Lambert joins Liverpool

JxgrSaint

if we can get £8M for him before the WC - and he gets injured....

IF, but the figure of £4m is being touted.

It does seem a lot of money for a 32 year old who at times seemed to struggle last year...

As I said on another thread, it all depends what happens to the money and which manager we get in. if we get a good manager and they get all this money + more then that's a good sign of intent!

However I am wondering now... It does make the statement of no offers on the table look rather stupid!

Reading that though, it brought back memories of selling Shearer, and the "Dixon and Speedie will get more goals..."

It does seem a lot of money for a 32 year old who at times seemed to struggle last year...

As I said on another thread, it all depends what happens to the money and which manager we get in. if we get a good manager and they get all this money + more then that's a good sign of intent!

However I am wondering now... It does make the statement of no offers on the table look rather stupid!

But at the time Reed said that I don't dispute that was true.

If the fee is 8 million then I can't complain. To get that for a 32-year old striker, who might be an England international and top English scorer in the Prem (last year at least?) but is at the end of his career is great. Plus it's his boyhood club so I'm sure he'd do everything for a move.

Thank you Rickie, it's been amazing and I wish you well back home!

Atletico Madrid. Just won La Liga and came within a couple of minutes of added time of winning the Champions League too. Players linked to moves so far (to Premier League big boys and elsewhere): Diego Costa, Miranda, Juanfran, Koke, Gabi, David Silva... have I missed anyone?

They will lose maybe three of them, pick themselves up, make a couple of good buys, bring on a couple of kids, and go again.

No reason why we can't do the same.

(Although it will still be heartbreaking to read the caption on the telly 'Rickie Lambert (Liverpool)' when he comes on after 77 minutes against Italy and then scores... Just stay until July 15th, Rickie, it's a sentimental thing.)

Look no reasonable Saints fan will begrudge Lambert this move. The issue is the domino effect this is likely to have on departures and club morale. We have seen Poch and Lambert (virtually) leave this week, talks with Utd over Shaw have also resumed today. Time for the happy clappers to pull their heads out from the sand and get real.

We have had nothing but waffle and contradictory bull**** from the club since that statement from Les Reed.

£4m + add-ons

SSN have just reported as the fee agreed.

£4m? Sounds like we were out negotiated at the end to me. Still, if I was a Liverpool fan now i'd be wondering if a striker who looked off the pace at times this season in the last year or so of his career was worth it. But hey - 10 goals next season from a super substitute may win them the League.

£4m? Sounds like we were out negotiated at the end to me. Still, if I was a Liverpool fan now i'd be wondering if a striker who looked off the pace at times this season in the last year or so of his career was worth it. But hey - 10 goals next season from a super substitute may win them the League.

it is almost a freebee for them at that price.

it would be for us also with the mental TV money

Look no reasonable Saints fan will begrudge Lambert this move. The issue is the domino effect this is likely to have on departures and club morale. We have seen Poch and Lambert (virtually) leave this week, talks with Utd over Shaw have also resumed today. Time for the happy clappers to pull their heads out from the sand and get real.

We have had nothing but waffle and contradictory bull**** from the club since that statement from Les Reed.

we have nothing but waffle and contradictory bullsh*t from the club since the 15th January. What happened to the CEO we held interviews for, oh yes died a death and got a beancounter on the job, what happened to one in one out, oh yes 2 out...

£4m + add-ons

SSN have just reported as the fee agreed.

very poor.

Talk your way out of this one, Ralph, Les, whoever..

Forget Ronald Koeman as the next manager, Ronald Macf^ckingDonald will be more appropriate.

we have nothing but waffle and contradictory bullsh*t from the club since the 15th January. What happened to the CEO we held interviews for, oh yes died a death and got a beancounter on the job, what happened to one in one out, oh yes 2 out...

Absolutely.

I was prepared for MP going, I am prepared for Shaw and Lallana.

But Rickie ? I mean all the best to him but the heart has just been ripped out of Southampton for me.

Ok. I admit it. I've been trying to keep the faith and stay positive but this (the way it's being done and the fee, not letting RL go) is just bad.

Would never have happened under Cortese. Which, of course, is exactly what he wants everyone to know. We haven't seen the last of him.

Absolutely.

I was prepared for MP going, I am prepared for Shaw and Lallana.

But Rickie ? I mean all the best to him but the heart has just been ripped out of Southampton for me.

doesn't stop there, Morgan is as good as gone, he's been very diplomatic about it for sure but he'll put in a written request this summer.

very poor.

Talk your way out of this one, Ralph, Les, whoever..

Forget Ronald Koeman as the next manager, Ronald Macf^ckingDonald will be more appropriate.

I think I would be less worried if these players were being sold after we annouced a new Manager! As people have said you cannot begrudge him his move, but it's more the timing of this after what RK said.

"Any transfers that take place will be under our terms. We will decide the terms to potential transfers in and out of the club.

"We will involve the manager. That is important for everybody to know. That's why we have been able to not agree to any transfers to date, because we have control of the situation, and anybody who is saying anything else doesn't understand that we are in a strong position with the Saints."

PL Combined Goals and Assists Last Season

Luis Suárez Liverpool 31 13 44

Daniel Sturridge Liverpool 22 7 29

Yaya Touré Manchester City 20 9 29

Wayne Rooney Manchester United 17 10 27

Steven Gerrard Liverpool 13 14 27

Sergio Agüero Manchester City 17 6 23

Olivier Giroud Arsenal 16 7 23

Rickie Lambert Southampton 13 10 23

Romelu Lukaku Everton 15 6 21

Eden Hazard Chelsea 14 7 21

Wilfried Bony Swansea City 17 3 20

Edin Džeko Manchester City 16 4 20

Sure he's 32, but tell me who else on that list you could buy for £15mil, let alone 4. Put another way, how much will it cost us to replace those 23 goals?

Don't blame Rickie for a second but this is a joke business wise.

Ok. I admit it. I've been trying to keep the faith and stay positive but this (the way it's being done and the fee, not letting RL go) is just bad.

Would never have happened under Cortese. Which, of course, is exactly what he wants everyone to know. We haven't seen the last of him.

Thought he was coming back as a saviour buying us ?

What happened to that little theory ?

PL Combined Goals and Assists Last Season

Luis SuárezLiverpool311344

Daniel SturridgeLiverpool22729

Yaya TouréManchester City20929

Wayne RooneyManchester United171027

Steven GerrardLiverpool131427

Sergio AgüeroManchester City17623

Olivier GiroudArsenal16723

Rickie LambertSouthampton131023

Romelu LukakuEverton15621

Eden HazardChelsea14721

Wilfried BonySwansea City17320

Edin DžekoManchester City16420

Sure he's 32, but tell me who else on that list you could buy for £15mil, let alone 4. Put another way, how much will it cost us to replace those 23 goals?

Don't blame Rickie for a second but this is a joke business wise.

Agreed. Appalling lack of appreciation of his value.

Thought he was coming back as a saviour buying us ?

What happened to that little theory ?

probably waiting until the fire sale is over, club will be worth far less. Can't see him coming back myself, honestly he's gone for good. Doesn't do the current outfit any harm to have crap heaped on Cortese at every time that they do something unpopular with the fans, letting him be blamed for events largely outside his control suits them well.

Edited by Window Cleaner

I think I would be less worried if these players were being sold after we annouced a new Manager! As people have said you cannot begrudge him his move, but it's more the timing of this after what RK said.

"Any transfers that take place will be under our terms. We will decide the terms to potential transfers in and out of the club.

"We will involve the manager. That is important for everybody to know. That's why we have been able to not agree to any transfers to date, because we have control of the situation, and anybody who is saying anything else doesn't understand that we are in a strong position with the Saints."

Looking rather hollow now isn't it ?

One thing that worries me about selling Rickie without a managers input is not knowing the impact that he had in the changing room, the bit we don't see. Will it mean others will fold and go?

Yep - there seems to be nothing holding the club or the team together. I was very positive about everything, and would have been had we not started selling before we had a manager in! I think that's the key and where everything has gone wrong. They could have said to Lambert - yes we'll let you go but jsut wait for a new manager then we won't stand in your way. It's not ****ing difficult! I believe he would have given the club that

probably waiting until the fire sale is over, club will be worth far less. Can't see him coming back myself, honestly he's gone for good. Doesn't do the current outfit any harm to have crap heaped on Cortese at every time that they do something unpopular with the fans, letting him be blamed for events largely outside his control suits them well.

In which case I assume the undermining of the club is just for his self-satisfaction and ego boosting. They failed without me.

One thing that worries me about selling Rickie without a managers input is not knowing the impact that he had in the changing room, the bit we don't see. Will it mean others will fold and go?

I'm sure the likes of Lovren and Schneiderlin are buzzing at thought of playing in a team minus Lambert, Shaw and Lallana, with no Pochettino and without the man that in Lovren's case sold him the ambition of the club.

Pretty clear both will be looking to leave.

perhaps he ran the sale of Lambert by the entire managerial short list yesterday whilst he was at Burton, I mean they were probably all there watching our U19s dominate world football. Look we've got Gallagher he's fantastic OK to sell Lambert, yeah Ralph whatever, we can get someone in the draft, probably have to trade up in the 4th round though, offer Pompey a couple of next year's draft picks and ten quid.

I just don't get it.

Don't get me wrong, I don't blame Rickie for a second. We all know it was his boyhood dream to play for Liverpool, and he's no doubt getting a payrise to boot.

But to sell him for £4m? I'm sorry, that's a fecking insult. He may be 32, but his contribution makes him worth a whole crapload more than that. SFC is screwing themselves with this. Might as well sell the whole first team on the cheap. Maybe they're trying to speed up the process of more league derbies against Pompey. FFS.

People who say he wants to go because he loves the club are forgetting that a short while ago he said his love is for Southampton now. I know people will dismiss it but i genuinely believe he is a saints fan now rather than a liverpool fan. The way he was singing along with OWTS on the lap of honour showed that as well.