If Ronald goes...

alpine_saint

What has happened since has suggested it was perfect timing for Saints.

Pochettino inherited a good squad that Adkins had assembled and got more out of most of the players.

This. Poch' attention to detail and precision when it comes to closing down, pressing and organisation is second to none in the EPL IMO. We also looked fitter under Poch. Pressing seems a thing of the past for us now although it is better now than it was at the start of the season strangely. Only downside with Poch is that he didn't really have a plan B when he was at saints, now he does. Lots of our players improved need him and although he was more demanding than Koeman the players seemed to love playing for him. I didn't notice any of the days off for the players that Ron hands out happening under him (although it seems Koeman himself likes a day off too).

In response to the OP I would take Pellegrini or a young progressive thinking manager as others have eluded to

There are worrying opinions here on what coach/manager would work for us. We need to either keep Ronald or get a coach with dynamic ideas who wants to coach and develop players like Poch. One thing is for sure and that is if Ronald does leave, we should be able to get some of the best managers in the business outside the 'big' names attracted to work here, especially with the increase in revenue compared to other leagues and clubs.

Saints management will already have looked at options for if/when RK goes. Based on the last two appointments it will be done quickly and out of the media spotlight. Agree that we should be able to attract another good manager. Normally clubs sack a manager when they are in a mess. We just get ours poached by the big boys.

Pellegrini will go to Spurs when Poch moves to United. #fact*

*very obviously not a fact and clearly made up in my mind.

I guess it could happen though, like a lot of other things could happen. If Pellegrini wants to stay in the PL you could see a team like Everton flicking Martinez easily enough. Especially if they're getting some serious new backing from their major shareholder.

Koeman to tha Arse in today's papers along with Pelle to Lazio.

The Arsenal link has been mooted before but I wonder if RK has a succesful enough track record for their Board to be that keen. No doubt RK's dignified manner would be attraction to them (as opposed to the North London yobbo's track record with barrow boys and spivs) but is that enough ?

Koeman is just not that stupid.

Look at utd when Moyes tried to takeover from Ferguson after an eternity in charge.

There were major ruptures and the fans expectations were through the roof and still are through the roof.

Koeman is not going to leave us, where he's fully accepted, appreciated (by most fans) and go to Arse where it's entirely possible

he could find himself out the door in under a year and his reputation in tatters, by fans revolt and media BS.

If Ron is gonna leave, by the way, he's never once said he is, but if he's gonna leave, he's gonna leave but it won't be to arse.

Absolute b*llocks that is.

Pelle not too massively bothered about tbh.

Koeman is just not that stupid.

Look at utd when Moyes tried to takeover from Ferguson after an eternity in charge.

There were major ruptures and the fans expectations were through the roof and still are through the roof.

Koeman is not going to leave us, where he's fully accepted, appreciated (by most fans) and go to Arse where it's entirely possible

he could find himself out the door in under a year and his reputation in tatters, by fans revolt and media BS.

If Ron is gonna leave, by the way, he's never once said he is, but if he's gonna leave, he's gonna leave but it won't be to arse.

Absolute b*llocks that is.

Pelle not too massively bothered about tbh.

Koeman would leave tomorrow if he was offered the Arsenal job and if he didn't would be mad.

I think Ron is being honest when he says he'll honour his contract, but if he knows the board don't want him to go into his final year without some kind of contract extension, he also knows that he has a way out, one year early. He could refuse an extension, it will be the board who ask him to leave, his honour is intact.

I have a feeling though that the board will go into his final year and spend that time looking for a replacement or trying to get an extension. Personally I'd prefer if they get it sorted this Summer - one way or another.

Yep, and it was Adkins who was responsible for the fitness and pressing which was worked well for us in the prem before Poch turned up.

Got rid too soon if you ask me.

Looks like he might be available again soon.

There is a huge, massive demonstration going on outside Bramall Lane right now...

Adkins_out.jpg

I'm not sure how he can survive this TBH. :lol:

Hi, new poster. With the squad available I'd say Pellegrini, Loptegui, Blanc (might be out of a job soon), Lucien Favre, Roger Schmidt,De Boer, Karanka and Howe.

In that order. Pellegrini, Favre, Scmidt and Howe play 442, which is now back as a stable tactic, while the others favour 433 morphing to 4231.

Schmidt in particular would be a BOLD choice, but one worth taking if you watch his Leverkusen side.

If Koeman left, a key question is whether his brother would go too. My friends in the Netherlands always insisted Erwin was the wiser, better manager, and may well be a big part of way things of gone well the last couple years. Just his brother's name recognition and playing record. I dunno how much he's loved being the invisible one here. Could we imagine a scenario where Ronald goes and Erwin stays?!

Obviously I hope and expect that Koeman will stay but if he did go then personally I'd go for someone like Michel Preud'homme. He has an absolutely immense managerial record and has been hugely successful at just about every club he has managed.

Other possibilities would be Murat Yakin or Senol Gunes.

Was listening to Talksport today (for my sins) and Piers Morgan was on talking about Arsenal and in particular Wenger. He reckons that he knows "for a fact" that there is a new 3 year contract awaiting Wenger. Okay, it's Piers Morgan, so take it all with a huge pinch of salt but it did make me think that if there is any truth in it and Wenger signs a new contract, that's a possible destination for RK gone in a year's time.

As for Everton, if Martinez is for the chop it's a year too early for Ron if he intends to honour his contract.

Edited by Chalkboy

I honestly believe that if RK intended to stay beyond his 3 years then as with Pochetino positive contract talks would be near conclusion. Were Cortese still here I think RK would be given an ultimatum this summer. I hope the Board are already putting Plan B into operation and for me having Howe on our doorstep is a real opportunity that I hope is not lost due to Koeman's prevarication.

I honestly believe that if RK intended to stay beyond his 3 years then as with Pochetino positive contract talks would be near conclusion. Were Cortese still here I think RK would be given an ultimatum this summer. I hope the Board are already putting Plan B into operation and for me having Howe on our doorstep is a real opportunity that I hope is not lost due to Koeman's prevarication.

Nor sure what Cortese has to do with anything.

As a club we've refused to let any player enter the last year of their contract and there's nothing to suggest we wouldn't do something similar with Koeman. Said it a few times now, but I am sure he will sign something this summer to knock out the speculation, but I still think he will complete 3 years and then leave.

Don't think Howe would come here.

Nor sure what Cortese has to do with anything.

As a club we've refused to let any player enter the last year of their contract and there's nothing to suggest we wouldn't do something similar with Koeman. Said it a few times now, but I am sure he will sign something this summer to knock out the speculation, but I still think he will complete 3 years and then leave.

I was referring to Cortese's ruthlessness ie I think he might have swung the axe if indeed RK was just intending to see out his contract and not renewing.

I was referring to Cortese's ruthlessness ie I think he might have swung the axe if indeed RK was just intending to see out his contract and not renewing.

I think that is an option available to the board but it won't get to that. We will not let him visibly enter his final year.

A simple extension of a one-year rolling will be a compromise to suit everyone. He'll do three seasons and then gone.

Personally I think that's fine - I don't think our structure is designed to fit a dynastic long-term managerial reign. Three years and then progress to the next one sounds sensible to me.

What's the obsession with Howe? He was pretty meh with Burnley. He works well enough at Bournemouth but there he has a special relationship with the club. I think saints would be to big a job for him personally.

What's the obsession with Howe? He was pretty meh with Burnley. He works well enough at Bournemouth but there he has a special relationship with the club. I think saints would be to big a job for him personally.

This. I like him as a guy and a manager but I think he's in his comfort zone at Bournemouth. It's quite a mentality shift from aiming to stay up to aiming for top 6. Many managers (Allardyce a great example) just don't make that move

This. I like him as a guy and a manager but I think he's in his comfort zone at Bournemouth. It's quite a mentality shift from aiming to stay up to aiming for top 6. Many managers (Allardyce a great example) just don't make that move

Are we aiming for the top 6?

What you say is true; but the scope for a smart, young manager (Howe) to take the next step in management is there. Look at Poch coming to the EPL with some moderate credentials from his time at Espanyol. I think we could/should look elsewhere if we have to but Howe looks to have something about him.

The reason Howe was meh! at Burnley was domestic. His wife hated t'north, and didn't move up there. Howe is a big family man and perhaps his heart wasn't totally in it (which maybe doesn't speak volumes for his professionalism).

There would be no such issues if he came here.

For all his love of Bournemouth, my understanding is that he would jump at the chance to come here, and the myth that he previously turned us down can be discounted.

At the time the myth 'he turned us down' was being created, he was actually being touted and offered to us by Eddie Mitchell who was desperate for the cash.

We, in fact, spurned Mitchell's advances and said ' no thanks' and the myth that Howe turned us down was created as a bit of face-saving on Mitchell's part.

Hi, new poster. With the squad available I'd say Pellegrini, Loptegui, Blanc (might be out of a job soon), Lucien Favre, Roger Schmidt,De Boer, Karanka and Howe.

In that order. Pellegrini, Favre, Scmidt and Howe play 442, which is now back as a stable tactic, while the others favour 433 morphing to 4231.

Schmidt in particular would be a BOLD choice, but one worth taking if you watch his Leverkusen side.

Some great, if ambitious names there....Personally I think getting a name like Pellegrini would be a massive coup...a couple of years ago he was Madrid manager... I hope RK stays tho..

Suggestions that Everton could be after Ronald. Is there any way that would be progress for him?

Another club living in a dreamland based on the past.

First time I've heard Liverpool be described as a "dreamland".

Do other clubs' fans constantly speculate about their managers and players leaving? I don't read other clubs' forums but I guess some of them must do. It seems a bit of a negative thing to do though. Admittedly our turnover of players and managers in recent years has been quite high. It would be nice to have a settled team and manager for a few years. Just when I get to like a manager or player, like Pochettino, Koeman, Lallana, Mane or Wanyama, and I can't be the only Saints fan who liked them, I get told it's time to start hating them because other clubs want them.

I really hope that we can keep Koeman and our players. Why shouldn't we?

Do other clubs' fans constantly speculate about their managers and players leaving? I don't read other clubs' forums but I guess some of them must do. It seems a bit of a negative thing to do though. Admittedly our turnover of players and managers in recent years has been quite high. It would be nice to have a settled team and manager for a few years. Just when I get to like a manager or player, like Pochettino, Koeman, Lallana, Mane or Wanyama, and I can't be the only Saints fan who liked them, I get told it's time to start hating them because other clubs want them.

Might have something to with the players not wanting to stay...

1) don't pay enough for them to stay- either we aren't willing or capable

2) they are likely to achieve cl/win trophies elsewhere

Simple, unless they have an affection for us, they will leave- let's be honest.

If we want them to stay, we need to do something like WHU, offer a new contract within a few months, but it works both ways- they could lose motivation.

Let us not pretend we are the only club to lose players, Bony went for £30m, Benteke £32m etc