What's happened to our away support

franniesTache

3 hours ago, gammon cheeks said:

I like the 10 more years chant ......the tune is good but the lyrics are shit !

But that's the point, unless we're just singing melodies the lyrics are what matters (plus maybe just maybe not nicking chants all the time, but i've given up on that one as originality isn't a thing for us anymore)

To be honest at this point we probably have more songs about Portsmouth than we do about Saints/Southampton, which is utterly f*cking mad, and makes us look completely tinpot.

Next time you're at an away game just take a count of how many times we sing about that lot down the road, it's reached the point where probably over half  of what we sing is about them.

I don't expect us to sing as much about the city anymore as we used to as a big chunk of our support now doesn't seem to come from Southampton so they're not going to have pride in where we come from, but at least back the team or sing about the players.

Saying that we're probably approaching it all wrong, we should be giving new songs to city fans to use on tik tok and then our fans will copy it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, franniesTache said:

But that's the point, unless we're just singing melodies the lyrics are what matters (plus maybe just maybe not nicking chants all the time, but i've given up on that one as originality isn't a thing for us anymore)

To be honest at this point we probably have more songs about Portsmouth than we do about Saints/Southampton, which is utterly f*cking mad, and makes us look completely tinpot.

Next time you're at an away game just take a count of how many times we sing about that lot down the road, it's reached the point where probably over half  of what we sing is about them.

I don't expect us to sing as much about the city anymore as we used to as a big chunk of our support now doesn't seem to come from Southampton so they're not going to have pride in where we come from, but at least back the team or sing about the players.

Saying that we're probably approaching it all wrong, we should be giving new songs to city fans to use on tik tok and then our fans will copy it

I see it as English football culture to copy other peoples chants (along with being original as well). The only problem I have is the lyrics are constantly sh*t and embarrassing to hear. Quick point - when was the last time saints had a popular chant which was original, popular meaning one picked up by most the crowd?

Tik Tok and people who do not realise what they are singing is making it worse. These people only hear pompey chants so they see it as acceptable to sing about pompey for 90 mins. Hilarious that even at home when winning 90th minute some of our fans sing Fathers gun and Wings of sparrow arse of a crow. This isnt a joke, this actually happened this season.

If we need to adopt basic stars and stripes style chants on players i'd take it over this crap. Or any old chants (70s, 80s, 90s) - about the club and city- to sing over these people if neccessary. They sing pompey rubbish over saints songs so why not do the same to them?

Edited by SotonianWill
Sometimes telling someone to STFU for starting a rather gimpy song is acceptable. It's happened to the best of us, but these people now seemingly havent had that treatment

5 hours ago, JRM said:

Closest away game to Xmas, I wouldn't be surprised if Saints left a santa hat on each seat anyway , it's a gesture they've done before 

They need to mix this up to fully reflect the Sport Republic empire - a bowler, beret and a Fez would truly set us apart.

1 hour ago, franniesTache said:

Last time I was at an away match it was at Brentford away where it was mostly the old MCFC "we never win at home and we never win away," which I felt was a decent effort and to be fair fits us down to a tee in the Premier League. Trouble is we don't sing that now that we win or draw most of the time.

Was it you who came up with Raspberry Beret song for KWP? Can't find it anywhere but thought it deserved to catch on.

For those who think that the anti-Pompey sings will drop off anytime soon, think again. I doubt anyone singing about Pompey this season is paying any attention to their position in the table beyond knowing what division they play in. 

22 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

I see it as English football culture to copy other peoples chants (along with being original as well). The only problem I have is the lyrics are constantly sh*t and embarrassing to hear. Quick point - when was the last time saints had a popular chant which was original, popular meaning one picked up by most the crowd?

Tik Tok and people who do not realise what they are singing is making it worse. These people only hear pompey chants so they see it as acceptable to sing about pompey for 90 mins. Hilarious that even at home when winning 90th minute some of our fans sing Fathers gun and Wings of sparrow arse of a crow. This isnt a joke, this actually happened this season.

If we need to adopt basic stars and stripes style chants on players i'd take it over this crap. Or any old chants (70s, 80s, 90s) - about the club and city- to sing over these people if neccessary. They sing pompey rubbish over saints songs so why not do the same to them?

Last truly original one was the cedric song i think, there used to be a lot more in the past - marian pahars (robbed for JWP), Our Claus, Jose Fonte one, berkovich one, even danny ings was unique to the leagues at the time, also whilst the rickie lambert one was nicked I'm fairly sure no other club in the leagues we were in were using it - copying songs has always happened like you say, and in the past most clubs would even sing ynwa (not that the scousers or media would acknowledge that), but what makes it different now is that it's literally the week later people change one word and then sing it.

I'm always a bit disappointed we don't have more that are just about the city itself, surely the whole point of supporting southampton is the pride in the place you're from?

As for the crap about the skates i've no issue with the odd song, but it's the fact it's every song that makes it sh*t, especially as half the nippers singing it would bottle fratton away.

10 minutes ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

Last time I was at an away match it was at Brentford away where it was mostly the old MCFC "we never win at home and we never win away," which I felt was a decent effort and to be fair fits us down to a tee in the Premier League. Trouble is we don't sing that now that we win or draw most of the time.

Was it you who came up with Raspberry Beret song for KWP? Can't find it anywhere but thought it deserved to catch on.

For those who think that the anti-Pompey sings will drop off anytime soon, think again. I doubt anyone singing about Pompey this season is paying any attention to their position in the table beyond knowing what division they play in. 

Yeah raspberry beret for KWP was us but it's never going to catch on, for some reason our modern fans are terrified of songs that aren't used by other people.

Edited by franniesTache
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, franniesTache said:

Last truly original one was the cedric song i think, there used to be a lot more in the past - marian pahars (robbed for JWP), Our Claus, Jose Fonte one, berkovich one, even danny ings was unique to the leagues at the time, also whilst the rickie lambert one was nicked I'm fairly sure no other club in the leagues we were in were using it - copying songs has always happened like you say, and in the past most clubs would even sing ynwa (not that the scousers or media would acknowledge that), but what makes it different now is that it's literally the week later people change one word and then sing it.

I'm always a bit disappointed we don't have more that are just about the city itself, surely the whole point of supporting southampton is the pride in the place you're from?

As for the crap about the skates i've no issue with the odd song, but it's the fact it's every song that makes it sh*t, especially as half the nippers singing it would bottle fratton away.

Agreed, I remember singing YNWA on the Milton amongst others including the hammers blowing bubbles song. We shouldn't get do hung up about it... its not like no one else sings "our song"....

9 minutes ago, Yorkshire Saint said:

Agreed, I remember singing YNWA on the Milton amongst others including the hammers blowing bubbles song. We shouldn't get do hung up about it... its not like no one else sings "our song"....

Singing that at some point of a match in the late 60’s/early 70’s was very much part of the ritual. No match it seemed was complete without it. 

Same for every club in those days, remember a Reading supporting friend at the time saying how it got going on their terrace on a Saturday at Elm Park.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Badger said:

Singing that at some point of a match in the late 60’s/early 70’s was very much part of the ritual. No match it seemed was complete without it. 

Same for every club in those days, remember a Reading supporting friend at the time saying how it got going on their terrace on a Saturday at Elm Park.

Agreed. I can remember it not feeling "right" singing some of these other teams songs but it added to the banter and the atmosphere... irritated the native team and was usually followed up with a healthy dose of your going home in a Hampshire ambulance....

Although I drawer the line at marching on together ... aka LUFC

Edited by Yorkshire Saint

We've always sung far too many skate songs in the 20 odd years I've been going, don't see it changing anytime soon. We're also too obsessed with ex players, see the abuse Hoedt got on Saturday or the Tella song a couple of years back which for some bizarre reason needed the line "Danny Ings is a fucking cunt" 🤔

Lack of song variety is clearly one of our biggest issues but you can see the problem in this thread as too many people want to slate certain songs as shit. What one person thinks is decent another will think is shite which hardly leads to lots of new songs as people tend to give up. 

I don't personally mind songs copied from other clubs as much as others seem to. Very few clubs consistently make original songs in this day and we're just simply not one of those types of fanbases. Would prefer we adapted player songs from another club than had our 15th rendition of slow OWTS in the 12th minute of an away match.

Don't get the whole "pride in the city" thing either as if it's a prerequisite to a good atmosphere. I've lived here all my life and think the place is a shithole but it doesn't mean I don't like to sing songs about the club.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Turkish said:

"Look like a wotsit" and "Steeeeeeeeeeeeeve" were low points IMO

Can chuck "Richard Chaplow, he looks like like my thumb" in with them too.

But again that's part of the problem; lots of people would have thought they were brilliant/hilarious.

Edited by EssEffCee

40 minutes ago, Turkish said:

"Look like a wotsit" and "Steeeeeeeeeeeeeve" were low points IMO

Nothing will ever come close to the absolute low that was baby shark, though the adam/stuart armstrong with hand movements is bloody close.

51 minutes ago, EssEffCee said:

We've always sung far too many skate songs in the 20 odd years I've been going, don't see it changing anytime soon. We're also too obsessed with ex players, see the abuse Hoedt got on Saturday or the Tella song a couple of years back which for some bizarre reason needed the line "Danny Ings is a fucking cunt" 🤔

Lack of song variety is clearly one of our biggest issues but you can see the problem in this thread as too many people want to slate certain songs as shit. What one person thinks is decent another will think is shite which hardly leads to lots of new songs as people tend to give up. 

I don't personally mind songs copied from other clubs as much as others seem to. Very few clubs consistently make original songs in this day and we're just simply not one of those types of fanbases. Would prefer we adapted player songs from another club than had our 15th rendition of slow OWTS in the 12th minute of an away match.

Don't get the whole "pride in the city" thing either as if it's a prerequisite to a good atmosphere. I've lived here all my life and think the place is a shithole but it doesn't mean I don't like to sing songs about the club.

I think most people aren't really slagging off everything, clearly some people won't like stuff others will, but the one thing everyone - or most people - are in agreement with is we sing about the skates too much and that is f*cking sh*t.

As for pride in the city of course it's a important, Southampton might be a shithole, but it's our shithole, and I f*cking love the place, it's my history, my family, my roots, it's those generations of my family that went to watch the saints before me, and those that still do now, it's my mates and their families, it's the pubs, parks and places I knocked around growing up.

There's nothing that'll bring me more pride than hearing a Sotonian accent belting out a simple, SOUTHAMPTON, or watching nippers and their dads walk to the ground from the streets round the city.

There really is nothing more important than that connection, I mean if it's not pride in Southampton then what is it? You're basically just treating football as another form of entertainment, something to be consumed and forgotten about, or worse you're favourite TV show that happens to do a live tour every now and then.

What's the point in that? What's the point in not following your local side and celebrating the city you're from? That's what football is all about at the end of the day. Without that you're just another plastic.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, franniesTache said:

Nothing will ever come close to the absolute low that was baby shark, though the adam/stuart armstrong with hand movements is bloody close.

I think most people aren't really slagging off everything, clearly some people won't like stuff others will, but the one thing everyone - or most people - are in agreement with is we sing about the skates too much and that is f*cking sh*t.

As for pride in the city of course it's a important, Southampton might be a shithole, but it's our shithole, and I f*cking love the place, it's my history, my family, my roots, it's those generations of my family that went to watch the saints before me, and those that still do now, it's my mates and their families, it's the pubs, parks and places I knocked around growing up.

There's nothing that'll bring me more pride than hearing a Sotonian accent belting out a simple, SOUTHAMPTON, or watching nippers and their dads walk to the ground from the streets round the city.

There really is nothing more important than that connection, I mean if it's not pride in Southampton then what is it? You're basically just treating football as another form of entertainment, something to be consumed and forgotten about, or worse you're favourite TV show that happens to do a live tour every now and then.

What's the point in that? What's the point in not following your local side and celebrating the city you're from? That's what football is all about at the end of the day. Without that you're just another plastic.

Kelvin and Steve Davis was worse IMO. Kelvin Davis was third choice keeper at the time, at least Adam and Stuart are first team players.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, franniesTache said:

Agree on your first point re the skate songs. Always been a problem but certainly seems worse at present due to the lack of player songs we have. We have a fairly new team so hopefully that improves as the season goes on.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the pride in the city thing. I agree it's our shithole but I have no pride in the city itself and simply don't like the place. Maybe it's because it's largely unrecognisable to me now compared to my childhood and I'll feel more nostalgic for it once I move away in a few years.

Not sure how that makes me a plastic though? I love the club itself, the indescribable and unbreakable connection I feel to that patch of grass and my fellow supporters. The feeling of driving 4/5 hours to see us get dicked by someone like Burnley and taking a strange solace in knowing the people around me have seen it all before and will do so again. Being on holiday thousands of miles away and someone recognising your crest and mentioning Bobby Stokes, MLT and the 9-0s.

I love all of that but don't see why having a pride in the city is an essential to go with that. You're right of course that that's how it originally starts, you don't choose a football team but rather it chooses you and it is part of who you are. My nipper doesn't even like football but loves going to matches and singing songs about us. Tbf I don't really like football as a sport much these days.

But just because I've grown up to dislike the city that doesn't negate all of the above? It's not a switch that you can turn on and off, it's a feeling of belonging deep inside your soul and makes up a big part of your personality.

You're basically saying anyone not from the City isn't a true fan and is a problem for our atmosphere which is utter bollocks quite frankly.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, franniesTache said:

I have it on good authority that Angus Gunn demanded a move away from the club the minute he heard his name sung to the baby shark tune. Fact. 

I'd like to hear the old - "somebody give me an SSSSS OOOOO UUUUU TTTTT" 

Knock knock

Who's there 

Owen 

Owen who 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JRM said:

Knock knock

Who's there 

Owen 

Owen who 

I'm at the top of the Itchen so i'll probably start both these saturday. If no f*cker joins (very likely, especially the knock knock) then im blaming you for my embarrassment.

Edited by SotonianWill
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JRM said:

I have it on good authority that Angus Gunn demanded a move away from the club the minute he heard his name sung to the baby shark tune. Fact. 

Knock knock

Who's there 

Owen 

Owen who 

In which case, those fans should be given free season tickets.

13 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

I'm at the top of the Itchen so i'll probably start both these saturday. If no f*cker joins (very likely, especially the knock knock) then im blaming you for my embarrassment.

Embarrassment? We'll get nowhere with that attitude. If no-one joins in you do it again ...and again ....and again if necessary until the f*ckers do join in.

The amount of people that spend hours travelling up and down the country to watch Saints and then stand there in complete silence is mind boggling.

Coventry’s support was above average tonight, nothing special, but put our bunch of passionless mongs to shame. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mr Saints said:

Why the fuck does Aribo have his own song?

Because he played for Rangers, their fans make up original songs for their players and our fanbase is completely incapable of doing anything except copy other teams songs.

If Kyle Walker Peters had a song from a previous club we'd be singing it, but he doesn't so we don't.

Pretty awful again last night in terms of noise.

Coventry fans had a fair few songs, some of them were crap but at least they had variety whereas we don't. They did have a drummer so lose a point for that.

Both sets of fans seemed to quite like telling each other they lived in a shithole. My son said that one of the things he likes about going to away games in random places around the country is that it has made him realise Southampton is a bit less shit than he thought.

Reiterate above comments - up until we scored, the atmosphere in the saints end was dreadful .. a couple of songs that soon died out.  Most fans were happy to just stand there or talk shit with each other!!!  Did pick up as i said when we scored & the lack of P*mpey songs was noticeable. 

Coventry fans were probably the best home fans i have heard this season - despite lack of numbers, loud & good array of songs

It's no excuse but our dull away fans seem to match with the slow and ponderous tactics on the pitch, not much energy or intensity just drifting through the game. 

We've basically been slowly hypnotised watching endless passes in our own half. 

Edited by JRM
  • Like 1

Rather than singing, most of the fans around me spent 90+ minutes telling our players to “get it forward” and just how sh1t they are, especially Manning, Smallbone and Aribo. Maybe they’re right (Manning 😉) but it was even worse than St Mary’s. 
Spend a fortune and hours of your time to hurl abuse at the players doing their (possibly limited) best for the team you support.

Just moronic.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Rather than singing, most of the fans around me spent 90+ minutes telling our players to “get it forward” and just how sh1t they are, especially Manning, Smallbone and Aribo. Maybe they’re right (Manning 😉) but it was even worse than St Mary’s. 
Spend a fortune and hours of your time to hurl abuse at the players doing their (possibly limited) best for the team you support.

Just moronic.

100% agreed - you must have been stood near me.

Edited by warsash saint

Was very poor again last night. 

Coventry were decent, points off for the drum but the big difference between them and us is they seemed to have a song for almost every player on their team. 

We have one for Aribo who barely plays and that’s about it. 

10 hours ago, warsash saint said:

100% agreed - you must have been stood near me.

My favourite moan from last night was when Edozie failed to get a cross in and it went out for a goal kick:

”Fucks sake Edozie, fucking shit, no end fucking product”.

5 minutes AFTER he’s just scored our equaliser. 

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Talking to mates that went to norwich it sounds like our away support actually hit rock bottom, with the football in a library shit being sung six times in the first 20 mins and most of the rest of the game being about pompey.

In fact i was told we sung about libraries so much the Norwich fans sung it back to us to take the piss when they scored, and we responded? By singing about f*cking libraries again...

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, franniesTache said:

Talking to mates that went to norwich it sounds like our away support actually hit rock bottom, with the football in a library shit being sung six times in the first 20 mins and most of the rest of the game being about pompey.

In fact i was told we sung about libraries so much the Norwich fans sung it back to us to take the piss when they scored, and we responded? By singing about f*cking libraries again...

Thank the lord I stopped going away a few seasons back. It seems my generation of fan are actually obsessed with singing about libraries - I think it stems from what you see on tik tok and other "funniest football chants" videos...

Which is why i'm content in the IN as atleast theres a very small group who sing songs about the city, club and occasionally players. This is despite the fact people try outsing us with unfunny banter my little sister wouldn't even find funny.

Speaking as someone who cannot come up with a song for love nor money the makers of songs pre covid (think ings and IN arising) have deserted us and the vacuum has been entered by people the equivalent of John Lennon being replaced by Yoko. Unrealistic, but what we need is someone with a borderline obsessive music addiction becoming our lyrical genius as well as some old guy to give us some of the former repotoire of songs which involve the city - ie acceptable milton road songs which can be adapted or just copied. Young people have no idea of the tune and we're at a point where if you go to a game you'd think singing football in a library every two seconds is normal: knowing the words to our own forgotten chants could be a turning point to the opposite of what really could be rock bottom.

For the record I though last home game was decent support with quite frequent player chants and only had that fratton park falling down sh*te once and OWTS kept to a minimum, which proved it to be loud. Even had a rendition of KUMB which was good though not loud :)

Sorry for the fairly long reply about people singing at football matches, it ain't the f*cking X-Factor.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

Speaking as someone who cannot come up with a song for love nor money the makers of songs pre covid (think ings and IN arising) have deserted us and the vacuum has been entered by people the equivalent of John Lennon being replaced by Yoko.

We haven't deserted you, we just moved away from block 1/2 and into block 3, because block 1/2 was turning into a creche (also IN arising was nicked from Man U, though the Ings song was 100% ours)

Thing is, this really ain’t a new thing, I started going at the start of the seventies and looked up to the fellas under the Toomers in the early years but by the mid-70s most were moving out to the West stand terrace or, particularly with the Warrens, to the Archers. These were being replaced by the next generation who appeared a different breed, for the worse.

Over time when these saw where the excitement was happening at the other end and once the fences were erected, they then started arriving in the Archers - and so Jim Redpath’s “We’re the barmy Archers army” were born. These were little different to the dinlos that some are talking about today. Like other clubs we’ve always had them – just more than our fair share.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

Unrealistic, but what we need is someone with a borderline obsessive music addiction becoming our lyrical genius as well as some old guy to give us some of the former repotoire of songs which involve the city - ie acceptable milton road songs which can be adapted or just copied. Young people have no idea of the tune

Agreed but if there was a repertoire of the old songs, we'd know about it by now. Looking at that thread from a few weeks ago all that used to get sung was the Woolston Ferry and that song about being illiterate. Make of that what you will.

7 hours ago, franniesTache said:

I like how the first post about it on the Ugly Inside has someone moaning that OWTS is now too slow. I thought the problem a few years back was that we sang it too fucking fast. I would appreciate official guidance on the acceptable BPM and maybe I'll download a metronome app for the next game.