Lambert joins Liverpool

JxgrSaint

I do like that thought. Lets wait for the Saints statement.

If I told my staff that I'd just sold a valuable asset for 40% less than I could have they would rightly question my marbles. We are being told that "the club are in a tricky financial situation" and quite rightly is being run as a business so quite frankly sentiment shouldn't be getting in the way if we need the money.

All it'll do is prove we're soft.

Lambert to Liverpool

Shaw to Chelsea

Lallana to Everton

Clyne to Chelsea

Rodriguez to Burnley

Schneiderlin to Liverpool

Wanyama to... ...Black Cats

I mean, boyhood clubs n all that; it's simply not allowed in football to stop a move to a 'boyhood club'*.

It's a tradition or an old charter or something.

*(for managers the term is upgraded to 'spiritual home')

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Not really, the money on offer wouldn't make or break anything for us. Poor timing for this is my biggest frustration. Only two considerations - Lambert has some sort of buy out clause for Liverpool come in for him (understandable); We're trying to get all the bad news out the way before a new manager arrives.

The buyout clause seems entirely plausible, which would explain the speed at which it's happening.

Lambert to Liverpool

Shaw to Chelsea

Lallana to Everton

Clyne to Chelsea

Rodriguez to Burnley

Schneiderlin to Liverpool

Wanyama to... ...Black Cats

I mean, boyhood clubs n all that; it's simply not allowed in football to stop a move to a 'boyhood club'*.

It's a tradition or an old charter or something.

*(for managers the term is upgraded to 'spiritual home')

that would bring about 105 million £ and chop probably 20 million/annum off the salary mass, probably more than the club is worth on the open market. We've got a load of wonder kids to take their place, no problem then, worked in 2008 didn't it ?

Sentiment aside has anyone considered that we might be bringing in a quality striker. Lambert may be thinking, I can get more money whilst making the odd appearance at my dream club, possibly with my best mate Lallana there as well. The alternative is I can sit on the bench at a Saints team that's likely to finish between 7th and 10th.

Lambert going for £4-8m isn't terrible business - especially if Saints intend to bring in 1-2 quality younger replacements and Lambert's contribution would have been limited anyway.

Come on... that's far too reasoned and rational for this place mate.

No Liverpool say 4 million, saints play hard ball and then sell for what the bigger club dictates.

Maybe Liverpool upped their offer from 4m to 4m and a packet of salt n vinegar crisps and our board hadn't had any breakfast so they accepted because they were hungry. Wonder if Les and Freddy have ordered a pair of matching clown suits.

V.v.unlikely that there's a buyout clause.

Quite apart from the fact that it would have probably been leaked, its inconsistent with the way its been handled -e.g. differences in valuation. You pay the minimum amount with a buyout clause, not haggle over price.

IMO, another case of 2+2=5 just because the lad is a liverpool fan.

I just don't understand the fee - for someone who 2 seasons ago was THE best player we had.

He got old. 32 year old players dont command much of a fee. Its a good move for SFC especially since he has a contract till he's 35 and at his current rate of decline he'll be in a bath chair by then. Good luck to him. He's achieving his dream and I hope he gets a great last hurrah scoring off the bench in the CL for Liverpool.

V.v.unlikely that there's a buyout clause.

Quite apart from the fact that it would have probably been leaked, its inconsistent with the way its been handled -e.g. differences in valuation. You pay the minimum amount with a buyout clause, not haggle over price.

IMO, another case of 2+2=5 just because the lad is a liverpool fan.

buyout clause perhaps not, European football clause? Stranger things have been inserted into contracts before.

Of course, he still has to pass a medical and he had more than a few niggles last season. Out of interest, how would we feel about £4m if he fails the medical, struggles all season and hardly plays again?

4 million is nothing, couple of quid less than we paid for Forren or Mayuka, only a million or so more than we squandered on a League 2 goalkeeper, not to mention Osvaldo and Gaston who unless I'm mistaken haven't even scored Rickie's number of OP goals last season between them for the club. 4 million is absolutely nothing to Liverpool, probably about a third of what they might expect to get for Borini. Even a 32 year old is worth more than that and I'm not even his biggest fan.

4 million is nothing, couple of quid less than we paid for Forren or Mayuka, only a million or so more than we squandered on a League 2 goalkeeper, not to mention Osvaldo and Gaston who unless I'm mistaken haven't even scored Rickie's number of OP goals last season between them for the club. 4 million is absolutely nothing to Liverpool, probably about a third of what they might expect to get for Borini. Even a 32 year old is worth more than that and I'm not even his biggest fan.

Imagine Liverpool's reaction if anyone bidded 4m for 33yr old Gerrard. Our response of rolling over at the first tiny bid was pathetic.

Bristol Rovers reckon they have a sell on clause

Bristol Rovers @Official_BRFC · 23m

The club can confirm that the transfer agreement of Lambert to Southampton did include a sell on clause #BristolRovers

Pffff, 4 million less a bit then, might as well just give him away to hack off Bristol Rovers.

I'm absolutely furious at the timing.

If Liverpool had offered crazy money and turning it down now would mean selling him for much less later on in the window, then there would at least be some rationale. Still wouldn't make it worth the blow to credibility and team morale, but at least there would be a tangible reason. I don't know what's possessed them to sell before the World Cup, before we have a manager and for just over half what West Ham offered in January.

I hope we have some good news very, very soon because this is unacceptable.

2SuKsn8n_normal.jpegAdam Blackmore @bigadamsport

Worth #saintsfc fans noting a couple of things - the Lambert deal has happened very quickly, since yesterday, with Liverpool saying if it wasn't done before squad fly off to Miami, they would move on. So, with Rickie wanting to go, could Saints deny hima dream move back to Liverpool after his services to the club - and Saints get a better financial deal to push it though. Even though Lambert is only #saintsfc player to go so far, it looks like the start of the end of an era, but any new manager would be happy to have the chance to shape his own squad, with a good kitty to spend, which I'm led to believe he'll have

Just heard it on 5 live. 4 million is an absolute joke and coming immediately after Ralph's statement is pathetic and means he has lied to the fans. Absolutely fuming.

he hasn't lied to the fans, he has mislead them because he knows that they want to gob his crap. You've all made it far too easy for him. Does the man have any qualifications for the post into which he has been projected...really, honestly, just asking.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Worth #saintsfc fans noting a couple of things - the Lambert deal has happened very quickly, since yesterday, with Liverpool saying if it wasn't done before squad fly off to Miami, they would move on. So, with Rickie wanting to go, could Saints deny hima dream move back to Liverpool after his services to the club - and Saints get a better financial deal to push it though.Even though Lambert is only #saintsfc player to go so far, it looks like the start of the end of an era, but any new manager would be happy to have the chance to shape his own squad, with a good kitty to spend, which I'm led to believe he'll have

They played hardball and we blinked.

Worth #saintsfc fans noting a couple of things - the Lambert deal has happened very quickly, since yesterday, with Liverpool saying if it wasn't done before squad fly off to Miami, they would move on. So, with Rickie wanting to go, could Saints deny hima dream move back to Liverpool after his services to the club - and Saints get a better financial deal to push it though. Even though Lambert is only #saintsfc player to go so far, it looks like the start of the end of an era, but any new manager would be happy to have the chance to shape his own squad, with a good kitty to spend, which I'm led to believe he'll have

Feck off.

They played hardball and we blinked.

Absolutely right. Negotiating skills? Zero.

Liverpool thought they'd try pulling fast one and will be laughing their socks (and more) off.

Note to other clubs: Saints now soft touch.

Edited by Shroppie

he hasn't lied to the fans, he has mislead them because he knows that they want to gob his crap. You've all made it far too easy for him. Does the man have any qualifications for the post into which he has been projected...really, honestly, just asking.

How is him saying the new manager has a say with all transactions and then that proving not to the case the very next day not a lie?

That Blackmore tweet makes this even more annoying! We've been forced into selling someone under value because Liverpool say they'd move on otherwise? I'm more concerned though about the impact selling Rickie has on the dressing room team spirit that seems to have been our trademark over the last few years. All well and good talking of boyhood teams but it's barely a month since Lambert was talking of being a saints fan.

I don't think he finds it odd, I think he finds what seems to be apoplectic rage quite odd. Man up you emotionally immature muppet.

Apoplectic rage? I'm bloody annoyed that we sold our talisman and one of our best players for 4 million. My young cousin idolised rickie and is now very upset and it has ruined his world cup. I'm not happy.

£4 million minus Bristol Rover's cut is a travesty. For what is our talisman, our currently only fit striker over the age of 18, the hero...

The board have either had a woeful day PR-wise or they really couldn't give a toss and just want any money for any player they can possibly flog.

We do not now what the future holds but for me RK has forever lost my trust. You do not sell your star striker the day after you say no one will be sold before a new manager comes in.

you do if Liverpool tell you to, never mind we've got Gallagher, when he stops being like Bambi on Ice i'm sure he'll get the odd goal or two.

£4 million minus Bristol Rover's cut is a travesty. For what is our talisman, our currently only fit striker over the age of 18, the hero...

The board have either had a woeful day PR-wise or they really couldn't give a toss and just want the money.

I'm struggling to think of many worse deal for us. You are right it is a total travesty.

Absolutely right. Negotiating skills? Zero.

Lol. The board got £4m for him and also shifted a £6m future liability off the wage bill. By Lambert going they have freed up c£10m - clever piece of business. He was great player but he was never going to recapture what he was and seeing a 35 year old Lambert limp around the pitch in 2017 was never going to best for him or us.

We do not now what the future holds but for me RK has forever lost my trust. You do not sell your star striker the day after you say no one will be sold before a new manager comes in.

Feel much the same. Why do I find myself questioning whether this man has a clue what he's doing?

That Blackmore tweet makes this even more annoying! We've been forced into selling someone under value because Liverpool say they'd move on otherwise?

I mean that really shows we were in total control of the situation doesn't it, they said it's now or never, Rickie says i want to go there and we said OK but we're in control right !!! Krueger is a laughing stock who should skate back off to where he belongs, ice hockey and gabbing to the idle rich at Davos.

If we were able to keep Lallana and Shaw and sign a couple of top forwards I would be much more easy about seeing Lambert get his 'dream move'. Fact is, this is not just about Lambert in most fans eyes - it's about the systematic watering down of the experienced talent in the 1st team to raise funds to pay for a top heavy Board of Directors including a new Marketing genius. It FEELS like Lowe all over again - not investing enough in the 1st team - and we all know where that leads.

Good luck to the lad, wonderful end to his career ,World cup in Brazil then a dream move to his boyhood club. Will remain a saints legend and should get a fantastic reception each and every time he returns.

I'm not getting my knickers in a twist over the fee. What the guys done for the club if we've had to drop a bit to make it happen for him, then that's OK for me. With testimonials seemingly a thing of the past , I don't mind if our thank you to Rickie is ensuring this deal went through . Its what he deserves for fantastic service to the club.

The saddest part of all this for me is the breaking up of the league 1 players. Its quite likely that José and kelvin will be the only 2 left come august.

He got old. 32 year old players dont command much of a fee. Its a good move for SFC especially since he has a contract till he's 35 and at his current rate of decline he'll be in a bath chair by then. Good luck to him. He's achieving his dream and I hope he gets a great last hurrah scoring off the bench in the CL for Liverpool.

Good post and common sense. He was nearly sold to west ham by cortese and I reckon the board got the best price for a player whose 32 and coming to the end of his career. To much bed wetting and I expect the new manager will have a good kitty for transfers to spend.I also expect Ricky made it clear he wanted to go there.

Well then will we have to sign three strikers now? Along with an attacking midfielder to replace Adam potentially, a left back and a couple of Centre backs as a minimum. We will end up with 7 or 8 new players this is depressing!

Why is it with sfc we have to have extremes, either the iron fist of Nicola where everything is fine on the pitch but lots wrong off it or this shambles? Why can we not have a well run and ruthless football club who are also caring and personable off it??? I despair.

How is him saying the new manager has a say with all transactions and then that proving not to the case the very next day not a lie?

He said that they want to involve the manager and that's why they're looking to get the appointment done quickly. He didn't promise that they would involve him in every single sale.