Sekou Mara

SuperSAINT

He may have a future with us; he probably won't.

But bearing in mind the criticisms earlier in our run about not putting teams to the sword (and/or hammering them), he's now playing a role in that.

Flat track bully or no, he's far from anonymous at present.

• Like 2

He’s got to stop this scoring and assists per minute thing going on when he makes his off the bench limited minutes appearance because it’s making everyone who’s written him off look a bit premature. 😂

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Absolutely terrible up until that point. Can't hold it up, can't beat a player, poor in the air.

He's a young reserve player for us that probably isn't going to be relied on this year. Nevertheless, when he's played he's scored goals and provided assists. He's fine backup imo. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

He's a young reserve player for us that probably isn't going to be relied on this year. Nevertheless, when he's played he's scored goals and provided assists. He's fine backup imo. 

Maybe in this league. If our ambitions are higher then I'd disagree. 

Have to say he disappointed me today. This was a chance to show what he's about but he looked sluggish, very slow and lacking in self belief. He probably wasn't helped by the fact that the whole team was completely lack-lustre until the 4 subs came on but I expected to see more.  

• Like 2

He was better once he had better players around him, he struggles to do it alone and does need to be carried a bit I think. There was no one to carry him in that first half and he was shown up a bit.

Looked better once the better players were creating the space and angles though.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Absolutely terrible up until that point. Can't hold it up, can't beat a player, poor in the air.

And apart from his shot, he didn't look much better after our subs came on and changed the game. Players on the fringe need to seize opportunities like this and he didn't. True, the midfield weren't giving him much service but his touch looked heavy, he looked a lightweight and he didn't seem to have that urgency.

Dibling also looked afraid to run at people and there was an occasion when he was fed through and had an acre of space but instead tried to thread a pass. Yes they're young but I expect them to have a go.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

He hasn’t though. His only two league goals this season have come in injury time of games when we were already 3-0 up at home. I never thought I’d be accusing a striker of scoring ‘pointless’ goals but that’s pretty much what they are, the opponents had already checked out and were mentally on the coach home.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

He hasn’t though. His only two league goals this season have come in injury time of games when we were already 3-0 up at home. I never thought I’d be accusing a striker of scoring ‘pointless’ goals but that’s pretty much what they are, the opponents had already checked out and were mentally on the coach home.

He hasn't played much and has provided a fair number of assists recently. I very much doubt we will bring anyone in to play as backup for the rest of the season. 

40 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

He hasn't played much and has provided a fair number of assists recently. I very much doubt we will bring anyone in to play as backup for the rest of the season. 

He has 1 assist this season according to flashscores. 

3 minutes ago, Pat from Poole said:

He’s absolutely terrible.

Slow, lazy and zero threat to the opposition.

If Adam Armstrong or Che get injured, promotion is gone this season.

Che barely played earlier in the season and we were fine. Armstrong I'd grant you but that would be the case for almost any team in this league who lose their top scorer and assister. 

Edited by hypochondriac

Trouble is the season long injury to The Loch Ness Drogba has meant him playing more than they probably would have liked. I know RM bristled at the suggestion but I do wonder if he would have been loaned out had we not had the Stewart situation 

2 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

Maybe in this league. If our ambitions are higher then I'd disagree. 

We play in this league. He's fine for it as back up. Regardless, it's him or Che to play through the middle, so the boss ain't got much choice but to play him. 

8 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Trouble is the season long injury to The Loch Ness Drogba has meant him playing more than they probably would have liked. I know RM bristled at the suggestion but I do wonder if he would have been loaned out had we not had the Stewart situation 

Exactly. A club in our position can't afford to spunk that much on a striker and then bring in a replacement. Blame the club for taking a risk on Stewart if you're pissed at Mara's position in the squad. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Exactly. A club in our position can't afford to spunk that much on a striker and then bring in a replacement. Blame the club for taking a risk on Stewart if you're pissed at Mara's position in the squad. 

Yep. Absolutely this. We ain't buying a striker good enough to get us up and play in the PL. It's just not happening. We've got what we've got, and Mara has to play when needed. People seem to think we can just pop in eBay, buy a box ready striker, and bobs your uncle. 

1 minute ago, Appy said:

He’s absolutely awful, doesn’t add anything to the team. 

Who should RM play instead? Easy to whinge about him, but he's here and has gotta be used. 

No amount of trying to rationalise Stewart’s injuries and the amount of money paid for anyone will change the fact that Mara has been a very poor signing, who rather than showing promise in the Premier League is doing almost nothing in the Championship. "Good back up," just means he isn’t really good enough to play for us but the damage will be limited if he’s used in small doses.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

No amount of trying to rationalise Stewart’s injuries and the amount of money paid for anyone will change the fact that Mara has been a very poor signing, who rather than showing promise in the Premier League is doing almost nothing in the Championship. "Good back up," just means he isn’t really good enough to play for us but the damage will be limited if he’s used in small doses.

I'd rather we had signed a decent striker in the summer that wasn't injured so we wouldn't have to have this conversation (and I said as much at the time.) We didn't do that so Mara is our backup. 

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

But let’s be honest he’s pretty much had no league starts and just the last 20 odd minutes of the matches really .. in that time he has scored and had some impact s few times ..

aside from that cup games like this where the whole team is disjointed through so many changes ..

im not sure what everyone expects from him really in those circumstances 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

He clearly has talent remember that’s Leeds pass!

Absolutely. This is beginning to rival Gaston Ramirez  for ‘ Never to be forgotten, but yet to be matched first game award’. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Badger said:

Absolutely. This is beginning to rival Gaston Ramirez  for ‘ Never to be forgotten, but yet to be matched first game award’. 

Previous winners also include 

Ryan Smith

Yohann Folly

Scott Marshall

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Previous winners also include 

Ryan Smith

Yohann Folly

Scott Marshall

Thought he was the ‘Worst CB Debut Award’ , until Bennett ( on loan from Reading).

Marshall might shade it on OG’s if taken over three games though. 

Holgate at Sunderland worthy of honourable mention here ( although not sure if playing CB or RB, in truth he played as neither). 

7 minutes ago, Badger said:

Thought he was the ‘Worst CB Debut Award’ , until Bennett ( on loan from Reading).

Marshall might shade it on OG’s if taken over three games though. 

Holgate at Sunderland worthy of honourable mention here ( although not sure if playing CB or RB, in truth he played as neither). 

Marshall is up there with one of the worst players ever but when we signed him he was definitely in the “he clearly has talent” category. It was considered a coup when we got him, right up to the point where he played a match for us 

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Marshall is up there with one of the worst players ever but when we signed him he was definitely in the “he clearly has talent” category. It was considered a coup when we got him, right up to the point where he played a match for us 

Agree. Great shame Dave Jones wasn’t able to play him and Lee Todd in the same back four. 

11 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Who was that striker we had in the championship who scored that quality goal in his first game and then was rubbish and never did anything again. From memory he was Australian but could be wrong. 

Sounds a bit like Robertson, I don’t remember him being in any way Australian though.

43 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Who was that striker we had in the championship who scored that quality goal in his first game and then was rubbish and never did anything again. From memory he was Australian but could be wrong. 

Jordan Robertson, not Australian. 

Did end up in prison, so, similar to Australia. 

• Haha 1

Still think he has a lot of talent, but he was poor yesterday (until he got moved to the middle, then he was nearly 'OK')

It's like he runs with a rope tied round him, holding him back. He needs lots of game time at a high(ish) level, and we can't afford to give it to him. A frustrating talent.

I'll be honest, I thought this would be the season that he'd kick on - I thought he'd be a handful in the championship. 

He's struggled to get any game time (which says a lot given a quater of the season we played without a striker) and when he has, he's been shite. Lazy disinterested and just all round nowhere near good enough. 

I'm certain there is a player in there, I'm also fairly certain he doesn't want to be here (England or Saints). I woudln't at all be surprised if he went back to france and had a decent enough career. 

Even he looked suprised when he wasnt taken off 😁 I just hope Che's streak of scoring hasnt dried up, he could'nt pass to our players yesterday either, saying that he may go by the close of play Wednesday then we will be relying on Mara to get us promoted...🙄

12 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Jay Lucas was an Australian striker. Not sure if he scored on debut mind. 

Also Scott McDonald, but he didn’t score for us. Decent career in Scotland after leaving Saints. 

Edited by Doctoroncall
Add Scott