Billy Sharp

teacher

Posted this on the T.Lee thread but to avoid taking that off topic will copy here.

SHARP's SFC GOAL RECORD

Just looking at the stats and they are even better than i first thought!

Scored 15 goals for us HOWEVER he only played the full 90 minutes in 5 games!! The others he was either subbed or started as sub.

15 goals in 13 starts!! unbelievable record

Southampton striker Billy Sharp is wanted by Reading, Leeds, Ipswich, Sheffield Wednesday and Doncaster when the loan transfer window opens up this week. But the 27-year-old fears he may have to stay as the Saints are refusing to subsidise his £18,000-a-week wages.

From the BBC gossip pages

Southampton striker Billy Sharp is wanted by Reading, Leeds, Ipswich, Sheffield Wednesday and Doncaster when the loan transfer window opens up this week. But the 27-year-old fears he may have to stay as the Saints are refusing to subsidise his £18,000-a-week wages.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/337362/Billy-Sharp-won-t-be-loaned-out-by-Southampton-due-to-18k-a-week-subsidies

If he wants to play football he will take a pay cut whilst on loan surely ?

IF he cant live off half that amount a week he has a problem, I would gladly live off 10% of that a week !

That's not the point. He was given a contract by us so if we refuse to let him leave we can either play him or pay 18k a week for nothing. Alternatively we let him out on loan and only pay 8k or something a week. Seems like a no brainer to me.

If he wants to play football he will take a pay cut whilst on loan surely ?

IF he cant live off half that amount a week he has a problem, I would gladly live off 10% of that a week !

If your employer refused an approach (for you) from a better, bigger company offering you more money and a chance to do the job you really want. Would you suddenly jump at the chance of a move to a smaller firm paying you much less?

I know i wouldnt and can fully understand why Billy isnt.

If your employer refused an approach (for you) from a better, bigger company offering you more money and a chance to do the job you really want. Would you suddenly jump at the chance of a move to a smaller firm paying you much less?

Sack your source pal. No offers from Prem teams, 100%.

That's not the point. He was given a contract by us so if we refuse to let him leave we can either play him or pay 18k a week for nothing. Alternatively we let him out on loan and only pay 8k or something a week. Seems like a no brainer to me.

it's got to be a point of principle rather than a business decision tbh.

as you say, the club would gain more by having our costs reduced by whatever wages he's worth. instead the chairman obviously feels that the player should consider that if he's not worth those wages to any other party, he can watch his career and earning potential atrophy while picking up his inflated salary.

So far I don't know if anyone has blinked over this. Dickson seemed to ride it out.

So I take it that 'greed is good' then in your credo?

I on the other hand often wonder if when you reach a certain level of wealth/income whether a bit more added to the veritable cash mountain you have amassed during your career makes much meaningful difference to you anymore. Yes I too have met people in my life (both rich and poor) who so worshiped the idea of chasing money that they would find that attitude to be utterly incomprehensible, but I seriously doubt I'm alone in holding it.

I say if you really love the game, then any true footballer should want to place the desire to actually play it - while they are still young/fit enough to do so - above the love of money.

So I take it that 'greed is good' then in your credo?

I on the other hand often wonder if when you reach a certain level of wealth/income whether a bit more added to the veritable cash mountain you have amassed during your career makes much meaningful difference to you anymore. Yes I too have met people in my life (both rich and poor) who so worshiped the idea of chasing money that they would find that attitude to be utterly incomprehensible, but I seriously doubt I'm alone in holding it.

I say if you really love the game, then any true footballer should want to place the desire to actually play it - while they are still young/fit enough to do so - above the love of money.

Right so someone that doesnt jump at the chance to take a pay cut & drop a level is a greedy, money chaser :facepalm:

I think you've missed the point. Billy wants to play premiership football and was offered the chance. The club refused and are now insisting he drops a division and takes a pay cut.

The club have banned him from staplewood (s-clarke) and trying to play nasty.

No way to treat our most prolific striker EVER!

Sack your source pal. No offers from Prem teams, 100%.

He doesn't have a source he just makes things up to get a reaction from people on here. No "bigger, better' team would want him, as he's not very good. He's a decent goalscorer In the NPC, nothing more. Doesn't have the touch or brain to be a premiership footballer.

He doesn't have a source he just makes things up to get a reaction from people on here. No "bigger, better' team would want him, as he's not very good. He's a decent goalscorer In the NPC, nothing more. Doesn't have the touch or brain to be a premiership footballer.

15 goals in 13 starts says youre clueless!! Our most prolific striker EVER!

Frank Lampard is ****

:lol:

Ipswich have never had any interest in Billy Sharp (source Mick McCarthy)

Sheffield Wednesday also had no interest ( source Billy Sharp himself who is a life long Sheffield United supporter and former player.

Sheffield United, with a new Millionaire owner may however show some interest as may Leeds who may pay to have Sharp on board.

Meanwhile Sharp is in Southampton and training.

So, he was even tapped up by this mysterious better, bigger, premiership team than Saints? How could they offer him a higher salary than he was getting at Saints if we turned down their approach - despite quoting them a price and them meeting it, allegedly. Until a bid is accepted no team is allowed to talk to a player to offer them wages.

Why haven't we reported this team for tapping him up?

Why didn't that team come back with an improved offer, especially after having gone to the trouble of tapping Billy up?

Which team are we talking about?

What were the other two prem teams interested in signing him?

Why am I bothering to ask these questions when I know they will be ignored or, at least, not answered?

So, he was even tapped up by this mysterious better, bigger, premiership team than Saints? How could they offer him a higher salary than he was getting at Saints if we turned down their approach - despite quoting them a price and them meeting it, allegedly. Until a bid is accepted no team is allowed to talk to a player to offer them wages.

Why didn't that team come back with an improved offer, especially after having gone to the trouble of tapping Billy up?

Why am I bothering to ask these questions when I know they will be ignored or, at least, not answered?

Didn't we agree wages with Ramirez 4 weeks before we agreed a fee with his club? #hypocritical

Didn't we agree wages with Ramirez 4 weeks before we agreed a fee with his club? #hypocritical

You're showing your ignorance here, it's perfectly legal and within the rules to negotiate with a player before a fee has been agreed, so long as a deal in principle has been agreed and the selling club have given you permission to speak with the player (or his agent). It was well publicised this last week with the Bale deal in fact.

You don't have to agree everything, not even the fee, before you can be given permission to speak with the player.

I thought you'd know this, being so well connected.

So, hopefully this is the week we finally get shot of Sharp's wages.

I can see why a Championship side would baulk at 18k a week. It's a lot of money for an on-loan player. Nearly £1m a year in wages that has no asset value and is basically a £1m spend to get 10 - 20 goals for the season (depending on how good you are as a team).

In fact the only team I can see who would go for it is Reading however Simon Peach alluded to something last week where he suggested that Saints aren't really engaging in any business with Reading due to Adkins, so that potentially scuppers that prospect for Sharp (it seems the best fit for him on many levels).

Alternatively I suppose Sharp could agree to take a pay cut if playing matters that much to him but all things considered at the age of 27 I wouldn't be walking away from my contract to play - and I don't think he should get any stick for taking that stance either. If someone wants to pay you 18k for 4 years then that is enough money to want to receive whether you play or not.

I'm sure he would have received a pay rise for becoming a "premiership" player. The fact is that we dont consider him a premiership player , and neither do 19 other premiership clubs. He has to face facts, he is a championship player on premiership wages. Therefore he has 2 options, sit out his contract ,not playing but still receiving premiership wages, or play in the championship on championship wages.

The club have done nothing wrong here, they are honouring his contract. He has decided that money is more important than getting on with his career. When Tommy fourpast acted the same way, he got dogs abuse. Personally, I would be the same as The Don. I'd take it personally ,and even if it cost me money , I wouldn't subsidise an overpaid player to play elsewhere. **** him, let the supporters see what motivates him, if it was a Carlos kick-a-ball, im sure he'd be called a greedy barsteward.

all things considered at the age of 27 I wouldn't be walking away from my contract to play - and I don't think he should get any stick for taking that stance either. If someone wants to pay you 18k for 4 years then that is enough money to want to receive whether you play or not.

This really. Clubs bang on about lack of loyalty from players, but then try and wriggle out of contracts they freely offered. It cuts both ways.

I'm sure he would have received a pay rise for becoming a "premiership" player. The fact is that we dont consider him a premiership player , and neither do 19 other premiership clubs. He has to face facts, he is a championship player on premiership wages. Therefore he has 2 options, sit out his contract ,not playing but still receiving premiership wages, or play in the championship on championship wages.

The club have done nothing wrong here, they are honouring his contract. He has decided that money is more important than getting on with his career. When Tommy fourpast acted the same way, he got dogs abuse. Personally, I would be the same as The Don. I'd take it personally ,and even if it cost me money , I wouldn't subsidise an overpaid player to play elsewhere. **** him, let the supporters see what motivates him, if it was a Carlos kick-a-ball, im sure he'd be called a greedy barsteward.

Normally I am right on with your posts, but here you are talking b*ll*cks. Comparing Billy to Forecast and a Carlos kick-a-ball is insulting; Billy actually achieved something for the club and made a great contribution.

I note that a lot of those who are saying he aint good enough, and we should sh*t on him over his wages that were fair-and-square agreed contractually are the very same ones happy to pay Gashton 60K PW for a pitiful contribution.

Normally I am right on with your posts, but here you are talking b*ll*cks. Comparing Billy to Forecast and a Carlos kick-a-ball is insulting; Billy actually achieved something for the club and made a great contribution.

Eh? Are you saying that because Billy has achieved something for the club he shouldn't be compared to other players who have chosen to do the same is him?

To put it another way, are you saying its ok for him to put money before playing football cos he's a bit of a one season hero?

Right so someone that doesnt jump at the chance to take a pay cut & drop a level is a greedy, money chaser :facepalm:

I think you've missed the point. Billy wants to play premiership football and was offered the chance. The club refused and are now insisting he drops a division and takes a pay cut.

The club have banned him from staplewood (s-clarke) and trying to play nasty.

No way to treat our most prolific striker EVER!

Is that Fact, or Speculation

If it is Fact, then someone at SFC is short of a few brain cells., because

IF Saints do NOT think he is a Prem Quality player, then why prevent him from joining another Prem Club ?..... In Saints eyes, he's NOT a Prem Quality player, so he wouldn't do any damage ........ unless of course he comes good at another Prem Club

Surely, if SFC "blocked" such a move, it would come under the "freedom of work" act, or whatever it's called

What a pleasant tone this post has.

Either you are a self-centered nasty piece of work with little regard for the fortunes of any of our ex-players, or you are a troll on scale not even I get accused of.

He has done his normal trolling / talking crap throughout the thread. Doesnt care about Billy Sharp (never has) but has told us 31 x on this thread alone.

- Started by trying to convince us that Billy had split from his wife lie

- Now his best mates girlfriend has a friend whose brother knows someone that told him no prem bids were recieved lie

The facts are that Billy has the most prolific SFC scoring record ever!

15 goals in 13 games (only played the 90 mins in 5 games)

That record has killed the "he's not good enough" tripe so the latest spin is "he's greedy"

So why have two different managers and two different sets of coaching staff dismissed Sharpe?add to that an apparent lack of interest by any real team of note and a not so great loan spell at Forest last season.

if we wanted to send out some of our kids on loan to get some game time i'm sure we would either pay their wages or subsidise them.we dont want Sharpe for whatever reason so why should the club subsidise a loan move.

That record has killed the "he's not good enough" tripe so the latest spin is "he's greedy"

Goal scoring in the lower leagues and pre season kickabouts hardly prove he's good enough for the prem.

It's should be obvious to anyone who's seen him play that he's not enough for the prem.

Adkins and Pochetino have assssed him correctly.

Is that Fact, or Speculation

If it is Fact, then someone at SFC is short of a few brain cells., because

IF Saints do NOT think he is a Prem Quality player, then why prevent him from joining another Prem Club ?..... In Saints eyes, he's NOT a Prem Quality player, so he wouldn't do any damage ........ unless of course he comes good at another Prem Club

Surely, if SFC "blocked" such a move, it would come under the "freedom of work" act, or whatever it's called

Probably thinking of 'restraint of trade' but Saints are not restraining Sharp as he is on a contract to the club and is being paid, quite generously it would seem. The contract will not include any obligation to select him ahead of other players.

It is understandable that he won't take a pay cut when he has so long left on his contract. If he went down from £18,000 to say, £10,000 and if he still has 2 years to go, that pay cut would cost him close to £1m. Might not earn that much in the rest of his career.

Although he did well for us in the run up to promotion, two sets of coaching staff must have good reasons for their assessments and its hard to see him competing with Osvaldo and Rickie, or JayRod come to that, whilst we also have younger strikers with more of a future than Sharp. Unless the club decides to cut their losses by subsiding his wages we could have him here until the end of his contract and get nothing back towards his original fee.

Saw somewhere that the club is entitled to £3m from the Bale transfer for developing him as a young player, so maybe there could be some unexpected money that could be used to offload Sharp.