New Manager Preference  

1,165 members have voted

1. 1. New Manager Preference

• Mark Wotte
    • Paul Tisdale
    • Iain Dowie
    • Mickey Adams
    • MLT
    • "Other" SFC Old Boy - Dodd/Benali/Flowers/?
    • Paul Ince
    • Steve Coppell
    • Tommy Widdrington
    • Let's just get behind whoever it is. Their money = Their club.

As someone posted earlier - if we are worth hundreds of millions we should be looking at a proven quality manager like Strachan, Curbishley or Coppell or even better than that...as we all know apart from the owner the most important man at any club is the manager...as for Tommy Widdrington don't make me laugh!

As someone posted earlier - if we are worth hundreds of millions we should be looking at a proven quality manager like Strachan, Curbishley or Coppell or even better than that...as we all know apart from the owner the most important man at any club is the manager...as for Tommy Widdrington don't make me laugh!

Coppell or Strachen would be a real show of ambition - just can't see it.

Agreed with this, I would even have Ince but as for the TW shout this was doing the rounds some weeks ago with people clearly on a wind up.

I have a feeling Steve Cotterill will be the manager.

Would like to see Tisdale given a chance but unlikely.

Cotterill might have been an acceptable option under the old regime.

But,we now have to plan Saints future;start afresh so we need someone to build and mould the team.Tisdale is that man in my view.

Inexperienced ? Yes but so was Martin O'Neill when he first left Wycombe having brought them out of the Conference.

Cotterill might have been an acceptable option under the old regime.

But,we now have to plan Saints future;start afresh so we need someone to build and mould the team.Tisdale is that man in my view.

Inexperienced ? Yes but so was Martin O'Neill when he first left Wycombe having brought them out of the Conference.

good comparison - Tisdale could be argued more experience/successful than O'neill when appointed by Leicester and got them promoted to premiership in first season.

tisdale or ince, both are proven in the lower leagues.

dowie financially crippled oldham, spent heavily at charlton and got relegated, did nothing at all at coventry or qpr!

Agree - Dowie is vastly over-rated. He only has one thing to his name and that was getting Palace from the bottom of Championship to promotion and by all accounts this was due to having a really good number two and an Australian rugby fitness coach. Everything else he has touched has been a disaster.

tisdale, ince, cotterill or possibly bothroyd - in that order are all better bets IMO

I would love to see Tisdale as manager. He can work with little capital and provides teams that try to play in an entertaining style without losing the winning habit. His knowledge of the lower leagues could work in our favour really well. Finding players and cheaply to strengthen us and knowing how to combat the style of the division.

Coppell left Reading because of pressure from his Missus to get out of football. He was leaving whether they got promoted or not, he won't be back any time soon.

I can't believe the love in with Paul Ince... and I really can't believe people think he's too good to drop to League 1. He guided a team to promotion from League 2 (from a squad mostly presented to him on a silver platter) and he failed miserably in the premiership. I think League 1 is what he can expect... and I still wouldn't want him.

Dowie is the best realistic choice without a doubt

I was surprised Jim Gannon is not up there as a realistic choice. Experienced at this level and used to a tight budget and playing youth in the first team. Let's face it MLT isn't going to manage as he has said many times. Other possibles:

Stuart Baxter - Manages Finland but has stated he would like a change in English Football. Mates with Roy Hodgson and if he's as good as him, certainly worth a go.

Aidy Boothroyd - Still without a job, did OK at Watford until servere budget constraints and trying to change style of football ended his stint there.

John Hughes - Manager of Falkirk, has done wonders with keeping the club in the SPL and also a cup final appearance. Has said he would like to try the English League. Could be the next Owen Coyle!

Have to say that I'm not particularly wedded to anyone (however, please don't interpret that as accepting the status quo!!!).

Despite being in Division 3 we're still a pretty decent catch, relatively speaking of course, and much will depend on how much wonga and pulling power the new lot can bring to the party.

A few names on here sound as they though could do the job, a few I'm not sure about, but I'll be supporting whoever lands the job for next season (even if it is Wotte!!!).

Agree - Dowie is vastly over-rated. He only has one thing to his name and that was getting Palace from the bottom of Championship to promotion and by all accounts this was due to having a really good number two and an Australian rugby fitness coach. Everything else he has touched has been a disaster.

tisdale, ince, cotterill or possibly bothroyd - in that order are all better bets IMO

Do remind me what has Iain Dowie touched that has been a "disaster"?

Certainly not Charlton, certainly not Coventry where he did better than Coleman has with less money, and certainly not QPR where they did no better before or after him.

There is a slight question mark over why he has changed so many jobs but Steve Bruce had a funny reputation for a time as well. Dowie just needs to settle somewhere, and if he settles with us, we'll be promoted, and a solid CCC level proposition in no time at all.

Voted that whoever the new owner regards as right for the club I would support.

But would not object to Dowie, Tisdale or indeed Boothroyd as options.

I quite like Wotte but like everything else, I would much prefer a complete break from the past.

However, I would be very guarded about Ince for the simple reason that I think he feels that he is a cut above and would be off without a second thought if a higher league club came knocking - I would love to see stability for once !

I quite like Wotte but like everything else, I would much prefer a complete break from the past.

Wotte is Lowes man. We all need to move on from the Lowe issue and i'm afraid Wotte is intrinsicly linked with the past. If he does well Lowe will be brought up, if he does badly Lowe will be brought up. I agree with you completely.

Depending on the set up of the new board, we could be one of the most inexperienced clubs at board level in the whole of the English league. We will therefore need an experienced manager, used to running a club, not just coaching the team. Now is not the time for an up and coming manager. Somebody like Alan Curbishley or Steve Coppell (doubt either would join us) needs to be installed and told they have 5 years, as per Pinnacles business plan, to get us back into the Premiership and a proper top flight club from top to bottom.

Depending on the set up of the new board, we could be one of the most inexperienced clubs at board level in the whole of the English league. We will therefore need an experienced manager, used to running a club, not just coaching the team. Now is not the time for an up and coming manager. Somebody like Alan Curbishley or Steve Coppell (doubt either would join us) needs to be installed and told they have 5 years, as per Pinnacles business plan, to get us back into the Premiership and a proper top flight club from top to bottom.

the rate takeovers are happening, within a month we will have one of the most experienced boards!

We are in the third tier, I don't think your expectations are realistic

I agree with you totally on the problem we will face and the reasons for the need for someone with experience. Whether the two names are feasible is another matter though.

The club had kept much of the PL behind the scenes infrastructure on the playing side. Costs for chef's at Darwin Lodge, through to cleaners at Staplewood. A huge amount of work needs to be done to ensure that we keep the critical "machinery" that creates the young players, whilst making sure that we cut our cloth expense wise to the income we will receive in L1.

That surgery has to be done by a Football man, not an Accountant, the back office football costs need to be pruned so they can regrow as we hopefully move back up the leagues, they cannot simply be amputated.

THAT needs somebody who has been at a bigger operation as well as at the smaller clubs, that experience is going to be critical to our future IF as we all wish the investment goes into the first team squad and not old sacred cows

IMHO it is going to need to be a little more than just coaching and motivating players and getting them fit.

As for who it should be, I'll just go with the "it's their club now" their choice line

Depending on the set up of the new board, we could be one of the most inexperienced clubs at board level in the whole of the English league.

Depending on the set up of the new board, we could be the most experienced clubs at board level in the whole of the English league.

Being that you haven't the faintest idea of who might be on our new board, god knows where you think you can make those kinds of statements.

Ronnie Moore for me.

I would be happy with Tisdale, provided he had an "older head" as asst. Not sure how much he relies on Perryman at Exeter, but personally I'd like a asst thats been around the game a while.

I think comparisons with Martin O Neil are a bit much at present. Yes, O Neil started in the lower leagues, however he was a top class player. Played in European Finals and a World Cup. He was Captain of the NI 1982 in Spain I believe. He also played in the top flight under a genius. O Neil may not have needed an older head to help him, but I think Tisdale will.

Ronnie Moore for me.

Me too!! I'm amazed that he his not listed and amazed that Bury's Alan Knill hasn't. AK has been nominated many times on all different threads (even if they have all come from 70's Mike ;)).

Edited by krissyboy31

Their money maybe...still our club...

Well, not really. Only in the sense that we support our club. It's not ours any more than it was under Lowe/Wilde/Crouch... In fact, in a legal sense it's even less so.

Ince all the way, he did a great job in the lower leagues for Macclesfield and MK Dons

..I think you'll find that Ray Mathius his no2 is the brains of the outfit, Ince is just the big 'name'.

I hope MLT does not become manager; I'd prefer him to stay "above the fray". I would just hate to see MLT subjected to the kind of carping criticism from the more negative section of Saints fans that inevitably (and to some degree understandably) goes with the role of manager.

I tend to think that it wouldn't be a bad thing to keep Wotte for now and see what he can do after a proper pre-season. On the other hand, new blood wouldn't be a bad idea. In that case, give me a younger manager with passion and something to prove, someone like Tisdale or Ince.

In the end though, I think the most important thing is for the whole fan base to just get behind whoever the new regime appoint as manager and give him at least 6 months to "have a go" before starting to question and criticise!!

Dowie has been a continuous failure - he's just a 'name' nothing more.......

Assuming Coppell is completely unrealistic it has to be Dowie or Tisdale IMO.

Both have some affection for the club. Both are young and hungry to prove themselves. Both have achieved promotions as a manager. Neither comes with any particular baggage or controversy and neither is likely to bugger-off somewhere else unless they have done a really good job for us.