Sekou Mara

SuperSAINT

Posted (edited)
On 03/05/2024 at 16:02, Saint_clark said:

People who write off Onuachu forget that Rasiak was a quality striker at this level. I don't think he'd be suited to Martins style of play but if we had someone that liked the wingers and fullbacks to go down the wings with pace he'd be ideal. 

Yes exactly. Rasiak was the kind of player you wouldn’t notice all game but give him a chance he was clinical .. I don’t mind a striker like this at all much better then having a Adams’ type that fucks up 7 chances out of ten yet had good hold up play 

Edited by pimpin4rizeal

On 30/04/2024 at 17:36, kitch said:

Agreed, but not for us. Suits a slower game. I've given up on him now, get rid in the summer along with Sulemana.

Should suit us then but once again, totally useless today. What's particularly frustrating is that he never breaks out of a jog. There were a couple of occasions today when a little more effort and he could have got to the ball first or put their player under pressure - but he didn't. 

I've also given up on him. Hope he doesn't play for us again.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 05/05/2024 at 15:17, pimpin4rizeal said:

Yes exactly. Rasiak was the kind of player you wouldn’t notice all game but give him a chance he was clinical .. I don’t mind a striker like this at all much better then having a Adams’ type that fucks up 7 chances out of ten yet had good hold up play 

Not sure if you're referring to Onuachu or Mara but I've seen nothing from either player to suggest they are "clinical". Onuachu has scored goals in Turkey but they are all from crosses, something we don't tend to do, as Saint Clark said.

The difference between Adams and Mara is, even if Adams isn't scoring he helps others to score. If Mara isn't scoring he doesn't do a thing. 

Edited by Harry_SFC
  • Like 1

I think Mara has regressed in his time her. He showed a few flashes last season, but now he's toilet.

Shame.

[Insert comment about his mum].

If i'm honest today was a good result as we played 10 men for most of it. He is so bad it's not even a joke anymore, club should be able to sack him as he cannot do his job.

I can't be arsed with him anymore. I'd play Stephens up front in front of this fella.

• Like 1

I remember that African lad we had, Mayuka (?) sat behind me in the stand at a pre season game in Spain with Maya and “Box head” Jos - he was often asking Maya sat next to him what was going on, on the pitch. 
I just wonder if Mara is of a similar mould, where he knows what to do in his own world, but doesn’t quite know what everyone else is doing around him and whilst he is working it out for himself he is mostly a step or two off the pace of the game. Watching yesterday, a good way into the first half, I wondered who the Saints player was moving to the ball, the commentator says “Mara” - thank you, I’d forgotten he was on the pitch!!

There must be academy boys watching and thinking “what do I have to do??!!”.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Should suit us then but once again, totally useless today. What's particularly frustrating is that he never breaks out of a jog. There were a couple of occasions today when a little more effort and he could have got to the ball first or put their player under pressure - but he didn't. 

I've also given up on him. Hope he doesn't play for us again.

One decent overhead attempt in the first half, and two good moments in the second (forget what they were, but by "good" I mean the basics). Stewart did more in the last 20mins.

Was waiting at the back post, to tap in a cross ball that never came.

Nice control, pass and move into space in the second half for a return ball that didn't get to him.

Che-like drop back into midfield, creating the space that led to a chance for others.

Clearly prefers to remain higher up and central. Wants to receive it far more than go out and work at getting it back for the team. That led to those moments, where he was off the press and general lack of work rate and intensity.

There were moments when we did get it into his preferred area, only to find he'd vacated it moments before, taking himself out of the attack.

He is capable of getting a goal. But there's a fair bit of our build up play that would have to change, to get him enough chances.

Che and Stewart offer lots more. AA and Aribo offer more too, but are needed elsewhere. That would leave Sule as an option. When AA was offside a couple of times against WBA, I was thinking they'd not be that high up knowing Sule was on the park.

He can't play with his back to goal, put in no effort to wn the ball back, struts around like he doesn't care & hardly scores. 

He's a luxury player, without the luxury bit. 

Waste of space, the sooner he fucks off the better. 

The longer the season has gone on, the more I can't believe we let Alacarz go - Would have much rather we had him up there than Mara. 

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Dman said:

He can't play with his back to goal, put in no effort to wn the ball back, struts around like he doesn't care & hardly scores. 

He's a luxury player, without the luxury bit. 

Waste of space, the sooner he fucks off the better. 

The longer the season has gone on, the more I can't believe we let Alacarz go - Would have much rather we had him up there than Mara. 

Said it in another thread, but I'd have sooner have kept Ballard in the summer & sent Mara to Reading. Would have had more of an impact I feel. 

• Like 2

We need players who run and work hard, who are versatile and selfless. That's what's been required under the bright spells of a few recent managers.

It's why AA, Che, Downes are key. It's why Aribo, Smallbone and Stephens are playing.

Mara looked a little disheartened having to put in the work, knowing there was no personal reward in it, in those moments. That impacts other bits of his game.

I recall Alcaraz looking frustrated at all the things outside his natural game, he was having to do as well.

In the end, those players who can't adapt to it, are the ones who will be moving on. Hopefully, the recruitment team are learning a few things about personalities too.

• Like 2

He was also incompetent at marking Barkley from set pieces. He was the last man on each occasion who presumably was meant to track Barkley, who was their last man. Three times Barkley was free at the far post. He is ill-suited to our game, but also lacks the basic discipline (at this stage) to play at this level. It's unfathomable that we spent £10m on him. Along with Onuachu, Sulemana, Larios, Bazunu, Alcaraz, Charles (the last 4 may eventually come good, but haven't demonstrated that they will to date) it's close to a £100m sh!tshow of a transfer strategy given none of them are in our first team. TheGoldMineEffect my arse. 

• Like 1