Jeremy Clarkson sacked by the BBC

Saint-Armstrong

People on SWF say really weird things sometimes.

Indeed. I can understand people wanting JC sacked and I can understand people wanting him back but I can't understand giving him a financial reward for physically assaulting someone.

I don't want him on ITV as ITV is sh*te and haven't broadcast anything decent since they lost the F1 coverage 6 years ago. They would probably have Cheryl presenting it along with some metrosexual tw*t from Corrie.

Loving the suggestion of Guy Martin as a new presenter. Would be pretty perfect - his BBC and C4 shows have been excellent. And unlike, say, Chris Evans he would have genuine credibility.

A non racist, non-xenophobic non - public schoolboy bullying reactionary Top Gear? Gosh.

That would be entertaining but there would be complaints about his accent, and the cutting room floor would be littered with nawty words.

I wonder if this is a blessing in disguise for the BBC. No doubt Clarkson has made them a crapload of money over the years, but both he and May are looking like older gentlemen now. If not now, when?

We'll see, but I reckon Jezza's appeal was on the wane in any case. Jeremy finally pushed the button. Well, smacked someone in the gob, but it amounts to the same thing. BBC missed a trick by just letting his contract lapse. They should have sent Alan Sugar around with a film crew to sack him on his doorstep.

"You're fired!"

TV gold slips through the Beeb's fingers once again.

Is ok to call people slopes and n*ggers and hit people in the mouth after the watershed?

Obviously not but they always seemed to be teetering around language and content which was a bit 'edgy for prime time' shall we say.

AS JBS alluded to, I'd bet the TG cutting room is littered with colourful language and inappropriate remarks about what they really think of some cars or situations.

Whilst I have enjoyed Top Gear Clarkson in particular has become to predicatble and to repetitive. His actions are as others have said unnaceptable and amount to assult at the least, instant dismissal for the vast majority of people. Clarksons star will fade after this, he is a one trick pony.

There could be collateral damage of quite a few people losing their jobs because of this , not just Clarkson.

Shame he didn't think of that before he launched his tirade and fist. But then why would he. His steak and chips were far more important.

Shame he didn't think of that before he launched his tirade and fist. But then why would he. His steak and chips were far more important.

Come on, he was drunk, he got in a fight with his producer, he's been (rightly) sacked. Thinking of whether others would lose their jobs whilst that leathered is not something many, if any, people would do.

Nice to see you being so supportive UJ but we aren't talking about a 16 year old here. He is supposed to be a grown man who understands that certain actions have consequences. As much as you admire him it would be nice if you accepted that he is totally up his own b*m and doesn't give a flying f*ck about anyone other than himself?

Whilst I have enjoyed Top Gear Clarkson in particular has become to predicatble and to repetitive. His actions are as others have said unnaceptable and amount to assult at the least, instant dismissal for the vast majority of people. Clarksons star will fade after this, he is a one trick pony.

Sadly I think you are wrong. Characters like Clarkson fed on notoriety and his market value has just gone up big time. There are plenty of people who love him for doing things like this (plenty on this site ;) ) and you can bet there are producers sitting around right now thinking about how they can use him on TV. He also has plenty of other jobs on the go.

Ross and Russell continued to work after their Andrew Sachs "jape" and probably found their earnings going up as a result.

Wonder what Julian Clary thinks of this though. All he did was make an off colour joke about being late to an awards ceremony because he was fisting Norman Lamont and his career nosed dived.

There could be collateral damage of quite a few people losing their jobs because of this , not just Clarkson.

Looks like it has already started on the clear out. Richard Porter (script writer) has gone according to his Twitter account.

Wonder what Julian Clary thinks of this though. All he did was make an off colour joke about being late to an awards ceremony because he was fisting Norman Lamont and his career nosed dived.

The successful author, large venue filling stand up, prime time TV show presenting, Radio 4/QI panel show stalwart, Strictly contestant Julian Clary? That Julian Clary?

I think he may possibly have recovered from that incident more than 20 years ago.

I can't actually remember him be sacked from anything at the time anyway.

script writer

That's why i don't like Top Gear. I mean, if the lame banter was off the cuff, it would sort of be ok. If Richard Hammond's lawnmower genuinely did break down on the final lap, or catch fire, or whatever else, that would be kind of interesting. But if you're just going to make the whole thing up, surely you could come up with something more exciting?

That's why i don't like Top Gear. I mean, if the lame banter was off the cuff, it would sort of be ok. If Richard Hammond's lawnmower genuinely did break down on the final lap, or catch fire, or whatever else, that would be kind of interesting. But if you're just going to make the whole thing up, surely you could come up with something more exciting?

Thats my problem with it too. Its on the tv occasionally because my 12 year old likes it, so every six months or so I watch it and enjoy the first 10 minutes or so until you remember how it all inevitably goes and lose interest again.

That's why i not like Top Gear. I mean, if lame bantz was off the cuff, it would +ok. If RHammoz lawnmower genuinely break down on final laps, or catch fire, or whatevz, that is +interesting. But if youz gonna to make whole ting up, you could come up with something +exciting?

Fixed it for you.

They get 3 Mini Coopers, and convert them so one runs on piss, one runs on jizz, and one runs on blood. They have race. Piss is the least effective fuel source, but Clarkson can produce it in large quantities. Jizz is the best fuel, but Richard The Hamster Hammond is struggling to produce much, until he catches sight of his own face in the rear-view mirror. Blood is somewhere in the middle, but James May has an artery hooked directly to the fuel tank, and it's touch and go if he'll make it to the finish line before he dies. That's just off the top of my head.

Nice to see you being so supportive UJ but we aren't talking about a 16 year old here. He is supposed to be a grown man who understands that certain actions have consequences. As much as you admire him it would be nice if you accepted that he is totally up his own b*m and doesn't give a flying f*ck about anyone other than himself?

I don't particularly admire him, and i know he doesn't, but I think many people would be like that. If you've ever been drunk, then I don't believe you'd have thought any more than about your own and your families consequences, and certainly not Val the tea lady.

The successful author, large venue filling stand up, prime time TV show presenting, Radio 4/QI panel show stalwart, Strictly contestant Julian Clary? That Julian Clary?

I think he may possibly have recovered from that incident more than 20 years ago.

I can't actually remember him be sacked from anything at the time anyway.

He may well have done but has talked extensively about how that incident "cleared his diary" and about how he was banned from live TV.

I don't particularly admire him, and i know he doesn't, but I think many people would be like that. If you've ever been drunk, then I don't believe you'd have thought any more than about your own and your families consequences, and certainly not Val the tea lady.

I just made the point because Hatch said there would be collateral damage and others could lose their jobs too.

He may well have done but has talked extensively about how that incident "cleared his diary" and about how he was banned from live TV.

He was also a pretty niche C4 celeb at the time, with nothing like the profile of Clarkson now.

So I find it unlikely Clary will make any strong connection between his circumstance 22 years ago and Clarkson's.

I remember him being very big at that time. Perhaps not a stellar star as Clarkson but he was very well known - even more so after his remark as The Mail and Sun tried to get him banned from TV.

As neither of us know what he thinks about the Clarkson situation against his we cant take that any further, but he only lives a couple of miles down the road from me so next time I see him I will ask him and report back.

They get 3 Mini Coopers, and convert them so one runs on piss, one runs on jizz, and one runs on blood. They have race. Piss is the least effective fuel source, but Clarkson can produce it in large quantities. Jizz is the best fuel, but Richard The Hamster Hammond is struggling to produce much, until he catches sight of his own face in the rear-view mirror. Blood is somewhere in the middle, but James May has an artery hooked directly to the fuel tank, and it's touch and go if he'll make it to the finish line before he dies. That's just off the top of my head.

BBC has it's new producer. That is burnt gold

Absolutely brilliant, you're wasted on here!!

Clarkson, May and Hammond in talks with sky about a doing a show with a similar format to top gear.... Called top speed.

Have no idea if true.

Where did you hear this? They are still under contract to the Beeb. Unless you're making this up, I get confused by the layers of irony and in jokes on here. I would say there's zero truth in this.

Where did you hear this? They are still under contract to the Beeb. Unless you're making this up, I get confused by the layers of irony and in jokes on here. I would say there's zero truth in this.

For 2 more days. Most fixed term contracts allow you to talk to others for a short period before your contract expires.

For 2 more days. Most fixed term contracts allow you to talk to others for a short period before your contract expires.

Not most - all. No one on contract at the BBC waits until expiry to line up their next one. It would be career suicide - much like (usually) punching one of your colleagues.

• 2 weeks later...
Death threats about Clarkson being given the flick. Feck me. I think some people need to get some perspective in their life.

Weren't the X-Factor judges getting death threats a few years ago for not voting Jedward off the show, or something ridiculous like that. There are some sad nutters out there. Most of them are probably harmless enough, just with some weird inferiority complex and chronic lack of attention.

Clarkson set to appear on the BBC again after all. Going to be a presenter on an episode of Have I Got News For You

A field day for Merton and Hislop plus no doubt a spike in viewing figures. I'm reasonably surprised Clarkson agreed to it.

A field day for Merton and Hislop plus no doubt a spike in viewing figures. I'm reasonably surprised Clarkson agreed to it.

With an ego that size, why wouldn't he? I don't understand how they feel they can sack him then put him back on the screen within a few weeks. Mind you Ross still takes the Queens shilling on Radio 2. Shame the BBC don't have the courage of their convictions. It is a shame too that the police have dropped the case. One again there is one rule for the celebrities and another for us plebs.

Because he was only sacked from Top Gear. Although he wasn't actually sacked - he just didn't get his contract renewed.

So he crossed a line but only a small line, one not big enough to prevent him working for his employers again. The Beeb have bottled it.