New song

franniesTache

A few of us have been moaning about our lack of songs and constant references to the blue few, but not really offering alternatives, so how about we try and get this going as an alternative?

Obviously might be beating a dead horse here but i genuinely think a re-work of Dock of the bay would be class, it's about the city, it's postiive, and everyone should know the tune (and at the very least the chorus).

Plus it'd be completely unique to us and give us a song other clubs can't nick

I left my home in Hampshire
Headed for the Western Bay
'Cause I've got something to live for
Love Southampton till my dying day.

So, I'm just gon' sit on the dock of the bay
Watchin' the tide roll away, ooh
I'm sittin' on the dock of the bay
Wastin' time

2,3,4 (and repeat)

https://x.com/Pugilist_fin/status/1742579808066748615?s=20

• Like 4

It’s good. But I feel these lyrics might resonate more with our fans. Plus it’s too slow to us. So How about 

wish Pompey would leave hampshire

wish the dirty skates would go away 

they’ve got nothing to live for

hate Pompey til my dying day 

So I’m just sitting on the dock of the bay

hating Pompey every day

sitting on the dock of the bay wasting time 

clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap 

• Haha 6

Can't we appoint Nigel Martyn as goalkeeping coach, then we can sing 

(Hands in air waving)

Russell Russell Russell Russell Russell Russell Russell Martin 

(Hands pointing towards the ground) 

Nigel Nigel Nigel Nigel Nigel Nigel Nigel Martyn

repeat 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Yorkshire Saint said:

Never gonna happen.. its to slow. 

Nice effort though. 

It's a shame our fans can't do slow songs. If Liverpool fans were the same, YNWA wouldn't be a thing.

5 hours ago, franniesTache said:

A few of us have been moaning about our lack of songs and constant references to the blue few, but not really offering alternatives, so how about we try and get this going as an alternative?

Obviously might be beating a dead horse here but i genuinely think a re-work of Dock of the bay would be class, it's about the city, it's postiive, and everyone should know the tune (and at the very least the chorus).

Wastin' time

2,3,4 (and repeat)

Print it off and get it spread around the ground.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Turkish said:

https://fb.watch/kKdCaACsPB/

we have to get this in

fuck off pompey you’re all peados

rest in peace Gary Speedo

genius 

Don't get this modern obsession with calling everyone a nonce. Some 'lad' at the Blackburn game in block 15 thought he was utterly hilarious cos he kept shouting "WESTWOOD'S NONCING TEN MORE KIDS"

Weird cunts.

Again, I think it's been floated before, but I'd like to put in a word for the chorus to Sailing.

We don't necessarily even need to change the words. Great anthem, which incidentally, I recently found out was not originally by Rod Stewart.

However, for the benefit of those who are capable of only vocalising along to the Rickie Lambert song instead of singing the actual words, I have taken the trouble to devise some alternative lyrics that are slightly easier to grasp. It goes like this:

Southampton, Southampton, Southampton, Southampton.

Southampton, Southampton, Southampton, Southampton.

I strongly recommend that you all absorb this and do your utmost to commit these lyrics to memory so it can be belted out at the weekend. Thanks

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Paul Chuckle said:

Can't we appoint Nigel Martyn as goalkeeping coach, then we can sing 

(Hands in air waving)

Russell Russell Russell Russell Russell Russell Russell Martin 

(Hands pointing towards the ground) 

Nigel Nigel Nigel Nigel Nigel Nigel Nigel Martyn

repeat 

4 minutes ago, Saint Marky said:

We do have Adam and Stuart Armstrong, so I’m surprised this hasn’t been used, well I can’t remember it at recent home games. 

Edited by Saint Marky
Edit

Yeah, suppose we don’t sing it cause it’s shit, a bit like ‘we’re the itchen over here…’but we really need to up our game, I did here a quiet rendition of the great Stuart Armstrong song, guess it’s a bit long and tricky for most to pick up, but his hair truly is fricking fine, but the belters are a bit less frequent now.

Edited by Saint Marky
Edit

I love the sitting on the dock of the bay idea....

Think lines 5-8 need to be made more footbally/Saintsy ideally. Maybe just one line?

Watchin' the Saints win all day
Wastin' time

I do wish we had a way to get decent songs started that are a bit longer and smarter than the really easy chants.

Given that we've been relegated but may well be about to go back up, I can't think of a better anthem than  Chumbawumba Tubthumping.  It's actually a drinking song, which may help for later, but we can literally just coopt the anthem part.

"Oh, Southampton... Southampton... Southampton.............    I GET KNOCKED DOWN, BUT I GET UP AGAIN. YOU'RE NEVER GONNA KEEP ME DOWN.  I GET KNOCKED DOWN, BUT I GET UP AGAIN. YOU'RE NEVER GONNA KEEP ME DOWN." 

I know from personal experience this is one of the best, most addictive, most singable, most inspiring anthems.   If another club as used it, I don't know of it, but that might just be me. 

Would also be great for those moments one of our players gets savagely hacked at.  A great way to cheer them back to their feet!  If you guys can get this going, I WILL COME BACK FROM AMERICA TO JOIN IN.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, SaintBobby said:

Think lines 5-8 need to be made more footbally/Saintsy ideally. Maybe just one line?

Wastin' time

I do wish we had a way to get decent songs started that are a bit longer and smarter than the really easy chants.

Sitting on dock of the bay is to slow and boring to be honest

Surely it is about time we  proclaimed our love for the Saints:

I would walk 500 miles.

And I would walk 500 more!

just to be the the fan who walked a 1000 miles to see Southampton score!

Da da da!  Da da da!  

Duh duh duh duh dub duh!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Switch "Victor Wanyama" for "Carlos Alcaraz" and you've got a chant that's simple enough and about the right tempo for us 😂

I thought Celtic were supposed to be good at creating songs - our Victor Wanyama 'he's a mighty Kenyan' was levels above this.

But saying that it would be a good fit with Charly Alacarz - although maybe something along the lines of the Artur Boruc's 'he's got his Charly, he's having a party' would work for Alcaraz:

We've got our Charlie

We are having a party!

Alcaraz!  Alcaraz!

Feel free to improve on this 🙂

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Some tried to start this a few years ago, remember hearing it at Sheff Utd away when Djenepo turned into Messi. 

I remember it being too slow and too repetitive and just a bit shit tbh, but by all means give it a go, 

Think is we need slow and repetitive, listen to our support and the million miles an hour stuff ends up sounding like a modern art experiment because none of the blocks are in the same time, plus nothing ever catches on ronud the ground anymore because everything goes to quick.

Also repetitive sounds amazing in a big group, think about United doing the United Calypso, that rolling song basically stops the other side making any noise at all.

9 hours ago, SaintBobby said:

Wastin' time

I don't think it needs to change, maybe an 'S' on the end of tide, given we're one of the few places in the world with two tides (which is why we became such an important dock) it seems fitting to reference it

1 hour ago, Saint86 said:

Southampton doesn't have a bay. It has the solent and fawley power station... maybe we can incorporate that 😅

Southampton has Western Bay, hence the reference to it in the song. The reclaimed land where Western Docks and West Quay sit was originally a bay, and was where the Mayflower sailed from (and also where the french landed for the sack of southampton in 1338) for once a song actually makes reference to our cities history and past ;) 

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, franniesTache said:

Think is we need slow and repetitive, listen to our support and the million miles an hour stuff ends up sounding like a modern art experiment because none of the blocks are in the same time, plus nothing ever catches on ronud the ground anymore because everything goes to quick

Also repetitive sounds amazing in a big group, think about United doing the United Calypso, that rolling song basically stops the other side making any noise at all.

This. Said it so many times in the past, but slow songs, and/or one with a sustained long note at some stage are the only ones that ever spread around a ground, simply because they can. As you say, it gives other blocks a chance to latch onto to the tune as well as understanmd the words to know where they are in the song when it first reaches them. OWTSGMI (slow) and We're by far the greatest team and the only two (plus COYR and Yellows which are hardly songs but they're slow) that ever seem to spread round the ground at SMS for that very reason.

Off the top of my head, just a few from random songs from other clubs, YNWA, Allez Allez, Bubbles, Delilah, Blaydon Races, too many to mention by ManUre away support, Marching on together,  PUP (sorry), Don't take me home.   All seem to spread around whatever grounds they are sung at because they are at a  speed where all parts of the ground can work out what is beein sung once they hear it and join in at the correct speed.

Ultra fast clappy songs are fine for a small section but they're never going to spread around the ground.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, franniesTache said:

Think is we need slow and repetitive, listen to our support and the million miles an hour stuff ends up sounding like a modern art experiment because none of the blocks are in the same time, plus nothing ever catches on ronud the ground anymore because everything goes to quick.

I don't think it needs to change, maybe an 'S' on the end of tide, given we're one of the few places in the world with two tides (which is why we became such an important dock) it seems fitting to reference it

Southampton has Western Bay, hence the reference to it in the song. The reclaimed land where Western Docks and West Quay sit was originally a bay, and was where the Mayflower sailed from (and also where the french landed for the sack of southampton in 1338) for once a song actually makes reference to our cities history and past ;) 

Perhaps a version of “two tribes” changing the words to two tides could be in order?

when two tides go to war

Pompeys got one we’ve got more

or

two tides in our dockyard

Youll Never sing that 

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, SaintBobby said:

Wastin' time

I'm really up for the Dock of the Bay idea with this mod.  And the terraces always speed up the slow songs anyway so I dont think its an issue.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rebel said:

I thought Celtic were supposed to be good at creating songs - our Victor Wanyama 'he's a mighty Kenyan' was levels above this.

But saying that it would be a good fit with Charly Alacarz - although maybe something along the lines of the Artur Boruc's 'he's got his Charly, he's having a party' would work for Alcaraz:

We've got our Charlie

We are having a party!

Alcaraz!  Alcaraz!

Feel free to improve on this 🙂

it was racist.

4 hours ago, Turkish said:

Perhaps a version of “two tribes” changing the words to two tides could be in order?

when two tides go to war

Pompeys got one we’ve got more

or

two tides in our dockyard

Youll Never sing that 

We did try "One tide, you've only got one tide" and "we've got more tides than you, we've got more tides than you" against Plymouth but no one else joined in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, franniesTache said:

We did try "One tide, you've only got one tide" and "we've got more tides than you, we've got more tides than you" against Plymouth but no one else joined in.

No good if we’re playing Ipswich.  Felixstowe has a much wider window for vessel movements than Southampton because of their tides and depth.

Just saying like.

On the left and on the right (Fratton Park is falling down)

Kyle Walker-peters is dynamite (John Westwood is a fucking clown)

Sign him up for 5 more years ( in league one for 10 more years)

Southampton boys are on the beers

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To the Sweet Caroline tune ( and I’ll retire to my bunker to await the incoming rocks 😳)

Where it began, was down to Russell Martin

And now we know it's growing strong

We didn’t believe

But time relieved our doubting 

Who'd have believed you'd prove us wrong

Goals, scoring goals 

Reaching out, touching me, touching you

Sweet Saints of mine

Good times never felt so good 

I've been inclined

To believe we never would

But now we 

Look at the points and it don't seem so lonely

We’re going to make it to the top 

And when I hurt

Hurting runs off my shoulders

How can I hurt when supporting you

Goals, scoring goals 

Reaching out, touching me, touching you

Sweet Saints of mine 

Good times never felt so good. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Paul Chuckle said:

"Phil Parsons Wooooah, Phil Parsons Wooooah, he comes from Man City, he farking hates Pompey"

He came from Dyson and has never worked north of Oxford, pal.

--------

E-I-E-I-E-I-O,

Phil Parsons is our CEO,

From Dyson to the Championship,

As part of Rasmus' power trip

(We hate Pompey)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, franniesTache said:

Blondies The tide is high?

The tide is high but I’m holding on

weve got two pompeys got one

pompeys got one

pompeys got one 

On 04/01/2024 at 16:22, franniesTache said:

Wastin' time

2,3,4 (and repeat)

I love it.

I'm not from Southampton and have never lived there (although grew up in an SO postcode) but I wish we had more songs about the city. Unlike a few cities like Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield, Bristol, even Stoke ffs, we are a one club city. The one thing that should unite the entire fanbase is the city, and a song about the city is something we need.

On 04/01/2024 at 22:10, sfc4prem said:

It's a shame our fans can't do slow songs. If Liverpool fans were the same, YNWA wouldn't be a thing.

This winds me up so much. The sha la la la song for example, the skates do it brilliantly. Sha la la la la *clap clap* sha la la la la la *clap clap*

In the stadium it sounds brilliant.

But our fans when we sing the WTFILN version just clap throughout and it drowns out the lyrics, meaning all you hear is just a cocophony of clapping. Noisy but pointless.

Forget pissing on Pompey.  Small. Boring.   We have bigger fish to fry.

This is the only video on the Internet of football fans singing Tubthumping. Even when they don't the words, they love it. We're missing gold here!  

28 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

This winds me up so much. The sha la la la song for example, the skates do it brilliantly. Sha la la la la *clap clap* sha la la la la la *clap clap*

In the stadium it sounds brilliant.

But our fans when we sing the WTFILN version just clap throughout and it drowns out the lyrics, meaning all you hear is just a cocophony of clapping. Noisy but pointless.

I just imagine their hands as bloody stumps by the end of the game