What's happened to our away support

franniesTache

Wednesday night under the lights. Perfect time for atmosphere. Songs only about Southampton rule hopefully being put in place. Giving people like Westwood attention is just what he wants; look at him. 

Knock Knock and give me an eeesss hopefully… maybe back in southampton and whatever other ones as well.

Our vocal support has been awful for a long, long time now - since probably the first season back in the PL. 

We generally always seem to take decent enough numbers but half have no interest in making any noise and the others that do, refuse to sing anything other than Oh when the saints. 

For me, there's a direct correlation between the success of noddy supporters club(s), for example, Nick Georgy and his wife / ex whatever she is.  

Whilst making away travel more accessible could be seen as a positive, his crowd generally seem to be younger (much younger), elderly or more of a less socially accepted cliental - who, instead of having a few pre-match beers, swap for pre-match prawn sarnies. 

If you look at the best away support across the country, generally speaking, its full of middle aged (or fighting aged) men who've had a few before hand and are therefore a little more boisterous. 

Everything about us as a club is a little too nice - our away following is much the same. 

Edited by Dman
  • Like 2

Not sure any of the players other than KWP deserve or earned a personalised song. That said, if I can get a "Paul Wotton football genius" chant going on a cold night in Brentford, then there is hope for all of em. 

on a side note, I miss the days when we shouted "scummer" every time an ex-skate like Darren Anderton touched the ball. No idea why we have taken ownership of that term. It always felt very fitting for the skates.

On 27/11/2023 at 19:09, SotonianWill said:

Sadly it's a problem at home as well. If you start something about the city/team you'll get about 5 people joining in. Then someone, who wasn't joining in with the chants before would start some bollox song about Pompey and most of the stand will join in. This is in the once great, not so any more Itchen North. And people said going down would improve our support. I never went away that much but I went to away games such as Leicester in 2020 (?) after the 9-0 when we brought low numbers and the support was much more impressive with less idiotic songs.  

The Itchen North was class pre-covid, post covid it turned into a creche when all the dinlows from the Northam moved across, sung all the same shit songs they sung in the Northam, did all the same god awful "bantz" they did in the Northam and then were surprised it became the Northam Lite

18 hours ago, Noodles34 said:

And the Jack Stephens song. Which was one of the best. 
Also my song 

‘We are the Scum, we are the Scum, we are, we are, we are the Scum

The Jack Stephens one i came up with as a joke to see what i could make up that was ridiculous but would stick, it stuck. Also the Tella one to Sugar, Honey, Honey was one of ours too.

3 hours ago, Dman said:

Our vocal support has been awful for a long, long time now - since probably the first season back in the PL. 

We generally always seem to take decent enough numbers but half have no interest in making any noise and the others that do, refuse to sing anything other than Oh when the saints. 

For me, there's a direct correlation between the success of noddy supporters club(s), for example, Nick Georgy and his wife / ex whatever she is.  

Whilst making away travel more accessible could be seen as a positive, his crowd generally seem to be younger (much younger), elderly or more of a less socially accepted cliental - who, instead of having a few pre-match beers, swap for pre-match prawn sarnies. 

If you look at the best away support across the country, generally speaking, its full of middle aged (or fighting aged) men who've had a few before hand and are therefore a little more boisterous. 

Everything about us as a club is a little too nice - our away following is much the same. 

There's also a correlation between our support copying everyone else's songs constantly and being way more f*cking noddy, and the appearance out of nowhere of a bunch of "influencers" on social media like that rob bloke who seem to have no connection to the club/city and no experience or knowledge of terrace culture (or the culture of Southampton itself), and that weird bloke Sammy who spends his entire life on twitter nicking other clubs songs and shoehorning the word "scummers" or pompey into them.

32 minutes ago, Chez said:

Not sure any of the players other than KWP deserve or earned a personalised song. That said, if I can get a "Paul Wotton football genius" chant going on a cold night in Brentford, then there is hope for all of em. 

on a side note, I miss the days when we shouted "scummer" every time an ex-skate like Darren Anderton touched the ball. No idea why we have taken ownership of that term. It always felt very fitting for the skates.

The scummers thing worked for a very short period of time, namely Fratton away in the cup, but it's now painfully over used and a good sign of someone who's trying way too f*cking hard (and to be fair trying way too f*cking hard is a massive part of the problem here).

Plus so many of the people using it don't seem to realise we used to use if for the skates (or that the term skates was chosen by a joke poll in the ugly inside fanzine).

32 minutes ago, Chez said:

We've tried to get a few new songs started down the years using new songs no one else used, a KWP to raspberry beret recently, adam armstrong to the proclaimers, nicked @Turkish Djeneppo one to there she goes, repurposed Sam Cooke's another saturday night, did the dock of the bay one, and even tried to get a tino one to the tune come on eileen that was literally just his name to the Too-ra-loo-ra Too-ra-loo-rye-ay bit going.

Not one stuck. In fact they all just got drowned out by some pompey crap, or another song nicked from elsewhere was used instead.

Honestly i actually think it'd be easier to get a song started with our lot by teaching it to another club to use on social media first than it would to actually try and do it at games.

Edited by franniesTache

9 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

How bad was the atmosphere tonight, I know it was cold and the first half was poor but one of the worst atmospheres I’ve experienced for years which says something!! Odd. 

KWP needs a song. Heard his name sung to conga song.a few times, which works and simple. 

Agree. Night game, good away following, had the ingredients for a good atmosphere and instead was just completely flat. 

KWP player of the season so far, deserves recognition 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JRM said:

Agree. Night game, good away following, had the ingredients for a good atmosphere and instead was just completely flat. 

Was surprised that their away support wasn't more rowdy. I expected more from them to be honest.

Our support was flat. Not even the usual 57 songs about Pompey. That "10 more years in League 1" song is shit, especially as they will get promoted this season.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Was surprised that their away support wasn't more rowdy. I expected more from them to be honest.

Our support was flat. Not even the usual 57 songs about Pompey. That "10 more years in League 1" song is shit, especially as they will get promoted this season.

Yeah I try to do my bit joining in songs but can't muster the enthusiasm for that 10 more years one, we all know what's going to happen. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JRM said:

Nicked from twitter,

Oh baby do you know what that’s worth,
Walker-Peters the best on Earth,
He came from London and said fuck Spurs,
Walker-Peters the best on Earth

11 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

How bad was the atmosphere tonight, I know it was cold and the first half was poor but one of the worst atmospheres I’ve experienced for years which says something!! Odd. 

KWP needs a song. Heard his name sung to conga song.a few times, which works and simple. 

I’ve said this before but our style of walking football is never going to get the blood racing.

38 minutes ago, warsash saint said:

Nicked from twitter,

Oh baby do you know what that’s worth,
Walker-Peters the best on Earth,
He came from London and said fuck Spurs,
Walker-Peters the best on Earth

A song sung by sunderland about Ross Stewart (and we're already trying to use for him) and used by multiple other clubs...

Yeah that's a great example of how unoriginal and sh*t our support is now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

For the purposes of this thread, while watching the TV yesterday I noticed that at the first slight lull in volume, the away support suddenly piped up with "Is this a library." This happened just 8 minutes in, and lasted about twenty seconds before it got drowned out. So it's not just us who take part in false and inaccurate chanting.

As an aside, we sounded reasonably good on TV, although I accept that microphone placement is the deciding factor more than anything else.

3 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I tried to get a couple of Martin inspired chants going.

”Sideways, sideways, sideways”. 

“Come on Saints, you can out possession this shit ahhh”. 

"Team of Jim Magilton's, we're just a team of Jim Magilton's..."

"Crab, crab whereever we may be,

Pass it backwards and sideways to me.

And we might not be fast, we're never out of breath.

Martin's team will bore you to death."

"bored into losing, you'll be bored into losing"

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Ado said:

To the tune of Rhythm of the night…

We’ve got Walker-Peters on the Right, the right, oh yeah, Walker-Peters on the Right…

Quite like the idea as it's something repeatable that'd build. The suggested words don't scan, unfortunately.

This could work, though:

"It's Walker-Peters on the right,

The right, oh yeah

The right back of my life"

• Like 1

Absolute golden conversation behind me on the train between 2 people who are about 18.

I didn't catch the start because had music on but then a song ended and I could hear them so carried on listening 

Person 1: That's the Northam end and the away fans sit in that bit

Person 2: Do they fight?

Person 1: There's a barrier between and some nets and loads of stewards

Person 2: Where do the ultras sit?

Person 1: They are either side of the away fans

Person 2: So the ultras are right next to them?

Person 1: Yeah, the ultras are there. If it's a rowdy crowd they make the away fans stay in the ground for an hour after 

Ultras hahahahaha, it's hardly Dinamo Zagreb down there.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, The Cat said:

Absolute golden conversation behind me on the train between 2 people who are about 18.

I didn't catch the start because had music on but then a song ended and I could hear them so carried on listening 

Person 1: That's the Northam end and the away fans sit in that bit

Person 2: Do they fight?

Person 1: There's a barrier between and some nets and loads of stewards

Person 2: Where do the ultras sit?

Person 1: They are either side of the away fans

Person 2: So the ultras are right next to them?

Person 1: Yeah, the ultras are there. If it's a rowdy crowd they make the away fans stay in the ground for an hour after 

Ultras hahahahaha, it's hardly Dinamo Zagreb down there.

Did you not tell them about the DEF? 

To be fair numbers wise things are miles better. I remember games north of London we’d struggle to get 1000 back in the day. To be fair we were shit a shot on goal would be a result an away win was maybe once or twice a season. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Turkish said:

To be fair numbers wise things are miles better. I remember games north of London we’d struggle to get 1000 back in the day. To be fair we were shit a shot on goal would be a result an away win was maybe once or twice a season. 

I'm pretty sure there was one season in the 90's where our only 3 away wins were at Newcastle, Sunderland and Middlesbrough and there were hardly any Saints fans there.

Possibly the season Le Tiss scored a last minute free kick at Newcastle?

• Like 1

On 30/11/2023 at 14:22, saintoaks said:

KWP to the old Cedric song possibly. Definately needs to be acknowledged for the season he's having. Come on you song writers make it work  

For those over 50 looking for a retro chant his name fits the Ruben Agboola chant perfectly. Easy to remember, repetitive and doesn't lend itself to moronic clapping.

For the youngsters, it's the opening bars of THIS

• 2 weeks later...

Well saturday was utterly f*cking shocking from us. Took us 9mins to sing about libraries and other than singing about the skates constantly and a section being bizarrely angry at Wesley Hoedt it was mostly silence.

Then add to that the inbetweeners lot decided to light a smoke bomb in the concourse because they closed the food (not even alcohol as they don't sell that) place and it just showed that no matter how many numbers we take our quality is through the f*cking floor.

On 29/11/2023 at 15:59, franniesTache said:

The Itchen North was class pre-covid, post covid it turned into a creche when all the dinlows from the Northam moved across, sung all the same shit songs they sung in the Northam, did all the same god awful "bantz" they did in the Northam and then were surprised it became the Northam Lite

The Jack Stephens one i came up with as a joke to see what i could make up that was ridiculous but would stick, it stuck. Also the Tella one to Sugar, Honey, Honey was one of ours too.

There's also a correlation between our support copying everyone else's songs constantly and being way more f*cking noddy, and the appearance out of nowhere of a bunch of "influencers" on social media like that rob bloke who seem to have no connection to the club/city and no experience or knowledge of terrace culture (or the culture of Southampton itself), and that weird bloke Sammy who spends his entire life on twitter nicking other clubs songs and shoehorning the word "scummers" or pompey into them.

The scummers thing worked for a very short period of time, namely Fratton away in the cup, but it's now painfully over used and a good sign of someone who's trying way too f*cking hard (and to be fair trying way too f*cking hard is a massive part of the problem here).

Plus so many of the people using it don't seem to realise we used to use if for the skates (or that the term skates was chosen by a joke poll in the ugly inside fanzine).

We've tried to get a few new songs started down the years using new songs no one else used, a KWP to raspberry beret recently, adam armstrong to the proclaimers, nicked @Turkish Djeneppo one to there she goes, repurposed Sam Cooke's another saturday night, did the dock of the bay one, and even tried to get a tino one to the tune come on eileen that was literally just his name to the Too-ra-loo-ra Too-ra-loo-rye-ay bit going.

Not one stuck. In fact they all just got drowned out by some pompey crap, or another song nicked from elsewhere was used instead.

Honestly i actually think it'd be easier to get a song started with our lot by teaching it to another club to use on social media first than it would to actually try and do it at games.

I just wanted to say if you came up with "Who needs Rodriguez, we've got your back four" and "We are Southampton, we don't need to score!" years ago when Everton came down and scored two own goals, I personally thank you!

13 minutes ago, gammon cheeks said:

I don't really get that people slag off our own fans ....all you keyboard warriors can fuck off in my opinion. 

Not sure what people expect with the demographics of the modern game, pretty much sanitised and softened since we left the Dell, getting on for a quarter century.  From what I've seen and heard in person this season we're no different from most other Championship clubs, apart from our very healthy numbers.     

29 minutes ago, gammon cheeks said:

I don't really get that people slag off our own fans ....all you keyboard warriors can fuck off in my opinion. 

TBF, I would expect most that are "slagging off our own fans" (I'd call it highlighting an issue that needs improving) are people who are actually at the games and have to listen to an hour of anti Pompey songs, some crap about libraries and not much else. 

It's impacted by the lack of songs we have for our current players, and it takes time to create the bond between player and fans. We've been through a lot of players (and managers) over the last years.

The numbers are fantastic which is great, but the quality, as others have highlighted, needs improving.

Hopefully we can use this thread to help improve it...

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

TBF, I would expect most that are "slagging off our own fans" (I'd call it highlighting an issue that needs improving) are people who are actually at the games and have to listen to an hour of anti Pompey songs, some crap about libraries and not much else. 

It's impacted by the lack of songs we have for our current players, and it takes time to create the bond between player and fans. We've been through a lot of players (and managers) over the last years.

The numbers are fantastic which is great, but the quality, as others have highlighted, needs improving.

Hopefully we can use this thread to help improve it...

Yup it's exactly that, no one can fault the numbers, nobody is saying it should be less boisterous (i'd be the first to slag off the sanitisation and gentrification of football) all most of us want is a bit more class.

Sack off the pompey bollocks, stop nicking other clubs songs and come up with our own, and give the libraries stuff a rest. It all just makes us look noddy as f*ck

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I'm at qpr and I'm bringing my face paints and jester hat so you should see a marked improvement in a couple of weeks. 

You wont miss me. I'm wearing an Elves hat, my We 8 Pompey saints shirt over my hoodie, got some tinsel for my foam hand. Im wacky me. 

• Like 2

On 29/11/2023 at 12:40, Dman said:

That's because we are a family club, with family values which means that most of the menfolk don't feel the need to get pissed out of their minds and shout endlessly obscene remarks at the opposition fans or goalkeeper just to enjoy a football football match.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Hopefully the one benefit of the skates going 6 points clear at the top of the league, is the end of that shit 10 more years in league 1 chant… 🙏 

My thoughts when I saw the score last night, we need to stop that now. 

Walker-Peters song at Watford was decent hopefully that continues. 

18 hours ago, Turkish said:

You wont miss me. I'm wearing an Elves hat, my We 8 Pompey saints shirt over my hoodie, got some tinsel for my foam hand. Im wacky me. 

Closest away game to Xmas, I wouldn't be surprised if Saints left a santa hat on each seat anyway , it's a gesture they've done before