Sekou Mara

SuperSAINT

"Under 4th Saints boss" makes it sound like he's been a flop for years. He struggled in his first season in an already struggling team and played under 3 of those four managers in that one season. If anything, the amount of managers he's had to play under whilst adapting to a new country and a harder league whilst being a young player still developing should go in his favour, as he would have been back and forth multiple times about what the hell the team is expected to do.

I've seen enough in him to say that he shouldn't be ditched just yet, there is evidence of being a good finisher, he has good ball control (at times) and makes very good runs between defenders. Probably worth loaning out somewhere that he'll be starting every week to see how he progresses as he isn't going to get more than the odd 10 minute cameo here, barring major injuries to Armstrong, Stewart AND Adams. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

"Under 4th Saints boss" makes it sound like he's been a flop for years. He struggled in his first season in an already struggling team and played under 3 of those four managers in that one season. If anything, the amount of managers he's had to play under whilst adapting to a new country and a harder league whilst being a young player still developing should go in his favour, as he would have been back and forth multiple times about what the hell the team is expected to do.

I've seen enough in him to say that he shouldn't be ditched just yet, there is evidence of being a good finisher, he has good ball control (at times) and makes very good runs between defenders. Probably worth loaning out somewhere that he'll be starting every week to see how he progresses as he isn't going to get more than the odd 10 minute cameo here, barring major injuries to Armstrong, Stewart AND Adams. 

I'll be honest, I've seen nothing in him at all. He struggles to impact the game from the start or as a substitute in whatever league we are in.

For sure he's young and developing, but there comes a point where you just say he's not suited to a country or a style and just cut your losses. He'll be off on loan to a random lower french team in January I think, probably to never return.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I'll be honest, I've seen nothing in him at all. He struggles to impact the game from the start or as a substitute in whatever league we are in.

For sure he's young and developing, but there comes a point where you just say he's not suited to a country or a style and just cut your losses. He'll be off on loan to a random lower french team in January I think, probably to never return.

He's started one league game and been a sub in others, 182 minutes on the pitch in total - barely two full matches. Last season, 541 minutes across 4 starts and 18 sub appearances - a total of 6 matches worth, or playing 24 minutes in each of his appearances. That's the equivalent of 7 full appearances since he's been here. 

7 full appearances, 2 goals, 2 assists, a year younger than Sadio Mane when he signed for Saints. The guy might never make it here but he hasn't been given a fair chance to show whether he's suited to this country or style at all.

• Like 9

As Saint_clark said, he's not really seen enough game time, regularly, to get match sharp, let alone put a run of form together. Young, and not realistic to have expected him to hit the ground running. He did show some nice moments, but they seem a while ago now. Playing him wider didn't work. But again, he's not exactly played there much either.

With Stewart now fit, Mara drops down the pecking order. But Adams may go in January, and we could be leaving ourselves too light should both go, without a replacement.

"flop" is very harsh, considering the circumstances of our last couple of seasons. He'll have been working away to fit somewhere into Martin's system. If it doesn't work, then a loan or a move away. He's plenty of time to push on elsewhere, where he'll get that game time and perhaps a system that works for him.

• Like 2

Apart from the goal against City in the League Cup (super finish btw) and his cameo in the comeback draw against Leeds last season, he has shown very little.

I'd be surprised if hes not loaned out (with an option to buy) to a Ligue 1 team in January. With Stewart back fit, AA playing well and Adams still an option, there is no space for him. We also have players in midfield chipping in with goals. Would rather we offered what limited minutes he would get to one of the kids

He played one game for the U21s last season in PL2, and scored four goals. He's clearly too good for that level (moreso than Dom Ballard, who in turn is theoretically better than the kids who would be getting Mara's minutes were he to leave).

Maybe in January he should head to Valenciennes to save them from relegation; you think he'd score for fun at that level too. Their three main strikers have 0 goals from a combined ~15 full games' worth of minutes in the league this season. Though it's more likely that Adams leaves and Mara becomes the main backup to Stewart.

2 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Totally agree, everyone was saying how shit arma was too before russ gave him a consistent run and Mara has had even less chances 

he showed some flashes of being decent Also gotta factor in we where totally shit last season 

• Like 1

I think there is a player in there. He was pretty good when he came on against Hull and was involved in the goal. But then at Preston he was terrible.

I don't think we should write him off just yet but if Ballard comes good that's another one ahead of him in the pecking order. Hopefully we get someone shit in the FA Cup and he can play 90 minutes

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Two of them were a Welsh nightmare and out of his depth Selles.

Says it all.

As useless as they both were, one criticism I can’t aim at them is that they should have played Mara more often. The fact is that nobody who has managed Saints has rated him and he has done little if anything to indicate they’re wrong.

I'd sell him if we get anything like a decent offer, then try and find someone decent to replace him and Adams.

2 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Along with Mara why is aribo still at the club for? Seems a carthorse that constantly looses possession

He's done well more than once, coming on as a sub to see games out for us. The last of which, he looked a lot sharper and more mobile. He linked up well and offered a physical presence we lack elsewhere (Stewart might change that). While he's not as effective in whole games, we might have hoped for, he's definitely filling a roll (not just eating rolls) at the minute, and is worth having in the squad.

I wouldn't necessarily say that none of the managers have rated him.

Ralph gave him some gametime pretty early on in his time here. Jones said recently he was the best finisher at the club and in the last couple of weeks RM has repeatedly said he trains very well and is a good prospect in addition to bringing him on in a few quite crucial moments like Stoke & Preston away. He was also picked and scored for France U21s recently, which clearly shows he has something.

Seems like maybe he struggles to replicate his talent in training onto the pitch, and easy to forget he is still fairly young. Every time he plays for us he probably puts a lot of preasure on himself as he knows he doesn't get many chances and needs to make a statement.

Seeing as we paid upwards of £10m we arent going to just cut our losses. If Adams goes in Jan then I think he stays. If Adams stays then maybe a loan move to somewhere abroad would be viable but only worth it if he actually plays.

• Like 1

Personally think he is pretty useless. Whenever he's had an opportunity (albeit limited) he just hasn't taken it. 

Not sure what his attributes are. He isn't very quick, can't hold the ball up, doesn't win headers, isn't very good at pressing. He's got a decent pass in him but I don't think that's enough at this level.

I'd sell.

Edited by Harry_SFC

I'd send him on loan to an English club, purely to see if he can adapt to the conditions and physical nature of the game. If with an extended run in a team he shows he can then great, next season he may well be a decent player for us. If however he shows no signs of producing anything near the level we would want or expect then let him go back to France for his sake as much as ours. I was shocked to see he cost us £11 million tbh.

With Stewart nearing full fitness and looking good, A.Armstong playing well and Che playing as sub theres no chance he will be anywhere near the squad, he offers very little when he does play apart from some glimpes hear and there but that is not enough as when he does play he runs around like a headless chicken most of the time, he was hardly prolific for Bordeaux in Ligue 1 so just wish he's piss off back to France on loan or permanently in January

12 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Apart from the goal against City in the League Cup (super finish btw) and his cameo in the comeback draw against Leeds last season, he has shown very little.

I'd be surprised if hes not loaned out (with an option to buy) to a Ligue 1 team in January. With Stewart back fit, AA playing well and Adams still an option, there is no space for him. We also have players in midfield chipping in with goals. Would rather we offered what limited minutes he would get to one of the kids

Adams hasn't signed that deal that was offered. The club will be trying to shift him in January before he is a free agent. His time at the club is all but done... Which makes mara 3rd choice imo. 

He's had three good games for us in all comps.

Leeds home
Man City home in the cup
QPR home

That's it. If there really is any potential (which I'm doubting) he really needs to go out on loan somewhere to find it.

Edited by Bad Wolf

9 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

I think there is a player in there. He was pretty good when he came on against Hull and was involved in the goal. But then at Preston he was terrible.

I don't think we should write him off just yet but if Ballard comes good that's another one ahead of him in the pecking order. Hopefully we get someone shit in the FA Cup and he can play 90 minutes

Agreed ..I'd prefer to see Ballard on the bench and then Mara can be.. (a) loaned out  (b) sold .

IF we hold onto him for another season but he needs to improve.  Difficult.... because he is young and looks no better than when he arrived. 

His individual skills may impress some people but we need someone who is " a team player " - THAT - he is not.

21 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

Agreed ..I'd prefer to see Ballard on the bench and then Mara can be.. (a) loaned out  (b) sold .

IF we hold onto him for another season but he needs to improve.  Difficult.... because he is young and looks no better than when he arrived. 

His individual skills may impress some people but we need someone who is " a team player " - THAT - he is not.

Looks like Ballard out for a long time now

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/11/2023 at 13:57, Bad Wolf said:

He's had three good games for us in all comps.

Leeds home
Man City home in the cup
QPR home

That's it. If there really is any potential (which I'm doubting) he really needs to go out on loan somewhere to find it.

Newcastle home in the league cup, he was excellent IMO. Unfortunately the twat of a manager subbed him on the hour and then didn't pick him for the second leg. 

He's still young and has got some genuine skills, which makes me loath to write him off, but he has to do more and keep improving and quickly, otherwise his window of opportunity here is going to close.  

Why are we sooooo quick to judge a player who has hardly had any game time in a team that was playing poorly.

From what little i have seen of him, he deffinitely has some pace and technical ability (small sample). So i wait to see if he will be given the chance to show what he can do. 

It is silly to write off a player without giving him a fair shot at proving his worth. Players maligned like Baz, AA, Beds,SB, Airbo, Mann, Bree etc are all improving or proving they are good players after some shaky beginnings. 

Will Mara have people back peddling on thier "no, not good enough" opionion? Will people step back and give players time to show thier worth?

I just hope we all support a SFC player as long as he is trying to do thier best, they may not make the grade and it is up to the club to decide thier fate.

1 minute ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

Why are we sooooo quick to judge a player who has hardly had any game time in a team that was playing poorly.

From what little i have seen of him, he deffinitely has some pace and technical ability (small sample). So i wait to see if he will be given the chance to show what he can do. 

It is silly to write off a player without giving him a fair shot at proving his worth. Players maligned like Baz, AA, Beds,SB, Airbo, Mann, Bree etc are all improving or proving they are good players after some shaky beginnings. 

Will Mara have people back peddling on thier "no, not good enough" opionion? Will people step back and give players time to show thier worth?

I just hope we all support a SFC player as long as he is trying to do thier best, they may not make the grade and it is up to the club to decide thier fate.

Who else would be up to? 

what issue is it of fans discussing the ability of the players of the club they support?

15 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Who else would be up to? 

what issue is it of fans discussing the ability of the players of the club they support?

The issue is they seem to judge very quickly and harshly. This type of support would never have seen JWP develope and more recently Baz, AA etc.

YES, they are free to give thier opionions on players ability, and i have the right to have an opinion on thier short sighted, shite views of players they have hardly seen play.

I’ve never seen him play two or three games in a row. Several of our players have obviously benefited from that - Bree is a good example- so I cannot tell if SM is going to be great, or if it’s just a natty hairstyle and hype.😁

What I am sure of is he is certainly not shite otherwise RM would not be putting him on the pitch this season. And he would not be a France u21 player. 

So, with RS injured and still question marks over Che’s future id say it’s unlikely Mara will be loaned or sold because that will leave us short/ vulnerable- unless we in turn buy or loan in another ready cooked striker. 

Edited by gio1saints

19 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

I’ve never seen him play two or three games in a row. Several of our players have obviously benefited from that - Bree is a good example- so I cannot tell if SM is going to be great, or if it’s just a natty hairstyle and hype.😁

What I am sure of is he is certainly not shite otherwise RM would not be putting him on the pitch this season. And he would not be a France u21 player. 

So, with RS injured and still question marks over Che’s future id say it’s unlikely Mara will be loaned or sold because that will leave us short/ vulnerable- unless we in turn buy or loan in another ready cooked striker. 

i am a supporter and have been since the war and I remember Alf Ramsey getting rubbished by 'fans' who preferred Bill Ellerington as a right back.
i hope and believe Mara will come good, maybe not quite like Sir Alf. Best thing 'fans' can do is support and encourage. Mara will be fine when he gets regular games under one manger playing one system, he's been pushed and pulled in all directions since he came here.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Sekou Mara

I quite like Mara but he doesn't make it easy for people to make a defence of him.  He loses the ball far too often and mostly because he's trying some fancy flick that isn't needed, and he's got a style that makes it easy for people to think he's either lazy or doesn't give a shit.  Personally I doubt that's the case but it does look like it a lot of the time.

I think he's got talent and has the attributes to succeed but he does need to start delivering and hopefully with a bit of confidence he'll start looking a dangerous player for us.  With Ross Stewart out and Che not exactly setting the world on fire he should get some opportunities, if he hasn't taken them by the time Stewart is back then it's probably time to stop persevering with him.

I just went down a Wikipedia rabbit hole (no I wasnt trying to find out more about his Mum), and see that he won the Golden Boot at last years' Maurice Revello Tournament with 5 goals (Man Utd's Garnacho got 4). It used to be known as the Toulon Tournament and was viewed as a decent tournament for the best young International players, so there must be a player in there if he is excelling at that level.

He was also voted the 2nd Best Player in the tournament: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_Maurice_Revello_Tournament

Sorry if common knowledge, and I just missed it!?

Edited by St Louis
  • Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Sekou Mara