What's happened to our away support

franniesTache

55 minutes ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

Agreed but if there was a repertoire of the old songs, we'd know about it by now. Looking at that thread from a few weeks ago all that used to get sung was the Woolston Ferry and that song about being illiterate. Make of that what you will.

Ironically that farmer song is one I have actually heard irl... this season. 

Ive read through the threads of old songs, some not bad ones in there, but would need someone who’s actually sung them before to start them. I’m also cautious of nostalgia related to our atmosphere ever being that good. 

As @franniesTachesaid, people who actually know these songs have moved away due to influx of those of my generation coming in (mostly from the northam). I’m not going saturday but I know Walsall have an everywhere we go ditty, of which our version is always there if one wishes to sound like a Cub Scout. It could or could not possibly be worse than singing at Stu Armstrongs fine hair or Onuachu’s d*ck. 

12 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

As @franniesTachesaid, people who actually know these songs have moved away due to influx of those of my generation coming in (mostly from the northam). I’m not going saturday but I know Walsall have an everywhere we go ditty, of which our version is always there if one wishes to sound like a Cub Scout. It could or could not possibly be worse than singing at Stu Armstrongs fine hair or Onuachu’s d*ck. 

To be fair the issue was never age, there were plenty of nippers in the Itchen North when it was good, the issue was that people moved from the Northam and acted like the same mouth breathers they'd been in the Northam.

Pre-Covid we actually had two different cultures, the Northam with it's rent a seal mob singing about pompey at a million miles an hour and shoehorning Saints players names into which ever song United/City/Liverpool/Rangers had sung the week before.

And then we had the Itchen North who were undeniably a bit moodier, re-hashed a lot of the stuff from the Dell and started new songs based on old songs from the 80's and Soul music from the 60's.

Post covid every red lodge window licker decamped from the Northam to the Itchen North thinking it was all about "surging" at away fans and wearing casuaclone fancy dress, what was good was ruined, what was unique was diluted, and it's now just the Northam lite.

Sadly those nippers that moved over didn't get that, and it would've been a lot better for the club if they'd stayed put and made their own thing in the Northam (the same way the Milton, Under the East, the Arches and the west benches all had their own cultures).

But that wasn't going to happen, and it's why those of us that we coming up with new stuff pre-covid left blocks 1/2, we didn't want to sit with those lot in the Northam, and we don't want to sit with them now.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, franniesTache said:

To be fair the issue was never age, there were plenty of nippers in the Itchen North when it was good, the issue was that people moved from the Northam and acted like the same mouth breathers they'd been in the Northam.

Pre-Covid we actually had two different cultures, the Northam with it's rent a seal mob singing about pompey at a million miles an hour and shoehorning Saints players names into which ever song United/City/Liverpool/Rangers had sung the week before.

And then we had the Itchen North who were undeniably a bit moodier, re-hashed a lot of the stuff from the Dell and started new songs based on old songs from the 80's and Soul music from the 60's.

Post covid every red lodge window licker decamped from the Northam to the Itchen North thinking it was all about "surging" at away fans and wearing casuaclone fancy dress, what was good was ruined, what was unique was diluted, and it's now just the Northam lite.

Sadly those nippers that moved over didn't get that, and it would've been a lot better for the club if they'd stayed put and made their own thing in the Northam (the same way the Milton, Under the East, the Arches and the west benches all had their own cultures).

But that wasn't going to happen, and it's why those of us that we coming up with new stuff pre-covid left blocks 1/2, we didn't want to sit with those lot in the Northam, and we don't want to sit with them now.

As a very infrequent attendee nowadays due to work it's probably easy for me to say, but I can't believe that situation that you felt the need to move was allowed to develop. What happened to the "good old days" when the older generation made it pretty clear to the "nippers" where the boundaries lay, whether it was down your local or in your section of the ground. A quick but firm  "cut that crap out or don't come back" said the right way😉 was usually enough. 

2 hours ago, Wurzel said:

What happened to the "good old days" when the older generation made it pretty clear to the "nippers" where the boundaries lay, whether it was down your local or in your section of the ground. A quick but firm  "cut that crap out or don't come back" said the right way😉 was usually enough. 

Good luck with that approach. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Wurzel said:

As a very infrequent attendee nowadays due to work it's probably easy for me to say, but I can't believe that situation that you felt the need to move was allowed to develop. What happened to the "good old days" when the older generation made it pretty clear to the "nippers" where the boundaries lay, whether it was down your local or in your section of the ground. A quick but firm  "cut that crap out or don't come back" said the right way😉 was usually enough. 

We did that but were ending up in rows every week, because each week a new group of inbetweeners high on dark fruits would turn up and try the same old sh*t. In the end it was just easier to leave them to their noddy behaviour.

Shame really as the Itchen North was decent and now it's another shitty noddy fest

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, franniesTache said:

We did that but were ending up in rows every week, because each week a new group of inbetweeners high on dark fruits would turn up and try the same old sh*t. In the end it was just easier to leave them to their noddy behaviour.

Shame really as the Itchen North was decent and now it's another shitty noddy fest

So it’s all your fault for taking the easy option. 😉

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

So it would appear our fans actually outdid themselves with how shit the away support can be at Watford, by actually singing about libraries in a pub before the game had even started.

Seriously what is wrong with these people? Surely given it seems a lot of us hate this crap maybe it's time to start openly telling these dinlows to shut up?

https://x.com/paul_sorrell/status/1751584090669691025?s=20

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, franniesTache said:

So it would appear our fans actually outdid themselves with how shit the away support can be at Watford, by actually singing about libraries in a pub before the game had even started.

Seriously what is wrong with these people? Surely given it seems a lot of us hate this crap maybe it's time to start openly telling these dinlows to shut up?

I was stood in front of a load of inbreds yesterday at the game, vaping all game & singing about Pompey, Fratton Park, Westwood & how shit Watford was all game long. Before forcing "limbs" by jumping down 3/4 rows when we scored. 

Seems to be a "younger" fan problem from my experiences this season. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SaintNewForest said:

I was stood in front of a load of inbreds yesterday at the game, vaping all game & singing about Pompey, Fratton Park, Westwood & how shit Watford was all game long. Before forcing "limbs" by jumping down 3/4 rows when we scored. 

Seems to be a "younger" fan problem from my experiences this season. 

I think it's harsh to pin this on younger fans, plenty of younger fans don't want to look like confused yokels with the intelligence of a house brick.

My opinion is it's more of a social media problem than an age problem, it's just that many of those that want social media validation happen to be younger

• Like 5

It’s such a stupid song as I shouted at them yesterday they obviously couldn’t hear the drum either. Hate that song!

Isn’t that what we want the home fans to be very quiet not roaring their team on?

Embarrassing kid walking to ground holding red flare!

21 minutes ago, franniesTache said:

I think it's harsh to pin this on younger fans, plenty of younger fans don't want to look like confused yokels with the intelligence of a house brick.

My opinion is it's more of a social media problem than an age problem, it's just that many of those that want social media validation happen to be younger

Correct. I’m convinced it has something to do with Tik Tok, as I keep hearing about groups called “lemons” who promote stone island, watching green street, and all copy the same songs - despite them not scanning. 

3 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

Correct. I’m convinced it has something to do with Tik Tok, as I keep hearing about groups called “lemons” who promote stone island, watching green street, and all copy the same songs - despite them not scanning. 

Sounds like we need to get @franniesTache a tiktok account to become an influencer of such people

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, franniesTache said:

There were a bunch of 16-17 year olds who came into the pub by the train station, all they did was sing 'Watford's a shithole, I want to go home' and seemed to get annoyed when nobody else joined in (everyone was either chatting in their groups or watching the football like most normal people). I've seen these group of lads a few times at away games. I am embarrassed sometimes by them, and I wonder if I was ever that annoying at that age!

3 hours ago, gio1saints said:

IF Stu and Jan play the next match v Rotherham they both complete 200 appearances for Saints at the same time. 
Would be nice to recognise this at the match and especially by Saints social media…😉

Think this has already been raised...

On 12/01/2024 at 12:42, Lord Duckhunter said:

What a noddy idea. 

They should present supporters with a “Thanks for watching our 200 appearances, of which the majority were shite” flag. 

... although not with complete approval or agreement 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

47 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

There were a bunch of 16-17 year olds who came into the pub by the train station, all they did was sing 'Watford's a shithole, I want to go home' and seemed to get annoyed when nobody else joined in (everyone was either chatting in their groups or watching the football like most normal people). I've seen these group of lads a few times at away games. I am embarrassed sometimes by them, and I wonder if I was ever that annoying at that age!

Yes, bunch of effete no hopers.  I have it on good authority that their ringleader, Kalamari Doyle - something like that - is about to move to Brighton, so hopefully the associated muppets will knuckle down soon.    

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Some people started singing Taylor Harwood Bells to the football in a library tune yesterday.

Hopefully, the tune gets reclaimed to be about a player rather confusing people to the point where we have some of the away end singing about libraries while others are doing it for THB.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

That bunch are one of the main reasons we avoid drinking anywhere near our own fans as much as possible, it's deeply embarrassing to be associated with yokels like that to be honest.

Funny thing is they want to play at being a bit green street but can only do it because football is a lot more sanitised now, if they'd tried that even back in the 90s it would've been done once then learnt the consequences.

17 hours ago, Badger said:

I’ve not seen him and some of his nearby cronies since about 2020 at St Mary’s  or away matches. 

Apparently he had some mental health issues, you still see him about but he seems to have grown up, lost the indiana jones hat and is acting more normally these days

18 hours ago, niceandfriendly said:

What's this about football in a library? Have totally missed that one. Any videos to judge how bad it is?

"Is this a library" set to music by Verdi. It's been around for centuries but I guess people are starting to feel it's a bit overdone in comparison to underrated bangers like Woolston Ferry.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

"Is this a library" set to music by Verdi. It's been around for centuries but I guess people are starting to feel it's a bit overdone in comparison to underrated bangers like Woolston Ferry.

To be fair, whenever I watch any TV games, the away fans of every club, wherever they are, seem to spend most of the game singing, "Your support is f...ing sh!t." This must surely be a great inspiration to the team they have travelled to support.

Ours tend to be more polite, hence the popularity of the library song. Maybe we could further enhance our reputation next time by singing,  "Is this a Carthusian monastery?" Although the home fans might well reply they find this rather obtuse,  or words to that effect.

Edited by Nordic Saint
  • Haha 3

It's quite simple, red army non stop only punctuated with bursts of OWTSGMI followed by wall of noise red army non stop. Different pockets of the away end joining in to keep things ticking along. EIEIO at full time depending on the result. 

Absolutely no room for any wankery in the form of library or anti Pompey songs. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 30/01/2024 at 20:49, Ted Bates Statue said:

That's an older one isn't it? I thought the one people were on about here was the more recent "football in a library, do do do" (think Johnny Viafara).

Both are terrible to be fair.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jasonb said:

It's quite simple, red army non stop only punctuated with bursts of OWTSGMI followed by wall of noise red army non stop. Different pockets of the away end joining in to keep things ticking along. EIEIO at full time depending on the result. 

Absolutely no room for any wankery in the form of library or anti Pompey songs. 

God no. Our songbook is horrendously limited as it is and you want to limit it further? We need to go the other way and add new songs.

The slow version of OWTS gets far too many outings and is part of why away atmospheres fizzle out early as people get bored.

Fast OWTS is much better as it can be kept going for a long period, all our best away atmospheres tend to have a continuous 10-15 minute period of this at some point in my experience.

Edited by EssEffCee
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, EssEffCee said:

That's an older one isn't it? I thought the one people were on about here was the more recent "football in a library, do do do" (think Johnny Viafara).

Both are terrible to be fair.

Ah, in that case I stand corrected. Only been to home games lately so I'm not sure I've heard either recently.

It would have made more sense to recycle that tune for one of our players. Taylor Harwood-Bellis would work as I don't think we have one for him already.

22 minutes ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

Ah, in that case I stand corrected. Only been to home games lately so I'm not sure I've heard either recently.

It would have made more sense to recycle that tune for one of our players. Taylor Harwood-Bellis would work as I don't think we have one for him already.

I'm sure I heard Taylor Harwood-Bellis being sung at Watford (on the stream, I wasn't there).

10 hours ago, EssEffCee said:

God no. Our songbook is horrendously limited as it is and you want to limit it further? We need to go the other way and add new songs.

The slow version of OWTS gets far too many outings and is part of why away atmospheres fizzle out early as people get bored.

Fast OWTS is much better as it can be kept going for a long period, all our best away atmospheres tend to have a continuous 10-15 minute period of this at some point in my experience.

Totally disagree with that. 

As soon as OWTS gets faster it stops after one verse!

• Like 3

There were long periods of silence in the 2nd half . Probably mainly because everyone in ground knew we were going to win .

we’ve never been a fan base that makes up lots of songs or even picks up on songs it’s taken 4 years for the Stuart Armstrong song to be sung .

there was a good song ( and it didn’t even include Pompey)  about Fraser just after he went of but I dare say will be knocked back by the usual suspect because it’s not a song he made up .

17 minutes ago, IFHP said:

there was a good song ( and it didn’t even include Pompey)  about Fraser just after he went of but I dare say will be knocked back by the usual suspect because it’s not a song he made up .

Well, what was it? 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, IFHP said:

we’ve never been a fan base that makes up lots of songs or even picks up on songs it’s taken 4 years for the Stuart Armstrong song to be sung .

Was interesting to hear it sung quite so often yesterday, I hadn't noticed it so prominently in the other aways I've done this season.

What sums up your point about how we have a chronic lack of song creativity is that they just sing the Stuart Armstrong version identical to the Celtic version. Not even an attempt to adapt it to the fact that we have two key players with Armstrong as a surname and a two syllable first name. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Was interesting to hear it sung quite so often yesterday, I hadn't noticed it so prominently in the other aways I've done this season.

What sums up your point about how we have a chronic lack of song creativity is that they just sing the Stuart Armstrong version identical to the Celtic version. Not even an attempt to adapt it to the fact that we have two key players with Armstrong as a surname and a two syllable first name. 

At least they stopped that absolutely horrendous version of the Yaya/Kolo Toure song with hand movements. They tried getting it going years ago for Kevin and Steven Davis too. 

5 hours ago, Turkish said:

At least they stopped that absolutely horrendous version of the Yaya/Kolo Toure song with hand movements. They tried getting it going years ago for Kevin and Steven Davis too. 

Oh they've been doing the Adam / Stuart Armstrong song at home games this season. It's dreadful. Hand movements as well by some 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I'd love to see us take 7000 up to Blackburn in April, they give the biggest allocation in the league, just a shame its so far away. Can you imagine that many singing football in a library in unison would be legendary turn out. 

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, JRM said:

I'd love to see us take 7000 up to Blackburn in April, they give the biggest allocation in the league, just a shame its so far away. Can you imagine that many singing football in a library in unison would be legendary turn out. 

Could make it our famous seasonal fancy dress day out to and everyone could come dressed as librarians for added bantz.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Could make it our famous seasonal fancy dress day out to and everyone could come dressed as librarians for added bantz.

FFS don’t encourage our dinlos, they’ll all turn up looking like ‘Where’s Wally’.

As long as it’s not changed to a stupid-o’clock kick-off then I can see a lot going up. Didn’t we take 5,000+ up there for a league match some time back after some website rallying call and the momentum just grew?

One of my best aways was at the old undeveloped Ewood Park for a FrIday night FA Cup game in 1984 - I’m sure there were a few lads that post on here there that night.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Paul Chuckle said:

Oh they've been doing the Adam / Stuart Armstrong song at home games this season. It's dreadful. Hand movements as well by some 

And this is exactly the reason a "kop end" will never work for me, i'd rather pour caustic soda into my own eyes than stand in the Northam with dins doing this personally

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

Go one step further and half the away end dressed as librarians and the other half dressed as Michael Jackson and sing librarian girl at them.

Then the librarians can respond with "dewey system, we only use that"

1 hour ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

FFS don’t encourage our dinlos, they’ll all turn up looking like ‘Where’s Wally’.

As long as it’s not changed to a stupid-o’clock kick-off then I can see a lot going up. Didn’t we take 5,000+ up there for a league match some time back after some website rallying call and the momentum just grew?

One of my best aways was at the old undeveloped Ewood Park for a FrIday night FA Cup game in 1984 - I’m sure there were a few lads that post on here there that night.

can you imagine 7000 Saints fans dressed as librarians, waving books over their heads singing "is this a library". Off the scale bantz.

• Haha 2