Sekou Mara

SuperSAINT

Like a lot of you on here, he’s pretty much shown nothing in his time here but the one niggle in the back of my mind is his movement and finish against Man City makes me think it’s the team not playing to his strengths. We rarely put the ball across early from out wide. 
bit like with tall Paul up front, again not playing to his strengths (although his first touch was about as good as mine)

My issue with Mara isn’t ability as such - more than happy to accept players need time to develop and/or settle if new. My issue is attitude and work rate. His performances have mostly been beyond lazy, and I don’t have time for people with the wrong attitude. I’ll never forget how abject his effort was against Grimsby. I remember one game (might have been the same) where he was actually gently jogging on the spot rather than closing someone down. It was a real wtf moment.

I sense he was distinctly unhappy, maybe homesick, maybe just a kid struggling in a new country with managers and coaches who’d didn’t rate or support him. Whatever the case, he couldn’t be arsed whenever I saw him. You can’t just sulk your way into the team however much you cost.

All that being said, his cameo on Saturday was markedly different. If the player hiding in there can come out and be combined with a proper professional attitude as we briefly saw on Saturday then great - I’m all for it. Good for us, good for him and we might save a few quid. But up until now he’s done nothing to warrant a start and it’ll need a few more cameos full of that effort level before I think he’ll have earned a start. 
If it were up to me I’d offer him the start in the cup if he puts in the effort as a sub between now and then.
ArmA is his perfect up close example of what is required and how form and confidence can turn around IF you put the graft in.

As ever, appreciate there are people who see it differently… it is just my opinion

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Seriously Mara

Yes he scored, but he was massively lacking composure and any form of speed in his previous two chances, one of which ended up being the penalty that was awarded.

As someone mentioned above, he never looks interested, and he seems to be wanting an absolute age to take a touch and steady himself before having a shot.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Sekou Mara

Still remain convinced there's a player in there. Ask yourselves how many of our other attackers would have been on the end of that cross on Saturday? Che would've been stood still in the box watching it. Only AA possibly would have met that, but even then I'm not convinced.

He gets bit parts, with 5min cameos here and there, which for a 21yr old trying to find his feet is a pretty rough deal. I think he just needs to adapt to the pace of the game here, and he won't do that on the bench. Thought he was solid when he came on against Blackburn, though he should have put that one-on-one away, but that's again that's a lack of match sharpness and confidence.

• Like 4

If there was a 21 year old French u21 international with his goal scoring credentials and potential available on a loan from any big club we’d be delighted to snap him up and give him some minutes. 
Im glad he got on instead of Che. He got his goal and got us a penalty in his 15 minute cameo plus missed a good chance. Ok against ten men but I dont care - he still did what he was supposed to do- have an impact. If we want him to grow and add value to the team - and to SR bank balance, he needs minutes.

You cannot pay big money for him atm but if he scores ten goals between now and end of season I bet there will be very big money offers for him..the next Thierry Henry perhaps…

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

If there was a 21 year old French u21 international with his goal scoring credentials and potential available on a loan from any big club we’d be delighted to snap him up and give him some minutes. 

His goal scoring record in the last 4 seasons: 1-6-1-1

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Im glad he got on instead of Che. He got his goal and got us a penalty in his 15 minute cameo plus missed a good chance. Ok against ten men but I dont care - he still did what he was supposed to do- have an impact. If we want him to grow and add value to the team - and to SR bank balance, he needs minutes.

You cannot pay big money for him atm but if he scores ten goals between now and end of season I bet there will be very big money offers for him..the next Thierry Henry perhaps…

What are they?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Ten goals at Championship level? Am sure the massive bids will be rolling in. Comparing him to Henry? Not sure what you are seeing when he comes on.

I’m not his agent or anything! I meant His goal scoring credentials from when we bought him I forgot to say - see below - which were highly impressive.
That he played in a really bad EPL team under multi managers who all needed instant results last year is not his fault and all of about 45 minutes this year is not proper to judge him on either. Just saying if he was available now I reckon we’d be interested. Not trying to say he IS Thierry Henry either but he could be given the chance , that’s all, sorry to have offended so many of you by my trying to give a different take on Sekou than the current “ he’s had his chances at age 21” that seems prevalent atm. We are not going down and automatic looks v v hard- this is surely best time to test him out? 
https://www.tournoimauricerevello.com/en/smartphone/festival/detail_actualite.php?id=5273

• 2 weeks later...

I think he has the makings of an excellent player personally. As I've said before in the year and a half he's been here his total minutes are very low, despite the amount of appearances. His minutes a while back tallied up to 7 total games, he's probably only on 9 or 10 total games now if that. 

• Like 5

He needs to get out on loan and get some game time. I thought he'd get more this season, but seems to be 3rd in the pecking order behind a midfielder and Che who doesn't want to be here. 

Lets see if we can get him out to france or somewhere where he'll get game time and hopefully gain some confidence. 

53 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

People tend to forget how young he still is, and is obviously far from the finished product. But I definitely see a player in him and his recent cameos have been very encouraging. I'd like to see him given more minutes.

Yep, younger than Mane when we initially signed him.

I like him. He has ability with the ball and a lot of confidence when he plays. We need to harness those attributes and get him doing things like flicks and nutmegs in the right areas of the pitch. He needs good coaching so as to really learn how to play the position. He also needs a manager that trusts him and shows some faith in him. 

The trouble is, he's miles off the finished article and unless we stay in this league it will be difficult for him to make it here.

• Like 1

I hope he sees a future here and gets time to develope. Like all our young players, they are still raw with plenty of talent that will take a bit of patience to see them mature into great players.

Charly, charles, edozie, saa, gav, juan, sule and Mara all under 21, all raw, all very talented, all not the finished artical. I will support them as SFC players and hope they will develope in our team to be superstars!

I played and watched football most of my life and feel i have a good idea of what it takes to be a good - great footballer, quick to praise, slow to condem, so i dont get the disdane towards some of our players? 

Some of you have already 👎, ship him out, not good enough from what you see?? We spend millions on these prospects and track thier careers from youth, do you not think they come with some very good talent to build upon (with patience)?

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

I hope he sees a future here and gets time to develope. Like all our young players, they are still raw with plenty of talent that will take a bit of patience to see them mature into great players.

Charly, charles, edozie, saa, gav, juan, sule and Mara all under 21, all raw, all very talented, all not the finished artical. I will support them as SFC players and hope they will develope in our team to be superstars!

I played and watched football most of my life and feel i have a good idea of what it takes to be a good - great footballer, quick to praise, slow to condem, so i dont get the disdane towards some of our players? 

Some of you have already 👎, ship him out, not good enough from what you see?? We spend millions on these prospects and track thier careers from youth, do you not think they come with some very good talent to build upon (with patience)?

And that ends our sermon today, all the way from Bermuda, don’t forget to tune in tomorrow, as we have a very high profile member of the COT performing live baptisms…

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, LuckyNumber7 said:

Another excellent performance off the bench and some great work rate tracking back. Really like what I'm seeing of him lately

Agreed, thought he did very well. Clearly has a brilliant touch and also some skills to him, and he’s so young I think previous criticism of him has been very unfair. I think he’ll turn out a very decent player.

2 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Another excellent performance off the bench and some great work rate tracking back. Really like what I'm seeing of him lately

Agree, Mara is now starting to show what he can do. Looking forward to watching his development as we may have a future star on our hands. He has a lot more self confidence and clearly believes he belongs in the side.

10 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Not as obvious a decent performance from him tonight but still progress. Would like to see him get on the pitch earlier in games though, give him at least a half hour.

He'll definitely start against Walsall next weekend 

Yes he scored yesterday, but my god that was an underwhelming performance by him all round.

Bloke falls over, misses sitters, and generally looks so half arsed.

I find it baffling that he gets any form of backing, and feels like his couple cameo goals has made everyone forget how ineffective a player he is.

😂

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Yes he scored yesterday, but my god that was an underwhelming performance by him all round.

I find it baffling that he gets any form of backing, and feels like his couple cameo goals has made everyone forget how ineffective a player he is.

😂

He was poor for 89 mins and 30 seconds

• Like 1

On 30/12/2023 at 09:12, eurosaint said:

Like many players (including the likes of Aribo!) he would benefit from a run in the team but right now as we're winning that looks unlikely !

It's a bit unfortunate but I would certainly give him a start v Walsall and take it from there.....

Not really done much to warrant it though has he. A few okayish sub performances, he’s hardly been making himself undroppable, unlike Fraser who must be wondering what he has to do to get a start 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

😂

Yeah, god forbid we actually get behind our players...

He wasn't great yesterday but not that bad either. Missed a sitter but took his goal well.

• Like 1

Anyone who was at the Blackburn, Swansea or the Plymouth game would’ve seen why some still think there is a player in there. Good link up, good footwork, a good strikers goal and assist across those games. It’s frustrating that the cup games against lower opposition he’s never set the world alight, but I still think there’s a player worth persisting with. Equally not sure why people are so keen to rubbish him as its not like we’ve had to rely on him so can’t see how he’s made such a negative impression. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Anyone who was at the Blackburn, Swansea or the Plymouth game would’ve seen why some still think there is a player in there. Good link up, good footwork, a good strikers goal and assist across those games. It’s frustrating that the cup games against lower opposition he’s never set the world alight, but I still think there’s a player worth persisting with. Equally not sure why people are so keen to rubbish him as its not like we’ve had to rely on him so can’t see how he’s made such a negative impression. 

He rarely sets the world alight in any situation. All well and good coming on, making a few nice passes and getting a tap in, when a game is already won.

Yes - he is relatively young and still has a lot to learn, but I can't ever see him as a first choice striker. ( compare Dibling was a real handful for his 20 minutes.)

It always feels like 10 men... plus Mara.   He is not " a team player "  rarely seems to get involved . In that aspect he reminds me of Boufal.     

He can go AWOL for long periods, and then pops up with a spectacular attempt on goal...scoring occasionally, he missed two/ three good chances yesterday

but is otherwise rather ineffective in the general teamwork.   

Transferred at 19 moved to a new country

Scored on debut for France Under 21 - Thierry Henry manager

4 managers in 2 seasons at Saints

People forget Tella was 23 before he showed anything in championship.

Russ rates him and I expect him to get more minutes in the 2nd half.

I really dont get why everyone gets on his back, he was signed for the talent he showed in a relegation hit bordeaux after 1 season but was always a project player, not someone to be the cornerstone of our attack, he still needs to learn and also grow as a footballer - he's looked more physical this season for a start.

People act like it was their own money.

• Like 12

5 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Transferred at 19 moved to a new country

Scored on debut for France Under 21 - Thierry Henry manager

4 managers in 2 seasons at Saints

People forget Tella was 23 before he showed anything in championship.

Russ rates him and I expect him to get more minutes in the 2nd half.

I really dont get why everyone gets on his back, he was signed for the talent he showed in a relegation hit bordeaux after 1 season but was always a project player, not someone to be the cornerstone of our attack, he still needs to learn and also grow as a footballer - he's looked more physical this season for a start.

People act like it was their own money.

He’s fucking lazy

• Like 1

I thought Sekou had a reasonable game yesterday, certainly didn't notice any 'laziness'.

He's obviously not yet up to being a regular starter in the Championship but he ain't going to get any better unless we play him. Definitely a player with potential and worth persevering with given he's still only 21.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Eric The Red said:

I thought Sekou had a reasonable game yesterday, certainly didn't notice any 'laziness'.

He's obviously not yet up to being a regular starter in the Championship but he ain't going to get any better unless we play him. Definitely a player with potential and worth persevering with given he's still only 21.

Why not? Do players not improve with training?

We see this in alot of our chats on our forum, people become entrenched in their view on certain subjects and no new info or performance is gonna change that.

Hopefully he starts showing consistently what he's capable of but overall I hope the team continues their fine form in the 2nd half of the season and he contributes.

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 3

I was at those games mentioned above and he did nothing of note. 

Blackburn he dithered, tried to take about seventeen more touches and want an age to control the ball before shooting. He was fortunate that the Blackburn defender chose to bundle him over and giveaway the penalty.
He took the later goal well - but then again, any competent striker should be putting them away.

Anyone that thinks he isn’t lazy should look at what he does for the team, what does he contribute, to me he contributes anger and frustration. He forever looks half arsed.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1