Sekou Mara

SuperSAINT

54 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

The people celebrating this are a bit odd. He's scored 3 goals and got 2 assists in 487 minutes of game time this season, and is only 21 still. Anyone who's happy he won't be on the bench - who do you think steps in that provides a better option?

Seriously? Two of those goals were tap ins and if memory serves we were 3 or 4 up at the times he scored.

If you saw that pathetic appearence against Coventry last Tuesday you wouldnt be saying that.....and if you did have a word with yourself, he was a bloody disgrace 

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

I believe it happened right at the end just before the 3rd goal went in. The Watford manager and players were complaining about it post match saying there should have been a red card and that Downes handled the ball, so were doubly incensed. Can't say I saw exactly what happened but a Watford player was flat out in the pen area.

Some of our so called supporters are more than a bit odd, Mara hasn't been great recently but he was brought on to do a job (at set pieces, defensively) and we won the game after he came on so who is to say that was a mistake. 

I saw the back end of it, from down the other end of the pitch - only in as much as there appeared to be a coming together, followed by what I thought was Mara wrestling (throwing?) their player to the ground.  He was a big lad who I suspect went down very easily and so it will be interesting to understand what footage is available that shows what really happened.   I'm not sure what triggered the flare-up, but at the time I was thinking - wow, he's certainly fighting a lot more than in the Cov match....

It was immediately after Fraser's off-side goal. Whilst some of our players were busy complaining about the off-side to the ref and lino, Porteous was trying to re-start the game with a quick free kick, as several of our players out of position and not paying attention. 

Mara saw this and "brushed passed" Porteous (ahem, perhaps there may have been an elbow to the body or suchlike).  Porteous went down like a sack of spuds and the quick free kick was thwarted.  Their goalie, who'd seen it all then started having a tantrum like a toddler who'd been told he wasn't allowed any more ice cream, cos the ref and lino weren't looking.

• Haha 1

I saw it from the Northam. Mara is an absolute idiot and I’m not the least bit surprised he’s got a ban for it, he was lucky the ref didn’t spot it at the time as it looked like a certain red from where I was.

3 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Mara is an absolute idiot and I’m not the least bit surprised he’s got a ban for it, 

Has he been banned?

As I saw it, Porteous was hanging on to Mara and shoving him as they jogged along, Mara responded with a weak smack/push in the back.

The defender went down dramatically as if assaulted with a baseball bat, the keeper, who himself recovered from the career-ending injury in the same match, ran around trying to get a red card for Mara.

The defender then got up because his play-acting hadn't worked - and perhaps realising that simulation when you are already on a yellow is asking for trouble.

It looked like handbags to me.

• Like 2

I saw it similarly, although wasn't close, thought it was a bit of a nothing tussle then Mara shoved him to the ground. At the time I thought it was free kick level, not even booking level. Their player seemed to make a meal of it once he lost his balance.

However, there could have easily been a punch / elbow I didn't see.

I guess there was more to it than I saw if RM is expecting a ban.

Edited by West end Saints

1 minute ago, West end Saints said:

I saw it similarly, although wasn't close, thought it was a bit of a nothing tussle then Mara shoved him to the ground. At the time I thought it was free kick level, not even booking level. Their player seemed to make a meal of it once he lost his balance.

However, there could have easily been a punch / elbow I didn't see.

I guess there was more to it than I saw if RM is expecting a ban.

I know he's not likely to start etc, but surely if there was a case to answer, this should be sorted out way before we are due to play. Telling a club that a player is banned on the same evening as a match is a bit shit. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, beatlesaint said:

Seriously? Two of those goals were tap ins and if memory serves we were 3 or 4 up at the times he scored.

If you saw that pathetic appearence against Coventry last Tuesday you wouldnt be saying that.....and if you did have a word with yourself, he was a bloody disgrace 

Young player in having bad game shocker. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Young player in having bad game shocker. 

The 'young player' stuff being thrown around doesn't really float for me. At 21 in football terms he's not really young, plenty of players aged 20-21 have played and are playing to a high level. Tino, Lavia, Shaw, Bale, Theo, Ox, Palmer, Bellingham to name just a few. Even Edozie has given us more than Mara and he's the same age.

He's not had an enormous amount of minutes, granted - so that is an argument to have for sure, but my assumption on that is that he's simply not showing enough to be considered good enough to play. 

He may make a career for himself but I don't see it being at a high level, he could end up going to a lower French side I reckon. Sometimes it just becomes obvious that a certain player is simply not going to make the grade.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ally_uk said:

The people who are slating Mara are idiots..... the lad is young still learning trade. 

Previously we have seen glimpses of what he is capable of. Said it before and will say it again technically is one of our better players. 

He’s fucking shite, and one of the laziest players I’ve seen in a Saints shirt.

4 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

I don't think he's fucking shite, because he clearly has ability. But I completely agree with the second part. That 'performance' against Coventry last week was unforgiveable in terms of effort.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

The difference in standards you hold Bazunu and Mara to is really quite remarkable.

If Bazunu was number 2 playing cup games learning his trade I'd be over the moon with him. 

If Mara was our first choice striker and our main source of goals I wouldn't be particularly happy. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

If Bazunu was number 2 playing cup games learning his trade I'd be over the moon with him. 

If Mara was our first choice striker and our main source of goals I wouldn't be particularly happy. 

In other words one of them is good enough to start every game and the other has never looked like getting a start ahead of the thoroughly mediocre Che Adams.

• Haha 3

There's probably a player in there, but it's not worked out here. Time to cut our losses in the Summer and hope we can get some money off the fact he's still a France U21 international

He's looked okay off the bench a few times but never grabbed an opportunity from the start. The last couple of sub appearances have been shambolic and the biggest indictment is that I saw he was suspended for 3 games and legitimately believed it to be a good thing

Hope he succeeds back in France, but this season should be it for him in Southampton. Had ample opportunity to break into the team and he still legitimately looks lightyears behind Che Adams in terms of his all-round play

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, trousers said:

How on earth is that worthy of a 3 match ban? The defender grabs hold of him and Mara tries to swipe him off... 

That's not violent conduct for me. Not worthy a 3 match ban. That said, he doesn't deserve any more game time so quite happy that RM has to look to others. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

What, when did that happen?  I watched the whole thing and don't remember it at all. 

The people celebrating this are a bit odd. He's scored 3 goals and got 2 assists in 487 minutes of game time this season, and is only 21 still. Anyone who's happy he won't be on the bench - who do you think steps in that provides a better option?

What about Rothwell? He's got a good shot, and is a bit too lightweight for the midfield when we're tiring at the end, but is still a reasonable height. 

I'd rather throw on Dibling - at least we know he'd run his heart out

1 hour ago, trousers said:

How on earth is that worthy of a 3 match ban? The defender grabs hold of him and Mara tries to swipe him off... 

Never a red, can't understand that. 

1 hour ago, trousers said:

Player grabs players arm. Player spins round. Player falls over. Nothing to see here

It looked like a much harder swing from behind the goal, the FA will have seen more angles than just that. Regardless of the dubious amount of pain the defender was actually in, the intent was certainly there. Why do it? Just brainless.

First bit of fight this waste of space has shown in 18 months and even that was pathetic. Any chance we can ask the EFL to extend the ban?

• Like 4

11 hours ago, ally_uk said:

The people who are slating Mara are idiots..... the lad is young still learning trade. 

Previously we have seen glimpses of what he is capable of. Said it before and will say it again technically is one of our better players. 

Two years and there has been little to no progress. We spent £12m on a footballer who can’t even manage a jog, appears lazy and uninterested and can’t make any form of impact.

If he was good enough to have an impact he’d be playing weekly.

The fact he wasn’t that in the Premier League and he hasn’t changed in the Championship screams volumes.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ally_uk said:

This used to get posted with regularity on the Sofiane Boufal thread. I’ll be amazed if Mara turns into anything decent in English football.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

This used to get posted with regularity on the Sofiane Boufal thread. I’ll be amazed if Mara turns into anything decent in English football.

And Boufal was better than Mara.

Time to get rid. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Boufal was a year older than Mara is now when he signed for us and left at 26 years old. Mara legitimately is still a young player. 

19 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

In other words one of them is good enough to start every game and the other has never looked like getting a start ahead of the thoroughly mediocre Che Adams.

A "thoroughly mediocre" Che Adams who has now scored 15 league goals making him joint 5th top scorer in the divison. Can we please have some more "mediocre" players like this.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, waylander said:

A "thoroughly mediocre" Che Adams who has now scored 15 league goals making him joint 5th top scorer in the divison. Can we please have some more "mediocre" players like this.

Also has the third best minutes to goals ratio from what I could see too, would be top scorer for Leicester and Ipswich, and two away from being Leeds’. Not bad for someone so mediocre.

• Like 4

On 16/04/2024 at 17:53, Lighthouse said:

While I agree with you, currently window watch Che is Mbappe/Haaland and Messi rolled into 1 so please do not remind him he's been shit most of the season

Sometimes I despair, this forum is not the real world, thank god ;-)

I get its a release valve for some but imagine if you started work in your first year in sales and your boss, the shareholders reviewed you and expected you to be as good as the salesman that has been there 10yrs but we still have another thread slagging him off.

Everyone expects our players to be perfect every time including all young players charles, baz, edozie, sully etc but we also have a thread slagging off our captain, manager, owners etc and our main centre forward only scores near transfer windows.

Baddie GIF by Giphy QA

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Sometimes I despair, this forum is not the real world, thank god 😉

I get its a release valve for some but imagine if you started work in your first year in sales and your boss, the shareholders reviewed you and expected you to be as good as the salesman that has been there 10yrs but we still have another thread slagging him off.

Everyone expects our players to be perfect every time including all young players charles, baz, edozie, sully etc but we also have a thread slagging off our captain, manager, owners etc and our main centre forward only scores near transfer windows.

Baddie GIF by Giphy QA

We're better than the real world. Look at how egalitarian we are. Everyone gets a slagging off thread. We're desperate for everyone to be brilliant, that we need a release for when obviously can't be.

Are we the baddies? No! We are...

🙂

• Haha 1

On 16/04/2024 at 19:05, Patches O Houlihan said:

What about Rothwell? He's got a good shot, and is a bit too lightweight for the midfield when we're tiring at the end, but is still a reasonable height. 

I'd rather throw on Dibling - at least we know he'd run his heart out

" too lightweight ? ".....as  I see it he's got more height and bulk than anyone else in midfield and still has a bit of pace. 

Dibling is a very promising youngster (who I'd like to see get the minutes instead of Mara) , but still looks like "a 10 stone weakling". Has time to grow.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, david in sweden said:

" too lightweight ? ".....as  I see it he's got more height and bulk than anyone else in midfield and still has a bit of pace. 

Dibling is a very promising youngster (who I'd like to see get the minutes instead of Mara) , but still looks like "a 10 stone weakling". Has time to grow.

To be fair I haven’t watched Rothwell live, on the pitch. Just my impression is that we loose some midfield resilience when he comes on, which is ok if we are still dominating the game. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/04/2024 at 14:31, bpsaint said:

On 16/04/2024 at 14:37, Sheaf Saint said:

I don't think he's fucking shite, because he clearly has ability. But I completely agree with the second part. That 'performance' against Coventry last week was unforgiveable in terms of effort.

Nope, he’s definitely shite.

These Man City transfers want investigating, so much mediocre rubbish for so much money.

EDIT: I thought he came from City. 

Edited by bpsaint