Lambert joins Liverpool

JxgrSaint

Can't believe the Sky coverage. Still saying "Sky sources believe Liverpool are close to agreeing a 9M fee"

I can't find any reliable confirmation of this anywhere - just typical Sky.

In fact all that has happened is an offer seems to have been made and Saints have rejected it, but they have suggested that, if the right offer (absolutely no figure mentioned) is received and RL wants the move, Saints won't stand in his way.

We are clearly NOT close to agreeing a fee, although I think it will probably happen once the new manager is in place.

Edited by Shroppie

People find it very easy to say 'no one is bigger than the club' when somebody has already left.

Now is when that principle is really tested. Do we deny our talisman his dream move for the good of the club?

Yes, for now.

At least until after the WC. This move is just damaging the morale of everyone involved with the club, other players in particular. I wonder if this move by Liverpool is designed to influence Lallana in seeking to join his team mate.

if he would be 4th choice, who would be 3rd?

If he goes he'll be back-up and might get games in the early euro rounds,

He has been a great servant for us, but I realistically think he has only a season or so left playing regularly.

He was beginning to show his age towards the end of last season. Having said all that we love him to bits and having been part of Saints revival from the 3rd tier I would be sad to see him go

If you check again on the Kruguer interview he makes the point that all the key players are on long-term contracts and that any transfers out will be on Southampton's terms. Also said he wanted the new manager involved in 'some' of the transfer decisions, a phrase that he then corrected to 'all' of the decisions. Its hard to see the chairman of a multi-million pound business, which SFC is, allowing his words to be misconstrued. That doesn't rule out letting Lambert go if they judge that he is replaceable and that the fee is more than adequate and, as many on here have said, his age suggests that we have seen his best years. But Kruguer's interview would still indicate consultation with the new manager before any deal is signed and that does mean that no deal is done unless and until it is done. If they were to go ahead with a sale before the manager is appointed, that would undermine Kruguer's position and put him in the firing line of the fans which you would expect him to want to avoid.

If he goes he'll be back-up and might get games in the early euro rounds,

He has been a great servant for us, but I realistically think he has only a season or so left playing regularly.

He was beginning to show his age towards the end of last season. Having said all that we love him to bits and having been part of Saints revival from the 3rd tier I would be sad to see him go

Despite which we were always a better team with him in the side.

Otherwise agree with you.

MLT sums this up nicely

If Rickie joins lfc i will say good luck to him and thanks for helping to resurrect #sfc its His boyhood team and in CL. #stillahero

Lets not panic about possible exits until you see how the funds are reinvested in the squad and see how we look when season starts

do any of you stop and think for one minute that players may have clauses in their contracts that allow them to talk to other clubs if a clause is triggered???.....suppose it is just easier to blame someone else.....seems to be the norm nowadays this blame culture....

If there is such a clause in any player's contract Kruguer would not have been able to say that decisions to transfer would be on Southampton's terms. That seems to be evidence that there is no such clause. What evidence is there to the contrary?>

MLT sums this up nicely

If Rickie joins lfc i will say good luck to him and thanks for helping to resurrect #sfc its His boyhood team and in CL. #stillahero

Lets not panic about possible exits until you see how the funds are reinvested in the squad and see how we look when season starts

This

From the Telegraph's report (which says that Liverpool are hoping to secure a 'bargain' £4m switch):

"Liverpool are adamant they will not go beyond their carefully calculated valuations – something they believe the club has done too often in the past."

That can only be a good thing. Price them out.

From the Telegraph's report (which says that Liverpool are hoping to secure a 'bargain' £4m switch):

"Liverpool are adamant they will not go beyond their carefully calculated valuations – something they believe the club has done too often in the past."

And have Rickie sulking for ever more...yeah right, I'd see that as standing in his way myself, deliberately pricing him out of the move.

If we fold and let them bully us into selling dirt cheap, they'll keep coming back and beating us up for our bargains. Bloody Swansea extracted 15m for the awful Joe Allen. 4m for england international is an utter joke

And have Rickie sulking for ever more...yeah right, I'd see that as standing in his way myself, deliberately pricing him out of the move.

Club needs to serve its own interests. Selling Rickie for a packet of peanuts because he wants to go there would be ridiculous. Liverpool need to pay a decent fee if they want him, at least match what we turned down from West Ham in Jan.

Ricky owes us nothing - He has had 5 great seasons here where he has effectively been our talisman during our rise from the 3rd tier.

Before coming to us he was a Bristol Rovers player, but he has risen with us to the Premiership, going to a world cup so it kinda makes sense that he would like to close his playing career with his boyhood club.

If he goes, he will go with grateful thanks from me and with all good wishes.

woud this mean, like MP, Lambert would have used us as a stepping stone to further his own career and pay packet?

obviously, no one will agree to that

Different circumstances entirely. Pochettino was only here for a short time and it in the early stages of his career in management. Ricky has helped us climb through the divsions and is at the end of his career.

If he goes before the WC, I'll be completely gutted.

If he goes after the WC, I'll be disappointed that he won't be at Saints, but otherwise delighted for him

If he stays, fantastic.

But it seems all that's happened so far is a bid has been made and rejected. Just like RK said...there may be transactions, but on our terms.

if he sulks he sulks. What the **** is he going to do after a few weeks? refuse to play for the rest of his contract? sure he may be annoyed for a little but but Christ on a bike life's too short to hold grudges. he will understand exactly the reason why we don't want to let him go.

Call me naïve to the ways of modern football but I would hold them all to contract and be ****ed with their mood swings. If they don't play any football, lose their win bonus etc then they will soon start getting their heads around the need to play.

Id rather have a ****ed off lallana, lambert, shaw and sniederlin in the team than a happy go lucky championship replacement.

Simon Peach ‏@SimonPeach 1m

Rickie Lambert is set to undergo a medical at #LFC on Saturday after a fee was agreed with #SaintsFC, Press Association Sport understands

Will this be one of those Liverpool say 4 million, Saints say 8 million and the truth lies somewhere in between I wonder ?

Will this be one of those Liverpool say 4 million, Saints say 8 million and the truth lies somewhere in between I wonder ?

Krueger says 'we will sell on our terms'

Liverpool offer £150k, Saints say no we want £4m for a full England International Striker.......Liverpool bite our hand off, Krueger thinks we have negotiated a good deal.

Laughing stock

If he goes after the WC, I'll be disappointed that he won't be at Saints, but otherwise delighted for him

If he stays, fantastic.

But it seems all that's happened so far is a bid has been made and rejected. Just like RK said...there may be transactions, but on our terms.

Does it make that much difference?

He's been picked on his Saints form. We all know that.

With the younger players, it absolutely makes a difference. They can come out of the WC worth millions more, depending on how good they are.

Rickie is 32. Let's split the difference between 4m and 9m and say the fee is around 6m. Is his value really going to increase beyond that? The fee might even reflect LFC's desire to do business now.

if he sulks he sulks. What the **** is he going to do after a few weeks? refuse to play for the rest of his contract? sure he may be annoyed for a little but but Christ on a bike life's too short to hold grudges. he will understand exactly the reason why we don't want to let him go.

Call me naïve to the ways of modern football but I would hold them all to contract and be ****ed with their mood swings. If they don't play any football, lose their win bonus etc then they will soon start getting their heads around the need to play.

Id rather have a ****ed off lallana, lambert, shaw and sniederlin in the team than a happy go lucky championship replacement.

I think that's a bit extreme, but your sentiment is right. If you want to progress you have to say to the players that they are going nowhere at some stage.

Extremely naive - don't even bring Carroll into it.

Did you see BR's press conference from the first game? Spoke gushingly about Lambert and the technical side of his game. Remember he would be a 4th choice to replace replace the ineffectual Aspas. Would be a decent option when teams come to park the bus and drop deeper. He can hold the ball up in dangerous areas and will have time to play others in as well as provide an aerial threat relative to Sturridge and Suarez. They don't have an option like that. Away from home, it's a different matter. He doesn't fit their counterattacking style. But as I say, he's going to fill the squad, not be an every game starter.

where are you putting him to play in their fluid style of play and in whose place? You then mention an aerial threat but tell me not to mention Carroll. My point was that BR did not want the big man up front, not that i was comparing the 2

I'm really gutted about this one. Have tried to remain optimistic, but I genuinely fear for our club now. We are a laughing stock. Depressing times & I just want to punch RK in his smug American face right now.

With the younger players, it absolutely makes a difference. They can come out of the WC worth millions more, depending on how good they are.

Rickie is 32. Let's split the difference between 4m and 9m and say the fee is around 6m. Is his value really going to increase beyond that? The fee might even reflect LFC's desire to do business now.

I think it's more that people want to be able to cheer on our legendary saints striker at the world cup. Selling him before that means it will not be the same.

Simon Peach ‏@SimonPeach 1m

Rickie Lambert is set to undergo a medical at #LFC on Saturday after a fee was agreed with #SaintsFC, Press Association Sport understands

Well if there's any substance in that then it looks like we played really hard-ball, controlled the situation down to the last detail and consulted the incoming manager about it. If he signs for them before the WC then I think we can discount anything that Krueger says as highly debatable, as some of us have warned you all on the odd occasion..

Ricky owes us nothing - He has had 5 great seasons here where he has effectively been our talisman during our rise from the 3rd tier.

Before coming to us he was a Bristol Rovers player, but he has risen with us to the Premiership, going to a world cup so it kinda makes sense that he would like to close his playing career with his boyhood club.

If he goes, he will go with grateful thanks from me and with all good wishes.

This. 100%, people acting like players owe us their lives, if anyone in SFC deserves this with good wishes it's SRL - just hope the board has a suitable list of replacements and funds to get them, i dont think people like RdB or Koeman would come here without funds available

I think the point is, how are we going to replace a full Engaland International striker? £4M, £6M, £8M ETC is pittance when you look at the £80m at stake

Like KingdomCome, I'll also be massively disappointed if Lambert was to go before the World Cup in spite of all the good business that might come out of it. Yes, it's an emotional response, but as a Southampton fan I am thrilled that we have the opportunity to field three of our biggest talents at the most illustrious international stage. It now seems unlikely that we'll even get one beyond the younger teams.

If he goes after the WC, I'll be disappointed that he won't be at Saints, but otherwise delighted for him.

On the plus side, if he misses a vital penalty I won't be half as disappointed. He'll just be a useless scouse ***t !

if we can get £8M for him before the WC - and he gets injured....

It does seem a lot of money for a 32 year old who at times seemed to struggle last year...

As I said on another thread, it all depends what happens to the money and which manager we get in. if we get a good manager and they get all this money + more then that's a good sign of intent!

However I am wondering now... It does make the statement of no offers on the table look rather stupid!

where are you putting him to play in their fluid style of play and in whose place? You then mention an aerial threat but tell me not to mention Carroll. My point was that BR did not want the big man up front, not that i was comparing the 2

Unlike Carroll, he has more to his game than just aerial ability (as you point out); but the fact is that he is better in the air than Sturridge and Suarez. He's played in a fluid system with us, so I don't see the transition being that difficult.

He won't many start games (maybe some of the domestic cup competitions); rather he'll be happy to warm bench -another reason why he's attractive to them. If they need to change things, then he provides something else -at whose expense, who knows. Depends on the flow of any given game.

Edited by shurlock