Jeremy Clarkson sacked by the BBC

Saint-Armstrong

VIDEO: James May's response -

I think they'll go to another channel using a different format and fail badly. Top Gears whole schtick was based around blokes having a laugh and fun with new toys. Thats doesnt really work so well when all the presenters have been doing it for 20 years and are in their 50s.

"Package" is probably a good way to describe them! But a tragedy is what happened in the Alps yesterday and I am disappointed that a grown and intelligent man thinks that what Clarkson did was okay and could have been dealt with differently. If it had been on the street or a pub with lesser mortals that person could well have spent the night behind bars.

"Package" is probably a good way to describe them! But a tragedy is what happened in the Alps yesterday and I am disappointed that a grown and intelligent man thinks that what Clarkson did was okay and could have been dealt with differently. If it had been on the street or a pub with lesser mortals that person could well have spent the night behind bars.

******** would they have spent the night behind bars. I've been punched numerous times and punched others numerous times and never been arrested.

'Tragedy' perhaps an insensitive word, but looking a the his past interviews he's not overly comfortable being interviewed in public and I'm sure it wasn't meant to denigrate yesterday's crash.

I do like May and Clarkson has some good moments, Hammond though p*sses me off and tries too hard to be funny.

I quite like some of Bruno Senna's TV work and wouldn't mind someone like that on the show. Obviously he is a driver and would need to be complemented by presenters with more broadcasting charisma but someone like that would be good.

Thing is, I don't really know anyone who bothered by a boring review anyway, most people are loyal(ish) to certain brands and wouldn't touch other brands. My current cars, one I bought new in June and the other new in October. I didn't read any reviews, I just went to drive them and liked them and then bought.

I honestly suspect that's the same for most people who buy a car? I might be wrong though, some people may be swayed as to whether one boring looking car is marginally better than another boring looking car.

And let's be honest, unless you're buying some ridiculously priced car, they are all pretty dull to look at and pretty much the same to drive now.

I have sympathy with this view but dont agree with last point though. There can be quite a difference in how apparently similar cars drive / ride / handle and I have had this quite high up my list of requirements when buying, funds permitting. Take the three main German premium hatchbacks as an example. The new A class looks very smart (IMO) and is certainly expensive, but almost every review says its quite "wooden" to drive, with limited feedback and a tendency to understeer. The Audi A3 is similar. The BMW 1 series, arguably the least good looking, wins on the driveability comparison by some margin.

Yes, this will not matter to some buyers of course, and other factors may be more important. But if I was spending £25k plus on a new one of these, or even £10k on a used one, I would want it to drive better than some of them do.

I have sympathy with this view but dont agree with last point though. There can be quite a difference in how apparently similar cars drive / ride / handle and I have had this quite high up my list of requirements when buying, funds permitting. Take the three main German premium hatchbacks as an example. The new A class looks very smart (IMO) and is certainly expensive, but almost every review says its quite "wooden" to drive, with limited feedback and a tendency to understeer. The Audi A3 is similar. The BMW 1 series, arguably the least good looking, wins on the driveability comparison by some margin.

Yes, this will not matter to some buyers of course, and other factors may be more important. But if I was spending £25k plus on a new one of these, or even £10k on a used one, I would want it to drive better than some of them do.

Tv programmes dont really do this kind of information any more simply because places on the innernet like Parkers and Carbuyer do it better and more comprehensively than they ever could.

Clarkson is a major accident waiting to happen. In addition to not being able to keep his d!ck in his trousers when away from home, I happen to have a personal friend who works with him and arranges the supply of certain substances for him, as well. A real piece of self absorbed cr@p.

Clarkson is a major accident waiting to happen. In addition to not being able to keep his d!ck in his trousers when away from home, I happen to have a personal friend who works with him and arranges the supply of certain substances for him, as well. A real piece of self absorbed cr@p.

Potentially libellous...

Okay, that's my point.

On our roads, who notices understeer/oversteer? Genuinely? More often than not we're sat in traffic, following bikes round bends, stopping at traffic lights, bouncing over potholes etc etc etc. These reviews are just a little pointless in this country - the average person 1) wouldn't know what understeer was and 2) wouldn't experience it.

******** would they have spent the night behind bars. I've been punched numerous times and punched others numerous times and never been arrested.

'Tragedy' perhaps an insensitive word, but looking a the his past interviews he's not overly comfortable being interviewed in public and I'm sure it wasn't meant to denigrate yesterday's crash.

Then you are very lucky. Police cells are full of people up on common assault charges at the weekend.

I am sure he didn't mean anything about yesterday's plane crash. But using the word tragedy in association with Clarkson's situation is completely over the top.

Is it truly a 'tragedy' as James May claims ? On the day after an airliner flew into a mountain, surely he could have been more circumspect ?

I expect he considered the airline disaster and then set out to deliberately undermine it with his choice of words. The heartless fiend.

A & E?? Walk in Centre surely? Seems a waste of resources for a split lip.

What for a split lip ? Christ

I enjoyed these replies, gentlemen - but mostly because they got me thinking about the possible alternatives in mind.

You've the old classic, the "tis but a flesh wound" approach, which is something of a gamble because your lip is bust open and you might end up with a bigger scar than you'd need.

Then there's a possible DIY approach.

Finally, I suppose we could keep GPs open at all hours, instead of centralising emergency resources in hospitals that have better A&E facilities. Y'know, just to cover those split lips or other injuries you may consider frivolous.

"Because that's good resource planning."

Loving the suggestion of Guy Martin as a new presenter. Would be pretty perfect - his BBC and C4 shows have been excellent. And unlike, say, Chris Evans he would have genuine credibility.

A non racist, non-xenophobic non - public schoolboy bullying reactionary Top Gear? Gosh.

Though not my favourite person....I hope Clarkson gets a big redundancy settlement, and a new contract from ITV .....with an even bigger salary....

I can't see how he'd get a redundancy settlement. His contract was about to expire and the BBC chose not to renew it. That's not the same as redundancy.

I am a soothsayer, this makes me sad

In fairness I am not sure what you expect people to put on a thread about a plane crash, especially as it doesn't really have any strong link to the UK.

All forum threads are meaningless, one about a plane crash isn't really any less meaningless. Let's remember football is not as important as people dying either and there are loads of posts about that on here.

I can't see how he'd get a redundancy settlement. His contract was about to expire and the BBC chose not to renew it. That's not the same as redundancy.

This. I am shortly joining a law firm so if they need another employment law expert, David, dont wait by the phone ;)

From an HR perspective I'm surprised in many aspects . That this has outcome has not be kept confidential unless some form of compromise agreement has been agreed . They don't say he has been sacked but contract not being renewed after it runs out next week . So in essence he has not been fired . I know it's a technicality . Punching An employee is an act of gross misconduct

I guess there has been no formal disciplinary hearing just an agreement between the beeb and clarksons to leave

I see North Yorkshire police are now looking into the case.

The producer concerned apparently drove 50 miles to the hospital and then back again . As others have said no wonder A&E is clogged up . Dud the BBC not have a medical team on site as part of the production team ?

Finally driving home this evening listening to 5 live and they were on about the guy from one direction leaving . Talking to all these fans etc asking how they felt , why they felt he left etc etc . I have know idea what there music is like etc so hopefully no more supermarkets selling one direction Easter eggs etc etc

Meanwhile in other real news , sadly 155 people lists their lives in a tragic air crash

That is news not wall to wall post Mortims on some pop star who has left some manufactured pop group