What's happened to our away support

franniesTache

This might be a controversial one for many on here, especially as the numbers we take away now are bigger than they've been in a very long time, but it seems to me that our away support is the worst quality in my lifetime.

This isn't just a reference to the dark fruits drinking, bad gear sniffing, inbetweeners wanabees that have sprung up (though it might be because of them), but it's more to do with the noise we make now.

Our obsession with the skates has actually reached a new level. At all the aways i've done this season we've sung about the skates more than anything else, with the low point for me coming first half away to Millwall when every single song sung was about them with the exception of OWTS.

It even reached a point this weekend where the local journalist covering our game for the yorkshire post commented on it on social media

Then you add to that the compulsion from some of the red lodge dwelling nippers to have to sing about libraries absolutely everywhere (i'd honestly not realised our support were made up of so many bibliophiles) and nippers who aren't even seven stone wet through "offering out" home fans and it just makes us look like f*cking yokels.

God knows what we can do to improve it but it's come to the point where some of us actually actively avoid our own fans to escape the bantz boyz.

Maybe it's just me getting old but all i really wish is our fans would have a bit of class and don't leave cities thinking Sotonians have the combined levels of class as spice addict who's wet himself in a JD Sports doorway

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

We do love a song about a library, I remember Cambridge away last season bloke behind me sang almost non-stop about them. 

Started off with:

Football, in a library, football, in a library 

Before moving on to the same song but with a different tune

Do do do , football in a library, do do do football in a library 

I had a mate who supports a different club tag along for the evening to visit the ground, gave him a good laugh, he still texts me occasionally asking if I've seen any good football in a library recently. 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, JRM said:

We do love a song about a library, I remember Cambridge away last season bloke behind me sang almost non-stop about them. 

Started off with:

I had a mate who supports a different club tag along for the evening to visit the ground, gave him a good laugh, he still texts me occasionally asking if I've seen any good football in a library recently. 

Boro away this season was the perfect example of the complete lack of a need for facts for them to sing about libraries. Boro's fans had spent the first 30mins or so loudly singing and some lad banging a drum, at the first break they had in noise one of our mouth breathers immediately - and loudly - started singing football in a library.

Fortunately a lot of them around him told him to shut up, but he genuinely looked confused to what he'd done wrong. 

I can only assume he was either deaf, or had his intelligence stunted because someone dropped a breeze block on his mum's stomach when she was pregnant. Either that or he'd never actually been to a library in his life.

25 minutes ago, JRM said:

Started off with:

Sounds like we're quite a cultured bunch. We should also have some songs about going to the theatre or visiting a museum too.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

What makes the chant worse is that most real libraries are too fucking noisy these days. They get treated like internet cafes and nobody gets told to shut up anymore.

“Is this an internet cafe, is this an internet cafe” doesn’t have the same ring to it though 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, franniesTache said:

Boro away this season was the perfect example of the complete lack of a need for facts for them to sing about libraries. Boro's fans had spent the first 30mins or so loudly singing and some lad banging a drum, at the first break they had in noise one of our mouth breathers immediately - and loudly - started singing football in a library.

Fortunately a lot of them around him told him to shut up, but he genuinely looked confused to what he'd done wrong. 

I can only assume he was either deaf, or had his intelligence stunted because someone dropped a breeze block on his mum's stomach when she was pregnant. Either that or he'd never actually been to a library in his life.

I'd wager that this is entirely the case.

3 hours ago, franniesTache said:

This might be a controversial one for many on here, especially as the numbers we take away now are bigger than they've been in a very long time, but it seems to me that our away support is the worst quality in my lifetime.

This isn't just a reference to the dark fruits drinking, bad gear sniffing, inbetweeners wanabees that have sprung up (though it might be because of them), but it's more to do with the noise we make now.

Our obsession with the skates has actually reached a new level. At all the aways i've done this season we've sung about the skates more than anything else, with the low point for me coming first half away to Millwall when every single song sung was about them with the exception of OWTS.

It even reached a point this weekend where the local journalist covering our game for the yorkshire post commented on it on social media

Then you add to that the compulsion from some of the red lodge dwelling nippers to have to sing about libraries absolutely everywhere (i'd honestly not realised our support were made up of so many bibliophiles) and nippers who aren't even seven stone wet through "offering out" home fans and it just makes us look like f*cking yokels.

God knows what we can do to improve it but it's come to the point where some of us actually actively avoid our own fans to escape the bantz boyz.

Maybe it's just me getting old but all i really wish is our fans would have a bit of class and don't leave cities thinking Sotonians have the combined levels of class as spice addict who's wet himself in a JD Sports doorway

Only been away to Sheffield Wednesday this season, but I know a few people who have been mentioning this and how noddy it is, with special references they make to "weird" people who make up a lot of individual groups you'd see supporting us today.

You now find 3 tiers fans on matchday

1. Those who were there before

2. Those who are there for the match and only the match (Sammy Saints Enthusiasts, non botherers, neutrals)

3. The not here before / where have they come from? section - One of my mates specifically said lots of the "hardcore and normal fans have stopped going" in place of "either complete tools on tiktok dressing up like the firm or noddies who live in la la land, or act like extras off green street". I guess this is the football in a library brigade. 

Sadly it's a problem at home as well. If you start something about the city/team you'll get about 5 people joining in. Then someone, who wasn't joining in with the chants before would start some bollox song about Pompey and most of the stand will join in. This is in the once great, not so any more Itchen North. And people said going down would improve our support. I never went away that much but I went to away games such as Leicester in 2020 (?) after the 9-0 when we brought low numbers and the support was much more impressive with less idiotic songs.  

Edited by SotonianWill

4 hours ago, franniesTache said:

I was with you until the last line. Read Sports Direct ... im not sure many of them can afford JD 😁

Was certainly subdued on Saturday. I can understand it falling a bit flat in the second half with the performance, but it didn’t really get going in the first half, or pre-match. There didn’t seem to be any urgency among the support (or the team for that matter). 

Strange as the support at Hull a month ago I thought was quite good through the match. Perhaps  motivated by some gobby toothless inbreds in the home section to our right in the first half. 

Agree with others that the constant repetition of songs about skates is tedious. Perhaps a reflection that we no longer have any real heroes in the team. 

100% - the singing about Pompey is fucking tedious. But look at our traveling and vocal home support. You could pick most of them out in a lineup - the quadruple XL replica shirt, traveling in packs with blokes that all look eerily just like them, pissed as a fart and dribbling out some bollocks about Pompey.

On Saturday we were about 10 minutes from the ground when we started to hear the Milbronks accent brigade splurting on about how much of a shit hole Huddersfield is, and they continued this all the way to the ground and in the queue to get in.

When we did get in a group of 7 or 8 lads who looked no older than 20 were taking up the 4 seats on our tickets. They moved without a fuss, but only to cram into an even tighter spot so they didn't have to separate. So I had one lad who stank of beer and needed to piss every 5 minutes stood in front of me most of the game. Oh, and they didn't say a fucking word. Just stood there complaining about the cold, and about Smallbone.

However, It is hard to criticise anyone that travels those distances to support the team (although I did just do that above, go figure!), and I do think there is an element of "signing about Pompey because we've had fuck all else to write a song about" over the last few years. If we can sustain this good run for a few more months, hopefully some new, positive songs will emerge and take hold. 

Anyway. Here we are, too old to want to use Twitter or TikTok, moaning on an archaic forum about the "young people" and how they choose to follow a football match. Fuck my life. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

This is not really a new thing, as long as I've been going there has been an...eclectic...mix amongst our fanbase. I started going regularly over 50 years ago and our support has always been a bit hit and miss. The Dell was great on its day but it certainly suffered as being one of the only grounds in the country not to have a bank of covered terracing behind the goal for home fans like most others around the country that became the focal point for the more vociferous fan (until it went all seater).

And the fact we almost totally ignored the lower league skates up until really the 80s, was one of the biggest reason their "scummer hate" really festered from the late 60s through the 70s. We lived in their fucking heads by ignoring the dinlos. The first time I remember our lot giving them attention in a chant was the " We are Southampton, the pride of the south..." it started well then rapidly went downhill with 'lyrics' that made no sense whatsoever. Typical of some of our support from that point, stupid songs that made no sense and they still do it these days with a strange need for shoe-horning words with too many syllables into chants. It just seems a lot of ours just ain't very bright, we've got more than our own fair share of dinlos.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Matty's Caddy said:

Teach the woolston ferry ffs. I know most of them are half Neanderthal but perseverance is the key

No one is going to ever sing that bloody song.

People have been trying to make it a "thing" for thirty odd years, it's never going to happen. And quite right too.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

This is not really a new thing, as long as I've been going there has been an...eclectic...mix amongst our fanbase. I started going regularly over 50 years ago and our support has always been a bit hit and miss. The Dell was great on its day but it certainly suffered as being one of the only grounds in the country not to have a bank of covered terracing behind the goal for home fans like most others around the country that became the focal point for the more vociferous fan (until it went all seater).

And the fact we almost totally ignored the lower league skates up until really the 80s, was one of the biggest reason their "scummer hate" really festered from the late 60s through the 70s. We lived in their fucking heads by ignoring the dinlos. The first time I remember our lot giving them attention in a chant was the " We are Southampton, the pride of the south..." it started well then rapidly went downhill with 'lyrics' that made no sense whatsoever. Typical of some of our support from that point, stupid songs that made no sense and they still do it these days with a strange need for shoe-horning words with too many syllables into chants. It just seems a lot of ours just ain't very bright, we've got more than our own fair share of dinlos.

It's a good point and to be fair we've always had songs about out rivals for last 40 odd years, I remember growing up in the late 80s early 90s going to away games hearing classics:

If I had the wings of a sparrow 

My old man said be a Pompey fan

Fratton Park is falling down, falling down 

We are Southampton the pride of the South, we hate all the bastards that come from Ports-mouth 

I used to like hearing from.the back of the away terrace - somebody give me an SSSSS OOOOO UUUU TTT HHH

Remember the "I can't read, I can't write but that don't really matter....." was that a song for our rural based fans? don't hear that anymore , probably a sign of the times and disappearing green belt in the SO post code region 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JRM said:

Remember the "I can't read, I can't write but that don't really matter....." was that a song for our rural based fans? don't hear that anymore , probably a sign of the times and disappearing green belt in the SO post code region 

Thank fuck for that, another weird one from the thickos. Anyone uttering anything about strawberries, ferries or skates should immediately be lined up against the wall and shot.

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

No one is going to ever sing that bloody song.

People have been trying to make it a "thing" for thirty odd years, it's never going to happen. And quite right too.

Indeed. Or any song involving any of us driving tractors, that was apparently in vogue in the 70's.

3 minutes ago, Katalinic said:

Indeed. Or any song involving any of us driving tractors, that was apparently in vogue in the 70's.

That was definitely an early 80s thing for a very small bunch of our dinlos at the back of the Milton. What the fuck it had to do with Southampton and giving support to a football team only they would know.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JRM said:

It's a good point and to be fair we've always had songs about out rivals for last 40 odd years, I remember growing up in the late 80s early 90s going to away games hearing classics:

If I had the wings of a sparrow 

My old man said be a Pompey fan

Fratton Park is falling down, falling down 

We are Southampton the pride of the South, we hate all the bastards that come from Ports-mouth 

I used to like hearing from.the back of the away terrace - somebody give me an SSSSS OOOOO UUUU TTT HHH

I always thought that was a nod to Mick Channon, and his Wurzelese manner of speaking, I seem to recall a line "my names Mike..." but I could have dreamt hat. 

12 hours ago, Matty's Caddy said:

Teach the woolston ferry ffs. I know most of them are half Neanderthal but perseverance is the key

Why? Those of us from the western side of the water don't give a toss about the Woolston Ferry. Rather sing about the Hythe Ferry, or better still, no ferry at all. 

Edited by LGTL
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LGTL said:

Why? Those of us from the western side of the water don't give a toss about the Woolston Ferry. Rather sing about the Hythe Ferry, or better still, no ferry at all. 

I'd like to see this sung more, great song deserving of more recognition

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Toussaint said:

I always thought that was a nod to Mick Channon, and his Wurzelese manner of speaking, I seem to recall a line "my names Mike..." but I could have dreamt hat. 

Not sure on that but I was enjoyed the lyric "I can plough and milk a cow, drive a great big mower, what I want more than anythings to be a strawberry grower" 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JRM said:

Not sure on that but I was enjoyed the lyric "I can plough and milk a cow, drive a great big mower, what I want more than anythings to be a strawberry grower" 

I just did a google, looks like its not unique to Saints and may have been a Bristol City song, Plymouth song and Birmingham??? amongst others amongst others.

5 hours ago, Saint_Jonny said:

Anyway. Here we are, too old to want to use Twitter or TikTok, moaning on an archaic forum about the "young people" and how they choose to follow a football match. Fuck my life. 

If it's any consolation, it comes to us all in the end.  And going off on a tangent, don't get me started on modern "Music" and ripped jeans. 🤬

• Haha 2

I don't mind the Fratton Park is falling down chant, but the last two away games it's been non stop, and it's getting a bit weary now.

We need more chants about our players. Kyle Walker Peters deserves on, and I heard a great one about Adam Armstrong at Stoke away (the same one as the England Harry Kane chant) but not heard it since.

Edited by Pamplemousse

14 minutes ago, gammon cheeks said:

Fratton Park is falling down has a good but the lyrics are shit!  We have Saints go Marching in , Shoot the Pompey scu m ,E I E O , Southampton till die ....but no catchy new chants about our own club to be honest 🤔

I do wonder if part of the problem is a big part of our modern "support" have no connection to the city itself. Why would they care about loving Southampton, or take pride in the history of the city, when they're not from it, and have no connection to it.

To them Southampton is a football club/form of entertainment, rather than their roots and history of their family.

Mind you maybe that logic doesn't work, because i can't for the life of my understand why someone from Wiltshire - with no family connections to the city - would "hate" pompey, it's all just pantomime at that point.

Also @TheAlehouseBrawlers made a really good point, right up to the mid/late 90's we just ignored the skates most of the time and that wound them up something chronic. Don't get me wrong I f*cking hate the c*nts, not the football team, the city and people in it, but, and maybe because of that, I don't want to sing about them all the time.

Also agree with @JRM i'd love to see Great to be back in Southampton used (and it doesn't even need to be the whole thing, just the chorus and bit about going to the game) but I honestly can't imagine our newer fans doing that.

A while back our lot tried to get something new going to the tune of Dock Of The Bay, which given St Mary's is on the docks seemed to make sense, but literally no one bothered trying to join in.

That was,

Left my home in Hampshire,

Headed out from Weston Bay.

I've got something to live for,

Love Southampton till my dying day.

Oh sittin' on the dock of the bay,

Watchin' the tide roll away.

Sittin' on the dock of the bay,

Wasting time (time oh time).

Two, Three, Four (and repeat).

Would've been unique, catchy and about the city/club, but instead we get another song nicked from Man City which mentions the skates.

On 27/11/2023 at 15:13, franniesTache said:

& what songs did you try to start at Millwall etc??? 

Dont like the skate songs, then you thought about creating any songs yourself instead of moaning at all the others trying to create an atmosphere??

Don't like it, then get off your a*** & do something about it! 

Edited by warsash saint

6 minutes ago, warsash saint said:

& what songs did you try to start at Millwall etc??? 

Dont like the skate songs, then you thought about creating any songs yourself instead of moaning at all the others trying to create an atmosphere??

Don't like it, then get off your a*** & do something about it! 

second half a shedload, as @Noodles34 will tell you if there's one thing i'm not it's quiet.

Oh and for the record the Danny Ings song? That was us who came up with it. The Our Claus song? That was us who came up with it. Hell there's been a fair few more we came up with too (and you've probably sung).

It's always funny when people say "what did you try and start" to people behind a screen, as they're almost certainly don't know who that person is

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, franniesTache said:

second half a shedload, as @Noodles34 will tell you if there's one thing i'm not it's quiet.

Oh and for the record the Danny Ings song? That was us who came up with it. The Our Claus song? That was us who came up with it. Hell there's been a fair few more we came up with too (and you've probably sung).

It's always funny when people say "what did you try and start" to people behind a screen, as they're almost certainly don't know who that person is

Fair enough - i stand corrected & apologise

I do agree on your points however & applaud you for at least coming up with a variety - hopefully you will have more success going forward

Edited by warsash saint
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, franniesTache said:

I know who you are and i've seen you at games sitting down with your sandwich box full of fairy cakes and flask with a blanket over your legs so stopping giving it the biggun you toby.

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I know who you are and i've seen you at games sitting down with your sandwich box full of fairy cakes and flask with a blanket over your legs so stopping giving it the biggun you toby.

Sit in the posh seats mush, and always act with class and decorum. That's why i want an away day up at yours, we'd take the tea rooms UNCHALLENGED

• Haha 2

Is the issue that new blood can rarely get an away ticket as we sell out quickly most games to some who have been to the last 150 away games in a row? I've tried three times to get an away ticket with mates this year and it's been sold out before it reaches 2 aways. 

I can't do a season ticket due to work but manage 12 to 15 homes a season.

Perhaps a bit of spyware on awayfans mobile fans can be activated when they sing shit songs. It gives them a little shock and a text to sing something else 😲

Not a moan just a suggestion 

Edited by RedWillie
  • Like 1

Think there's a general malaise in all clubs regarding original chants. "Oh when the Saints" has been plagiarised by so many clubs now. It particularly pisses me off when Spurs pipe out their rendition but even Huddersfield started "Oh when the Town" last week. The only mildly amusing one of those was when Chelsea started singing "Oh when the saints go marching out" when we were being hammered a few years back.

Perhaps we could latch on to a pop song like Sheff Wed/Wolves.

10 minutes ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Think there's a general malaise in all clubs regarding original chants. "Oh when the Saints" has been plagiarised by so many clubs now. It particularly pisses me off when Spurs pipe out their rendition but even Huddersfield started "Oh when the Town" last week. The only mildly amusing one of those was when Chelsea started singing "Oh when the saints go marching out" when we were being hammered a few years back.

Perhaps we could latch on to a pop song like Sheff Wed/Wolves.

There is literally a song with the lyrics “the Saints are coming”.

5 hours ago, Turkish said:

I know who you are and i've seen you at games sitting down with your sandwich box full of fairy cakes and flask with a blanket over your legs so stopping giving it the biggun 

Edited by Noodles34
Wrong person reply to

5 hours ago, franniesTache said:

And the Jack Stephens song. Which was one of the best. 
Also my song 

‘We are the Scum, we are the Scum, we are, we are, we are the Scum

I've been going to away games since the early 70s. It's not as risky now but it really has become tedious lately. So much so that I haven't been to many this season, although I'm getting my act together for December.

I'm not overly bothered about the songs but I wish they'd watch the game. I'm fed up having to fight to keep my seat as three coke heads try and fit into one space. Then they spend the whole game arguing with the stewards and each other.

In the 70/80s you stood where you wanted. Loons to the middle, those with more interest in the game a little to the side. Maybe try a bit of unallocated seating.

This isn't unique to Saints, a lot of clubs have a weird away following now.

In terms of numbers and enthusiasm for away games it's hard to criticise at the moment , looks like we've virtually sold out nearly 3k for QPR in just one day of sales, makes you wonder how many we could take if they gave us another stand. 

About 2700 sold for Coventry at the moment (on a Wednesday night) still on general sale that one. 

• Like 1