Sekou Mara

SuperSAINT

17 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I like him, something about him and really like the reports of why he wanted to join us rather than other clubs. Welcome young man. I'm sure Soggy will annoyed that i've given this signing my personal seal of approval.

Would you go as far as saying it is an insane signing?

All sounds good, I know Adams said he wanted to win the Premier League here when he signed, but it's unusual for a Southampton signing to say they want to become one of the best footballers and win lots of trophies, which won't necessarily be here, but it's exciting to be a part of the journey.

I've commented on us picking up players cheaply because they've ran their contract down this summer. But, Mara signed a new long-term contract at Bordeaux in March, we only picked him up for a reduced fee because of Bordeaux's financial woes and from reports he's been wanting to move to a club who would give Bordeaux a fair fee this summer. So, from a character point of view it's looking hopeful that we'll get good money for him if he does fulfil his promise.

• Like 5

• Lighthouse changed the title to Sekou Mara - Official: Signs Four Year contract
24 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

All sounds good, I know Adams said he wanted to win the Premier League here when he signed, but it's unusual for a Southampton signing to say they want to become one of the best footballers and win lots of trophies, which won't necessarily be here, but it's exciting to be a part of the journey.

I've commented on us picking up players cheaply because they've ran their contract down this summer. But, Mara signed a new long-term contract at Bordeaux in March, we only picked him up for a reduced fee because of Bordeaux's financial woes and from reports he's been wanting to move to a club who would give Bordeaux a fair fee this summer. So, from a character point of view it's looking hopeful that we'll get good money for him if he does fulfil his promise.

I think that is the differential these days when the technical ability is similar with the players Saints are looking at. Great attitude to have and there was plenty of camaraderie with his teammates at the recent Toulon tournament as well. This lad will go far.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, VectisSaint said:

Ralph: "He is a young guy who will need time to adapt to a new country and a new league, but we are excited about his potential and what he can become in the future". So should we look to see him around Christmas time?

The Salisu press being employed early by Ralph!

• Haha 1

Welcome Sekou.  I know nothing of him bar what I read and you can 'Carrillo' up his stats as much as you like but I just hope he does it on the pitch and he sounds confident. If we are bidding on Delap then it does seem very much like we are relying on youth to do the biz this season. I'm not completely comfortable with it but at least we're trying something rather than sitting on what we had for another season. We're getting the positions right too, I wanted the spine strengthened and we've done that in every position. Another striker, AM and RB/LB needed, and if room another CB and CM but for those we need to ship out a couple. I look forward to our first Carabao cup game when we can try out some different players.

14 minutes ago, CamSaint said:

Anyone know how long it takes to get 'international clearance'? In other words, any chance he could be included in the squad for tomorrow's match?

I think he can still play in friendlies can't he? International clearance just refers to competitive games.

One assumes the club have had some kind of informal "it'll be ok" heads-up from the powers that be at 'International Clearance' HQ? I could be wrong but isn't it quite unusual for us to announce signings before all the i's are dotted and t's crossed?

8 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Welcome Sekou and more importantly I'd like to welcome our first club milf Audrey, she's giving me stiflers mum vibes.

Screenshot 2022-07-26 at 07.20.24.png

Audrey give us a wave, Audrey, Audrey give us a wave... [nothing more uncouth please chaps] :)

Like the look of Mare...and the way the club are going about their business. Looks like we have targets and limits and aren't afraid to move quickly when either an obstacle (Liam Delap) or an opportunity (Mare) arises. Would love to see us bring in another striker and attacking midfielder given the game is all about scoring goals and we weren't very good at that last season.

On 26/07/2022 at 19:38, Vancouver Saint said:

Like the look of Mare...and the way the club are going about their business. Looks like we have targets and limits and aren't afraid to move quickly when either an obstacle (Liam Delap) or an opportunity (Mare) arises. Would love to see us bring in another striker and attacking midfielder given the game is all about scoring goals and we weren't very good at that last season.

Let's hope 'Mare' doesn't have one tomorrow.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Going for 18mins before he is slagged off in the match thread against Villarreal tomorrow 😅

One of the reasons I stopped doing match day threads a long time ago, was the ridiculous criticism and pessimism from contributors on them. Probably from people who couldn't kick a football 5 yards. Sorry, 5 metres. All so predictable, too. If I hadn't seen the writer, I bet I could tell you who had written them within a couple of sentences.

You know who you are!

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Paul Chuckle said:

You know any chant will be

Do do do do Sekou Mara

Or 

Sekou Mara woooah, Sekou Mara wooooah

He comes from la France, he f*#king hates P*mpey

Sekou Mara, the one and only

they said his days were numbered if he stayed in France 

now he’s on the south coast and things Pompey are pants

• Haha 1

After a number of appeals process, and thanks in part to Saints signing Mara, Bordeaux were reinstated in League 2 on Tuesday.

Their first game is tonight, at home to Valencienes, and to celebrate, all tickets are free, and season ticket holders get a free drink in the Stade ( non alcoholic beer  due to French regs ).

Come watch Bordeaux v. Valenciennes - it's on us! | Girondins.com

• Like 5

Ralph’s comments about him after today.

“Sekou, like all the young new players coming to us, they have to get adapted to the intensity of our game so you can see immediately,” Hasenhuttl said.

“Last season with Broja it was the same, it took him minimum three/four weeks until he knew what it was about playing up front here.

“The game doesn’t start when you get the ball, the game starts when the opponent has it. This is the thing he has to learn but it is also not surprising because this is different.”

Hasenhuttl added: “He has some qualities on the ball but it’s not enough, he must work hard for the team and then we will see.”

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Sekou Mara