Lambert joins Liverpool

JxgrSaint

Just thinking aloud here, but could it be that we've agreed to the strange timing of this on the basis that we've got the agreement of whoever our new manager is likely to be, but don't want to have "the sale of an icon/talisman" on his watch, so getting the s**te out the way, before the new chap can arrive with a clean slate.

Probably bulls**t, but just an idea.

I don't think these deals are about the £££ from their perspective. What's the point of keeping any player who doesn't want to be here.

Because they are professionals

How many players actually go into a strop and stop playing when moves break down?

Very very few

We are not some sort of charity to English football, ffs

I don't agree. Adam could easily have fckued off for 500k when we went into League One but chose to stay, he owes the club nothing. Rickie has been magnificent for us, surpassed all expectations, paid us back tenfold and you can understand him wanting to play for the team he supports...just as we would if we were in the same situation.

I don't want to them to go either but you can understand their motives - I trust the club will get the right deal for them.

Saints have paid them well and helped get them international recognition. The club should feel no hesistation in blocking the moves if it damages saints.

Trust me, players were more than happy enough to stay here. It's like they have literately put everything up for sale and are entertaining any phone call.

Ok, they've rejected bids, but it's probably followed by....''But if you came back with this, we'd accept''. Not hard nosed, easy pickings of English football once again.

''Come to Southampton, we do all the handwork and develop these players for you. They're now available for you''

How many players actually go into a strop and stop playing when moves break down?

Very very few

If the top teams come calling and the player wants to go they will go eventually - it is that simple unfortunately. All the board can do is get the best price they can.

Very very few

How many attempts from one of the big four don't actually happen?

I can genuinely only think of Baines.

Its just a million miles from "Well they are under contract".

If the top teams come calling and the player wants to go they will go eventually - it is that simple unfortunately. All the board can do is get the best price they can.

Just give up.

When have you ever seen a break up on this scale that is about to happen?

Adam Blackmore ‏@bigadamsport 3m

>> #saintsfc club say they're under no financial pressure to sell players - have already turned down offers for Lallana & Shaw

but might sell them anyway?

To be honest I imagine Ricky is putting as much pressure on them as he can.

I love Lambert but I guess if someone had to go I'd rather it was him than Adam or Luke.

Trust me, players were more than happy enough to stay here. It's like they have literately put everything up for sale and are entertaining any phone call.

Ok, they've rejected bids, but it's probably followed by....''But if you came back with this, we'd accept''. Not hard nosed, easy pickings of English football once again.

''Come to Southampton, we do all the handwork and develop these players for you. They're now available for you''

To what point though? Do you really think the owner is just going asset strip and leave?

Trust me, players were more than happy enough to stay here.

Happy to stay until the big bucks came in. 18 year old footballers, do not give up the chance to quadruple their wages, get a % of a huge sell on fee and get to play for Man utd.

You are in cloud kooko land.

I've had a season ticket for 28 years but I've had enough now. Ambition gone. Still follow saints but we are a feeder club and I get more stress than happiness out if it tbh.

Don't give up Rog. It'll be an entertaining season I reckon, maybe not in a mainly positive way...! but I don't see us going down, i'll put that out there now. We'll probably be in a battle of sorts though - so the end will be exciting!

Happy to stay until the big bucks came in. 18 year old footballers, do not give up the chance to quadruple their wages, get a % of a huge sell on fee and get to play for Man utd.

You are in cloud kooko land.

Some really strange posts on here tonight even by this board's standards. I don't get what people want. The players locked in a room so they can't leave?

Don't give up Rog. It'll be an entertaining season I reckon, maybe not in a mainly positive way...! but I don't see us going down, i'll put that out there now. We'll probably be in a battle of sorts though - so the end will be exciting!

I hear what you say mate but I have just had enough. Family now and will miss sitting with my family of 8 season ticket holders. The thing was back in nineties we had le tiss who was not just much better than all our current players but also however good he would get would always stay with us. Footballs too much about money now and no room for a forest to win league anymore. The fa cup this season said it all. Will still support saints but not every game.

So how much is that Cambridge United season ticket! :( so ****ed off right now!

#whatisthepoint?

No one has been sold yet but if / when it happens we've basically gone from being on the cusp of something special and upsetting the hierarchy of football in this country with a core of young English players...into an absolute f**king mess with no manager, no talisman, no captain, no best teenager in the world...and anyone else who fancies following.

Looks like £650 ST down the toilet at the moment and can't imagine for one minute that the 30 million we spend on ....7 new players will work out favourably either...

Personally I think it's ******, why would Liverpool buy Lambert? I think the press have come up with the Lambert /scouse link and put 2 and 2 together. Kruger says no one's going until the new boss gets in. He's admitted mistakes already and if he's ****ed up here then his credibility is gone.

Feels like all that fabulous work Cortese did on the 5 year plan is being dismantled in one summer. As I feared when NC left us; letting him go was a very, very, very big mistake. Next step will be KL selling the club altogether

Personally I think it's ******, why would Liverpool buy Lambert? I think the press have come up with the Lambert /scouse link and put 2 and 2 together. Kruger says no one's going until the new boss gets in. He's admitted mistakes already and if he's ****ed up here then his credibility is gone.

Rickie has gone.

#whatisthepoint?

No one has been sold yet but if / when it happens we've basically gone from being on the cusp of something special and upsetting the hierarchy of football in this country with a core of young English players...into an absolute f**king mess with no manager, no talisman, no captain, no best teenager in the world...and anyone else who fancies following.

Looks like £650 ST down the toilet at the moment and can't imagine for one minute that the 30 million we spend on ....7 new players will work out favourably either...

Superb,exactly how I feel.

I don't begrudge Rickie the move, nor Adam to be honest. MoPo less so, And I get that everyone has a price. But there has to be some recognition of how this all looks when it happens *at once* - to fans, to the squad, to players were trying to bring and to a prospective managers.

You can't do good business when it looks like you're in meltdown, when you aren't in control and when your actions don't square with your public statements.

Would it kill anyone to wait until after the WC? Or until we've got a manager even? Why aren't we taking any proactive steps of our own (why no contract for Cork etc?) We might well have planned for all this, but that's not how it looks, and that will have consequences.

Anyone have any idea on Liverpool fans view of this? Seems a very odd signing for them to make - I would be pretty underwhelmed tbh.
Was my thought as well. He's been an absolute legend for us, but not sure how much they'll get out of him over the next couple of years.

I hear what you say mate but I have just had enough. Family now and will miss sitting with my family of 8 season ticket holders. The thing was back in nineties we had le tiss who was not just much better than all our current players but also however good he would get would always stay with us. Footballs too much about money now and no room for a forest to win league anymore. The fa cup this season said it all. Will still support saints but not every game.

Brilliant ,had mine since KK signed but all this leaves a sour taste. It was more fun in the last few years building up to now but somehow I knew that last home game was the end if an era for me.

Anyone have any idea on Liverpool fans view of this? Seems a very odd signing for them to make - I would be pretty underwhelmed tbh.

If the peanuts fee is correct I assume they'll be hoping their board keep buying our players because if we're willing to sell him for that imagine the scarily low fees we'll accept for the rest of the squad.

Some of our fans haven't quite grasped how modern football works in this country. We're all feeder clubs for the top 6 and there's nothing we can do about it.
Not just that, but they get far too attached to players that are just working through a career. All the "Rickie" this and that and "I saw Luke in Nandos", "I wonder how Adz feels about all this" it's s**te, players and managers will come and go, if they get an offer they'll usually go for it unfortunately.

If this is true then the new board are an utter disgrace.

Rickie is a Saints legend and was the one player I was sure we would keep.

My hope for next season has just dropped off a cliff.