Sekou Mara

SuperSAINT

1 hour ago, Give it to Ron said:

I see him as Long replacement 

Oh yeah I get that, but I mean where will he fit in - i.e. within the current starting 11 as a partner striker or no.10 or like Broja replacing Che/A Armstrong as a forward playing intermittently.  I think the latter is more likely.

3 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Oh yeah I get that, but I mean where will he fit in - i.e. within the current starting 11 as a partner striker or no.10 or like Broja replacing Che/A Armstrong as a forward playing intermittently.  I think the latter is more likely.

Judging from his clips, looks like he'd be more competition for Armstrong than for Adams. Think he'll be good at playing off of Adams' knockdowns and hold up play but can also hold the ball up well himself and bring others into play, too, as well as beating players or winning free kicks in good areas. Read somewhere he frequently drifts out wide - not disimilar to Broja when he was on form - so that would allow Aribo to come in and fill the space left behind and give us a more attacking threat than we had last year. Never heard of him before but think he'll be a good player for us based on the clips and articles floating around about him

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Beckenham Saint said:

Judging from his clips, looks like he'd be more competition for Armstrong than for Adams. Think he'll be good at playing off of Adams' knockdowns and hold up play but can also hold the ball up well himself and bring others into play, too, as well as beating players or winning free kicks in good areas. Read somewhere he frequently drifts out wide - not disimilar to Broja when he was on form - so that would allow Aribo to come in and fill the space left behind and give us a more attacking threat than we had last year. Never heard of him before but think he'll be a good player for us based on the clips and articles floating around about him

Yes agree with this - I too read that he tends to drift right and if that works well with Aribo it can only be a good thing providing it doesn't lead to us getting stifled out on the wing with nowhere to go and ultimately losing the ball and being hit on the break.  Saw that too many times last season.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Look beyond the number of games as that isn't a true reflection.

6 goals in only 898 minutes of football is pretty impressive. Especially as many of those minutes are in short spells at the end of games for a relegated team.

In other words, he played for a shit side yet still rarely made the first XI.

9 minutes ago, aintforever said:

How many nineteen year old strikers are playing regularly in any top league sides ?

As long as he is not our only signing up top then it’s a yes from me.

Excited but nervous.

I've wanted us to spend big on youth for years and years. Now we are, I'm as nervous as hell. I really hope we are buying the right ones. As always, the success of signings is critical to our improvement and taking us from relegation possibles to UEFA hopefuls. Last summer's Broja and Livramento signings should give me a lot of confidence, but only time will tell.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Seems promising, looks to be a Che type player to me. Still reckon two more players coming in, another striker and another no10.

When do we start selling then?

Looking at the toulon highlights he also seems to come in from the left as well so maybe that role as well

19 minutes ago, aintforever said:

That seems a bit harsh on a lad who was only just 18 when the season started last year.  I'd be concerned if he was all we brought in up front but doesn't sound like that's the case.  Arguably he's got better stats than Liam Delap and at least equivalent to Sesko, both of which have been mooted as decent signings.  

Newcastle, Aston Villa and Leeds are in a bunfight over the Bordeaux teenager Sékou Mara. The French club have been demoted to the third tier due to their financial problems and may need to sell the 19-year-old forward.

From the Graun! No mention of Saints whatsoever.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Winnersaint said:

Newcastle, Aston Villa and Leeds are in a bunfight over the Bordeaux teenager Sékou Mara. The French club have been demoted to the third tier due to their financial problems and may need to sell the 19-year-old forward.

From the Graun! No mention of Saints whatsoever.

The article that appears in (https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/jul/21/football-transfer-rumours-bayern-munich-to-move-for-frenkie-de-jong) was published before Bordeaux announced they had agreed a deal "in principle" with Saints. That said, even if it's 'old news' I agree it's odd that Saints weren't mentioned....

1 hour ago, northam soul said:

How many nineteen year old strikers are playing regularly in any top league sides ?

As long as he is not our only signing up top then it’s a yes from me.

I agree. I wasn't making out he was a bad player, just that we need a goalscorer who can walk into the side and score goals now.

19 minutes ago, trousers said:

The article that appears in (https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/jul/21/football-transfer-rumours-bayern-munich-to-move-for-frenkie-de-jong) was published before Bordeaux announced they had agreed a deal "in principle" with Saints. That said, even if it's 'old news' I agree it's odd that Saints weren't mentioned....

#undertheradar

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chez said:

Excited but nervous.

I've wanted us to spend big on youth for years and years. Now we are, I'm as nervous as hell. I really hope we are buying the right ones. As always, the success of signings is critical to our improvement and taking us from relegation possibles to UEFA hopefuls. Last summer's Broja and Livramento signings should give me a lot of confidence, but only time will tell.

Yep, you've got the same thought as me. I'm excited because it could be creating one hell of a ride for a few years, but equally it can go wrong!

When you sign proven players you somewhat know what you're getting and you can kind of align expectations, but next season we're going to be an unknown to absolutely everyone - even the oppo. Maybe that will work in our advantage in the early months of the season.

• Like 1

While this guy has great potential it seems, how many times have we signed these "players with potential" and "players for the future" players for them To deliver sod all! I am onboard with the signing young players as long as we get an experienced proven striker that is ready for the here and now and can go straight in the first team and deliver the goals to stay up! We are going to need another good start to the season as we all know we were beyond dreadful the second half 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mr X said:

While this guy has great potential it seems, how many times have we signed these "players with potential" and "players for the future" players for them To deliver sod all! I am onboard with the signing young players as long as we get an experienced proven striker that is ready for the here and now and can go straight in the first team and deliver the goals to stay up! We are going to need another good start to the season as we all know we were beyond dreadful the second half 

I'm very excited about these players, they seem to have buckets of talent but not too much experience of top flight football (aribo apart) and by buying enough of them when one or two drop in form others will be ready to come in .

The last experienced striker we signed was Carillo and that didnt work out too great, if you want a proven successful striker i honestly think your looking at 30m + and we can't afford that for 1 position, we have to gamble.

I agree we need another striker - just not sure where or what we will be spending but yes one around 23/24 would be ideal, play for a couple of years and sell on and Mara is the no.1 man then as he'd only be 21 and blooded.

Edited by Convict Colony

Some of his better goals at senior level. The Ligue 1 channel has disabled embedding so you'll have to go onto Youtube.

Low driven shot from a 'training ground' corner - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzv3zeciJCM

Low shot outside the box - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO_61H233lI

Half volley inside the box - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SPRtsv7YqM

Header from a corner - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DMT3iy-8SA

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, saintrich said:

Alternatively he has scored 10 goals in his last 12 appearances. 5 in the last 7 games of the season for Bordeaux and 5 in 5 for France at the toulon tournament last month. Maybe he just took a while to get going? 

Thanks, that is more hopeful. 

... I do like French football.

On 22/07/2022 at 09:45, trousers said:

Seeing as the thread is inevitably going off topic, anyone else hanker for the days where you could win an actual St. Bernard dog on TV quiz shows....?

“If they didn’t want him they could sell him back to the kennels for £150” 🤣🤣🤣

I actually found the Athletic analysis a bit concerning. Lots of shots, not a lot of them very accurate or effective sounds a lot like Adam Armstrong. Hopefully if you could compare Mara's stats from the start and end of the season you'd see a big improvement as he got more game time. 

On 24/07/2022 at 05:06, SuperSAINT said:

"But this time he is our player " is key to Ralf's thoughts. I think the Broga loan and giving him playing time over our signed strikers and not being able to buy the player without alerting the pl rivals or selling club of the potential of the player that we invested a year in, was a risk he is not willing to make again. 

That's why we went so big on Liam, buy or good bye. I don't think we will loan him. A loan for injury cover is all we will use them for. For exciting prospects a loan will just increase price and competition for their signature. 

Broja may still happen,  I have seen he is happy here, he is not, we can afford him, we can't....so we wait.... 

The loan and attempts to buy Broja and Liam were interesting strategies.  Showed huge ambitious and balls!

These 2 were under long contract and very highly rated, we have very little bargaining power. If like Tino, contract soon expiring, we have a much better chance of getting their signatures.

I think we were damed if we do, damned if we don't.......We are advertising ourselves as the "go to club" for showcasing youth talent. We showed them we wanted them because they are too good to ignore, and sitting behind a wall of senior players it must be tempting for the players. We sent our message......we are after serious youth talent seriously! 

• Like 1

I like him, something about him and really like the reports of why he wanted to join us rather than other clubs. Welcome young man. I'm sure Soggy will annoyed that i've given this signing my personal seal of approval.

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Sekou Mara