Sekou Mara

SuperSAINT

52 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

And why are Newcastle the baddy's for waiting for the club to go bust so they can secure a better deal? Obviously it hasn't worked on this occasion but there's no room for morals and ethics when it comes to business.

Don't worry they will probably move on shaktar donestk next and then the Russian teams when they can't pay their players.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Behind Enemy Lines said:

I only saw the picture and not the text. 

2 reg is private only too, same as M reg. 

I’m not sure where you’re getting your ideas from but CLF is ‘Clifton’, they’re a private jet company based in Bristol. There’s nothing unusual or illegal to see here, although whether it’s anything to do with Saints is just guess work. Why someone based in Bordeaux would be flying out of GRO I’ve no idea, they’re basically the breadth of the Pyrenees apart.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Yes of course, if you can then great but if you have the choice between spending £12 Million and being nice about it or acquiring that same asset for nothing but seeing a company fold, unfortunately, it has to be the latter.

Like I said, obviously it hasn't worked (if it's true) but I don't harbour any ill feelings toward them for trying it.

They're owned by a state, I find it paritculary sour that they were looking to scavage on a dead carcass when they could have easily met the going rate.

• Like 8

32 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I wonder if Sport Republic have bought a share into Bordeaux as well. 
Broaden the portfolio. 😅

They’d be a good purchase for somebody. It’s why they were brought to the attention of daGrosa in the first place. Decent history and fan base, big stadium, have historically done well in a league that, outside of PSG, doesn’t have huge competition for European qualification.

Edited by The Kraken

3 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

I am underwhelmed by this signing.

This isn't aimed at you but we could have signed N'Bappe on a free and PSG pay us £1 Million per month to have him and then spend whatever we have spare finding the cure for cancer and our fans would still find something to moan about.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

6 hours ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

This seems like a huge gamble. I hope he's an instant success but the Premiership is very different to playing for bottom of the table, Bordeaux.

Surely, he's of a similar level / standard as 23 year old, Dan N'Lundulu, so if we're buying Mara, why are we not giving a Dan chance in the first team? 

in defense of his association with a bottom table Ligue 1 team...

• Bordeaux's issue last season was defensive... gave up a whopping 92 goals. And, actually they were 9th in the league in goals for.
  • He was the 3rd top scorer for the club with only 900 minutes.

i am a glass half full kind of guy 🙂

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SaintTex said:

in defense of his association with a bottom table Ligue 1 team...

• Bordeaux's issue last season was defensive... gave up a whopping 92 goals. And, actually they were 9th in the league in goals for.
  • He was the 3rd top scorer for the club with only 900 minutes.

i am a glass half full kind of guy 🙂

Why did he only play 900 minutes? 

2 minutes ago, Dellman said:

Bordeaux often played with 1 striker and Ui-jo Hwang started most games for them and is a pretty good Ligue 1 striker (we were linked to him last year). When Mara started though, he scored (6 in 8 starts). 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dellman said:

You would imagine it was because he was only 18/19 and breaking in to a team that, it sounds like, weren’t struggling for goals.

With our transfer policy as it is, buy young players to improve, this guy looks good.  French U21, top scorer at a prestigious international youth tournament and played and scored in a top 5 league.

When buying young players, his looks a decent CV.

Wouldn’t mind seeing one more come in with a bit more experience, with a little bit more of a proven track record. Trouble is the price for that is so high, probably too high for us.

Edited by wooley7
Poor gramma

2 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

This isn't aimed at you but we could have signed N'Bappe on a free and PSG pay us £1 Million per month to have him and then spend whatever we have spare finding the cure for cancer and our fans would still find something to moan about.

.. all very well and good but what about the catering in the concourse ?

9 hours ago, spyinthesky said:

As a kid I remember Saints playing a friendly at the Dell against Girondins as they were called then and generally they have been a decent club until the American guy who was once linked to us became involved.
However I always thought Saints should have an arrangement with Le Havre as they have generally been a 2nd Level French club but have brought through a lot of good youngsters.
I also once played at their old ground!! 

Already twinned with Southampton as well (or used to be).

1 minute ago, beatlesaint said:

I suspect Saints aren’t very happy Bordeaux let the cat out of the bag. I can’t remember when they last, If ever, made an “in principal” announcement 

I'm presuming we've announced it in principle to help their situation as it would sound like they are have very little time to prove liquidity to function.  Well played Saints. 

• Like 8

Just now, Bad Wolf said:

I'm wondering if they've asked us to publicly announce it as a way of saying to anyone they owe money to "Look, we've got some money coming, give us a few days"

I did wonder that, you often get the selling clubs announcing things in principle to appease the stock exchange/shareholders and all those regulations, so there is often a financial slant to it.

It's a shame they're in such a mess, they're a massive club.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Sekou Mara - Official: "Agreement in Pinciple"

"I spoke to a couple of people at the club at the beginning of the summer and asked them what the remit was for the window. Historically, Southampton don't spend a lot of money, but they said to me this would be the 'transformation summer'.

"They told me a number of people would be leaving the club and a number of new faces would be coming in. Straightaway, Ralph Hasenhuttl reshaped his backroom team as four or five coaching staff and he replaced them.

"They've now reshaped the squad with young, talented, raw players with a lot of potential. The latest player to be on their radar is the 19-year-old Bordeaux striker Sekou Mara.

"We had confirmation from Bordeaux on their social media channels that they had agreed a fee with Southampton for a player who scored five goals in his last seven league games for Bordeaux despite their relegation from Ligue 1.

"Financially, Bordeaux are in a really tough situation at the moment and the player is said to have left the club because he knew the money his move would generate would save the club in the short term. 

"Southampton have a really talented youngster who has been watched by a number of Premier League sides for not a huge fee.

"It's precisely what Hasenhuttl wants to do - bring in young players and develop them. This is a really significant signing for Southampton, their sixth of the summer with over £50m already spent."

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

I suspect Saints aren’t very happy Bordeaux let the cat out of the bag. I can’t remember when they last, If ever, made an “in principal” announcement 

Disagree. Bdx had to do it for their hearing today, and no way of getting around that on their side. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ecurnew02 said:

Bordeaux often played with 1 striker and Ui-jo Hwang started most games for them and is a pretty good Ligue 1 striker (we were linked to him last year). When Mara started though, he scored (6 in 8 starts). 

Who supposedly has an offer from West Ham.

Also I know some people run for the hills when XG is mentioned but IIRC he had an XG of around 5.6 and scored 6 goals, which generally means he took the limited amount of chances he got. (and obviously an under performing side will not create a huge amount) 

6 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

And why are Newcastle the baddy's for waiting for the club to go bust so they can secure a better deal? Obviously it hasn't worked on this occasion but there's no room for morals and ethics when it comes to business.

Morals, ethics and Newcastle all in the same sentence...!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Seems promising, looks to be a Che type player to me. Still reckon two more players coming in, another striker and another no10.

When do we start selling then?

Soon as someone wants to buy, so I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you! Think Saints may have to give some away with cheap buy back clauses if they suddenly transform into PL players. Kind of a reverse psychology\money ball strategy, instead of buy young, develop, sell on for profit. More of a sell older, admit defeat, take a loss strategy.

Mara seems to be the real deal, although it will be interesting to see how he copes with the higher pace and physicality of the Prem. May find he needs to bulk up a bit to cope with the CB’s he’ll be facing.  Can see him being a target for some heavy tackles and potential injuries, but on the bright side he might provide free kicks around the box for JWP. Where will he start…a Che replacement or as a no.10?

26 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Mara seems to be the real deal, although it will be interesting to see how he copes with the higher pace and physicality of the Prem. May find he needs to bulk up a bit to cope with the CB’s he’ll be facing.  Can see him being a target for some heavy tackles and potential injuries, but on the bright side he might provide free kicks around the box for JWP. Where will he start…a Che replacement or as a no.10?

I see him as Long replacement 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tank said:

6 goals in 26 games.

Look beyond the number of games as that isn't a true reflection.

6 goals in only 898 minutes of football is pretty impressive. Especially as many of those minutes are in short spells at the end of games for a relegated team.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Look beyond the number of games as that isn't a true reflection.

6 goals in only 898 minutes of football is pretty impressive.

That's nowhere near as good as Carillo's 11 in 998! 🤯

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer
  • Like 1

I remember the days when we signed Carillo and our geniuses on here insisted that if you exclude all these points he actually had a goal scoring record of a goal every other game. I see the same methodology is at play here 🤣

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I remember the days when we signed Carillo and our geniuses on here insisted that if you exclude all these points he actually had a goal scoring record of a goal every other game. I see the same methodology is at play here 🤣

Yet again you are taking my post out of the context of what it was a reply to and viewing it in isolation. My post was a reply to Tank saying '6 goals in 26 games'. 26 games of football = 2,340+ minutes, but he actually played under 900 minutes, so using '26 games' isn't the best reflection of what he did.

Edited by Matthew Le God

4 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Yet again you are taking my post out of the context of what it was a reply to and viewing it in isolation. My post was a reply to Tank saying '6 goals in 26 games'. 26 games of football = 2,340+ minutes, but he actually played under 900 minutes, so using '26 games' isn't the best reflection of what he did.

i didn't quote you so why did you think i was replying to you? How arrogant!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Tank said:

6 goals in 26 games.

Alternatively he has scored 10 goals in his last 12 appearances. 5 in the last 7 games of the season for Bordeaux and 5 in 5 for France at the toulon tournament last month. Maybe he just took a while to get going? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

i didn't quote you so why did you think i was replying to you? How arrogant!

Because your post saying...

"I remember the days when we signed Carillo and our geniuses on here insisted that if you exclude all these points he actually had a goal scoring record of a goal every other game. I see the same methodology is at play here 🤣"

...came shortly after my post pointing out the issue in using 26 games, 6 goals for Mara. So if you weren't talking about me, who were you talking about? The conversation previously was a different topic.

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

Because your post saying...

"I remember the days when we signed Carillo and our geniuses on here insisted that if you exclude all these points he actually had a goal scoring record of a goal every other game. I see the same methodology is at play here 🤣"

...came shortly after my post pointing out the issue in using 26 games, 6 goals for Mara. So if you weren't talking about me, who were you talking about? The conversation previously was a different topic.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Sekou Mara