Southend

krissyboy31

Looks like they will be entering administration on Wednesday because of dire financial position. They were facing a winding up order from HMRC but now been changed to an administration order. Another minus 10 team in our division and we wont be the only ones in League 1A on Soccer AM any more!

BTW they would go to the bottom of the league and we will be 4th bottom on the brink of the relegation safety zone.

Edited by krissyboy31

Looks like they will be entering administration on Wednesday because of dire financial position. They were facing a winding up order from HMRC but now been changed to an administration order. Another minus 10 team in our division and we wont be the only ones in League 1A on Soccer AM any more!

BTW they would go to the bottom of the league and we will be 4th bottom on the brink of the relegation safety zone.

They already have a transfer embargo in, will lose their top player in janurary (Barnard) and won't be able to replace them, unless taken over quickly.

Doesn't look good at all for them.

Sorry, I cant wish what we've been thru on any other team, except maybe the blue slime down the M27...

Who else are struggling at the mo?

Stockport - who are still in admin as far as i know? If it drags on much longer then the league could hit more deductions on them.

Leyton Orient have been struggling for a few years, millwall aren't exactly flush with cash and i don't think Tranmere are that far from admin either.

bit of a mess in these lower leagues - and it's not really down to overspending either.

Then you look up at clubs like portsmouth (a fine example at the moment) who overspend beyond their means, have had 2 owners already this season and there is talk of another...and still haven't had any punishment.

Sorry, I cant wish what we've been thru on any other team, except maybe the blue slime down the M27...

To be fair I don't think the original poster was celebrating the fact that they're going into admin, just pointing out the positive effects for us. I agree though - wouldn't wish that experience on anyone.

Another good club on its uppers - And can hardly be regarded as having overspent either..

Shame and I wish them well..

I'm a bit confused, why are the almost in Admin, if they haven't been living beyond their means?

All the best to them and I hope they don't get wound up, but as far as i can see it they must have been spending more than their income for this too happen. (Much like us before Markus stepped in).

Do Bournemouth still have a transfer embargo.

forgot about them...yep they do.

What an amazing job Howe has done down there though, they have a squad of like 13 professionals - they even had to resort to having their assistant manager playing in midfield...and they're still top of the league.

To be fair I don't think the original poster was celebrating the fact that they're going into admin, just pointing out the positive effects for us. I agree though - wouldn't wish that experience on anyone.

No I definitely wasn't celebrating. The positives for us were a bit facetious but meant tongue-in-cheek but I wouldn't wish them what we've been through. They have already had to send Friend back to Wolves (the guy who scored the FK against us) and things look pretty bleak. As others have said, they've hardly over spent or seem to be living outside their means (well no more than any of the lower division teams).

I'm a bit confused, why are the almost in Admin, if they haven't been living beyond their means?

All the best to them and I hope they don't get wound up, but as far as i can see it they must have been spending more than their income for this too happen. (Much like us before Markus stepped in).

But ALL clubs live beyond their means. The big clubs do but the banks let them get away with it. Those with benefactors do but as long as said benefactor is happy to keep funding the club, much like ourselves, then they are okay. All of the others, even those with decent fan bases are propped up by overdrafts and the goodwill of local businessmen and the supporters. Once the banks call in the overdraft facility, the house of cards come crashing down.

As has been said before. If you owe the banks a couple of million, you've got a problem. If you owe them tens of millions, like the big clubs do, the bank has the problem.

They've been there before too. Funnily enough, as with us, it appears to be the best thing that ever happened to them.

Agree about not wishing admin on anyone else. We appear to have been so damn lucky.

Firstly, good luck to Southend. All Saints supporters will sympathize with their predicament.

In any event let's hope it doesn't end with a winding up order, not only for Southend's sake, but for us too as our excellent three points at their place would be expunged if they go out of business.

Of course if it's admin then perhaps we could put them in touch with a certain Mark Fry who could no doubt pop round to Roots Hall from his nearby office. Then again from what we hear maybe we might give that a miss, after all Southend have done us no harm!

BTW, love the picture of their chairman on their website, he looks a proper Essex wide boy, and check out the ancient wooden seats with the crudely painted seat numbers he is sitting in. I remember seats like that at the Dell in the sixties!

Hope it turns out okay for them, as clubs like Southend are the lifeblood of football in this country in many ways...

Poor old Southend...

funnily we have them last game of the season at home next year in May........could be game that sends us into the play offs...sound familiar anyone?

I'll say. Their fans were brilliant on that day - ready to celebrate with us, and what a difference from the Leeds fans, was it the week before? Good luck to them.

This news makes very sad news. I've always had a soft spot of Southend and remember happy days in my distant childhood there. But more so, it shows just how sick the game has become when decent clubs like ourselves and others suffer so badly when the real profiteers and criminals of the big clubs get off scotfree. Let's tax the big transfer fees and give it back to the game and the small clubs who do all the hard work in training players.

Alpine, you've not contacted me as I requested. Email me.

Sad news indeed. Not long ago but I'll always remember the fantastic atmosphere when we played Southend the last league game of the season in 2006. We beat them to get into the play-offs - they were already relegated. The shared chanting for Bally was brilliant - as was the way their fans clapped those of us who went passed their coaches after the game.

... what a difference from the Leeds fans, was it the week before? Good luck to them.

That was the year Leeds went down. Son & I were on the train back from So'ton as far as Oxford after the game. The train was going on to Leeds, and was packed with them. We beat them 1-0 and they all knew they were going down. Never met such a miserable bunch in my life. But can you blame them? Champion's League to third division in the blink of an eye. Even I felt sorry for them.

This news makes very sad news. I've always had a soft spot of Southend and remember happy days in my distant childhood there. But more so, it shows just how sick the game has become when decent clubs like ourselves and others suffer so badly when the real profiteers and criminals of the big clubs get off scotfree. Let's tax the big transfer fees and give it back to the game and the small clubs who do all the hard work in training players.

Alpine, you've not contacted me as I requested. Email me.

E-mail on its way, ART. :)

I have a bet of a crate of beer with a Saafend supporting mate that we would finish higher in the league than them...a safe bet according to him as we had -10 points at the time....so good news in that respect.

but..dont mind Southend as a club so sad to see them in a ****e position.