Billy Sharp

teacher

Maybe MP just does not rate him Alps..........my guess is he believes he is simply not at all good enough.

As such in some ways its being a lot more straight with him than giving him hope etc. Better to say, I dont think you are good enough, you are free to find another club than keep him hanging on.

Seems a lot more decent this way, for a player who has given good service to the club, than pretending otherwise.

I very much doubt if the club are prepared to simply let Sharp wander off, we paid good money for him and are no doubt looking for some sort of return Evidently we'll never see our 1.8 million again but we might get a million if we're patient. Still think that there must be some underlying cause or other to Sharp's exile last season, maybe he wants to play and we've nothing in view for him.

I think my main reason for wanting him to have a chance is that we are a creative team making chances aplenty in pre-season, but have not put enough away. We need a finisher, and Billy has done enough for me to believe he could fill that role.

The point has been made that he wasn't even a regular starter on loan in the Championship last season, but a lot depends on the players you have around you.

One that you have posted on 19 times!!! :lol:

To tell you all that he will be leaving during the summer and isn't good enough for us anyway!

I know he is a nice guy, but I am amazed how bothered so many fans seem to be with him.

You only have to look at the teams in for him, Doncaster, Barnsley, Sheff Wed to see he just isn't up to the PL.

Sharp is a much better option than Guly and/or Mayuka and if MoPo cant see that he's an idiot (imho)

For me GS, better than Guly, but undecided about Mayuka. He is a different kind of player to both and probably does not fit the system we want to play.

I doubt MP is an idiot, but like all managers they like certain players and not others, Billy Sharp is hardly a controversial player to be frozen out.

Everyone is an expert!! Lambert was not considered good enough for The Championship by many professional football managers yet scores goal in the PL. Many on here think he should play for England & Hodgson is clueless.

Sharp is not good enough some people say. Based on what? 20 minutes of PL football.

I have seen Lambert have really poor games. I have seen him be unplayable.

IMHO Sharp deserves a chance. More of a chance than Guly & Mayuka. Clearly MP does not agree.

Football is about opinions, always will be!

7 pages on a player who clearly will never play for the first team again, and hasnt done for a year.

:lol:

To which you contributed lies, false and devious stories based on your own nasty attitude towards a really decent guy who gave his all for getting us promoted. Not once have you expressed any understanding or sympathy for the hell he and his wife underwent in his private life. Why? Because you don't possess an ounce of feeling or true understanding of life or others. Your tainted comments not only have contributed in trying to ruin the career of a nice human being but made it more difficult for the club, tte player to stand any chance of a move away. 10 years back another guy was witch hunted out of the club, a certain Kevin Davis, Who went on to make laughing stock of those who doubted his ability and talent, and eventually get capped for England. Circumstances change and Billy like anyone can go on to do well in the Premier League.

I have often spoken of the debt of Karma in our lives. You and your likes who rip people to pieces based on flse rumors and lies will have much to pay. Maybe, Karma is playing a role in our lack of scoring seeing how Billy was shunted out after a fine pre-season.

7 pages on a player who clearly will never play for the first team again, and hasnt done for a year.

:lol:

To which you contributed lies, false and devious stories based on your own nasty attitude towards a really decent guy who gave his all for getting us promoted. Not once have you expressed any understanding or sympathy for the hell he and his wife underwent in his private life. Why? Because you don't possess an ounce of feeling or true understanding of life or others. Your tainted comments not only have contributed in trying to ruin the career of a nice human being but made it more difficult for the club, tte player to stand any chance of a move away. 10 years back another guy was witch hunted out of the club, a certain Kevin Davis, Who went on to make laughing stock of those who doubted his ability and talent, and eventually get capped for England. Circumstances change and Billy like anyone can go on to do well in the Premier League.

I have often spoken of the debt of Karma in our lives. You and your likes who rip people to pieces based on flse rumors and lies will have much to pay. Maybe, Karma is playing a role in our lack of scoring seeing how Billy was shunted out after a fine pre-season.

Here is what we know:

- Sharp hasn't played for us for nearly a year.

- Sharp hasn't trained with the first team squad for most of the summer (if at all).

- He did not travel with the squad to Spain and Austria, although Jack Stephens and Jordan Turnbull did.

- Sharp has played zero minutes of any first team friendlies and has only featured in one of about six development squad games.

- Sharp hasn't been allocated a squad number for the coming season.

- Pochettino commented, "We are not counting on them", when asked about a number of players, with Sharp among them. Following this, at least two of these players have left.

- A couple of clubs, including Doncaster and Sheffield Wednesday have indicated they are interested in him but probably on loan.

Here is what it is fair to summise:

- Saints don't really want Sharp and don't think he is good enough for us.

- He doesn't exactly have lots of top sides trying to sign him.

- We want to sell him and get a decent fee but none of the clubs who want him can afford it.

- He will probably end up being loaned out again if nobody better and richer comes in for him.

Sharp is a much better option than Guly and/or Mayuka and if MoPo cant see that he's an idiot (imho)

Or perhaps he is not foreign or have a foreign sounding surname. We all know you need to have a name ending in ez or have a De, Van or the like in front to be a true striker.

Not sure how SRL stands in this scenario, or perhaps his first name being spelt with an ie rather than a plain y. :)

I see that even Saint Charlie, even with all his bile and spite towards Billy, hasnt come out and opined that Mayuka is better than him :lol:

I haven't.

Simply because its pointless whether he is better or worse than Mayuka because it doesn't prove anything.

What matters is whether he is up to the PL. I havent been unkind or spouted bile or spite. I have just said, IMO (and seemingly NA, MP and a host of other Managers) that Sharp isn't good enough for the PL and nor is he even in the top 5 or even 10 Championship strikers.

Don't get Mayuka or Sharp situation at all.

Think/ thought Mayuka could be exactly what we need - fast direct different option, coming on for last 20. But hardly given chance - looks ok when tried but not shone, appreciate hard as sub sometimes.

Sharp another good option as sub. Maybe not an all round highly skilled player, but can score - surely would worry defenders late in a game if we are chasing for a goal?

Even wonder if Lee would have given us a better option last season when chasing a game and only having Steve De and Guly.

As someone said two managers don't seem keen. Attitude in training? Would surprise me but don't get it

Don't get Mayuka or Sharp situation at all.

Think/ thought Mayuka could be exactly what we need - fast direct different option, coming on for last 20. But hardly given chance - looks ok when tried but not shone, appreciate hard as sub sometimes.

Sharp another good option as sub. Maybe not an all round highly skilled player, but can score - surely would worry defenders late in a game if we are chasing for a goal?

Even wonder if Lee would have given us a better option last season when chasing a game and only having Steve De and Guly.

As someone said two managers don't seem keen. Attitude in training? Would surprise me but don't get it

If we don't sign another forward and Sharp is jettisoned I won't get it too.

Everyone knows his limitations but the fact is we are currently threadbare up front, that he would be a direct backup for Ricky, that he has actually got a good scoring record with us albeit in the champ (17 games - 9 goals) and that he seems to be a decent bloke that would fit in just fine.

If we buy a decent forward then let Billly go but if we don't then we should use him.

To tell you all that he will be leaving during the summer and isn't good enough for us anyway!

I know he is a nice guy, but I am amazed how bothered so many fans seem to be with him.

You only have to look at the teams in for him, Doncaster, Barnsley, Sheff Wed to see he just isn't up to the PL.

What an idiot, no one bought lambert yet he was idiot, the fact that no one took lala or moran off our hands, by our logic, means that they aren't good enough... or that surman was better :rolleyes:

If we gave sharp a go he'd score goals. We create so many chances, and personally i doubt he will be going anywhere unless we sign another striker.

I think he needs to be given a go... he helped get us here in the championship in a big way... arguably, with Lambert, Jayrod and Sharp we have the best 3 championship strikers from the last couple of seasons.

What an idiot, no one bought lambert yet he was idiot, the fact that no one took lala or moran off our hands, by our logic, means that they aren't good enough... or that surman was better :rolleyes:

I'm an idiot because I don't agree with you?

You mention Lambert. He is playing in the PL because last summer Adkins and this summer Pochettino both know he is good enough to.

Both have decided Sharp isn't. Just as they decided Hammond wasn't/isn't, and Richardson and Butterfield too.

The harsh realities of football. In the end if, like Lambert or Lallana, you are good enough then you will make it to the Prem and do well there. We will see if Sharp does...

I'm an idiot because I don't agree with you?

You mention Lambert. He is playing in the PL because last summer Adkins and this summer Pochettino both know he is good enough to.

Both have decided Sharp isn't. Just as they decided Hammond wasn't/isn't, and Richardson and Butterfield too.

The harsh realities of football. In the end if, like Lambert or Lallana, you are good enough then you will make it to the Prem and do well there. We will see if Sharp does...

You are the one preaching that he isn't good enough and using the fact that no one from a higher league has purchased him as evidence of this. I mere pointed out that we are playing in the prem with a bunch of league 1 and championship players... or did i miss the volumes of prem experience last season. I am putting forward a counter argument to your constant knocking of a player using your argument against you... you don't like, fair enough... make better arguments, rather than basing a players ability on which clubs are interested in him.

You are the one preaching that he isn't good enough and using the fact that no one from a higher league has purchased him as evidence of this. I mere pointed out that we are playing in the prem with a bunch of league 1 and championship players... or did i miss the volumes of prem experience last season. I am putting forward a counter argument to your constant knocking of a player using your argument against you... you don't like, fair enough... make better arguments, rather than basing a players ability on which clubs are interested in him.

Yes, and I am saying that despite our club having an attitude of being happy to progress L1 and Champ players to PL football we have decided not too with Sharp.

As we have with Seaborne, Chaplow, Hammond etc. None of those are good enough and I don;t see why Sharp is any different. If the club thought he could do a job then we would have kept him last season and would keep him this. We don't think he is good enough...

Yes, and I am saying that despite our club having an attitude of being happy to progress L1 and Champ players to PL football we have decided not too with Sharp.

As we have with Seaborne, Chaplow, Hammond etc. None of those are good enough and I don;t see why Sharp is any different. If the club thought he could do a job then we would have kept him last season and would keep him this. We don't think he is good enough...

More lies and only your opinion. Nothing to back you up. Sharp, when asked said he wanted to fight for his place and Pochettino has given him that opportunity. Nothing is to say players given numbers won't be shipped out or any player without a number won't be involved at a later date.

Give it a rest mate! 25 posts of hate about a guy you've never meet. Whats your agenda buddy?

More lies and only your opinion. Nothing to back you up. Sharp, when asked said he wanted to fight for his place and Pochettino has given him that opportunity. Nothing is to say players given numbers won't be shipped out or any player without a number won't be involved at a later date.

Nothing to back him up re the club not believing Sharp is good enough for the prem? How about being loaned out to Notts Forest last season and this summer, him being left out of the squad which travelled on the pre-season tour? Big enough clues for even lunatics like you ART I would have thought?

Really wanted Sharp to be given a chance last season. I remember watching him in a televised friendly against Ajax (I think it was anyway) and he looked awesome. Ran the channels well, linked up with his team mates. Missed a couple of chances but you could put the down to lack of sharpness. (No pun intended)

Our striking options for this season should be IMO

First choice - J-Rod/Lambert

Bench - Sharp and Mayuka.

With both Sharp and Mayuka getting a fair chance as both players have great potential IMHO.

As it stands at this very moment and with no more ins or outs from the group of "with numbers" we would have to give up to 5

senior pros on our books numbers before the PL squad deadline, whenever that might be, probably at the end of the window. It is not allowed by the PL to have a squad of less than 25 if you have contracted players over the age of 21 on 1/1/13 without numbers. Last season Dickson had a number even though we had no intention whatsoever of using him in senior games.

Edited by Window Cleaner

As it stands at this very moment and with no more ins or outs from the group of "with numbers" we would have to give up to 5

senior pros on our books numbers before the PL squad deadline, whenever that might be, probably at the end of the window. It is not allowed by the PL to have a squad of less than 25 if you have contracted players over the age of 21 on 1/1/13 without numbers. Last season Dickson had a number even though we had no intention whatsoever of using him in senior games.

You're confusing "having a number" with "being named in the squad". Dickson was named in the squad (because as you've correctly said, we had to name 25 senior pros if we had them) but was never allocated a shirt number http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012%E2%80%9313_Southampton_F.C._season, because he was never going to play. Same for Lee Barnard.

However, Sharp was not named in the squad list and DID have a squad number because he'd been on the bench for the first two games, played in the League Cup, and was sent on season-long loan before the squad list was submitted at the closure of the transfer window, which is a few weeks after the start of the season.

http://www.premierleague.com/content/dam/premierleague/site-content/News/publications/squad-lists/Squad-Lists-September-2012.pdf

Edited by The9
Barnard

Yep. And I have seen nothing to indicate he is worse than Mayuka. Except he cost a lot less...

EDIT: Therefore, a seeeeemple question to our footballing experts on here:

How has Mayuka shown in ca. a dozen sub appearances that he is better than Billy in the 2 or 3 he had ?

Mayuka has a bit of pace and is able to stretch teams late on in games, particularly when we're under a bit of pressure and we need an outlet ball. He will run the channels and his pace means he is capable of beating a player. He changed the game last season against Spurs for example.

Sharp hasn't shown any attributes at all to make me think he would be an asset in the Prem.

Not convinced Mayuka is the answer but he has more to offer than Sharp I think

Just to further confuse matters, the Premier League rules state that squad lists basically have to consist of consecutive numbers. Last season we had more than 25 senior pros so they didn't all get named.

We only have 24 players currently declared as having numbers - and that list contains 5 U-21s in Ward-Prowse, Chambers, Shaw, Gazzaniga and Isgrove so we only have 19 senior pros with numbers.

The list however does not contain the numbers 11, 14, (15), 17 or 19, or the names of Sharp, Hammond, (Forren - fair enough, we only just sold him), Forte or Lee - which "coincidentally" also happen to be the players who were allocated those numbers last season.

So if we now name all of our senior pros we have 19+4=23.

There's still room for two more before Sharp and co WON'T be listed on the squad list - unless we sell them by Sep 2nd they will have to be named whether they're in the plans or not.

Mayuka has a bit of pace and is able to stretch teams late on in games, particularly when we're under a bit of pressure and we need an outlet ball. He will run the channels and his pace means he is capable of beating a player. He changed the game last season against Spurs for example.

Sharp hasn't shown any attributes at all to make me think he would be an asset in the Prem.

Not convinced Mayuka is the answer but he has more to offer than Sharp I think

I personally think that Mayuka may have quite a bit of talent but that he needs to learn to exploit it against far better defenders than he's been used to before coming to the PL. For that he needs games but I'm not sure that he'll get them with us unless we progress in the Capital One Cup.

I personally think that Mayuka may have quite a bit of talent but that he needs to learn to exploit it against far better defenders than he's been used to before coming to the PL. For that he needs games but I'm not sure that he'll get them with us unless we progress in the Capital One Cup.

I don't disagree, I was just answering Alpine's question and offering an opinion on why he is preferred to Sharp. Like many others, I think we need to buy a CF and hopefully get a season long loan sorted out for Mayuka

Just to further confuse matters, the Premier League rules state that squad lists basically have to consist of consecutive numbers. Last season we had more than 25 senior pros so they didn't all get named.

We only have 24 players currently declared as having numbers - and that list contains 5 U-21s in Ward-Prowse, Chambers, Shaw, Gazzaniga and Isgrove so we only have 19 senior pros with numbers.

The list however does not contain the numbers 11, 14, (15), 17 or 19, or the names of Sharp, Hammond, (Forren - fair enough, we only just sold him), Forte or Lee - which "coincidentally" also happen to be the players who were allocated those numbers last season.

So if we now name all of our senior pros we have 19+4=23.

There's still room for two more before Sharp and co WON'T be listed on the squad list - unless we sell them by Sep 2nd they will have to be named whether they're in the plans or not.

so in fact last season somewhere or other we must have had a 40 and a 41 is that right ? Otherwise Puncheon couldn't be 42. Probably youth team players.

so in fact last season somewhere or other we must have had a 40 and a 41 is that right ? Otherwise Puncheon couldn't be 42. Probably youth team players.

Officially I don't think 40 and 41 were ever stated (which is strange given that Hoskins, Moore, Sinclair, Gape and Robinson all had numbers) - but we must have at least named someone on the original list to the Premier League even if they never actually used them.

Either that or the PL just decided to ignore it, as the main purpose of the rule is to stop players taking unnecessarily high numbers for no good reason (viz Wanyama at Celtic, half the AS Roma squad and loads of Turkish players).

My mistake, the official rule http://www.premierleague.com/content/dam/premierleague/site-content/News/publications/handbooks/premier-league-handbook-2012-2013.pdf states :

"M.3. Save with the prior written consent of the Board shirt numbers shall commence

with the number one and shall be allocated consecutively."

So we could have asked for permission. It's a £300 fine in the first instance, then £600, then £1200. After that it's off to the PL's Disciplinary Process.

The Form 12 referred to in rule M.6 has numbers up to 46 on it, just for the record.

To get this back on topic, I think Mayuka offers more pace and a potentially much better upside than Sharp, but I was surprised that we didn't give Sharp any kind of chance to make an impact at all last year, especially when, unlike Hammond, Barnard and Dickson, he actually featured in early squads.

I think Sharp is as capable of being a Prem player as Grant Holt was, but he wouldn't be a player you'd be signing now if he wasn't already ours. Then again there's at least 3 other fairly regular starters I could say that about.

My issue here is Sharpe has had chances in Pre-season to show that he really really wants to play and get a chance. I however haven't seen any effort on his part to show this. Ok he has been told he's not in the frame fine, but if he really wants to play then he should get off his backside and show the club he is worth them changing their mind.

Simples.

All of you who claim to know all about Billy Sharpe and his situation at Saints please answer this.

Who are/is the players/player who didn't want Sharpe in the team at the start of last season, the playerts/player who left the club no choice than to ship Sharpe out on loan.

What is the political reason he was shunted aside? For example, was Sharpe given a choice between his foundation activities and playing. For a professional footballer even I feel/felt Billy was too involved in his foundation and in the clubs place would have had words with him or requested he cut back or choose.

Billy had to wait till June 10th to meet up with Pochettino. By that time the tour squad had be decided. Yet, from then Billy returned to the club and began training based on Pochettino accepting he would fight to play for the first team. Radhi stated he was working extremely hard in training with the Under 21 squad, whereas Saint Charlie told us he was at home doing nothing.

As things stand, we have Lambert, Jrod, Mayuka, Isgrove, Guly and Sharp. That is unless Lee is still on the books, although I thought he had gone.

Looking at that, I feel sorry for BS.

Who of these players can score goals, has scored goals for the first team. Goals are what we are lacking for some time so why do we ignore a player who can score goals. Who is the player who prevented Sharpe being picked after the return from pre season last year. Who influenced the manager at the time?

My issue here is Sharpe has had chances in Pre-season to show that he really really wants to play and get a chance. I however haven't seen any effort on his part to show this. Ok he has been told he's not in the frame fine, but if he really wants to play then he should get off his backside and show the club he is worth them changing their mind.

Simples.

B*ll*cks had he had a chance..

Radhi stated he was working extremely hard in training with the Under 21 squad, whereas Saint Charlie told us he was at home doing nothing.

I have never said that. What I said was that he hasn't been training with the first team very much, if at all.

That is 100% correct.

If they rated him that much, why didnt he go to Spain?

Who the hell is Sharpe ?

Anyway, I personally agree, he definately should be given a chance, everyone should and for that reason I fully expect Forte and Hammond to be in the starting line up come the 17th along with Sharp leading the line.

Imagine the technical brilliance of Hammond playing of Sharp the lone front man with his hold up ability, only made better by Forte's direct running and pin point crosses

WOW

I can only be dissapointed Forcast isnt here to share this wonderful display of sentimentality and justice

Edited by Smirking_Saint