Sekou Mara

SuperSAINT

2 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

Yeah my bad, I thought he came from City!

Wonder if we can find a buyer in the summer.

Not a chance. He will go somewhere on a free/loan and be incredibly average at best

4 minutes ago, adrian lord said:

You weren't at the Ali Dia game then?

Ali Dia never got a fair chance, deserved a run in the side to show what he could do 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

I can take lack of ability, but not lack of effort.  He has been cheating the club for a while.  Definitely get rid.

Yeah totally agree, for a young lad like him to just stroll around is unforgiveable, yet he must think he's doing ok for Martin to keep putting him on the bench and keep bringing him on !

Christ knows why he got a round of applause when he went off yesterday for that half arsed performance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bpsaint said:

Yeah my bad, I thought he came from City!

Wonder if we can find a buyer in the summer.

He’ll probably end up like Valery or Boufal; someone in France will take him for a pittance of a fee, just to get him off the books. To think we supposedly got him at a knock down price because Bordeaux had a cash flow problem makes me wonder what we actually thought he was worth, full price.

37 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Yeah totally agree, for a young lad like him to just stroll around is unforgiveable, yet he must think he's doing ok for Martin to keep putting him on the bench and keep bringing him on !

Christ knows why he got a round of applause when he went off yesterday for that half arsed performance.

Maybe they were pleased that he was being taken off, or because it was the last time that they would see him?

• Haha 1

I’ll be fascinated if there is anyone on this thread now that still thinks there is a player in Sekou Mara?

Two months ago after the Huddersfield game there were some creaming themselves that he was underrated; I remember saying don’t get carried away, one performance doesn’t mean he’s turned into prime Messi. 😂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, beatlesaint said:

Maybe sympathy for the fake limp he put on?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

He shit, yet has his own song. Downes holds the team together and yet has nothing.

Just wish the songs could be factually correct. We don’t know that he scores goals, in the same way that the opposition goalkeepers aren’t fat. 

• Like 1

I am less concerned about the poor performances of Sekou Mara, more concerned about the state of mind of Mr Martin and the club for putting the poor sod in the fans firing line week after week by not recognising that he does not have the skill set to respond to the system being promoted. 

As a general point fans should lay off all the personal abuse levelled at him on here, it doesn't help at all.

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

As a general point fans should lay off all the personal abuse levelled at him on here, it doesn't help at all.

19 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Bloody pathetic. Aimless rubbish. Surely SR must dump the clown soon. 

Yeah, don't you just hate it when people dish out personal abuse and call people names 

• Haha 20

3 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Yeah, don't you just hate it when people dish out personal abuse and call people names 

To be fair, the person who gets to use the 'Charlie Wayman' account on Sundays has always been much more level headed than the Saturday fella... ;)

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

I thought the same thing.  I certainly didn’t clap the lazy cunt.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, LoyalSaintSO50 said:

It’s a low bar but probably the worst player I’ve seen in 40 years watching us. Get rid 

2 hours ago, adrian lord said:

2 hours ago, JRM said:

Ali Dia never got a fair chance, deserved a run in the side to show what he could do 

Couldn't wait for that chancer Le Tissier to go off. 🙂

3 hours ago, adrian lord said:

I was and there’s not much between them to be fair. I just felt Mara even made clapping look strenuous as he limped off and just got a feeling he’s more of a fraud 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When we bought him from Bordeaux they were very, very close to going bust. He was one of their assets they hoped to sell to stave off bankruptcy. But rather than pay a price good for SFC we paid a good price for Bordeaux €10m, the sort of generous price you would pay in a sellers market which it clearly wasn't. 

Their board at the time said as such thanking the officials from Southampton for paying a realistic fee and not taking advantage of their situation. !!! This was before SR took over but clearly we were mugs then too. 

NB: Mara mum is a well know TV host on french national telly. 

1 hour ago, Morse said:

NB: Mara mum is a well know TV host on french national telly. 

Did Semmens think she was part of the deal, or that we were signing her instead?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

I think his general demeanour is laid back, he will always come across like that - but that means there's even more need for him to turn up and show up on the pitch, which he's incapable of doing. So if he's laid back and not even delivering then we might as well stick a mannequin out there.

We've had some utter crap players over the years, some way worse than Mara, but he's certainly on the list of the bad ones.

Going to put my head above the parapet here. I think Mara is a victim of the Brooks/Rothwell loan madness. When they arrived he was regularly getting minutes at the end of games and starting to find the net and there were calls to start him over Che. Then he was completely frozen out.

The last few games he's been indifferent at best. Though I thought he was much more committed against Stoke. He took a punch in the face getting to the ball before their keeper.

Don't think Saints is the place he's going to succeed at.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ally_uk said:

Shoot me down but I still think he has talent and something to offer wouldn't write him off completely. 

Agreed, but not for us. Suits a slower game. I've given up on him now, get rid in the summer along with Sulemana.

I want to be positive about our players but I also don’t see anything in Mara that makes me think he will be a success here. Part of it is his attitude (he pulls out of tackles etc) but also the club is to blame. Throwing him on in different positions for 5 minutes here and there.. how can any player thrive under those conditions? 

He needed to go out on loan to league 1 or 2 this season and learn how to be a striker (or a winger. What even is he at this point?).  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kitch said:

Agreed, but not for us. Suits a slower game. I've given up on him now, get rid in the summer along with Sulemana.

Wait, what?  Suits a slower game than our sideways crab football?  That kind of just leaves the walking football leagues.

• Haha 7

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Wait, what?  Suits a slower game than our sideways crab football?  That kind of just leaves the walking football leagues.

"Russell Martin's strategy was just far too high energy for me" complains "exhausted" Sekou Mara.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

A slower game?

How about postal chess?

• Haha 3

On 01/05/2024 at 06:44, Weston Super Saint said:

Haha! I think even that might be a stretch!

A slower game as in, the other team plays more slowly, too. French or Spanish leagues, that kind of thing.

Tall Paul: A striker who can score with his head, left or right foot. No use for him here. Think with the right supply, he could be a very good striker for us. Never given a chance really. I personally would like to see him back in a Saints shirt and given a chance with a team playing to his strengths....which is never going to happen. Feel for Mara, does show some promise and has scored some great goals but then drops off. Very intermittent player, which for a professional is unforgivable really.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, CylonKing said:

Tall Paul: A striker who can score with his head, left or right foot. No use for him here. Think with the right supply, he could be a very good striker for us. Never given a chance really. I personally would like to see him back in a Saints shirt and given a chance with a team playing to his strengths....which is never going to happen. Feel for Mara, does show some promise and has scored some great goals but then drops off. Very intermittent player, which for a professional is unforgivable really.

People who write off Onuachu forget that Rasiak was a quality striker at this level. I don't think he'd be suited to Martins style of play but if we had someone that liked the wingers and fullbacks to go down the wings with pace he'd be ideal. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

People who write off Onuachu forget that Rasiak was a quality striker at this level. I don't think he'd be suited to Martins style of play but if we had someone that liked the wingers and fullbacks to go down the wings with pace he'd be ideal. 

Yeah. There are systems that woul really suit Onuachu. Should we not go up, SR have decisions to make, not only on RM, but the type of manager they want next.

We didn't get the strikers for Ralph. Paul came in when it was too late for Nathan, and then didn't suit Russ. Such a waste. We'll have different types of player back with us over the summer. Perhaps the next manager will actually want some of them.

• Like 1

On 28/04/2024 at 01:23, LoyalSaintSO50 said:

It’s a low bar but probably the worst player I’ve seen in 40 years watching us. Get rid 

I think there's quite a few that would be ahead of him: Calum Davenport (as already mentioned), Ryan Smith, Paul Moody, Tommy forecast, Anthony pulis, ...).

He's lazy, but he's got his work cut out to be Ali Dia bad...

1 hour ago, StrangelyBrown said:

I think there's quite a few that would be ahead of him: Calum Davenport (as already mentioned), Ryan Smith, Paul Moody, Tommy forecast, Anthony pulis, ...).

He's lazy, but he's got his work cut out to be Ali Dia bad...

If that’s our line up for the next ‘soccers sixes’ I’ll be more grumpy than usual. I’d still make Mara slice the oranges  

6 hours ago, LoyalSaintSO50 said:

If that’s our line up for the next ‘soccers sixes’ I’ll be more grumpy than usual. I’d still make Mara slice the oranges  

Ha ha ha, he's shown a particular talent for slicing so I see where e you are coming from 😉

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I've often wondered if all the players that are slated as being bad are only bad in the system imposed on the team by Martin. You don't really need flair players or players who can conjure up a piece of magic now and then. As long as their first touch is reasonable and they can pass a ball 5 yards then they're in. I do find it interesting that some of the players we labelled as not good enough for our team have blossomed elsewhere in a different system.

Edited by Oldandtired

6 minutes ago, Oldandtired said:

I've often wondered if all the players that are slated as being bad are only bad in the system imposed on the team by Martin. You don't really need flair players or players who can conjure up a piece of magic now and then. As long as their first touch is reasonable and they can pass a ball 5 yards then they're in. I do find it interesting that some of the players we labelled as not good enough for our team have blossomed elsewhere in a different system.

I really can't think of many who've been a flop here and done it for someone else at a similar level. Most of our cast offs over the last few years have ended up in weaker, continental leagues or the Championship. 

On 30/04/2024 at 13:57, ally_uk said:

Shoot me down but I still think he has talent and something to offer wouldn't write him off completely. 

He’s a better finisher then Adams .. so I guess it depends what you want from your striker .. I’d hundred percent rather chances fell to Mara then Che.. 

1 minute ago, SaintsFan86 said:

The system we played today will suit Mara alot more effectively than the system of one player leading the line.

yeah, he'd still be shite

• Like 3