If Ronald goes...

alpine_saint

How else do you think odds are decided?

Sky in particular are very good at starting a rumour to generate interest and bets.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Not all books are created in traditional way. They will have someone who oversees all their manager and transfer specials I'm sure. Such an information market they can't afford to purely set book against money staked.

We all know about odds being based on a mixture of the amount of bets placed PLUS an assessment of how likely it is to happen. It's the 'groundless speculation' I was interested in. You seem very sure of this aspect but doubt you are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bookies have a network of inside sources

They may well do but its pretty easy to reduce someones odds, punters fall in the trap and put their money on that person then all of a sudden, as often happens, their odds drift further and further away.

How many of them had Raneri right for the Leicester job or that Moyes was a shoe in at Villa ?

I never bet on transfers or manager appointments simply because the markets can be manipulated so easily with rumours in the popular press.

Generate a rumour, reduce the odds to make it look credible, rake in the bets and then laugh all the way to the bank when the rumour is seen to have no legs.

If the bookies do have information that is genuine, the odds will crash to nothing very quickly or the market will be closed. They want bets on unlikely outcomes, not probable ones.

They may well do but its pretty easy to reduce someones odds, punters fall in the trap and put their money on that person then all of a sudden, as often happens, their odds drift further and further away.

How many of them had Raneri right for the Leicester job or that Moyes was a shoe in at Villa ?

Exactly.

To be honest, after the last few seasons I've learned to just wait until it happens, see what the club do if they need to and then support the team and manager next season. More concerned with what we do this weekend than if Ron stays or goes to Everton. It'll all work out eventually.

This. I don't get some people's thinking that it is a good thing if he sees out his contract. Teams always under perform if they know the manager is leaving. If he doesn't sign he has to go.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Yet by the same token some people are suggesting we keep Victor (and Clyne at the time) and let him walk on a free.

I never bet on transfers or manager appointments simply because the markets can be manipulated so easily with rumours in the popular press.

Generate a rumour, reduce the odds to make it look credible, rake in the bets and then laugh all the way to the bank when the rumour is seen to have no legs.

If the bookies do have information that is genuine, the odds will crash to nothing very quickly or the market will be closed. They want bets on unlikely outcomes, not probable ones.

odds are also skewed by Harry Redknapp putting oodles of cash on the possibility of him going where he knows he is going

Yet by the same token some people are suggesting we keep Victor (and Clyne at the time) and let him walk on a free.

It's a bit different with players. Firstly, they have to perform to get the best move they can. Second, knowing the manager is off seems to affect squads psychologically but players are seen as part of the churn other than in exceptional circumstances.

It's a bit different with players. Firstly, they have to perform to get the best move they can. Second, knowing the manager is off seems to affect squads psychologically but players are seen as part of the churn other than in exceptional circumstances.

There is another scenario with this that everybody seems to be overlooking. What if Koeman stays for the final year of his contract and works closely with the board to identify his successor, working directly with them all to provide some continuity? It's what Man U did with Fergie and Moyes. OK it didn't work out for them because, as it turned out, Moyes wasn't up to the job. But to me it seems the most effective way of dealing with the situation, rather than making a knee-jerk decision to remove the manager and starting from scratch again with a search for a new one.

There is another scenario with this that everybody seems to be overlooking. What if Koeman stays for the final year of his contract and works closely with the board to identify his successor, working directly with them all to provide some continuity? It's what Man U did with Fergie and Moyes. OK it didn't work out for them because, as it turned out, Moyes wasn't up to the job. But to me it seems the most effective way of dealing with the situation, rather than making a knee-jerk decision to remove the manager and starting from scratch again with a search for a new one.

So FdB to join our coaching staff for next season ten eh? [emoji848]

I doubt Koeman would be nearly as involved as Fergie, who really was Man Utd in many ways, but that's a possibility. The only issue, as has been mentioned, is the possible psychological impact on the squad, but that's all in how you manage them. There's a Jupp Henyckes for every Pelligrini.

Edited by DuncanRG

• 2 weeks later...

If people are worried about Koeman leaving, perhaps time to bump this thread...

Anyway I was thinking, dangerous I know, but rumour has it Giggs may end his association with United under their new regime. If that is the case, would he be worth a punt as manager? Too risky?

Anyway I was thinking, dangerous I know, but rumour has it Giggs may end his association with United under their new regime. If that is the case, would he be worth a punt as manager? Too risky?

Too risky? Would be utter madness.

I'd give it 3 months before he copped off with a players wife.

Too risky for the wives of Southampton or our on pitch success?

No idea why Giggs would stroll into a good premier league job, he's done nothing.

There are a couple of precedents of Man Utd assistant bosses who have left to take managerial positions at other clubs... Steve McLaren and Brian Kidd.

On that basis, no thanks.

We could do a helluva lot worse than get Nigel Pearson back.

Thoughts ?

The bloke is an effing fruitcake and as such should be nowhere near our club. I can only presume you are baiting a hook for a spot of fishing and as such will ignore your suggestion unless you want to confirm your status as more of an oddball than Pearson himself.

Seeing as he's never been a manager, it would be utter suicide. Let a club like Leeds or Villa play that game, we're in a position where we could attract leading managers from Europe not amateurs.

I wouldn't be adverse to getting the current Seville manager in as a replacement if Ron was to leave (which he won't)

Agree - If we were to go abroad again, I'd certainly have Unai Emery & Jorge Sampaoli on my list.

Thomas Tuchel as well, but even optimistically, I'm not sure we could get the Dortmund coach to leave!

I wouldn't be adverse to getting the current Seville manager in as a replacement if Ron was to leave (which he won't)

It's been reported he is in talks with Everton.

That will go down well with the Liverpool fans after last week I expect :lol:

It's been reported he is in talks with Everton.

That will go down well with the Liverpool fans after last week I expect :lol:

It's ok, they've got Klopp. There is no one better in the world than him, ever. They're still massaging their Klopprections at the moment.

Eddie Howe but don't think that'll be feasible yet, so I'd either go for a talented English coach like Gary Rowett/Sean Dyche or go down the Dutch root again due to the Dutch players we have and think we might end up with even more if Ronald sees out his contract (which he has repeatedly said he'll do) and then go for Frank De Boer if he's available.

OMG Have you actually watched Burnley lately???

They are genuinely terrible...

Watched their last game of the season I think it was and if they strung two consecutive passes together the whole game It would be very surprising....Dych - not in a million years at this club and our level.... Sorry but NO