Lambert joins Liverpool

JxgrSaint

Ricky owes us nothing - He has had 5 great seasons here where he has effectively been our talisman during our rise from the 3rd tier.

Before coming to us he was a Bristol Rovers player, but he has risen with us to the Premiership, going to a world cup so it kinda makes sense that he would like to close his playing career with his boyhood club.

If he goes, he will go with grateful thanks from me and with all good wishes.

Agreed - and well said

He will be missed of course for what he has done for Saints, before we even knew we were a project with a product. He has been a legend for us and owes us nothing. I'm glad the club aren't standing in his way and wish him all the luck in the world - stuff of dreams for him and he deserves it.

I wonder if Burnley will roll over and let us sign Ings for a pittance?

:lol: "we owed it to the lad, he's been a good servant & this was his chance to join his hometown club. We couldn't stand in his way, even though we had bigger offer from West Ham."

Fuming. He has been our main man as we've risen up the leagues, he deserves the chance to play for his boyhood club, the bloke will always be a hero to me. BUT, bending over like this for a poxy £4m+ add ons (roughly 10% of the extra Prize money fund) is an insult to paying season ticket holders.

I renewed today, but then our board (and every other on the league) know what we do we do without rational. Idiots the lot of us. Slowly we supporters, the lifeblood of the game, have become a group of people treated with contempt by players and club employees. I'm gutted, I feel powerless and know the players and boardrooms that control OUR game havn't got the first clue how it feels for a normal bloke like me that pays a huge chunk of money for a ST and plenty more on extras through the season, feels when their club gets picked apart by vultures. For them it's "business" for us it's more than that. But hey, we are the mugs, we pay the money, we shout, scream, swear, cheer and moan for 90 minutes, take that through the week and pay for the privilege whilst they make tens of thousands a week whilst looking for their next deal. I'm not tlking about Rickie here, I'm talking about the lot of 'em.

We're mugs, we give a **** when we shouldn't. But we can't help it. I'm off to get drunk.

Up the Saints

Due to a bizarre meeting in New York, I was for the first time ITK .....with regard to Lamberts transfer to West Ham.

Apparently he was gutted and didn't understand why the club wanted to sell him, but if he wasn't wanted- then he would go. It would also provide a healthy pay day (% of transfer fee). The fee was 6 million( I suspect that was the total one with all the add ons and the Liverpool deal is very similar. That was under Cortese and it was the new board that ripped the deal up.

For what ever reason (I am guessing Rickie just couldn't turn it down and we have rewarded him for everything he has done) the deal is now right for us and we move on.

He would have been used less this coming season that the one just passed and judgements should be saved to see who he is replaced with.

Fantastic servant and footballer.

To suggest one player leaving turns Saints from 8th to relegation favourites is madness.

To be honest I would normally agree but I think replacing a proven goal scorer who stays fit most of the time is the hardest position to replace.

I am not saying we will be relegated but I do believe that it will be hard to find someone who can bang in 15 PL goals a year for £4m.

To suggest one player leaving turns Saints from 8th to relegation favourites is madness.

A player, a manager, the entire backroom staff and our youth team coaching setup as well as several others agitating for moves. Can you think of a club in a worse position than us right now? Leicester supposed to be spending 150m, QPR will go all out, I'd say ourselves with all the current turmoil, Villa and maybe Burnley if they don't strengthen are early bets for the drop.

Edited by farawaysaint

Due to a bizarre meeting in New York, I was for the first time ITK .....with regard to Lamberts transfer to West Ham.

Apparently he was gutted and didn't understand why the club wanted to sell him, but if he wasn't wanted- then he would go. It would also provide a healthy pay day (% of transfer fee). The fee was 6 million( I suspect that was the total one with all the add ons and the Liverpool deal is very similar. That was under Cortese and it was the new board that ripped the deal up.

For what ever reason (I am guessing Rickie just couldn't turn it down and we have rewarded him for everything he has done) the deal is now right for us and we move on.

He would have been used less this coming season that the one just passed and judgements should be saved to see who he is replaced with.

Fantastic servant and footballer.

West Ham offered £6?!!!! Blimey we have been done like a kipper by Liverpool during the negotiations haven't we?

Will we be able to replace him with someone better for £4m?

.... And buy a second striker for whatever we get for Osvaldo on top?

I think not.

A player, a manager, the entire backroom staff, and our youth team coaching setup as well as several others agitating for moves. Can you think of a club in a worse position than us right now? Leicester suppsoed to be spending 150m, QPR will go al out, I'd say ourselves with all the current turmoil, Villa and maybe Burnley if they don't strengthen are early bets for the drop.

If Leicester are spending £150m, why have they so far been signing players on free transfers like Hamer, Albrighton and Upson?

Even without Lambert, Shaw and Lallana we still have a better squad than a large number of teams in this league.

A player, a manager, the entire backroom staff, and our youth team coaching setup as well as several others agitating for moves. Can you think of a club in a worse position than us right now? Leicester suppsoed to be spending 150m, QPR will go all out, I'd say ourselves with all the current turmoil, Villa and maybe Burnley if they don't strengthen are early bets for the drop.

Blimey I'd forgotten about the youth coaches too. Sounds even worse now doesn't it?!

West Ham offered £6?!!!! Blimey we have been done like a kipper by Liverpool during the negotiations haven't we?

Will we be able to replace him with someone better for £4m?

.... And buy a second striker for whatever we get for Osvaldo on top?

I think not.

Cheer up, we have whatever we need in the academy, did Mauricio not tell us that last january ? Obviously he'd been told to say that and was at disaccordance with it.

If Leicester are spending £150m, why have they so far been signing players on free transfers like Hamer, Albrighton and Upson?

Even without Lambert, Shaw and Lallana we still have a better squad than a large number of teams in this league.

doesnt work like that does it.

norwich had a better squad than palace. its about good management, good continuity and direction along with good players

It isn't the loss of one footballer - it's the loss of spirit, the spirit that has carried us from league one upwards.

The departure that triggers off further departures. The togetherness of the squad torn up.

Rickie leaving is far more than just the loss of one footballer.

I'm sad to lose Rickie, but happy for him. You really can't begrudge him this opportunity, and being a super-sub for Liverpool is a really good role for him.

Now we need to find a replacement....

It's good move for him, nothing against that, fee none too high but hey he's 32. Problem for me is that it's contrary to things Krueger said on Wednesday, we were obviously not in control and the incoming manager obviously wasn't consulted.

Adam Blackmore @bigadamsport · 18m

Heading to Wembley for what might be a small chance of speaking to #saintsfc players - if I fail, I'll wish I'd been at Ageas Bowl

Wondering if its a small chance he'll be able to speak to them or a small chance that they'll still be saints players by the time he arrives.

I posted this on the List....

Adam Blackmore tweeted that SFC (presumably Reed) were told that it had to be done before players left for Miami or else they would forget it. And with Rickie keen to return to Liverpool they chose not to stand in his way.

From my perspective :

1. £4M for a leading goalscorer and assist maker in the EPL is peanuts. Really peanuts. The only example of a worse mistake I can think of is when Milan released Pirlo to Juventus on a free. And it IS in that category for me. else they would forget it. And with Rickie keen to return to Liverpool they chose not to stand in his way.

1. £4M for a leading goalscorer and assist maker in the EPL is peanuts. Really peanuts. The only example of a worse mistake I can think of is when Milan released Pirlo to Juventus on a free. And it IS in that category for me.

2. That “take it or leave it” is about the oldest trick in the book. Rickie still has 2 years on a contract with Saints. For Blackmore to be fed that line for it to be passed onto us – and to expect us to go “oh yeah well in which case at least we got the £4M “ is akin to suggesting Saints fans are idiots who will swallow any old codswallop. Its total cr$p. Just say “No” Les, “NO, you cannot speak with our talismanic legend ”, that’s it. It is that easy. I do not believe Rickie would ask for a transfer. Just say “NO”.

3. It renders Ralphs comments regarding not letting anyone go until the new manager is in and happy with it only a few hours/days earlier looking rather stupid. Les has made Kruger look a right chump with this move and it makes it look like the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing. I bet that he’s not a happy bunny about that.

4. I’m a recently (12months) qualified certified NLP practitioner +coach. Whilst watching the Kruger interview ~I was intently observing his body and especially his face during and in-between questions. When asked about if there was a plan he almost imperceptibly shook his head before answering, he changed colour and there were a number of micro muscular twitches evident before starting a flowery story about Europe. Even his posture during interview was guarded and sideways on. This was not the Kruger of first public speaking on behalf of Saints times only a few months back. It was a man with secrets and things to be worried and concerned about – and especially a man in the dichotomous situation of saying one thing but knowing something else is true( or truer) – but he cannot say it. There is NO plan to speak of or it’s not a plan that it’s a good idea to let us know about – probably because it’s not all that good news – or what he knows we want to hear. That’s my deduction.

5. Lastly, Rickie is much more than a SFC player. He is a talisman. His value goes beyond £££ and goals and assists. £4M – or any amount frankly given the uncertainty of the merry-go-round that is SFC at SMS is insulting. He is THE club symbol and – quite literally, the nation’s favourite boy done good story. He has brought the name of Southampton to the outside world in an incredibly positive and uplifting way. What a role model for the youngsters. You just cannot buy such a story… well apparently you cam and its £4million pounds. It is astonishing we let them speak to him and beyond reckless that we let him go.

A player, a manager, the entire backroom staff, and our youth team coaching setup as well as several others agitating for moves. Can you think of a club in a worse position than us right now? Leicester suppsoed to be spending 150m, QPR will go all out, I'd say ourselves with all the current turmoil, Villa and maybe Burnley if they don't strengthen are early bets for the drop.

Because we aren't going to spend any of the £60m we will get for Lambert, Lallana and Shaw, if all 3 of them go.

We can all be sentimental about Rickie but he is essentially a slow 32 year old striker. I doubt people will remember the ineffective performances he put in, like the home defeats against Sunderland and QPR last year when O'Shea and Samba had him in their pocket. £4m with add ons seems a bit cheap but not ridiculous. We only paid £7-8m for JRod and Lovren who are both better all round players and about 10 years younger.

A pretty dark week to be a Saints fan - top manager and cult hero departing.

Up until this point, had reserved judgement on the new board, but Poch leaving made it clear they couldn't match his ambitions and hinted at the player departures to come. And now we've bent over for Liverpool as they decided they wanted Lambert before the England squad go to Miami or they would move on - you might think that we would be in charge of that situation but in fact, we take £4m for a player about to go to the World Cup and a fan's hero at that.

Seems pretty clear that Lallana and Shaw will quite quickly follow and that quite probably wont be the last of it either - the new board are now looking every inch what they - an ice hockey coach, an accountant and a failed manager. Stop doing bloody interviews explaining how we "are in full control of all transfers" (then taking bugger all money for Lambert) and that Europe is the target for next season, when at this rate we'll be lucky to put a team out.

Still, at least "Europe's top managers are knocking at the door of the Saints right now" (RK, yesterday).....i'm now fully prepared to see Chris Hughton in the dug-out next season.

Oh, and on the day you agree a pathetic fee for a cult figure, probably not the most tactful thing to be smashing out tweets and website reminders to fans about how today is the last day to renew your season ticket.

Given that only Lambert has been confirmed as departing so far, can't decide whether i'm being over the top critical of them, but in the last few weeks, nothing that has happened has given me confidence that they are interested in anything other than selling off the top talent and RK is the smiling goon getting paid a fortune to come out, cheese it up and pretend we are in control.

Cheers to Rickie though - a genuine club legend and a Roy of the Rovers style end to his career, going to the World Cup and moving to the club that released him at 15.

Five years of brilliant times - i love that guy

To put the price into a bit of perspective we paid £4m for Forren who did **** all.

Lambert is an international playing at the World Cup for England and has scored over 100 goals for us. Having a near 1 goal in 2 games strike rate. £4m is a joke.

To be honest I would normally agree but I think replacing a proven goal scorer who stays fit most of the time is the hardest position to replace.

I am not saying we will be relegated but I do believe that it will be hard to find someone who can bang in 15 PL goals a year for £4m.

He scored 13 this season in 37 appearances, and how many of those were from open play. For me what we will miss are his assists and link up play.

He was an overweight goal poacher when he joined us.

We've shared his journey from League One to the World Cup, it has been amazing for everyone.

Whether the deal is great for us I'm not sure, but it's great for him, and I don't begrudge him the chance to go home.

Legend is an overused term.

Rickie is a legend.

So who will be the first retarded tosser to boo him if he gets a game at SMS?

4 mil plus Borini as the add ons would ease the blow.

Also following from RK's statement, perhaps he does already know who will be the manager and the new guy has sanctioned it and is bringing some of his crew in.

Of course, could be that Les has decided to shaft RK for some obscure reason. (Nice one Les if true)

Meanwhile, time to set up a Golf Thread on TMS to take my mind of all this crap.

Because we aren't going to spend any of the £60m we will get for Lambert, Lallana and Shaw, if all 3 of them go.

We can all be sentimental about Rickie but he is essentially a slow 32 year old striker. I doubt people will remember the ineffective performances he put in, like the home defeats against Sunderland and QPR last year when O'Shea and Samba had him in their pocket. £4m with add ons seems a bit cheap but not ridiculous. We only paid £7-8m for JRod and Lovren who are both better all round players and about 10 years younger.

Hence the reason Lamberts in the England squad and Liverpool want to buy him... :mcinnes:

£4 million for someone who is the fulcrum of our attack around which everything revolves; who is only just approaching his peak as his learning and nouse compensates for any drop off in pace; who featured in the top 10 players for assist and goals in the top 5 European leagues; who has at least another 4 years in him. We might as well have given him away. Certainly without him we will be relegation favourites and deservedly so. And the insult of doing it before the World Cup. Madness.

This.

Can't blame Rickie for jumping at the chance but it is still madness on our part.

Whereas I am gutted that Ricky is leaving I believe this move to Liverpool is a kind of loyalty bonus for all he has done for Saints. 2 years takes him to 34 years old and normally it wouldn't be easy for him to get another deal. All this Liverpool interest in our lads must come from being in the World Cup squad with Liverpool players.

Maybe we'll end up with Torres or Ba as part of a Luke Shaw deal to Chelsea.

He scored 13 this season in 37 appearances, and how many of those were from open play. For me what we will miss are his assists and link up play.

Only 12 people scored more goals. It doesn't matter how they are scored.

13 goals, 10 assists, and played all but 1 game this season. Good luck finding someone who can do that for £4m. Only two people had more assists.

Doesn't matter.

Lambert is 100x the player Ulloa will ever be and we've sold him for around £3.5m.

Well it does matter so get used to it.

If you buy Ulloa you will get 7 or 8 years out of him, Lambert probably has about 2 at this level.

Where did £3.5m come from?

Only 12 people scored more goals. It doesn't matter how they are scored.

13 goals, 10 assists, and played all but 1 game this season. Good luck finding someone who can do that for £4m. Only two people had more assists.

http://www.myfootballfacts.com/Premier_League_Combined_2013-14.html

Shall we put a cheeky bid in for somebody else in the top 10?

Giroud for 4m? Or maybe Hazard.

Whereas I am gutted that Ricky is leaving I believe this move to Liverpool is a kind of loyalty bonus for all he has done for Saints. 2 years takes him to 34 years old and normally it wouldn't be easy for him to get another deal. All this Liverpool interest in our lads must come from being in the World Cup squad with Liverpool players.

Maybe we'll end up with Torres or Ba as part of a Luke Shaw deal to Chelsea.

Hope we don't end up with anyone like that. It's not that they're bad players, far from it, but their motivation would probably be zero. We've made similar mistakes in the past with players with a good reputation but just going through the motions - David Hirst, Speedie, Dixon, Osvaldo and loads more. Our recent record on big money signings is hit and miss at best. We'd be better off trying to nab the next Torres or Ba rather than the actual ones. All IMO though.

Hence the reason Lamberts in the England squad and Liverpool want to buy him... :mcinnes:

He is in the England squad because he is the best available right now. When you consider the next player on the stand by list is Carroll and his 2 goals it shows just how lacking we are for English strikers.

He is a good striker and I will miss him when he goes but he is 32 years old and is replaceable. Name 3 32 year olds who have sold for more money than Lambert.