New Manager Preference  

1,165 members have voted

1. 1. New Manager Preference

• Mark Wotte
    • Paul Tisdale
    • Iain Dowie
    • Mickey Adams
    • MLT
    • "Other" SFC Old Boy - Dodd/Benali/Flowers/?
    • Paul Ince
    • Steve Coppell
    • Tommy Widdrington
    • Let's just get behind whoever it is. Their money = Their club.

Ince would be the wrong choice. Strikes me as a self satisfied cat, the cat whos got the cream. All ego, living on his time as a player and perhaps a spoiled brat.

With Matt back we need someone who understands Southampton. Has any one mentioned Nick Holmes. Now hes someone that would fight for us.

Assuming Coppell is completely unrealistic it has to be Dowie or Tisdale IMO.

Both have some affection for the club. Both are young and hungry to prove themselves. Both have achieved promotions as a manager. Neither comes with any particular baggage or controversy and neither is likely to bugger-off somewhere else unless they have done a really good job for us.

would go with that

This poll is ridiculous for the following reasons:

1. By putting Tommy Widdrington at the bottom, just above the "whatever" option the subliminal message posters get is that he is not a serious candidate.

2. The question posed is who should be manager, a simple poll, but the usual suspects have turned it into an exercise of publicising their own preference (not that this is what was asked for) and denegrating other professionals. I personally think the threatment of some of the candidates is a disgrace. Many of the options in the poll are serious candidtaes and have at some point (accroding to various sources) been contacted by the club with the view to an appointment. I don't think it is good for either them or us as fans to have posters slagging off serious candidates because of their own inherent bias. I think the people involved know who they are and which particular candidate has been harshly treated. No professional in the world (from any field of expertise) would like to be pubically humilated as one candidate has been on here and I would expect certain posters to make a formal apology.

This poll is ridiculous for the following reasons:

1. By putting Tommy Widdrington at the bottom, just above the "whatever" option the subliminal message posters get is that he is not a serious candidate.

2. The question posed is who should be manager, a simple poll, but the usual suspects have turned it into an exercise of publicising their own preference (not that this is what was asked for) and denegrating other professionals. I personally think the threatment of some of the candidates is a disgrace. Many of the options in the poll are serious candidtaes and have at some point (accroding to various sources) been contacted by the club with the view to an appointment. I don't think it is good for either them or us as fans to have posters slagging off serious candidates because of their own inherent bias. I think the people involved know who they are and which particular candidate has been harshly treated. No professional in the world (from any field of expertise) would like to be pubically humilated as one candidate has been on here and I would expect certain posters to make a formal apology.

A poll is for people to show their opinions.

I have asked many times for TW followers to do a sales pitch on his behalf such as I did for PT - none have. I personally only see him as a light-hearted suggestion for two reasons 1) he is no more saints through and through than Skacel, 2) he has not even managed to get hired as a non-league manager yet - this is supposedly a 5 year plan to premiership.

I find yours one of the strangest posts on here in a long time!

A poll is for people to show their opinions.

I have asked many times for TW followers to do a sales pitch on his behalf such as I did for PT - none have. I personally only see him as a light-hearted suggestion for two reasons 1) he is no more saints through and through than Skacel, 2) he has not even managed to get hired as a non-league manager yet - this is supposedly a 5 year plan to premiership.

I find yours one of the strangest posts on here in a long time!

I have done "sales pitches" in the past. Tommy Widdrington has had his own thread on here before. The case has been made. If people wish to choose not to listen to then that is their own blinkered look out. How many of the other candidates have had their own threads?

You may only see him as a "light hearted suggestion" but that doesn't make him a light hearted suggestion. There are people on here suggesting Gordon Strachan. A man who narrowly missed out on 4 back to back titles with the biggest team in Scotland.......seriusly put forward as a manager of a L1 team that he walked out on when we were Prem standard for a lack of ambition. HA! That is not just a "light hearted suggestion" it is downright mental. Tommy Widdrington is more than light hearted. He is the man for the job and it is not just me that thinks so. Look at this list of TW supporters posted by another TW backer on another thread:

saintwarwick

Nadia Sllim

J Bizzle

VectisSaint

draganov

nickh

Delmary

Junction 9

Kadeem Hardison

Ian the Red

norwaysaint

saintedwill

Super_Uwe

hardly a few, tbf

(taken from this post: http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=262489&postcount=83)

And this poster hasn't even included me - Tommy's biggest fan! There are loads more such as:

Dover Saint

Quickfire Double

Kazza

gammoncheeks

Yarm Saint

grammy

adethorne

to name just a few.

I don't want this to turn into a pointless discussion or a slanging match. The new owners will choose who they see fit. Like I say I hear TW has been spoken about. I don't want Saints fans to start falling out about the next manager, especially when it is out of our control. However, a little bit of courtesy wouldn't go amiss.

Tisdale for me, dont believe in having to have an old face manage the team. Do believe though that Le Tiss on the board is a good thing?

Tisdale is an old face isn't he? Albeit one that only briefly made the first team. I know little about him. Voted for Ince as I think he'll have the drive, determination and ability to take us all the way back to the top league, but whoever the new board appoint I will support (although I'll be bitterly disappointed if they just stick with Wotte!).

I have done "sales pitches" in the past. Tommy Widdrington has had his own thread on here before. The case has been made. If people wish to choose not to listen to then that is their own blinkered look out. How many of the other candidates have had their own threads?

You may only see him as a "light hearted suggestion" but that doesn't make him a light hearted suggestion. There are people on here suggesting Gordon Strachan. A man who narrowly missed out on 4 back to back titles with the biggest team in Scotland.......seriusly put forward as a manager of a L1 team that he walked out on when we were Prem standard for a lack of ambition. HA! That is not just a "light hearted suggestion" it is downright mental. Tommy Widdrington is more than light hearted. He is the man for the job and it is not just me that thinks so. Look at this list of TW supporters posted by another TW backer on another thread:

saintwarwick

Nadia Sllim

J Bizzle

VectisSaint

draganov

nickh

Delmary

Junction 9

Kadeem Hardison

Ian the Red

norwaysaint

saintedwill

Super_Uwe

hardly a few, tbf

(taken from this post: http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=262489&postcount=83)

And this poster hasn't even included me - Tommy's biggest fan! There are loads more such as:

Dover Saint

Quickfire Double

Kazza

gammoncheeks

Yarm Saint

grammy

adethorne

to name just a few.

I don't want this to turn into a pointless discussion or a slanging match. The new owners will choose who they see fit. Like I say I hear TW has been spoken about. I don't want Saints fans to start falling out about the next manager, especially when it is out of our control. However, a little bit of courtesy wouldn't go amiss.

Oh, hahahahahahaha, what japes.

Can we stop this dopy Widdrington nonsense. It was a funny little gag launched by the wind up merchants on here, but now it isn't funny anymore.

Cheers.

Results so far summary, all imho,

Tisdale 208, 23% - popular and my choice, also noticed LMc talking favorably about him yesterday's echo.

Coppell 165 18% - another good choice, but just can't see him coming here somehow with our current league position - why did he leave Reading?

Dowie 134 15% - seems to have fallen out with people and remember article about his training methods being bizarre but again a big name for the 3rd tier.

I personally would be very happy with any of those.

Paul Ince 104 11% - would not particular want him due to his character and can't see him staying long term but at least would show their ability to attract a name.

188, 21% would get behind manager whoever it is - good to see and would expect many who voted for one of the names would also feel this. I wonder whether all of those feel like that if it was still Wotte?

Todays People claim that "Southampton are watching the situation" at Newcastle wher eit seems Shearer is becoming frustrated by not reaching an agreement with Ashley.

Today's papers also saying West Brom are interested. If he was staying at Newcastle, surely it would have been tied up by now.

Shearer would be a disaster, I'd rather stick with Wotte.

Errrrr. No thanks :)

Shearer would attract players, provide credibility and comes with Dowie. Now that would be a team made in heaven for me. But, it aint gonna happen IMHO.

Problem with Shearer would be that he'd want to go back to Newcastle at some stage. We need a 6 year manager with experience ideally. Whilst Shearer lacks experience his sidekick doesnt. That said, pro's definately outweigh the cons. Shearer and Dowie - dream Saints team!

Paul Ince proved himself with MKDONS. However, the poll is a bit limited.

So Ince would like you to believe.This conveniently overlooks the fact that he inherited a side that Martin Allen had put together and the brains behind Ince's operation was Ray Matthias who is well versed in the lower divisions.

Ince is a charlatan.Give him a wide berth.

Just for you Dalek,I'd add that Hoddle is a more credible candidate in my book than 'the guv'nor'.

Shearer would be a disaster, I'd rather stick with Wotte.

Somehow I'm inclined to agree with you about Shearer.He would attract massive media interest and make us into an even bigger scalp for the rest of the division to aim for.

Tisdale remains the outstanding candidate for me given his track record,and potential.

Oh, hahahahahahaha, what japes.

Can we stop this dopy Widdrington nonsense. It was a funny little gag launched by the wind up merchants on here, but now it isn't funny anymore.

Cheers.

I can see what your agenda is, and you are being very clever in the way that you send your message, but I think you should grow up a bit.

Gus poyet

Now that is a good call. Knows how to get a side going at L1 level after a points deduction (Leeds) and look what happened when left for Spurs, well before Wise went to Newcastle. Great contacts, articulate and understands the English game.

widderington is the only stand-out choice in that sorry bunch

ROFL LOL and all the other things you young scamps say. I take it this is some kind of campaign on bebo as well?

:smt026:smt082:chain::smt025:gib::smt111:smt028:smt117

Errrrr. No thanks :)

Shearer would attract players, provide credibility and comes with Dowie. Now that would be a team made in heaven for me. But, it aint gonna happen IMHO.

Problem with Shearer would be that he'd want to go back to Newcastle at some stage. We need a 6 year manager with experience ideally. Whilst Shearer lacks experience his sidekick doesnt. That said, pro's definately outweigh the cons. Shearer and Dowie - dream Saints team!

The days of managers staying at clubs like Southampton for 6 years are long gone. If he was successful he would be be cherry picked by a Prem club, if he was unsuccessful he would be sacked by the new owner anxious he was not getting a decent return on his investment.

The days of managers staying at clubs like Southampton for 6 years are long gone. If he was successful he would be be cherry picked by a Prem club, if he was unsuccessful he would be sacked by the new owner anxious he was not getting a decent return on his investment.

True. Sadly true.

But in principle we must be looking for some Moyes-like consistency for a change. Its one of the big lessons learnt from the Lowe-years.

6 years should be an aspiration, 4 a minimum.

If Shearer where to come to Saints, proved himself, then moved back to his 'spiritual home', it would be like Groundhog day aka Hoddle !

I could just about see this scenario.

However, if we had a manager who did well with us in L1 it is unlikey any Premier clubs would take the risk of appointing a manager without proven Prem experience.

Saints gamble on Sturrock in 2004 was extremely risky and a failure and still begs the question, why ?

Thing is Tommy Widdrington is still friendly with MLT, and has worked with Nick Holmes for quite a while. He's had experience of the lower leagues and his blood flows red and white - anyone who saw him play for us knows that.

Sure you can argue he's a gamble but then any managerial appointment is exactly that - a gamble. I'd be happier taking a risk on Tommy than I would the other options and you'd have loyalty pretty much guaranteed.

Anyone who's spent any time talking to Tommy will tell you the guy is very passionate but also an extremely articulate and confident man with very definite views on how the game should be played - similar to Strachan in that respect. He'd restore a sense of pride in the players, wouldn't tolerate half hearted performances and with MLT as chairman we'd have confidence in a harmonious relationship between the chairman and manager.

Tommy gets my vote.

Thing is Tommy Widdrington is still friendly with MLT, and has worked with Nick Holmes for quite a while. He's had experience of the lower leagues and his blood flows red and white - anyone who saw him play for us knows that.

Sure you can argue he's a gamble but then any managerial appointment is exactly that - a gamble. I'd be happier taking a risk on Tommy than I would the other options and you'd have loyalty pretty much guaranteed.

Anyone who's spent any time talking to Tommy will tell you the guy is very passionate but also an extremely articulate and confident man with very definite views on how the game should be played - similar to Strachan in that respect. He'd restore a sense of pride in the players, wouldn't tolerate half hearted performances and with MLT as chairman we'd have confidence in a harmonious relationship between the chairman and manager.

Tommy gets my vote.

over someone who was at Saints longer and has successfully managed in the league?

Sure he's top bloke but only reached a number two role in non-league so far - probably about 50 ex-saints currently available and better qualified.