Southend

krissyboy31

http://www.southendunited.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10444~1838744,00.html

Chairmans statement.

I quite like southend, i'd never wish admin on anyone tbh - we were bloody lucky, but could have so easily been starting in the blue square.

Poor buggers. Nobody deserves it, but the way the Premier League is bleeding the rest of the Football League dry this is no surprise. Market forces are not going to help, and there are no strong forces in the FA or elsewhere who are remotely likely to change things before it all goes to pot. Because it will eventually.

Will they get -10 points though?

I thought we only got -10 because we declared ourselves in administration after certain date? Could be I've got it wrong...but didn't Stockport have -10 hanging over them from last season too?

Bloody rules - where's the consistency?

I thought we only got -10 because we declared ourselves in administration after certain date? Could be I've got it wrong...but didn't Stockport have -10 hanging over them from last season too?

No Stockport's was applied last season but they already had enough points to mean it didn't affect there status in League 1. I believe they are still in admin and could possibly get additional points if their CVA is not accepted.

If they go into administration after the 2nd week in march..

A)...and they end up avoiding relegation, then the 10pts are carried over to the current season. So possibly relegating them anyway, if they survive by less than 10 pts.

B) If they are down anyway - the points carry over the following season, like us.

Stockport went into admin just before march, so got the points that current season. Same will happen to southend, they will get an immediate points deduction.

but yeah i agree - it's a mess. (blame leeds though, they tried to manipulate the rules and the FA made these changes...)

Really shame for all the clubs in trouble at the moment, I know from what we went through this summer we wouldn't wish that on any football supporters with the exception of you know who. Looks like the HMRC has the knives out for football clubs at the moment.

As for Stockport County they went into Administration on the 30/04/09 weeks after us, however the 10 points were given last season. We got the points deduction this year because we were relegated anyway.

No one seems to know up here what is going on at County. I know they still have a significant football debt & problems with priority over the pitch with the ground owners Sale Sharks. An ex City player took them over, but it was about 2/3 months after it was found out they were still in administration ???? Whilst I don't want clubs docked points I just wish I understood how the Football League administer these things.

If they go into administration after the 2nd week in march..

A)...and they end up avoiding relegation, then the 10pts are carried over to the current season. So possibly relegating them anyway, if they survive by less than 10 pts.

B) If they are down anyway - the points carry over the following season, like us.

Stockport went into admin just before march, so got the points that current season. Same will happen to southend, they will get an immediate points deduction.

but yeah i agree - it's a mess. (blame leeds though, they tried to manipulate the rules and the FA made these changes...)

No, Stockport went into admin after Saints. They got it in the current season because they still had a chance of getting relegated on the last day of the season. But something stupid had to happen like they had to lose 15-0.

No, Stockport went into admin after Saints. They got it in the current season because they still had a chance of getting relegated on the last day of the season. But something stupid had to happen like they had to lose 15-0.

But even if there had been no chance of them being relegated, the penalty would still have applied last year. It only gets carried over if the team finishes in the relegation zone without the penalty (eg Saints last year).

Just been reported on Sky that HMRC has been paid the 2.1 million & have no further interest in Southend. So they've saved the day & no administration. Pleased for them that they don't have to suffer like us.

If only all adminstration escapes were that simple....

This news makes very sad news. I've always had a soft spot of Southend and remember happy days in my distant childhood there. But more so, it shows just how sick the game has become when decent clubs like ourselves and others suffer so badly when the real profiteers and criminals of the big clubs get off scotfree. Let's tax the big transfer fees and give it back to the game and the small clubs who do all the hard work in training players.

Its an appalling situation that the fat cats sit on the top of the heap stuffing huge sums of money into their pockets while the rest of football struggles to survive. The money only comes from in the massive quantities it does because of TV and the return of so much of it to just a few players, managers and agents is a scandal. There is a suggestion that some of the wealthy owners in the Abramovich class are beginning to get fed up with seeing their money being handed out to those who have their snouts in the trough. Thats probably the best hope of change, that those bankrolling the system get tired of doing it, because it doesn't look like the people running the game will do it, as they are down at the trough themselves. The game's best hope at present is Platini, but his chances of success might be slim.

This was a statement they released on Saturday:

Southend United Football Club has today issued the following statement:

The Club's Chairman, Ron Martin, has today (3pm) confirmed that one of his Group Companies has now paid, in full, the tax due to HMRC in the sum of £2.1m thereby removing the threat of administration.

The funds were being held by the Revenue's solicitors and at lunchtime today they have been released.

A further, more detailed, statement will be made next week.

So we couldn't honour a relatively small cheque (supposedly) and Barclays 'force' us into Admin almost immediately, whereas Southend couldn;t honour their sizeable debt to HMRC and they get several days (weeks?) to sort it out.

Not that I'm complaining of course....

So we couldn't honour a relatively small cheque (supposedly) and Barclays 'force' us into Admin almost immediately, whereas Southend couldn;t honour their sizeable debt to HMRC and they get several days (weeks?) to sort it out.

Weeks, days, hours, minutes, seconds.... it made all the same to Pre-Markus Saints.... debts could not be paid... end of...such was the dire position of the club.

Its an appalling situation that the fat cats sit on the top of the heap stuffing huge sums of money into their pockets while the rest of football struggles to survive. The money only comes from in the massive quantities it does because of TV and the return of so much of it to just a few players, managers and agents is a scandal. There is a suggestion that some of the wealthy owners in the Abramovich class are beginning to get fed up with seeing their money being handed out to those who have their snouts in the trough. Thats probably the best hope of change, that those bankrolling the system get tired of doing it, because it doesn't look like the people running the game will do it, as they are down at the trough themselves. The game's best hope at present is Platini, but his chances of success might be slim.

I would like to see a European club tournament played every four years (obviously a lot of finer details to be decided). It would get rid of the annual footbal gravy train that benefits a few clubs but has an inflationary effect on costs for all clubs. It's keeping up with bank, company or state rolled European clubs that has caused the wages to jump so dramatically since the conception on the CL. For what, there are so many European games that the seasons are staring to merge in my mind and there isn't anything special about it anymore.

Limiting international players is not the answer either full time European League or less european football, the big clubs shoud be forced to decided between the two. But of course UEFA don't want to lose control.

Pompey owed HMRC about £10m, not sure how long its taken them to run up that debt but more than a few weeks I would guess...