Billy Sharp

teacher

How anyone on here can criticise Billy's goal scoring for us is beyond me. Without his goals in the latter half of our Championship promotion season we would not have been promoted to the Premier League. Short memories.

I don't think anyone has. What they're saying is that Glasgow's statement that his pre-season goals make him our most prolific scorer ever is a bit stupid.

Which entitles me to criticise. Far better to have £10k a week and play than not. That said I accept in the real world people can't always Afford to waive half their salary. He can, I am sure.

You really do need to be very well off to forgo close on£1m over the next two years. Sharp will not command anything like that with his next club, whether he moves now or in two years' time, so he is doing what most people would do, which is to earn as much as he can, whilst he can for the benefit of himself and his family. Professional football is a business and a career, not a 'game'. Having said that, I doubt very much if he will 'sit on his arse' as some people have suggested, because it will suit SFC and one of the interested clubs to compromise, and with that income he can afford to wait.

You really do need to be very well off to forgo close on£1m over the next two years. Sharp will not command anything like that with his next club, whether he moves now or in two years' time, so he is doing what most people would do, which is to earn as much as he can, whilst he can for the benefit of himself and his family. Professional football is a business and a career, not a 'game'. Having said that, I doubt very much if he will 'sit on his arse' as some people have suggested, because it will suit SFC and one of the interested clubs to compromise, and with that income he can afford to wait.

Honestly I don't think he did himself a lot of good at Forest last year so sticking with his 18K a week or whatever it is might not be a bad idea.

How anyone on here can criticise Billy's goal scoring for us is beyond me. Without his goals in the latter half of our Championship promotion season we would not have been promoted to the Premier League. Short memories.

Anyone would think we were mid table and went on a reading type run when we signed Billy. The fact is we limped over the line and his tap ins helped ,mind you , any half decent striker would have done the same.

In fact had he been a better player, we'd have won the league. Missed peno Blackpool at 0-0 springs to mind.

you know that, I know that but Glasgow just won't let it go. Serves me right for argueing with a troll I guess, still day off today and it's raining.

Why does anyone take any notice of what Glasgow has to say? He is a troll, and a troll that doesn't even know what the word prolific means. Surely no-one really took GS's pathetic posts about Billy being prolific seriously did they? He is just on a wind-up and it seems to have worked. I guess I have fallen for it too, but just put the dimwit on ignore along with a couple of others of similar ilk.

Why does anyone take any notice of what Glasgow has to say? He is a troll, and a troll that doesn't even know what the word prolific means. Surely no-one really took GS's pathetic posts about Billy being prolific seriously did they? He is just on a wind-up and it seems to have worked. I guess I have fallen for it too, but just put the dimwit on ignore along with a couple of others of similar ilk.

Wouldn't need to if the mods did their job. I've never put anyone on ignore, they always get quoted so you get to read it anyway.

Anyone would think we were mid table and went on a reading type run when we signed Billy. The fact is we limped over the line and his tap ins helped ,mind you , any half decent striker would have done the same.

In fact had he been a better player, we'd have won the league. Missed peno Blackpool at 0-0 springs to mind.

The fact is we didn't sign any 'half decent striker' we signed Billy Sharp who still had to step up and do it. It's easy to talk about it, much harder to actually do it. So again, the facts of the matter are clear, without the goals Billy scored in the latter half of the season we wouldn't have been promoted. And for that reason I will be forever thankful to him.

Wouldn't need to if the mods did their job. I've never put anyone on ignore, they always get quoted so you get to read it anyway.

What a bizarre but predictable post - what do you want/expect the mods to do? Ban me for including Sharps pre season goals in his goals tally?

I take it "you’re a troll” is the forums new white flag?

Honestly I don't think he did himself a lot of good at Forest last year so sticking with his 18K a week or whatever it is might not be a bad idea.

I agree. It is odd that he was so much better at Doncaster in 2011 and for Saints in 2012, but Adkins and Co clearly assessed him as not being good enough to step up a level and it seems they were proven right by his record on loan at Forest and by Pochettino's team making the same assessment. I just don't think its right to blame the player if he reached his peak earlier than people hoped, or to blame him for the contract he was given by SFC. Neither should the player be expected to get SFC out of a contract that was of their own making, although let's not forget that it was Sharp's goals that probably confirmed promotion, so it could be argued that he repaid the transfer fee.

I agree. It is odd that he was so much better at Doncaster in 2011 and for Saints in 2012, but Adkins and Co clearly assessed him as not being good enough to step up a level and it seems they were proven right by his record on loan at Forest and by Pochettino's team making the same assessment. I just don't think its right to blame the player if he reached his peak earlier than people hoped, or to blame him for the contract he was given by SFC. Neither should the player be expected to get SFC out of a contract that was of their own making, although let's not forget that it was Sharp's goals that probably confirmed promotion, so it could be argued that he repaid the transfer fee.

I think his goals actually brought us 5 points more than if he hadn't scored them because his first goal against Burnley was definitely an own goal. Add back on the 3 we might have obtained in he'd scored the penalty against Blackpool and it's a net 2 point gain. Saved us the play-offs I'd guess.

The fact is we didn't sign any 'half decent striker' we signed Billy Sharp who still had to step up and do it. It's easy to talk about it, much harder to actually do it. So again, the facts of the matter are clear, without the goals Billy scored in the latter half of the season we wouldn't have been promoted. And for that reason I will be forever thankful to him.

Personally, I reckon there was half a dozen Championship strikers who would have seen us over the line, and 2 or 3 that would have won us the league.

He's really not that good, as last season proved.

Where would you see him fitting into our current formation and how would he best compliment the other members of the squad?

Billy is a goal scorer, our most prolific in over 100 years. He could compliment us by scoring goals, something we have been struggling to do lately.

5 goals in the last 9 league games? No goals from open play all season in the league? yet no place even in the squad for a striker with 15 goals in 20 games for us?

Billy is a goal scorer, our most prolific in over 100 years. He could compliment us by scoring goals, something we have been struggling to do lately.

5 goals in the last 9 league games? No goals from open play all season in the league? yet no place even in the squad for a striker with 15 goals in 20 games for us?

So you agree that we should build a team round him and drop Osvaldo or Lambert to make way for him?

Where would you see him fitting into our current formation and how would he best compliment the other members of the squad?

Probably by saying they're fit, or they have nice hair or a flash car. I'd be more interested in how he'd complement other squad members though.

Glasgow Saint has opinions and unlike many who waver back and forth, he sticks to his thoughts and beliefs. It's becoming sad that one is being pressured to be like sheep, follow and say bah bah bah to everything. :(

No, he is a self-confessed troll. He admitted to me via PM recently that something he had posted in a seemingly-serious way was completely false and done purely for a reaction. Therefore his opinions are worthless and should be ignored.