the season.

As for standing: you'll be absolutely fine - we stand all game and not one steward has tried to tell us to sit down.

Hope to see you at the Leicester game!

Cheers.

Brilliant, thanks. We’ll be there for Ipswich 👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, ImproveOurAtmosphere said:

chance would be a fine thing.

I'll try my best - might get banned at 'if you're fit take off your dressie' 'then I'll shag you and get you pregnant too' - not very Chapel esque

Fuck off pompey you’re all peados

rest in peace Gary Speedo 

Ivor Novello level 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2