More improvements at St Mary's Stadium

Matthew Le God

Someone working at St Mary's today has taken some photos and provided a few snippets of information (I'll let you decide if they are interesting or not)...

- The red felt that runs around the pitch will be given a makeover.

- Red cladding will go on the sides of the dug-outs.

- The electronic advertising boards around the pitch at SMS for the Memorial Cup are temporary. Permanent ones will go where the static ones are.

- Only 3 sides will have the electronic boards as that's where the cameras are focused.

- Revenue could reach £7 million p/a from the electronic boards.

Extended home dugout will have new seats installed tomorrow...

scaled.php?tn=0&server=854&filename=teut.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

One of the two new HD Screens replacing the old ones which were there for the last 11 years since the stadium opened...

scaled.php?tn=0&server=705&filename=48u3.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

Edited by Matthew Le God

Why did we put up temporary electronic advertising for a pre-season friendly that wasn't televised?

For all of our new fans from further afield. They wouldn't have had a clue who our sponsors are otherwise

Don't want to derail your thread Matt and take this too off topic. But how do our improvements compare to what other teams are doing? Is it a case of, we have to run very quickly just to stand still?

The reason I am asking is I saw that Tottenham have recently opened a new £50m training complex. I was quite optimistic when we started work on ours and realise land costs are different but still, if we have a £15m complex and they have a £50m one, how does ours compare?

The same with the stadium. I didn't realise how far we had fallen behind prem team in terms or corporate facilities until I was invited to the Emirates. The difference with even their club level facilities is massive. Their income from this kind of stuff must dwarf ours?

The reason I am asking is I saw that Tottenham have recently opened a new £50m training complex. I was quite optimistic when we started work on ours and realise land costs are different but still, if we have a £15m complex and they have a £50m one, how does ours compare?

The Spurs price includes the cost the land. Saints already owned the land at Staplewood, plus kept the existing training dome (and are regenerating it) so a new one wasn't needed.

There isn't really much (if anything) Spurs have that Staplewood won't have, apart from more pitches which doesn't really matter that much.

training-centre-main-building.jpg

Edited by Matthew Le God

The Spurs price includes the cost the land. Saints already owned the land at Staplewood, plus kept the existing training dome (and are regenerating it) so a new one wasn't needed.

There isn't really much (if anything) Spurs have that Staplewood won't have, apart from more pitches which doesn't really matter that much.

So you would say they are pretty comparable or the Spurs one is slightly better than ours?

If there was a league table to training grounds after all current development projects are finished, where would you guess we would be placed?

Why did we put up temporary electronic advertising for a pre-season friendly that wasn't televised?

Because if they didn't work on the first tv game some bright spark would be on here criticising the club that they never had the foresight to try the advertising out on a friendly. Besides, some of the advertising was clearly targeting the fans in the stadium not just tv fans.

Don't want to derail your thread Matt and take this too off topic. But how do our improvements compare to what other teams are doing? Is it a case of, we have to run very quickly just to stand still?

The same with the stadium. I didn't realise how far we had fallen behind prem team in terms or corporate facilities until I was invited to the Emirates. The difference with even their club level facilities is massive. Their income from this kind of stuff must dwarf ours?

I've heard that Pompey aim to eradicate the fat from the pipes and maybe even go as far as fixing the clock !

Might just be a rumour, mind :)

Absolutely. One of the fundemental factors of football training ground designs are the players have as few pitches to play on as possible.

Extended home dugout will have "bucket seats" installed tomorrow...

scaled.php?tn=0&server=854&filename=teut.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

Seems a little daft to keep one of the old seats at the end of each row, rather than extend all the way to gangway....unless they're using that as a natural barrier betwen the players and the fans?

Absolutely. One of the fundemental factors of football training ground designs are the players have as few pitches to play on as possible.

Saints have little need to spread their teams out over a huge number of pitches, they have enough for what they need. Plus some of Spurs extra pitches are for community use.

Saints have little need to spread their teams out over a huge number of pitches. Plus some of Spurs extra pitches are for community use.

But Tottenham, a team we are aspiring to be better than, or at least an equal of,do, odd.

Someone working at St Mary's today has taken some photos and provided a few snippets of information (I'll let you decide if they are interesting or not)...

- The red felt that runs around the pitch will be given a makeover.

- Red cladding will go on the sides of the dug-outs.

- The electronic advertising boards around the pitch at SMS for the Memorial Cup are temporary. Permanent ones will go where the static ones are.

- Only 3 sides will have the electronic boards as that's where the cameras are focused.

- Revenue could reach £7 million p/a from the electronic boards.

Extended home dugout will have "bucket seats" installed tomorrow...

Which, coincidentally is the current Wage Bill that the skates are still saddled with

If some of the Spurs pitches are for community use, what does it matter if they have them or not?

It would be nice if some of ours were of use to the community as well wouldn't it? A nice gesture from the club, yes? Certainly it seems as far as supporting the local community Spurs have done a better job than us with training facilities, would you not agree?

Seems a little daft to keep one of the old seats at the end of each row, rather than extend all the way to gangway....unless they're using that as a natural barrier betwen the players and the fans?

Those seats last season were used by some fringe medical staff, St Johns Ambulance people and a few random changeable comps. I'm guessing it'll be the same doctor plus St Johns Ambulance etc.

It would be nice if some of ours were of use to the community as well wouldn't it? A nice gesture from the club, yes? Certainly it seems as far as supporting the local community Spurs have done a better job than us with training facilities, would you not agree?

The Staplewood site is smaller and so this isn't an option, so emphasise is on the club.

The Staplewood site is smaller and so this isn't an option, so emphasise is on the club.

So We've already established Tottenhams training ground is bigger, has more pitches, is open to be used as part of a fantastic community initiative. What other differences are there between them?

So We've already established Tottenhams training ground is bigger, has more pitches, is open to be used as part of a fantastic community initiative. What other differences are there between them?

In terms of the main Pavillion building, academy facilities, landscaping they are pretty similar in what they offer.

Spurs won't have a spectator stand that matches Staplewood's (not that it matters at all ;))...

0,,10280~10496407,00.jpg

Edited by Matthew Le God

In terms of the main Pavillion building, academy facilities, landscaping they are pretty similar in what they offer.

Spurs won't have a spectator stand that matches Staplewood's (not that it matters at all ;))...

0,,10280~10496407,00.jpg

Yes, I admit Spurs' training ground is better. But there really isn't a lot in it.

Are you sure about this? Is there not some vital piece of evidence that you are not aware of?

Does anyone know if Spurs have put new felt round the pitch this summer?

*nice try at an edit by the way, beat you to it.

Unfortunatly I need to take this child like approach with MLG to ever get him to give an opinion on anything. tokoyos direct question for one didn't get answered, as you will see.

No you don't, you could take the approach of simply not posting, this is a 'mong board' after all.

Window cleaner will be busy (edit: awaiting MLT "its self cleaning glass")

I think if I was MLG I'd just keep all this useful info to myself, and let the rest of you find out at some point down the line.

Save it for the "Pointless Sarcastic Stadium Size Co(k-Waving" thread that hopefully will be stickied in a couple of days so none of the rest of us have to read the same 3 jokes in response to everything over and over again...

Unfortunatly I need to take this child like approach with MLG to ever get him to give an opinion on anything. tokoyos direct question for one didn't get answered, as you will see.

Thank you for noticing. If I don't get an reasonable answer, mostly on topic, I will go back to a more negative approach.

I think if I was MLG I'd just keep all this useful info to myself, and let the rest of you find out at some point down the line.

Save it for the "Pointless Sarcastic Stadium Size Co(k-Waving" thread that hopefully will be stickied in a couple of days so none of the rest of us have to read the same 3 jokes in response to everything over and over again...

#Thanks for the update , shame it has been hijacked though .....

Shame isn't it. :(

Turkish accuses me of lots of things, yet hijacks every thread I start. If anyone else on this forum had posted the opening post, the thread wouldn't turn out like this with Turkish jumping on them.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Serious question, how good is our stadium and training facilities (once complete) in comparison to others in the league?

"If there was a league table to training grounds after all current development projects are finished, where would you guess we would be placed?"

Serious question, how good is our stadium and training facilities (once complete) in comparison to others in the league?

"If there was a league table to training grounds after all current development projects are finished, where would you guess we would be placed?"

Staplewood (when finished) I think will be in the top 8 in the Premier League.