Season Review: 2015-16

Saint-Armstrong

I'm sure Dalek is on his annual wind up (I'd miss it if he wasnt) that was exactly how Leicester set out last season, slowly set, deliver, and reset the objectives. I remember it was, team just needs a clean sheet and I buy pizza. this takes the pressure off the players and they play with freedom.

If that is where 'a wind up' by a manager gets you, maybe more will adopt the tactic next year. I can just imagine Pool, Chelski, Citeh etc 'our first objective is enough points to stay clear of relegation' LOL.

2nd half table 39 points can we carry this form into next season

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/premier-league/2015-2016/between-dates

Use start date as 02 01 2016 and end as 15 05 2016

depending on your world view this will either depress or impress:

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/premier-league/2015-2016/between-dates

Use start date as 17 08 2015 and end as 15 05 2016

Finish in 4th place if you eliminate the results of first two matches of the season for everyone..... 36 game season.

It looks as if the qualifying rounds of the Europa Cup had an adverse effect on the start of the Premier League campaign. Players had to be recruited quite quickly last summer with little or no time to settle in. We didn't get our first win in the Premier League until the fourth match at the end of August, which was against the ultimately to be relegated, Norwich.

This year, whilst there might be squad changes, overall we do seem better placed to handle the early season, and even if we drop to 6th place tonight, there will only be one pair of Europa League qualifying games to play instead of the two pairs of last year. There should be less disruption of pre-season this year. The importance of early season matches is very clear when you look for the 4 extra points that could have meant a Champions League spot.

It looks as if the qualifying rounds of the Europa Cup had an adverse effect on the start of the Premier League campaign. Players had to be recruited quite quickly last summer with little or no time to settle in. We didn't get our first win in the Premier League until the fourth match at the end of August, which was against the ultimately to be relegated, Norwich.

This year, whilst there might be squad changes, overall we do seem better placed to handle the early season, and even if we drop to 6th place tonight, there will only be one pair of Europa League qualifying games to play instead of the two pairs of last year. There should be less disruption of pre-season this year. The importance of early season matches is very clear when you look for the 4 extra points that could have meant a Champions League spot.

If we don't make it to the group stages with a united loss tonight or a united win on Saturday, I thought we still had to play two rounds, just like last season.

If we don't make it to the group stages with a united loss tonight or a united win on Saturday, I thought we still had to play two rounds, just like last season.

I think that's right - as far as I can see there is no such thing as a EL play off - basically that round is the winners of EL Q3 and the losers from the CL play-offs - no one qualifies for that round without playing at least one other match.

I think that's right - as far as I can see there is no such thing as a EL play off - basically that round is the winners of EL Q3 and the losers from the CL play-offs - no one qualifies for that round without playing at least one other match.

Cheers.

it's a big deal if we can avoid the qualifying round. At the beginning of the season our squad was far from settled.

in the second leg of the Midtjylland game this was our starting XI (far cry from what we start with now)

------------------Stek--------------------

Martina-Yoshida-Fonte-Caulker-Targett

------JWP------Romeu------Davis-------

-----------Pelle--------JRod--------------

We would be better sorted for Europa next season if we don't have to play until September in the group stages. Go Bournemouth!

Great season. Some players really earned their wages this year and it was lovely to see.

As for next season, keep the team we have together as much as possible, keep Ron, get to 30 points before

Christmas and then keep pushing. If we can avoid anyone doing a double over us again that will make a massive difference.

It's interesting to note that no one has yet said 'we need to get rid of the deadwood' which says a lot about this season and the squad Ron is putting together. I'd probably give most improved player to Martina - massively better compared to the start of the season, still got work to do though

Great season, we need Ron to stay longer than the 1 year left on his contract. Would love Vic and Sadio to stay, that would make a massive difference to us to keep them.

Special mention to the Saints Marketing people this year. Have come up with some exceptional videos, stories and articles that really have made the players and the club much more than just a football team. Who can forget 'I thought you were Phil Tuffnell', the funniest line I've heard for ages. Loved the In the Box series and some of the stuff over Christmas was class.

Overall, one of the best seasons we've had for a long, long time. Very happy!

Yep spot on and I gather pelle pulls a few strops in training too

Not necessarily a problem, as long as the player channels those strops in the right way - Pelle's performance against Palace when he came on was excellent, I thought. Showed exactly the right attitude to being dropped, IMO.

I think we'd all largely agree that you wouldn't want any player to be happy being left out of the team, and that it's those situations that improve the overall quality of the squad because there is then competition for places.

Not necessarily a problem, as long as the player channels those strops in the right way - Pelle's performance against Palace when he came on was excellent, I thought. Showed exactly the right attitude to being dropped, IMO.

I think we'd all largely agree that you wouldn't want any player to be happy being left out of the team, and that it's those situations that improve the overall quality of the squad because there is then competition for places.

Agree. Would still pick Pelle over Austin personally.

Yea but this strop including him flouncing out of Staplewood midway through a training session

it's a big deal if we can avoid the qualifying round. At the beginning of the season our squad was far from settled.

in the second leg of the Midtjylland game this was our starting XI (far cry from what we start with now)

------------------Stek--------------------

Martina-Yoshida-Fonte-Caulker-Targett

------JWP------Romeu------Davis-------

-----------Pelle--------JRod--------------

We would be better sorted for Europa next season if we don't have to play until September in the group stages. Go Bournemouth!

Also factor in a large chunk of of starting XI may well be playing in The Euro 2016 Tournament, and may need an extra break missing some of the Pre season build Ups, so we really should be praying for a Man U Cup Win, as much as it goes against the grain. A crumb of comfort would be Liverpool getting tonked tonight!!

As for the season just gone, I don't think anybody would have given much hope of us finishing only 3 points off a Champions League Place at the start and most certainly not at the halfway stage!!

But unlike the Poch season's we didn't peter out at the end of the season, if anything we got better and stronger.

Some of the results against the top teams have been phenomenal, but we let ourselves down against the likes of Villa ans Sunderland at home and Norwich and Bomo away big time!!

Obviously there will be trials and tribulations over the close season (it's the Southampton Way!!) but I'm praying we can keep Mane and Wanyama, but most of all get Koeman on an exteded contract to convince current players and potential new recruits we mean business.

Saints pass forward more than most and Spurs are one of the leading back passers. Thats what used to frustrate me about Pochettino's possession football. Seemed a bit purposeless sometimes.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1999[/ATTACH]

On the other hand, with the very notable exception of Leicester, all the teams that pass forward more than us have either been relegated or flirted with relegation this season (West Ham seem to have approx the same ratio as us). Villa hardly passed at all, hence their ratio is low.

On the other hand, with the very notable exception of Leicester, all the teams that pass forward more than us have either been relegated or flirted with relegation this season (West Ham seem to have approx the same ratio as us). Villa hardly passed at all, hence their ratio is low.

True. I guess the relegated teams were a bit more direct or hit and hope. Different players and systems of course but it struck me a number of times this season where we've won games under Koeman despite having much less than 50% possession, whereas we often lost under Pochettino despite hogging the ball.

'twas a fine season all right - I wish I could have been there more often to see it.

The only slight disappointment (aside from failing to progress again in the FA Cup) would be that we in danger methinks of losing that reputation we'd earned not so long ago for being a club that gives its young home grown talent chance. Ward-Prowse and Matt Targett have played some part in our season, but are we really so very different now from any other PL oufit? The pressure to succed is intense of course and as we have money to burn these days we appear to have reverted to a 'play it safe' policy and buy-in talent just like most others clubs do.

Okay, perhaps Harrison Reed and his contemporaries are not good enough in the manager's view. Maybe the club losing some key personnel who were responsible for devloping outstanding young players (such as Bale, Walcott and Shaw) has effected us. But if we never take that risk of giving our youngsters a chance to show what they can do then you never really know do you?

Fortune favours the brave.

Great season. Some players really earned their wages this year and it was lovely to see.

As for next season, keep the team we have together as much as possible, keep Ron, get to 30 points before

Christmas and then keep pushing. If we can avoid anyone doing a double over us again that will make a massive difference.

It's interesting to note that no one has yet said 'we need to get rid of the deadwood' which says a lot about this season and the squad Ron is putting together. I'd probably give most improved player to Martina - massively better compared to the start of the season, still got work to do though

Yes, Martina's role in the latter weeks has been an important feature in our more forward looking play. His wonder goal earlier mid season seems to have done wonders for his morale and general progress.

I think we had a very productive last 11 or so matches ,but thing is not to get too carried away with them.Just look at the run in our fixtures rather fell into place lucky to get anything at home from Sunderland, hammered an already safe Stoke should have been a bigger winning margin, great come back against Liverpool home game of the season, should have played better against Leicester, smashed Newcastle who were still adjusting to the new man in charge, again next match smashed a deflated Everton who lets face it had a bigger game ahead of our fixture against Liverpool and City in the F.A cup, Villa already relegated smashed them but we were sloppy in containing them and loose positioning, same result against City they had minds on champions league semis and didn't turn up, Tottenham already lost their heads against Chelsea and didn't quite have the right mental attitude, and last a home banker to finish with against Palace who had an even bigger game on the horizon,so all in all our finishing position could be slightly distorted if we cant get off to a decent stat next season.

I think we had a very productive last 11 or so matches ,but thing is not to get too carried away with them.Just look at the run in our fixtures rather fell into place lucky to get anything at home from Sunderland, hammered an already safe Stoke should have been a bigger winning margin, great come back against Liverpool home game of the season, should have played better against Leicester, smashed Newcastle who were still adjusting to the new man in charge, again next match smashed a deflated Everton who lets face it had a bigger game ahead of our fixture against Liverpool and City in the F.A cup, Villa already relegated smashed them but we were sloppy in containing them and loose positioning, same result against City they had minds on champions league semis and didn't turn up, Tottenham already lost their heads against Chelsea and didn't quite have the right mental attitude, and last a home banker to finish with against Palace who had an even bigger game on the horizon,so all in all our finishing position could be slightly distorted if we cant get off to a decent stat next season.

Christ, weird how someone can be so negative over our end to the season.

God forbid you feel positive about our best ever finish or anything.

We played amazingly well this year, which made up for a poor/average first half of the season. We won far more times than I thought we would, Spurs/Liverpool/City were all games that I'd expect us to lose, but the team really deserved those wins. Like last season, the mid-season dip has cost us.. but I think I'd rather have the ups and downs and ups instead of an average meh through the season like Stoke/WBA etc