Consortium Watch!

Frank's cousin

What do most saints fans think about the club not owning St Marys?

Surely this limits the clubs earning potential from conferences & concerts etc? Surely the earnings outweigh the costs of running the stadium? The only income the club would have would be from gate reciepts as their would be very little TV money in League One.

I have to be honest and say that I am not totally comfortable with the idea of club not owning the stadium.

Surely this limits the clubs earning potential from conferences & concerts etc? Surely the earnings outweigh the costs of running the stadium? The only income the club would have would be from gate reciepts as their would be very little TV money in League One.

I have to be honest and say that I am not totally comfortable with the idea of club not owning the stadium.

Stu alluded to this elsewhere.

Would want to have a decent look at the numbers just to see how it all panned out (costs v income) and then consider what the hire charge will be against the alterntive net cost/profit of owning. Is a benefit or is it a millstone???

In principle I don't have an aversion to renting the stadium off of someone, but it's still a fairly fluid situation.

Stu's point was interesting in that if the "new owners" haven't got the money to get the stadium "on the cheap" then it may not bode well for how much dosh they have!!

But on the other hand, if it means we stay in existence (with the potential to perhaps buy back in the future), then why not?

Stu alluded to this elsewhere.

Would want to have a decent look at the numbers just to see how it all panned out (costs v income) and then consider what the hire charge will be against the alterntive net cost/profit of owning. Is a benefit or is it a millstone???

In principle I don't have an aversion to renting the stadium off of someone, but it's still a fairly fluid situation.

Stu's point was interesting in that if the "new owners" haven't got the money to get the stadium "on the cheap" then it may not bode well for how much dosh they have!!

But on the other hand, if it means we stay in existence (with the potential to perhaps buy back in the future), then why not?

Nothing to stop the newly formed club buying the stadium back in the future when finances stabilise. Doesn't stop AC Milan and Inter succeeding at the highrst level.. The San Siro is not owned by the clubs..

Nothing to stop the newly formed club buying the stadium back in the future when finances stabilise. Doesn't stop AC Milan and Inter succeeding at the highrst level.. The San Siro is not owned by the clubs..

Indeed! Nor does it stop the new owners being a major shareholder (i.e. joint ownership) in SMS Ltd. That way, the football club could may be, play rent free with the revenue streams from the various stadium events, split 50-50 between the club and SCC.

Updated odds?

1. The Tchenguiz Brothers? They have the funds but the credit crunch has exposed them to hugh loses. Are they right for Saints? Who knows? - 3-1

2. Tom Scott - Has links to Askham & Richards? 4-1

3. Salz/Crouch - A rival bidder might just beat them to the final post. 5-1

4. Souness? Has yet to issue any denial - 10-1

5. Fulthrope/Merrington - Will Asturius finally be able to produce the funds? Unlikely? 25-1

6. Gavyn Davies - Has publically stated that he's not involved with any bid - 25-1

7. Heineken Lady? - Dutch Royal family as friends, is that what is know as 'Total fantasy'? 1000-1

8. Richard Branson - now putting money into Brawn GP - 50-1

9. Paul Allen - naturrally the only choice for SFC! 1000-1

10. Aliens from Mars - 150000-1

11. LifeLongSaint - 500000-1

12 Rupert Lowe - loves the Club, wants to help out - 1-3

Stoke City did this - the ground was part financed by the Stoke-on-Trent City Council and S-o-T Regeneration when it was built, and they then sold their shares back to the club for about £6m at the end of 2007.

Basically, if the council stepping in to support the club helps us stabilise in the short-term, then it would be a good thing in my opinion. It will also help ensure that the club remains at the heart of the community. Of course any potential buyer will need to be comfortable with this arrangement, but there is clearly precedent for this working.

Updated odds?

1. The Tchenguiz Brothers? They have the funds but the credit crunch has exposed them to hugh loses. Are they right for Saints? Who knows? - 3-1

2. Tom Scott - Has links to Askham & Richards? 4-1

3. Salz/Crouch - A rival bidder might just beat them to the final post. 5-1

4. Souness? Has yet to issue any denial - 10-1

5. Fulthrope/Merrington - Will Asturius finally be able to produce the funds? Unlikely? 25-1

6. Gavyn Davies - Has publically stated that he's not involved with any bid - 25-1

7. Heineken Lady? - Dutch Royal family as friends, is that what is know as 'Total fantasy'? 1000-1

8. Richard Branson - now putting money into Brawn GP - 50-1

9. Paul Allen - naturrally the only choice for SFC! 1000-1

10. Aliens from Mars - 150000-1

11. LifeLongSaint - 500000-1

Very interesting article in today's Observer:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/apr/12/tchenguiz-kaupthing-investigation-business

I know that I'll know more tomorrow, particularly with regard a certain consortium, but my information that ownership the Club and ownership of the stadiium would separate seems to be proving correct.

Regards

Morph

Did you enjoy the bunfight today?;)

Edited by Delmary

Depends on whether SMS is viewed as an asset or a liability. To any new SFC owner it could be a liability, to the council it might be different. Man City had an interesting deal when they took over Eastlands/CoMS from Manchester Council after the Commonwealth Games. The Council took a part revenue from tickets that decreased over time but paid most of the capital and operating costs for a while too until Man City were in a stable financial position to take on the costs themselves. It worked for both parties as Man City were not overloaded and the council didn't have a white elephant stadium on their patch.

Edited by TopGun

Does anyone know if Askham was there?

I had a good look but couldn't see him.

Mike Richards was there with his Saints scarf around his neck, which is fair enough considering he donated £1,000 of his own cash.

Leon and Lawrie returned to their box above the Director's box, but other than that, I didn't really see any familiar faces.

I had a good look but couldn't see him.

Mike Richards was there with his Saints scarf around his neck, which is fair enough considering he donated £1,000 of his own cash.

Leon and Lawrie returned to their box above the Director's box, but other than that, I didn't really see any familiar faces.

Askem was not in the Directors Box, nor were many others. Alot of empty seats this time. Maybe the Administrator has warned them off.

Although Simon Jordan was there.

Regards

Morph

Askem was not in the Directors Box, nor were many others. Alot of empty seats this time. Maybe the Administrator has warned them off.

Although Simon Jordan was there.

Regards

Morph

I sit miles away from the directors's box - certainly too far to try and recognise anyone.

What I could see was the rows of empty seats and I wondered if the Administrator has told the tyre kickers to pay for their own seats.

Maybe that is why the gate was 8,000 more than average :-) :-)

I reckon that must be good news if the tyre kickers are being booted into touch! surely we must be down to the serios bidders by now!! hoping it will be a positive yet pivotal week!

OR

I reckon that is really bad news as all the prospective consortiums came to watch the Charlton game and ran away screaming never to return......

8-[

OR

I reckon that is really bad news as all the prospective consortiums came to watch the Charlton game and ran away screaming never to return......

8-[

I would have thought that with any serious investor, the teams performance not the thing that will either attract them or put them off. They will be looking at the infrastructure (stadium, training facilities, academy etc) and potential fanbase (they must have been impressed with yesterdays support after the Charlton debacle) rather than the current team. TBH if somebody serious comes in with money, the team is the easiest thing to change, particularly if they come in with a 3 -5 year plan to get Saint back to the Prem. I accept that which division we are in would probably effect the price that a new owner would pay but I really don`t think that current team performance will greatly effect their decision.

I would have thought that with any serious investor, the teams performance not the thing that will either attract them or put them off. They will be looking at the infrastructure (stadium, training facilities, academy etc) and potential fanbase (they must have been impressed with yesterdays support after the Charlton debacle) rather than the current team. TBH if somebody serious comes in with money, the team is the easiest thing to change, particularly if they come in with a 3 -5 year plan to get Saint back to the Prem. I accept that which division we are in would probably effect the price that a new owner would pay but I really don`t think that current team performance will greatly effect their decision.

Agree, certainly for those with serious long term plans.

You obviously missed the smiley and the fact I was joshing with Thorpie..

In the exact same way that people post about the attendance potential and numebrs at these last two games making a difference, they won't.

SIMPLISTICLY some of the key influencers are.

How cheaply can a bidder gain our assets?

How quickly can the wage bill be reduced (ie our Operating Expenses)?

How quickly and at what cost will the underperforming team be rebuilt?

What will be the monthly cost structure/targets of the new club?

What assets can we sell?

What League will we be in - impacting on revenue from broadcasting?

What balance between costs and broacasting will they need to achieve from Matchday/Saeson Ticket & Commercial operations?

Then somewhere near the end will be = What is the break-even crowd?

Only a fool would build a business plan with the level of capital needed around a "hope" or a "possible" attendance figure, especially in a recession

They will have to know the NUMBERS first.

IF the finances work and the club can break even with around 15,000 average then many bidders should be able to construct a deal.

If it rises to around 17,000 it will become a risk - we have NOT covered ourselves in glory all season.

If the figure becomes 19,000, then the bidders will need to invest in working capital. That will limit the number of potential bidders to those who want to take a LARGE risk with money at this time

At the forefront of EVERY bidder will be one key phrase.

What is our Exit Strategy?

Namely how to we ensure that this does not become a black hole that we lose our money into, and hopefully MAKE money from.

Any bidder who has to hope to rely on sentiment (ie the fans liking what they see) as a primary driver to buy the club is somebody who should not be within a mile of us

In the exact same way that people post about the attendance potential and numebrs at these last two games making a difference, they won't.

What assets can we sell?

What balance between costs and broacasting will they need to achieve from Matchday/Saeson Ticket & Commercial operations?

Only a fool would build a business plan with the level of capital needed around a "hope" or a "possible" attendance figure, especially in a recession

IF the finances work and the club can break even with around 15,000 average then many bidders should be able to construct a deal.

If it rises to around 17,000 it will become a risk - we have NOT covered ourselves in glory all season.

If the figure becomes 19,000, then the bidders will need to invest in working capital. That will limit the number of potential bidders to those who want to take a LARGE risk with money at this time

Namely how to we ensure that this does not become a black hole that we lose our money into, and hopefully MAKE money from.

Any bidder who has to hope to rely on sentiment (ie the fans liking what they see) as a primary driver to buy the club is somebody who should not be within a mile of us

Yep, them damn pesky smilies are always catching me out!:);)

What assets can we sell?

What are the chances of us breaking even with 15000 Phil? Sounds plausible.....I also think that even in league 1 though but winning games, 17000 is reasonable.....fans after all like watching a team doing well!

so any updates today? Anyone know how far down the line the administrators are with meeting possible investors? Was nice to know last week they had there 1st meeting so would be nice to know if they have nearly finished the 1st stage or not.

I think from what I can make out, its a drag it out as long as possible to get the best possible deal for creditors kind of scenario! Don't reckon we will hear anything until the end of April at earliest. Everyone serious must be under code of silence now!

The ability of the team to stay up along with the decision of the Football League regarding the ten points must impact upon potential investment. A side in Div 1 with reduced gates being a much cheaper option for purchase than a Championship club.

Therefore would it not be reasonable to assume all serious investors have due diligence and their credentials confirmed, but then sit and wait for Saints league status to be confirmed ?

A decision a couple of weeks after the season ends wouldn't surprise me.

The ability of the team to stay up along with the decision of the Football League regarding the ten points must impact upon potential investment. A side in Div 1 with reduced gates being a much cheaper option for purchase than a Championship club.

Therefore would it not be reasonable to assume all serious investors have due diligence and their credentials confirmed, but then sit and wait for Saints league status to be confirmed ?

A decision a couple of weeks after the season ends wouldn't surprise me.

And you would also think that the more credible groups would have a few different models for the various different scenarios that could pan out, and then have indiciative ranges of how much they want to lay out to acquire the Club depending on what happens.

I think you're spot on in that relegation (and one or two other factors) will have to be sorted before we start seeing some movement.

Absolute disgrace that Dave Jones and Richards are sat in those seats.

Without wishing to be pedantic, Dave Jones and Richards are not sat in their seats.

Perhaps they had to stand throughout the game as some sort of penance for the state that the club is now in.