Rudi

paulwantsapint

I highly doubt he'll just select him straight away.

It would be down to Rudi to get his head sorted and start playing the sort of football that merits a place in our starting 11.

Just because he's on high wages, doesn't mean he should be an automatic choice in the team.

When fit again after injury I would estimate his pre season will never be completed until xmas time, if ever. Without this commitment he will always be a really talented player who has never attained a reasonable level of fitness. As a supporter of this lad I feel he has let us and himself down big time.

I really don't rate him and would rather see us using younger players.

What did he contribute last season??

What would you like from a midfielder playing half a season at LB?

Anyway, he did score a crucial goal when we beat West Brom, so we would have been 2 points worse off without him. Mind you, 2 points off our final points tally wouldn't have mattered. It's not as if we'd have been releg... oh... :|

He can't really be that ****, he was class at Hearts and Championship football standard must be below that. He needs a JP cuddle and made an important part the team and we will be thanking a lucky stars he stayed.

michael ricketts was class in the prem for a season too....

I guess is was a purple patch

Skacel and Sagnowski CAN be good players. IMO its not their ability thats in doubt but their mentality. They go off the boil too easily and produce little for weeks on end - and we cant afford that kind of inconsistency.

You might work on that with a young developing player on low wages, but if its still happening to players earning £8,000pw plus in their late 20s its time to let them go.

Skacel and Sagnowski CAN be good players. IMO its not their ability thats in doubt but their mentality. They go off the boil too easily and produce little for weeks on end - and we cant afford that kind of inconsistency.

You might work on that with a young developing player on low wages, but if its still happening to players earning £8,000pw plus in their late 20s its time to let them go.

I am still trying to figure out when exactly Skacel is supposed to have performed badly.

In the playoff season he was our joint midfield goalscorer with 4. I don't think any midfielder has scored more than that for Saints since MLT in the late '90s. He was also second only to Bale in the assists chart. Not my favourite statistic as it can be misleading, but he did provide a lot of creativity that season.

Last season at LB he was also pretty solid. The only poor performance I can remember was Colchester at home, when he had just come back from injury and was clearly unfit.

Yes I know Stamina was far from his strong point, but how many box to box for 90 minutes, creative genius's do you find in the CCC? Different players have different strenghts. Viafara, probably on similar wages, couldn't pass water, but I don't see many comments about him underperforming that year.

I am still trying to figure out when exactly Skacel is supposed to have performed badly.

In the playoff season he was our joint midfield goalscorer with 4. I don't think any midfielder has scored more than that for Saints since MLT in the late '90s. He was also second only to Bale in the assists chart. Not my favourite statistic as it can be misleading, but he did provide a lot of creativity that season.

Last season at LB he was also pretty solid. The only poor performance I can remember was Colchester at home, when he had just come back from injury and was clearly unfit.

Yes I know Stamina was far from his strong point, but how many box to box for 90 minutes, creative genius's do you find in the CCC? Different players have different strenghts. Viafara, probably on similar wages, couldn't pass water, but I don't see many comments about him underperforming that year.

I agree with much of what you say. My only concern is that JP's style is a high energy, highly mobile approach and that does not really describe Rudi. But, if he is not sold then I believe there is still a role for him - if he wants to adapt.

On yesterday's showing, his only chance of getting a game is if/when someone in a similar position gets an injury. I'm not convinced his style of play is suited to the new team ethos.

Fast passing with creative, attacking midfielders moving forward to join the attack?

Of all the old school players we had last season, I'd have said he was best suited to the new style of play. I guess we will find out if he stays and gets selected. Hopefully he will get to show off his skill in midfield again, although having read reports on the likes of Holmes and Lallana, compared to Surman, I think LB looks more likely.

I don't agree that we should play him because we are paying him. I believe the best man for the job gets it and those who perform the best and most consistently get in the team. Doesn't matter if they are paid the most or not.

If Skacel is still here, we are still paying him whether or not he plays. So financially, it makes no difference whether he plays or not.

If he proves himself worthy of replacing somebody in the current lineup, he should play. If he does not, he should not play.

If Skacel is still here on Sept 2 and can get fit, the thought of him and Holmes down the left would be excellent and make right-sided players at other CCC clubs very worried. Surman isn't a LB but wouldn't get into a midfield berth at the moment the way Gillett, Morgan S and Holmes are playing.

Can we actually afford Skacel's appearance fee? People seem to forget that part of the reason we are so skint and not playing the high earning players is not only the wages, but the appearance fees we have to pay them (and in the cases of Saga, Rasiak, probable goal bonuses). Skacel is actually one of my favourite players and I thought he and Surman had a good understanding down the left when they were together. I'm still not totally convinced about Lee Holmes either but not 100% sure we can afford Skacel. I've no doubt he could play somewhere in this formation, either LB, LW or behind the striker but I'd be surprised if we see him unless their is an injury.

I don't agree that we should play him because we are paying him. I believe the best man for the job gets it and those who perform the best and most consistently get in the team. Doesn't matter if they are paid the most or not.

If Skacel is still here, we are still paying him whether or not he plays. So financially, it makes no difference whether he plays or not.

If he proves himself worthy of replacing somebody in the current lineup, he should play. If he does not, he should not play.

Perfect sense.

Absolutely right! If he is not good enough to play, send him down to clean the toilets instead. That should encourage him to train harder!!:):):)

The argument is slightly different in that whilst we are paying him he should be considered along with everyone else, given the chance like every other player to prove he is the best person for the job.

The only reason to completely ignore him is because the club want to sell him so there is no point him being involved as it will only effect the team when he goes etc etc.

Now when the transfer window closes this ceases to be the position, so he should then train with the squad and try and break into the side. With a little cuddle and a nudge in the right direction he could be a benefit to this side.

Can we actually afford Skacel's appearance fee? People seem to forget that part of the reason we are so skint and not playing the high earning players is not only the wages, but the appearance fees we have to pay them (and in the cases of Saga, Rasiak, probable goal bonuses). ..........

I wasn't aware of this, were others? If this is true, it is a very good reason, not only to see Rudi move on, but also not to play him at all. This may be why he couldn't agree wages with Ipswich as the loss of bonus' makes the pay drop even bigger.

Anyone know how long Rudi has on his contract? Could the club let him sit it out in the stands if he refuses to reduce his wage demands?

I wasn't aware of this, were others? If this is true, it is a very good reason, not only to see Rudi move on, but also not to play him at all. This may be why he couldn't agree wages with Ipswich as the loss of bonus' makes the pay drop even bigger.

Anyone know how long Rudi has on his contract? Could the club let him sit it out in the stands if he refuses to reduce his wage demands?

No one knows if he has an appearance fee as part of his contract or if he does have one how high it is.

I'd of thought there was little chance of getting him to reduce his wages.

"Meanwhile, Magilton has also confirmed that Town’s move for Southampton’s Czech international Rudi Skácel is now dead. A £1 million fee had been agreed with the Saints and Skácel had even had a medical with the Blues, but it appears the 29-year-old is looking for top division football to enhance his chances of playing international football."

http://www.clubfanzine.com/ipswich_town/v2.showNews.php?id=12534

I didn't realise that was why he didn't join them.

No one knows if he has an appearance fee as part of his contract or if he does have one how high it is.

I'd of thought there was little chance of getting him to reduce his wages.

True, but I would have thought an international player (ok, not a great one) on high wages would have appearance fees in there. Goal bonuses are almost a given as well. Can anybody verify?

Absolutely no chance of getting him to reduce wages and to be fair to him, why would he? Its not like he's been here a great length of time - like I said I actually like the player but not for the sake of the club. If we can't afford him, we have to do something - loaning him out to somebody else in this division and paying some of his wages may be the only option.

loaning him out to somebody else in this division and paying some of his wages may be the only option.

I said several weeks ago we should have paid the £4k a week drop in wages he would have taken going to Ipswich. The £1m transfer fee would have made a sizeable dent in our overdraft and the savings in interest payments would go towards that £4k a week.

Considering he hasn't really played any games I doubt he will even be able to complete his usual 60 minutes.

Still he could be a usefull player for us, better than Holmes anyway.

Holmes has been a great signing so far IMO. Much more productive than Rudi, better final project and loads more energy. Also wants to play for the club which is the main thing.

Holmes has been a great signing so far IMO. Much more productive than Rudi, better final project and loads more energy. Also wants to play for the club which is the main thing.

Yeah, I guess I was wrong.

I didn't think much the first time I saw him but after Derby I think I was wrong. He's ace and a superb deal to get him for free.