Lambert joins Liverpool

JxgrSaint

Lambert going is the sort of dagger to the heart those of us who have been around too many years have experienced far too often. If you think this is bad try Channon going to Man City, that destroyed me at the time.

This list is long Chivers, Channon, Wallace, Shearer, Walcott, Bale, Ox to name a few.

We'll get over it and lets not be holier than though we were happy enough when Saints played the big man and nicked the main man from other teams. Lambert from Rovers an ironic case in point.

The money doesn't bother me 32 year olds don't raise much money and his career at Liverpool will be brief but knowing Rickie there will be some moments to celebrate. He is cramming a 20 year career into just five years and who can blame him. I've always watched ex Saints players with indifference but I reckon Lambo will be different. What odds he misses his first penalty against Saints.

We all know his form was going and his hogging of the number 9 shirt probably led to the whole Osvaldo fiasco. Lets face facts the Italian No9 didn't come to Saints to play second fiddle to Lambert. Maybe the new manager will be able to bring Dani in from the cold. Football fans are pretty shallow and one decent goal early doors and all will be forgiven. I can see the goal celebrations now with Fonte and Osvaldo head-butting each other.

What annoys me is how this is being conducted, our board look like naïve fools and the press sense blood. The English press love to build people up and then knock them down again, it is just our turn.

Sadly he isn't going to be the last either.

2SuKsn8n_normal.jpegAdam Blackmore @bigadamsport

Worth #saintsfc fans noting a couple of things - the Lambert deal has happened very quickly, since yesterday, with Liverpool saying if it wasn't done before squad fly off to Miami, they would move on. So, with Rickie wanting to go, could Saints deny hima dream move back to Liverpool after his services to the club - and Saints get a better financial deal to push it though. Even though Lambert is only #saintsfc player to go so far, it looks like the start of the end of an era, but any new manager would be happy to have the chance to shape his own squad, with a good kitty to spend, which I'm led to believe he'll have

If Liverpool had offered a good fee i could understand the logic. As is appears Saints have sold him for a pittance as well as letting liverpool dictate the timings to ensure saints get less global publicity by having an england player on show in world cup. Unforgiveable behaviour by the board. Got to wonder what pittance fees they are going to accept for the rest of the squad if they are happy being a beggar happy with whatever spare chance liverpool are charitable enough to lob our way.

Feel much the same. Why do I find myself questioning whether this man has a clue what he's doing?

Because you've not given him sufficient time to prove one way or the other. If he makes a right horlicks of it then judge him in mid-August.

Lol. The board got £4m for him and also shifted a £6m future liability off the wage bill. By Lambert going they have freed up c£10m - clever piece of business. He was great player but he was never going to recapture what he was and seeing a 35 year old Lambert limp around the pitch in 2017 was never going to best for him or us.

The issue for me is not that we are selling 2-3 of our best players last season - it is the players we are selling. Lambert is the heart beat of the team, the focal point, the clever player with an eye for an assist and a goal threat in and out of the box. Our set-piece king. Lallana going too and also Shaw means we are losing the core of our on-field strategy and am awful lot of our attacking flair. Rodriguez would not have been the player he was last season without a massive contribution from both Lambert and Lallana. To replace this will be very difficult, but not impossible.

If (or should that be when) we lose these three, like for like replacements will be hard to find. The new manager will therefore have to implement a new style of play (which he may well have done anyway) to integrate the new players into the team. Imaging if we replaced Lambert with Bomy or Lukaku (not going to happen, I know) - they are different players who would not have the link-up play of guile of someone like Lambert. Who replaces Lallana is even more difficult. A left back coming in for sure if the least of my concerns - we won't sign one who is as good but he is less key than the other two.

We all know Rickie has got better and fitter with age so I see no reason why he couldn't play another 3 years at the top. He may lose another yard of pace, but he won't ever lose the vision and guile that has played such an important part in our success in the last few years. So, £4m for his transfer and £6m wages saved is all well and good, but replacing him for that amount of money just cannot happen.

4 million plus add on's for potentially our most important player is suicide. 9 million is a different story, but sentiment only goes so far.

we are allowing ourselves to be bent over and ****ed without any lube. Anyone is welcome to have a go.

fuming.

Good post and common sense. He was nearly sold to west ham by cortese and I reckon the board got the best price for a player whose 32 and coming to the end of his career. To much bed wetting and I expect the new manager will have a good kitty for transfers to spend.I also expect Ricky made it clear he wanted to go there.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Ricky actually said he wanted to finish his career with Saints!

What worries me more than this is the lack of any reports on the OS from the England training camp of our 3 lads preparing for tonight's game. Really odd!!!!!!!!!!

Although I still think most of the transfers talk is just that, conspiracy theorists really should be concerned about the fact that the club seem no longer to judge this as news worth reporting????????

Yes, of course it could mean that all 3 are "gone" so we longer have any interest in them? Plenty of attention for the younger lads 'though at U17 & U20 level.

This more than anything maybe the killer blow to the waning belief that all will turn out well in the end.

We are a selling club, always have been. At the very least our top players are being linked with the best clubs in the league.

Yes it's depressing at the time, it's not a good day but be pleased for Rickie and lets move the f**k on. The board have to prove themselves now, the least we can do is give them the chance to do so.

I am getting that horrible feeling of most of our first team being sold and the funds not being invested back into the team, this was why Cortese left as he knew this was the plan and he could not bear to see his hard work go down the drain. KL looks to be making as much money before tries to flog us off on the cheap.

Looks like we do have a bunch of pussies running the club now.

It's bad enough flogging one of our best players to Liverpool for £4mill but they couldn't even be arsed to give Saints fans the pleasure of watching their favourite player at the World Cup.

****ing spineless tossers

2SuKsn8n_normal.jpegAdam Blackmore @bigadamsport

Worth #saintsfc fans noting a couple of things - the Lambert deal has happened very quickly, since yesterday, with Liverpool saying if it wasn't done before squad fly off to Miami, they would move on. So, with Rickie wanting to go, could Saints deny hima dream move back to Liverpool after his services to the club - and Saints get a better financial deal to push it though. Even though Lambert is only #saintsfc player to go so far, it looks like the start of the end of an era, but any new manager would be happy to have the chance to shape his own squad, with a good kitty to spend, which I'm led to believe he'll have

Fair enough. I'm sad to see him go; can't begrudge him it.

It's his hometown club, they're in the CL

It's his last big pay day

He is on the downward slope in his career - we've discuss this loads of time already. Not scoring as freely as he was (from open play); potentially 'found out' to a degree. Still loads of offer as a plan B though

There were strong rumours of him moving on before, so perhaps he simply wants to go...

I can't be ****ed at the board for this. Not yet anyway. Let's see what happens once the new manager is in place.

I am getting that horrible feeling of most of our first team being sold and the funds not being invested back into the team, this was why Cortese left as he knew this was the plan and he could not bear to see his hard work go down the drain. KL looks to be making as much money before tries to flog us off on the cheap.

Strange that Nicola never leaked this then. He knew her dastardly plan, but it didn't appear in the Mail?

Let's be honest and apply some context to the "before the world cup sale". The most we will see of Rickie at the WC will be warming the bench for 3 games, he'll get chucked on with 10 minutes to go when we're losing to Costa Rica and then they can all fly home.

Email the club saying

We will only pay £300 for a season ticket take it or we will buy a season ticket elsewhere

Maybe a club in the CL

How does that work when buying a season ticket is a voluntary action or in most cases an involuntary action. The Club are not forcing any of us to buy it is actually quite easy to stay away.

It's no good moaning then buying or buying and then boycotting. Opting out however painful is the only way! I opted in this morning, just love all those new turf patterns and groundsmen getting soaked when the auto sprinklers come on.

Looks like we do have a bunch of pussies running the club now.

It's bad enough flogging one of our best players to Liverpool for £4mill but they couldn't even be arsed to give Saints fans the pleasure of watching their favourite player at the World Cup.

****ing spineless tossers

Yes, this is. F*ck up! exacerbated by a F*ck over. The winners are Liverpool, the media, and Lambert, in that order...

Cortese would have happily denied him his dream move - that's the difference.

Was West Ham his dream move?? One Ossie headbutt later and apparently the deal was off. No coincidence that RL then struggled for form before coming strong again a month or so later.

Yes, this is. F*ck up! exacerbated by a F*ck over. The winners are Liverpool, the media, and Lambert, in that order...

Exactly, the board of SFC should act in the interests of SFC. Not pander to some player who wants to play for an opposing side.

****ing pussies the lot of em.

Was West Ham his dream move?? One Ossie headbutt later and apparently the deal was off. No coincidence that RL then struggled for form before coming strong again a month or so later.

yeah, that is the point. he did that in the best interests of the club

then we had a very good italian striker and rodriguez baging them in

rodriguez wont play before october and ossie is finished

we are left with young sam

Exactly, the board of SFC should act in the interests of SFC. Not pander to some player who wants to play for an opposing side.

You'd show 'em wouldn't you?

There is a group of female cats on here showing their colours wayyyyyyyyyy too soon if you ask me.

Let's be honest and apply some context to the "before the world cup sale". The most we will see of Rickie at the WC will be warming the bench for 3 games, he'll get chucked on with 10 minutes to go when we're losing to Costa Rica and then they can all fly home.

Indeed.

And the fact is, he needed replacing in our team anyway. We weren't going to progress without a better striker who can actually get behind a defence regularly.

The thing that does concern me is the meassage this sends to clubs. We need to stand firm on Lovren, in particular.

yeah, that is the point. he did that in the best interests of the club

then we had a very good italian striker and rodriguez baging them in

rodriguez wont play before october and ossie is finished

we are left with young sam

Who the hell was the very good italian striker we had? I saw one turn up for 10 minutes against City.

4 million plus add on's for potentially our most important player is suicide. 9 million is a different story, but sentiment only goes so far.

we are allowing ourselves to be bent over and ****ed without any lube. Anyone is welcome to have a go.

fuming.

Have to say I agree that £4m is a **** poor effort. Even if we only got 1 season out of him, his value to the team is more than £4m.

As you say I do have a degree of empathy with the lad going back to his roots, but with Liverpool being flush from TV monies and a Champions League spot, we really should have twisted their arm for more.

He's contracted for two more years and we really should be making one of the top four cough up more than £4m.

How does that work when buying a season ticket is a voluntary action or in most cases an involuntary action. The Club are not forcing any of us to buy it is actually quite easy to stay away.

It's no good moaning then buying or buying and then boycotting. Opting out however painful is the only way! I opted in this morning, just love all those new turf patterns and groundsmen getting soaked when the auto sprinklers come on.

Selling players when we have "no financial problems" is a voluntary action

With the way Liverpool are using us as a cash and carry I d be very surprised if our groundsmen are still here come the new season

either way, then we had 3 other striker fit

now we have just sammy G

that is it

No that would have left us with no strikers, unless from all the games you saw of Jay playing upfront on his own that you've concluded he was ready for that role??

I just can't believe this....If anyone symbolises our progression from L1 to 8th in the PL it is Sir Rickie. The guy is a total legend.

Granted he is now 32 and looking at the twilight years of his career but he can still do a top job here. If he couldn't why would Liverpool be interested in him?

£4m for a guy who has scored 30 PL goals in the last two seasons is a complete joke.

I can't help but feel annoyed at some of the hypocrisy on here. Go back a year and some of these so called fans were taking pops at Cortese for pretty much anything. But the new board lose our manager, say they won't sell any players until a new manager comes in then sell our best player the next day, and they call for calm and say people are 'bed wetters'...seriously wake up and smell the coffee. Something is happening at our club and it isn't good.

Extremely worrying that Saints are representing the interests of Liverpool and Lambert and No one cares about what's in the interest of Saints.

£4m = comparative peanuts

Its being reported as "£4m plus add-ons", we don't know what those add ons are yet so too early to judge. Perhaps it is those add-ons which take it to the earlier reported £9m fee. If those add-ons are likely to happen, then £9m for a 32 year old isn't bad.

Its being reported as "£4m plus add-ons", we don't know what those add ons are yet so too early to judge. Perhaps it is those add-ons which take it to the earlier reported £9m fee. If those add-ons are likely to happen, then £9m for a 32 year old isn't bad.

You aren't half clutching at straws there. At best an extra million I'd say. What sort of add-ons would you expect for a 32 year old signing a 2-year deal?

Or we could of just asked for the £9m up front and if they don't like it they can **** off?

Say 100,000 per 10 appearances just how many do you expect Lambert to make for 'Pool? 5 cup games next season is my guess.

Add ons for a 32 year old? He will be a bit-part player for Liverpool, so makes no sense whatsoever to receive money based on appearances, goals or future transfers. Liverpool have done us over far too easily for my liking. We should have insisted on a lump sum.

£4 million for someone who is the fulcrum of our attack around which everything revolves; who is only just approaching his peak as his learning and nouse compensates for any drop off in pace; who featured in the top 10 players for assist and goals in the top 5 European leagues; who has at least another 4 years in him. We might as well have given him away. Certainly without him we will be relegation favourites and deservedly so. And the insult of doing it before the World Cup. Madness.

Add ons for a 32 year old? He will be a bit-part player for Liverpool, so makes no sense whatsoever to receive money based on appearances, goals or future transfers. Liverpool have done us over far too easily for my liking. We should have insisted on a lump sum.

Add ons for a 32 yr old sounds dodgy. only thing i can think of is clause if they win league this season, which In effect would nothing and would have sold a star player for peanuts because the chance of Liverpool winning the league next season is very slim.