Were the realists realistic?

NickG

The 'realists' never were realistic because they had nothing to base their negative attitudes upon except predudice against Rupert Lowe. Disliking the chairman was never going to be a basis for having any opinion about how good JP was as a manager, or how well his team could play. The realists also proved to be poor at predicting the club's transfer policy and at judging which players should be in the team.

are we going to struggle?

or were the happy clappy optimists (like me) who thought we were better than laast year and will not be relegated realistic after all?

You are a little premature (and acting immaturely) to gloat but I will say I was mightily impressed with what I saw tonight.

The time to post smug threads is not yet upon us so I suggest you keep your powder dry, however one cynic (me) is starting to be converted on that show this evening.

The 'realists' never were realistic because they had nothing to base their negative attitudes upon except predudice against Rupert Lowe. Disliking the chairman was never going to be a basis for having any opinion about how good JP was as a manager, or how well his team could play. The realists also proved to be poor at predicting the club's transfer policy and at judging which players should be in the team.

Are you obsessed with the chairman?

A lot of people who were dubious, were so because the manager we appointed had a pretty 'unproven' track record. I can't say that I blame the skepticism to be honest.

Obviously the fact that he was appointed by Wilde [sic] only served to fan the flames....

it was right to be sceptical but it was wrong to totally right them off as many did and they posted as fact with no evidence -so its good to enjoy the fact -now we have evidence -that they were wrong. I know the season is far from over -but they thought it was over before it started and belittled anyone who said otherwise!

I think it's a little early to be passing any kind of judgement. We've played well and that's good but it's still a very thin squad and we've no idea how it will cope when injuries bite, suspensions kick in, when teams figure us out or when crucial players get sold. Hopefully we'll cope with it all. I'll admit we've played as well as I'd hoped we would and not how I thought we probably would but it's still far too early in the season.

Finally can you stop going on about Lowe - you're obsessed and it's a bit boring.

it was right to be sceptical but it was wrong to totally right them off as many did and they posted as fact with no evidence -so its good to enjoy the fact -now we have evidence -that they were wrong. I know the season is far from over -but they thought it was over before it started and belittled anyone who said otherwise!

I don't agree NickG. I, for one, was slightly although cautiously coming round to the new "kids revolution"/JP plan but when we sold Davies and Surman seemed to be on his way it all seemed to be a hollow sham and another name for selling off everyone we could and leaving us with anyone left with 2 feet to play.

I think it was realistic to not expect that to work but to my very pleasant surprise things are looking a whole lot better than I imagined. And I'm as delighted as anyone else.

I think you optimists somehow think that us "realists" somehow WANT the team to fail. Nothing could be further from the truth. I think most of the last 4 years we have, unfortunately been proved to be right whilst the eternal optimists will still insist against all factual evidence that everything is ok until we get relagated or just manage to stay in the CCc on the last day of the season.

It doesn't stop me giving my undying, whole-hearted support for the team it's just less surprising for us when we lose :-)

realistic - when shown to be real

when not known

optimists - lean towards positive outcome

pessimists -vice versa

Its arrogant to believe ones prediction is the only realistic one

That's why I put "realists" in inverted commas. It was your phrase which is in the title of the thread you started!

fair enough, probably thread not aimed at you then! I will leave it now -have no problem with range of views but got fed up with being slated including some ridiculous insults and PMs as I was not a "realist" and didn't "realise" that we would be certain to get relegated -based on players they hadn't seen but were quick to slag off, Schneiderlin, Holmes etc

Anyway now loved seeing this new look team for 5th time this season and enjoying every minute -so no more baiting from me!

or were the happy clappy optimists (like me) who thought we were better than laast year and will not be relegated realistic after all?

Anyway last year when GB was in charge, and Pearson I was accused many a time of being a happy clapper.

Often by the very same posters who have turned into manic happy clappers themselves.

Too soon to say, IMO.

In a nutshell.

The Brum games have proven we are capable of beating or losing to any team in this division, much the same as the last 2 seasons. So, it's anyones guess really.

Don't forget we are seeing the first choice 11 pretty much at the moment. The real test will come when we pick up a few injuries, as I think we lack depth.

Unlike last season, I am looking forward to seeing how it unfolds, whereas under Burley last season I was dreading the tedious inevitability of the whole situation.

Alpine took a (not-undeserved) bashing for posting that the sky was falling after we had lost the first two games of the season. If anyone is going to tell me we're going the win the league after another two, then they're just as deluded.

It's a long season. We've only played 5 games.

As Arizona said, we are a small squad so injuries will hit particularly hard.

We also need to take into account that the more successful we get, the more teams will adapt the way they play to counter us - which presents new and different challenges for manager, players et al. One new approach will not in itself get us promoted.

Lots still to do - but very exciting at the moment. I certainly thought we'd have to wait a lot longer to see even one win. I'm delighted to be wrong and hope the guys keep proving me wrong.

Here's hoping the fans come back to ride this wave and that the board keep their faith too and don't sell off any of these talented young kids.

As opposed to the "optimists" who based their expectations on what evidence exactly?:rolleyes:

Lets just hope that the what you call "realists" (which certainly includes myself) are going to be proven wrong. It's early days yet, but so far it's looking promising.

Wow what a stupid post. We have won only 1 league game against a team who have not won in the league in a year and against a Birmingham reserve team almost and now all of a sudden we are free of struggles? Truth is if we play like we did at Derby we will not be in a relegation fight. But to start saying things like you are really could make you look an idiot if we lost at the weekend or we lose players to injury. The actual "realists" know we are in for a very tough long season where every early point gained will be vital. So enjoy these 2 wins, feel happy about them as i do, but dont be arrogant about them because that just sets you up for a fall.

How many times does it have to be repeated before the message finally gets across?

The realistic situation requires the passage of time to gain credence. This is a long season of 46 games. We have so far only played three in the league.

There are any number of factors that can have a great influence on how things eventually turn out like injuries and suspensions. For crissakes, the transfer window is still open until midnight next Monday and there could be changes there too.

Until there have been several more games played, it won't be possible to make any reasoned judgement either way without being taken for an fool. One can be pessimistic or optimistic depending on one's demeanour, but it is not possible to call oneself a realist by making snap judgements without all the facts.

I was 1 that questioned how well we will do in this league with kids trying to play total football i am happy to say the two games i have seen have been a pleasure to watch they are playing free flowing football with no fear and i like it.

However this is 1 of the toughest legeaus in europe and we will need a plan B anyone who went to Blackpool last season will know we cant play this football in those conditions but at the moment lets enjoy the great football the kids are playing and get behind the team coyr

I am over from abroad for a visit and got to see the brum game. On the whole I was impressed with what I saw and enjoyed the new style. After seeing that I can understand the excitement and buzz going around.

The strengh in depth worries me, but after seeing them my fears of certain relegation have gone.

I feel more positive about our future but need to keep my feet firmly on the ground for a while yet.

I'm simply enjoying the season so far, more to be positive than negative based on our play, the board still have alot to do in keeping us solvent but do not believe this will impact on the first 11.

Enjoying watching a team that seems to want to play for our club oppose to those 'names' that have been in semi-retirement for a few seasons now, let us all as fans assist our club both on and off the pitch by putting our bums on SMS seats.

Hello again....

Started new job up the M3 in Bracknell after a summer of gardening leave so been away from the site for a while and have not yet seen the lads play this season so cant really comment. From what I have read/heard it sounds positive so far despite the departures, and I like most was pretty dismayed when Davies went to Stoke, but the early signs are encouraging - I like what is happening but would offer a cautious note: this is a young side, that likes topas it around. This will work fine whilst we still ahve the good weather and decent pitches, but what happens come February, with the sodden fields, do we have a plan B? How will we fair against the the more brutish sides that e have always struggled against?

I want to be positive as it sounds like its great to watch saints at the moment, and cant wait for Saturday, but we need to measure our optimism against the grim reality of the competitiveness of this division.

this thread has brought my mind back to when Jan was apppointed. Somebody put up his past record and that set the fans against him early doors. Thankfully (at present time)he has shut the doubters up and many have drifted away awaiting their time to have a go again.

Relegation battle no chance

Mid table at worse

Play offs being realistic

Top two being optimistic

What the hell are you on about? of course there's a chance, just because we've won one league game it doesn't mean the wheels couldn't come off at any time

There are obviously 2 ways to judge how things will go this season. Based on the results and based on the performances. Based just on the results its obviously to early to really say but I think its the consistently good level of the performances that can already justify a reasonable high level of optimism for the season ahead.

Hello again....

Started new job up the M3 in Bracknell after a summer of gardening leave so been away from the site for a while and have not yet seen the lads play this season so cant really comment. From what I have read/heard it sounds positive so far despite the departures, and I like most was pretty dismayed when Davies went to Stoke, but the early signs are encouraging - I like what is happening but would offer a cautious note: this is a young side, that likes topas it around. This will work fine whilst we still ahve the good weather and decent pitches, but what happens come February, with the sodden fields, do we have a plan B? How will we fair against the the more brutish sides that e have always struggled against?

I want to be positive as it sounds like its great to watch saints at the moment, and cant wait for Saturday, but we need to measure our optimism against the grim reality of the competitiveness of this division.

FC, I understand your reservations but something I dont understand is this what happens in bad weather.If you can pass and move and are bright and comfortable with a football, you adapt. Remember Derby baseball ground, there was more mud than grass and they won the league and were not hoofers. If the team has energy and the fight I cant see the problem.The real worry for me is the next week and january transfer windows, that is more likely to trip us up.

You are a little premature (and acting immaturely) to gloat but I will say I was mightily impressed with what I saw tonight.

The time to post smug threads is not yet upon us so I suggest you keep your powder dry, however one cynic (me) is starting to be converted on that show this evening.

I agree with the last sentence.

I dont understand is this what happens in bad weather.

The real worry for me is the next week and january transfer windows, that is more likely to trip us up.

I too do not understand the fear of the weather, few, if any pitches will be so poor as to affect our play, the guys are professionals and will know how to adapt.

I do not believe the coming week will impact our first team but am mindful of January if our boys continue to shine, however, there are many Fridays ahead of us !!!

Dear oh dear Nick. If it makes you feel better and massages your ego then you have been proven to be totally right. Oops, hold on a minute we've won one league game in three.

I really, really hope you are right and I'm sure that goes for every single fan of SFC but it's probably a tad early to be saying 'I told you so'.

Dear oh dear Nick. If it makes you feel better and massages your ego then you have been proven to be totally right. Oops, hold on a minute we've won one league game in three.

I really, really hope you are right and I'm sure that goes for every single fan of SFC but it's probably a tad early to be saying 'I told you so'.

May I point out it isa MR G not Mr H

who put that, I dont wish for any confusion.I'm going to wait a while for the 'told you so' stuff although probably wont point it out even then.

May I point out it isa MR G not Mr H

who put that, I dont wish for any confusion.I'm going to wait a while for the 'told you so' stuff although probably wont point it out even then.

Yes I knew that Nick (h) so no confusion on my part. Just read your post on the 'Lowe vindicated' thread and mybe at last we agree on something. Onwards and upwards.

Do you know what? Having been put through 4 seasons of hellish football at times, at last I can take a small amount of pride in my team again.

The league will sort itself out, we have a lot of youngsters whose form will probably dip in and out a bit. I like the ethos of youth, shame we didn't have the balls to do it 2 years ago.

I don't agree NickG. I, for one, was slightly although cautiously coming round to the new "kids revolution"/JP plan but when we sold Davies and Surman seemed to be on his way it all seemed to be a hollow sham and another name for selling off everyone we could and leaving us with anyone left with 2 feet to play.

I think it was realistic to not expect that to work but to my very pleasant surprise things are looking a whole lot better than I imagined. And I'm as delighted as anyone else.

I think you optimists somehow think that us "realists" somehow WANT the team to fail. Nothing could be further from the truth. I think most of the last 4 years we have, unfortunately been proved to be right whilst the eternal optimists will still insist against all factual evidence that everything is ok until we get relagated or just manage to stay in the CCc on the last day of the season.

It doesn't stop me giving my undying, whole-hearted support for the team it's just less surprising for us when we lose :-)

Exactly as he said.

I was sceptical at the start of the season.

I went to Derby Saturday and thought we were brilliant ion the 2nd half. But it's August, the pitches are nice and the opposition not all 6"3' and 15 stone.

I always support the lads 100% and want nothing but good things.

This is a silly division and you never know what might happen. All things being equal though i do think we'll still be in the lower half of the table come May.

But assuming we avoid relegation that is no bad thing, we get the finances on an even keel, the kids have experience and we push on next season.

You do never know though and i'm happy to eat my words!

In a nutshell.

The Brum games have proven we are capable of beating or losing to any team in this division, much the same as the last 2 seasons. So, it's anyones guess really.

Er, all the two Brum games have proved is that we are capable of beating or losing to Birmingham. It doesn't give any insight as to the rest of the league, especially considering that Birmingham are top of the league.

Er, all the two Brum games have proved is that we are capable of beating or losing to Birmingham. It doesn't give any insight as to the rest of the league, especially considering that Birmingham are top of the league.

What I meant was we are capable of losing to a team one week, then barely a week later the same side at the same venue beats them.

Bit premature, as has been said, to be gloating over the nay-sayers. What I've seen (sadly only last night and the Celtic game) gives me huge grounds for optimism. But it's very early in a long season to be gloating or despairing. Looking forward to Saturday though.

I predicted relegation and will be more than happy to eat humble pie if we have a great season. I simply can't wait for Saturday's game - the first time I have felt like that for ages.

Can I point out that after the Sheff United away win last season I had exactly the same feeling to that after the Derby game - very upbeat and confident of the season ahead. We all know how the season went in the end though.

I know things are going very well right now and long may it continue, but in the league we have actually lost 2 games and won 1. Its a long old season...

Sorry but that was no more a birmingham reserve team that it was a Southampton reserve team.

Then you obviously didn't go to either of the games because they had 6 different players last night playing compared to when we first played them. Where as we had 3 if i remember right.

Hello again....

Hi Frank,

Sounds like the weather is good in Bracknell, its ****ed down here all summer. I have heard that the pitch at St Marys has already cut up badly and is hard to play our passing game on such a bobbly pitch.

I'm sure it can't get worse.

Anyway, enjoy your holiday in sunny Bracknell, I'm off to sort a few leaks out.;)

I, for one, was glad Rupert Lowe came back as I didn't want him ousted in the first place. The whole "Lowe Out" whining was embarrassing and I just knew it would be thrown back in the fans' faces. (I judge Southampton to have the most fickle fans on the country).

He's done a good job in installing this manager but so many of you are getting far too carried away with this young club. I predict we will struggle but not go down. It is so soon to tell what will happen.

Of course I'm delighted with the way we've played in the last two games but, remember, we have already lost two in the league and played poorly against Exeter with the same group of players.