Sekou Mara

SuperSAINT

I've given up on him now to be honest. Just get rid of him in the summer, ship him off for free.

He looks shit at the level below we actually bought him for. He wouldn't even be useful at L2 level, hideous player.

• Like 2

On 10/01/2024 at 21:21, bpsaint said:

Sulky Sekou just looks fucked off all the time and I’ve seen nothing so far to suggest he’ll go on to have a career anywhere other than some also ran club in Ligue 1.

This was my opinion in January and it’s not changed a bit. Lazy and completely ineffective, he’s a waste of a spot on the bench. A few fans got a bit excited because he scored a couple of tap ins back in January and were convinced he had finally arrived!

On 11/02/2024 at 13:12, BERMUDASAINT said:

Are we getting another few pages of "I was so wrong about Mara". I hope so, if you could hand out the shite, surely you can eat it when so wrong on players abilities.

How about the early Mara haters reflect on their abilty to judge a football players ability and realise they should just  shut the fuck up!

Also massive LOL at this! 

The annoying this is that there's a player in there, but he just doesn't put the effort in, or appear interested in the cause. 

I wouldn't give any more minutes. Enough already. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, egg said:

The annoying this is that there's a player in there, but he just doesn't put the effort in, or appear interested in the cause. 

This is it. He showed a glimpse of finding a bit of form during our decent run, and I dared to believe he might finally 'come good'. But the apathy he showed last night is just unforgivable. 

Edit: Thinking about it, maybe he was trying to prove a point to RM that he's not a winger, but there are better ways to do that. And quite why Russ decided to bring him on to play on the wing when we had Edozie and Sulemana on the bench, I will never understand.

Edited by Sheaf Saint

If Martin is going to play Mara it needs to be as a striker. He looked better through the middle for the last few minutes. In the same way Adam Armstrong looks better out wide than through the middle. He didn't look sharp last night at all.

Still think he's worth persisting with. Obviously he's never going to shin, scuff or handle the ball into the net as often as Adams but then who is. I think he'd put away more conventional opportunities more often and probably trip over his own feet less often.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Edit: Thinking about it, maybe he was trying to prove a point to RM that he's not a winger, but there are better ways to do that. And quite why Russ decided to bring him on to play on the wing when we had Edozie and Sulemana on the bench, I will never understand.

Maybe RM was trying to make a point? "Make it difficult for me to drop you" or "here's a chance to earn a start" or the like. Whatever the motivation he threw the chance away.

9 hours ago, egg said:

We've had far too many of these in recent years unfortunatley.

Much like Boufal & Lemina I'm sure he'll go on to have a decent career on the continent but lets get whatever we can for him in the summer. 

I've pretty much all but given up. I know he's naturally suited more to a central role, but he came on last night and looked like he wasn't bothered about being there. Even if you're out of position, you can still run and close down etc. It was just a lack of effort.

Saddens me as I think Mara is a talent, but hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. Ballard would have done more if he'd had the same opportunities IMO.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, kitch said:

I've pretty much all but given up. I know he's naturally suited more to a central role, but he came on last night and looked like he wasn't bothered about being there. Even if you're out of position, you can still run and close down etc. It was just a lack of effort.

Saddens me as I think Mara is a talent, but hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. Ballard would have done more if he'd had the same opportunities IMO.

Was so pissed off with him just wandering around and doing fuck all to help the team out ggrrrrrr.

• Like 1

Another classic example of the manager clearly seeing something in a player that 99.5% of those in the stands watching don't. Week in, week out. When a player like that is given so many chances over other (seemingly) more talented/interested players, you can't help but wonder if all that you know about the game is actually nothing at all!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Rinse and repeat 🙄 why does Martin keep bringing Mara on!? 

Him and Che are the only physical forwards we have and their physicality helps them battle defenders and lay off balls for runners.

The rest of our team are smurfs.

4 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Him and Che are the only physical forwards we have and their physicality helps them battle defenders and lay off balls for runners.

The rest of our team are smurfs.

Calling Mara physical is a bit of a stretch, let's be honest. 

• Like 8

You don't bring Mara on when you only have a one goal lead and lost control of the game. RM needs to stop this madness. Mara is utter crap and so bloody lazy. Even RM recognised that his cameo on Tuesday was awful yet still gives an opportunity today. Truth be told if Ross Stewart was fit then Mara wouldn't even make the bench. 

4 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Calling Mara physical is a bit of a stretch, let's be honest. 

Ask Martin as thats what he says but he is bigger and is a focal point when he plays in the middle.

To be honest he did average today in his 15 mins, attempt at goal and no mistakes so not sure why this thread pops up.

As an example today KWP got rinsed on the left so much Martin switched him to the right, so let's discuss that.

On 09/04/2024 at 23:37, egg said:

Struggling to see it.

I think his ‘angled slide rule pass’ v Leeds (August 2022) is up there with, possibly overtaking,  the Gaston Ramirez second half v Villa as flattering to deceive and clouding judgement. 

• Like 2

It's not worked out for him when he's placed out wide. He's clearly not to be relied on to chase lost causes when we're holding onto a lead.

I'd like to think he's getting minutes because RM sees other players really tire, or knows he might have to rely on him should we get injuries up front. Even trying to rotate the squad as best he can with the fixture list, knowing the recovery each player has to have. 

But it does seem that he feels obligated to use all the subs, even when the game in front of him doesn't need it, or they will weaken us.

If Che hadn't started he would have come on ahead of Mara. The same with Aribo, and if mobility scooters were allowed, Stewart would be ahead of him too, even injured.

If he is on, he can get into decent striker positions. Often, by that stage we've chucked a lead and are struggling to find any pattern to our play, which won;t have helped him.

That sub scared the shit out of me, we weren't cruising in the game and we needed a focal point up top to hold the ball and give us an outlet - so we brought on Mara.

I have no problem putting him on when we're 3-0 or 4-0 up, but not when we are in a tight game as he will hinder us.

Hope we get a French club offering us something for him in the summer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Shouldn’t be in a match day squad ever again.

I said months ago was a lazy so and so he was. He brings absolutely nothing to the team other than severe anxiety.

I feel sorry for the likes of Dibling and SAA watching this guy get minutes on the pitch. They should both be way, way, ahead of him.

• Like 5

Starting to piss me off. He shows glimpses, but just doesn't do enough. I know he's young, but I find it annoying now.

I do think there's a player there. Maybe he'll be a late bloomer?

His mum's fucking fit though. Id late bloom her.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

I feel sorry for the likes of Dibling and SAA watching this guy get minutes on the pitch. They should both be way, way, ahead of him.

They play different positions and are completely different players to him but sure. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

That sub scared the shit out of me, we weren't cruising in the game and we needed a focal point up top to hold the ball and give us an outlet - so we brought on Mara.

I have no problem putting him on when we're 3-0 or 4-0 up, but not when we are in a tight game as he will hinder us.

Maybe we can give him to Valenciennes? 

39 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

They play different positions and are completely different players to him but sure. 

Mara came on and played right midfield, the same position SAA and Tibling play.

So, sure.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Mara came on and played right midfield, the same position SAA and Tibling play.

So, sure.

For a specific reason that neither of them would have been able to provide.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Fabrice29 said:

For a specific reason that neither of them would have been able to provide.

Can you explain what specific reason Mara was brought onto the pitch for? As he didn't seem to provide anything to helped us.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

garlic.........................................................................................................................

9 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Can you explain what specific reason Mara was brought onto the pitch for? As he didn't seem to provide anything to helped us.

On 10/04/2024 at 15:54, Fabrice29 said:

I thought it was obvious this was to deal with the set pieces/physical threat they were having without messing up the set up? 

As above. Also this was echoed by Martin yesterday in his press conference. And, most pertinently, it was quite obvious that was the reason at the time by anyone watching the game I would have thought. 

• Haha 1

What, when did that happen?  I watched the whole thing and don't remember it at all. 

The people celebrating this are a bit odd. He's scored 3 goals and got 2 assists in 487 minutes of game time this season, and is only 21 still. Anyone who's happy he won't be on the bench - who do you think steps in that provides a better option?

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

What, when did that happen?  I watched the whole thing and don't remember it at all. 

The people celebrating this are a bit odd. He's scored 3 goals and got 2 assists in 487 minutes of game time this season, and is only 21 still. Anyone who's happy he won't be on the bench - who do you think steps in that provides a better option?

Jack Stephens 

• Haha 4

42 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I get really nervous when we bring him on in a game that's still on the edge, as when we're up against it he's a non-entity. His showing against Cov was one of the worst I've seen, and I've seen Charlie Austin.

If he ran around, made his presence felt, tracked, then we could forgive him for his many technical shortcomings - but when he doesn't do any of the 'basics' it's hard to be too downhearted that he'll be missing.

38 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I believe it happened right at the end just before the 3rd goal went in. The Watford manager and players were complaining about it post match saying there should have been a red card and that Downes handled the ball, so were doubly incensed. Can't say I saw exactly what happened but a Watford player was flat out in the pen area.

Some of our so called supporters are more than a bit odd, Mara hasn't been great recently but he was brought on to do a job (at set pieces, defensively) and we won the game after he came on so who is to say that was a mistake. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

We could put on Sully or Edozie, we could put another in midfield or another centre half and shore it up we don’t have to play 4-3-3

The people who are slating Mara are idiots..... the lad is young still learning trade. 

Previously we have seen glimpses of what he is capable of. Said it before and will say it again technically is one of our better players. 

• Like 3