Lambert joins Liverpool

JxgrSaint

at the end of the day does it matter how much we get for him, surely it is about losing him

word, what this dumb board are about to find out is that it's about 10 times more difficult to sign good players than to sell them

how much do you think we will spend on forwards?

as with lambert and ossie going, we are going to need 2 at the very least maybe even 3

As the glass coffin salesman said - remains to be seen. Until Kruger comes out and says he will be spending the transfer fee on KFC and amyl nitrate, I see no need to be pessimistic.

So we can't afford half a Lovren without selling Lambert?

It all goes into the transfer kitty. However you try and dress it up, we have another £4m to spend on players this summer.

that is my point. with Jrod out, ossie with seemingly no future

lamberts value to the squad is far greater than £4m IMO

as it stands, we needed ANOTHER to replace ossie had lambert stayed and jrod fully fit.

now, we will need 2. so there is little chance we will be stronger for selling lambert

But you think we're stronger right now with JUST Lambert than we will be when the window slams shut.

The ONLY reasonable alternate explanation I can come up with is that Rickie personally asked Les as a massive favor to let him go in respect of all his service to saints. And that Les, with respect for Rickie, agreed. That is the only reasonable alternate explanation.If SFC came out and said that I would lay off the rebuke for LR and RK.

If its not that then any of the alternate explanations are enough to get any saints fan upset and incompetence does not start to describe this action or its potential consequences.

This guy has singlehandedly dragged you up through the leagues. Hes then kept you there. A while ago you were all moaning about how his legs had gone.

Hes now been offered his boyhood dream. The club are quite right to do the right thing by him.

Btw jackie c and jose f are the next ones to go

The ONLY reasonable alternate explanation I can come up with is that Rickie personally asked Les as a massive favor to let him go in respect of all his service to saints. And that Les, with respect for Rickie, agreed. That is the only reasonable alternate explanation.If SFC came out and said that I would lay off the rebuke for LR and RK.

If its not that then any of the alternate explanations are enough to get any saints fan upset and incompetence does not start to describe this action or its potential consequences.

but they can't can they, that would be directly contrary to the terms and conditions set out by Krueger on Wednesday, that would be suiting the player rather than the club, it would be dealing on Liverpool's terms (ie before the WC or never) and not ours. The whole affair is just so contrary to conditions the krueger set out only the day before, it just makes no sense whatsoever.

This guy has singlehandedly dragged you up through the leagues. Hes then kept you there. A while ago you were all moaning about how his legs had gone.

Hes now been offered his boyhood dream. The club are quite right to do the right thing by him.

Guess or ITK?

Don't want Saints board to be acting as the agent for our players getting them their dream moves whilst screwing the club over. I want them to act in the interests of Saints.

but they can't can they, that would be directly contrary to the terms and conditions set out by Krueger on Wednesday, that would be suiting the player rather than the club, it would be dealing on Liverpool's terms (ie before the WC or never) and not ours. The whole affair is just so contrary to conditions the krueger set out only the day before, it just makes no sense whatsoever.

Yes that's true- but I think we have it clear now that RK and LR have issues.If they communicated better then RK would not have made himself look a right eejut with what he said - or LR would not have given the OK to LFC about Rickie knowing it contradicts what RK said barely a day earlier. Given that evidence it points to making it up as they go along. If they saw the sale of Rickie as a good bit of business for SFC then I'm sorry- I disagree with them strongly. I really don't think they have thought this through.

The bit when RK was asked why it took so long to sort MP out and he said that they were just focused on the football and everyone was cool about it - well i'm sorry that is just nonsense and incompetence. Any half decent businessman needs to anticipate the dangers to his business. Losing your manager is a big risk. That should have been taken care of well ahead. But we lost him. We are now entering Oscar Wilde territory of carelessness with losing things now that talisman rickie is going youth team coaches are gone, first team captain is going and best young player is going.....

Don't want Saints board to be acting as the agent for our players getting them their dream moves whilst screwing the club over. I want them to act in the interests of Saints.

This. This is called strategic leadership, which to be fair to Cortese was not necessarily a popularity contest. Although our Board have probably cottoned on to that too now!

I am totally with you there mate. It is the only way it will cut Les and Ralph any slack with me. We have had our pants pulled down on this one.

The worst thing about this is not the transfer fee, it's that you can't have any hero's in football anymore. As you as you do, they **** you over. Whats the point?

you cannot believe a single word that RK or the rest of the board say ever again (Les made a similar promise, remember?) - IF RL goes prior to a new manager/coach being appointed! More likely, the complete opposite is likely to happen! SIMPLES!!! If true it's a very very sad day - RK will be a bigger liar than Rupert, Wilde, Askham and the rest of them put together!

The only way RL can come out of this with a grain of dignity, is to say KL shafted me well and truly!

Y

We are now entering Oscar Wilde territory of carelessness with losing things now that talisman rickie is going youth team coaches are gone, first team captain is going and best young player is going.....

Oscar Wilde ? I was thinking more Elizabeth Bishop actually.

The art of losing isn't hard to master

Lose something every day etc.

Gallagher is no Lambert and £4m won't buy a replacement. No doubt Rickie was blinded by it being Liverpool but it will be interesting to see how often he starts a game. Clearly there was no effort to persuade him otherwise, because as soon as Liverpool said take it or leave it, our lot rolled over. With The Echo suggesting the same will happen with Man U and Shaw, anyone who was encouraged by Kruguer's interview can forget it.

Gallagher is no Lambert and £4m won't buy a replacement. No doubt Rickie was blinded by it being Liverpool but it will be interesting to see how often he starts a game. Clearly there was no effort to persuade him otherwise, because as soon as Liverpool said take it or leave it, our lot rolled over. With The Echo suggesting the same will happen with Man U and Shaw, anyone who was encouraged by Kruguer's interview can forget it.

Who cares about buying a replacement, we're the academy to end all academies remember,we've spent enough money on it. All those stars just waiting for their chance, no point in holding them back to let dinosaurs play every week.:rolleyes::rolleyes: What does it matter if your ass gets kicked every game as long as you're populating the England Unders sides at every level.

I want to say thanks Rickie, you've been brilliant for saints, a true legend and thanks for everything. Here's hoping you kill it in the WC and get a few goals next season for your boyhood team. Good luck and best wishes big man

Cracks me up! Only a few months ago the number of posts saying how we need more strikers over the summer, SRL's legs have gone etc. Now he's the most important player in the squad!

Personally, I'll be completely gutted if he goes. Dunno about anyone else, but he was the forthcoming world cup highlight for me, knowing that Ads and LS are probably gone. A true club legend, but the point is that his boyhood club have come knocking for him in the twilight of his career.....you can only wish him well, surely?

Don't trust the board too much, but we'll just have to sit tight I guess.

IMO that set of circumstances would not be reasonable. We are a business and a football club.

Yes, I feel that if LFC came in and RL wants to go (I would try my best to at least try to persuade him to stay), then given his service I could see a case for giving him permission to talk to them.

BUT they have absolutely butt****ed us over the price...3.4 - 4million? Really?? Take it or leave it? Yes leave it....go **** yourselves you cheeky scally ****s and go jump in the Mersey and drown you ****s would be my response.

Ralph & Les - sure where do we sign?

****S

The worst thing about this is not the transfer fee, it's that you can't have any hero's in football anymore. As you as you do, they **** you over. Whats the point?

We reached that point a long time ago - you have to accept that for all players and managers its just a job / project ...they aren't going to have the passion and dedication that fans have despite all the badge kissing stuff and thumping of chests. They are upwardly mobile - just think about us going to pick up players like Clyne, Wanyama, Lovren etc - they all let down their sides at the time to join us. btw SRL will always be a hero for us, and we should never forget it.

Imagine you are a Saints fan and play footy as a professional. You get rejected by Saints in the early years, work your way around the lower leagues, spend your finest years dragging some team like Hull up through the leagues to the EPL - then Saints come back and ask if you'd like to play for them for your last season in the EPL!

TBH I think we have done just as much for him as he has done for us.

TBH I think we have done just as much for him as he has done for us.

Dead right. To suggest he singlehandedly dragged us up through the leagues is laughable unless you happen agree with Poyet's assertion that the rest of our side was only as good as Dagenham & Redbridge.

I want to say thanks Rickie, you've been brilliant for saints, a true legend and thanks for everything.

Here's hoping you kill it in the WC and get a few goals next season for your boyhood team. Good luck and best wishes big man

sad news for Saints fans, but he's done well for us, and tbh I don't begrudge him the chance......especially as it's Liverpool.

I find it less upsetting than the thought of some of the others might be going to the likes of Tottenham and Man.U.

sad news for Saints fans, but he's done well for us, and tbh I don't begrudge him the chance......especially as it's Liverpool.

I find it less upsetting than the thought of some of the others might be going to the likes of Tottenham and Man.U.

I don t give a **** that his boyhood team is Liverpool.

The only thing that would compensates for his loss is the transfer fee and we haven't even got that! If Shaw goes for 30 million and Lallana for 25 million then it help compensate their exits.

4 million for Lambert is just taking the **** and how the board have accepted this amount i Will never know.

I bet we don t even get some of that amount up front.

Whilst I can't begrudge Rickie his boyhood dream, when the F**k Is someone going to stand up for Southampton FC. RK is looking like a complete mug, and the board are looking like spineless morons. The day after he states No deals until new manager in he sells our talismanic striker. We are looking so weak already it's frightening, no Lambert, no Rodriguez until realistically November, probably no Lallana/Shaw.

We are looking seriously short for next season, and how can we replace someone of Rickie's stature for a paltry 4 - million.

This looks like asset stripping, and goes along with what's happened with the rest of her fathers assets so far. I hope to he'll I'm panicking over nothing and this post can be ridiculed at a later date, but it's not looking clever at the moment.

Edited by Under Weststand
spelling error

I don't begrudge him the chance to play for his boyhood team and to end his career there but seeing Rickie go has upset me more than losing Lallana and Shaw will do. Rickie Lambert was the heart and soul of the clubs revival. More than any other player I'm gutted to see him go.

What really annoys me is he will probably only be a bit part player at Liverpool next year but for us he would have been a very important player starting many more games in a Saints shirt than he will a Liverpool one. He won't get the chances to score from set pieces there either like he does here. Gerrard will be taking the penalties and free kicks. I do wish him luck though, he has been my favourite player since Matt. I just can't believe we sold him off so cheap. Who else will we bring in for 4 million that will offer us what he did?

There's no way he would've started more than 10 games for us next season. You could see his body's starting to call time on his career yhis season. He's had to work as hard as anyone possibly could to keep match fit, but still clearly struggled to keep up for the full 90 mins.

He'll be a bench warmer at Liverpool. Super sub if he can keep his skills honed. Brilliant for team building to have his enthusiasm, attitude and experience at the training ground though, so another shrewd move by Rodgers.

What do you expect? A personal text message every time we receive a bid? That's not how football works and you know it. People need to get a grip.

So it's not official yet? Someone should tell the England manager...

If I am being optimistic, I'd have been worried if the fee was 9m. If that was the case then I'd have seen it as a makeweight in any Lallana deal (designed to offset a sell on to Bournemouth).

But I do think the board have made a mistake by not categorically ruling out sales before the world cup. As it is we seem open for business and not in control of things.