Lambert joins Liverpool

JxgrSaint

Yep - there seems to be nothing holding the club or the team together. I was very positive about everything, and would have been had we not started selling before we had a manager in! I think that's the key and where everything has gone wrong. They could have said to Lambert - yes we'll let you go but jsut wait for a new manager then we won't stand in your way. It's not ****ing difficult! I believe he would have given the club that

I agree with this. The only thing I can think of is that Lambert wanted the move so much that he pushed it through himself. Of course if he got injured during the World Cup it could spoil his dream.

very poor.

Talk your way out of this one, Ralph, Les, whoever..

Forget Ronald Koeman as the next manager, Ronald Macf^ckingDonald will be more appropriate.

That won't make a blind bit of difference. The key is Ralph & Les get in to replace the players that leave.

Rickie is 32, he has 2-3 years left in him at this level at best. Sadly I think he'll flop at Liverpool because age is catching up with him and he needs the week-in week-out competition against PL teams which he won't get whilst sat on the bench watching Luis Suarez. That's his decision but Krueger et al. will ultimately show their credentials as to who we get in to replace him.

I'll be judging this off-season by what team line-up we have in the first game of next season, not purely by what players leave. If sufficient replacements aren't bought in then we'll have a problem.

For every Nigel Adkins there is a Mauricio Pochettino.

perhaps he ran the sale of Lambert by the entire managerial short list yesterday whilst he was at Burton, I mean they were probably all there watching our U19s dominate world football. Look we've got Gallagher he's fantastic OK to sell Lambert, yeah Ralph whatever, we can get someone in the draft, probably have to trade up in the 4th round though, offer Pompey a couple of next year's draft picks and ten quid.

You can't give any money for draft picks. HTH.

People who say he wants to go because he loves the club are forgetting that a short while ago he said his love is for Southampton now. I know people will dismiss it but i genuinely believe he is a saints fan now rather than a liverpool fan. The way he was singing along with OWTS on the lap of honour showed that as well.

Have you not heard him speak ?

In all likelihood he probably thought such a move was beyond him.

My gripes about this are the timing, and the fee.

Embarrassing by Saints. Selling a key player for a cut price fee shows just how incompetent the board are. Liverpool must be laughing their arses off at low easily they robbed us. Said i'd judge board by actions not on Krueger's nice words on wednesday. His first action is basically to show every club that we are a complete soft touch when it comes to transfer fees.

Embarrassing by Saints. Selling a key player for a cut price fee shows just how incompetent the board are. Liverpool must be laughing their arses off at low easily they robbed us. Said i'd judge board by actions not on Krueger's nice words on wednesday. His first action is basically to show every club that we are a complete soft touch when it comes to transfer fees.

This. ^^

Sad to say I'm getting a real feeling now that the whole team spirit and belief in the Southampton project has gone. Players think it's all over: time to move on.

This unfortuantly. Coupled with all the interviews from the players recently. As I said was very positive, but it's hard to be now. For me Lambert was the heart of the team, more so than Lallana due to his rise up the leagues and proving he can do it on a big stage. Then to be topped off by being a saint at the WC. Yesterday I was excited about the WC today I'm stuggling to give a flying ****!

All the best to Rickie! but why sell before the world cup for such a low fee?

Surely his value potentially increases with a good performance at the World Cup and what about the prestige/value to the club of having 3 English players at the competition?

This unfortuantly. Coupled with all the interviews from the players recently. As I said was very positive, but it's hard to be now. For me Lambert was the heart of the team, more so than Lallana due to his rise up the leagues and proving he can do it on a big stage. Then to be topped off by being a saint at the WC. Yesterday I was excited about the WC today I'm stuggling to give a flying ****!

At least when he misses a penalty at the WC he still never missed on as a Saints player. #clutchingatstrawsforasilverlining

Lots of fans saying they don't begrudge Rickie the move or that no one can blame him, but I don't get that. We are not here to facilitate dream moves for players. We're here to do what's best for the cub, not the player. To be honest, I couldn't give a toss about fulfilling Rickie's (apparent) dream to play for Liverpool. My concern is Southampton FC. If it's best for the club that he go, then so be it. At Southampton he has realised his dream to play for England. He's a Saints legend, but let's not pretend we owe him a dream move. If that's the case, do we owe Lallana too? Or Shaw?

told you so, it's just a gabfest. You all gobbed the bring back Matty, free parking etc etc etc too easily, as long as you hear what you want everything is rosy. I think you've all been played.

When did he say that? All i saw was him saying he'd prefer that, but wouldn't stop players from talking to their agents or clubs.

"Roy Hodgson has banished agents from his England training camps in an attempt to avoid distractions over transfers affecting the mood of the squad before the World Cup. With continuing speculation over some of his players, including Southampton’s Luke Shaw, Hodgson has made it “very, very clear” that “when we’re together, it’s England and purely England and we’re not going to combine the two things”.

I know it was not an absolute ban when players had free time, but it already looks meaningless

Good luck Rickie. You are realising your dream and I can't think of anyone more deserving.

Please spare a thought for us fans who you've left behind because we're embarking on what is potentially a very tough time.

Also, please forgive me a rye smile if you miss your first penalty in Liverpool colours.

All the best to Rickie! but why sell before the world cup for such a low fee?

Surely his value potentially increases with a good performance at the World Cup and what about the prestige/value to the club of having 3 English players at the competition?

This is the confusing part. Why not say, "wait until the world cup is over, we can negotiate then"

Why are people 'obsessed' with the amount of the transfer fee?

£4m (or £9m for that matter) pales into insignificance when you look at how much wealth Rickie's goalscoring and assists have brought to the club...and all for a £1m outlay.

The fact that the club are happy to let him go for what seems like a relatively low fee could actually be seen as a sign of the club's financial strength, i.e. we don't need to make any money out of selling Rickie - he's already made tens of millions for the club - so the club could simply be acting in a benevolent way here to ensure one of the clubs greatest servants in recent history gets the end-of-career move that, to me, its obvious that Ricky wants. What better way for the club to thank Rickie for everything he's done for the club than to help him fulfil his final dream?

Yes, of course there is the 'issue' of who we replace him with but I'm prepared to wait for how that pans out rather than prejudge what might or might not happen.

That won't make a blind bit of difference. The key is Ralph & Les get in to replace the players that leave.

Rickie is 32, he has 2-3 years left in him at this level at best. Sadly I think he'll flop at Liverpool because age is catching up with him and he needs the week-in week-out competition against PL teams which he won't get whilst sat on the bench watching Luis Suarez. That's his decision but Krueger et al. will ultimately show their credentials as to who we get in to replace him.

I'll be judging this off-season by what team line-up we have in the first game of next season, not purely by what players leave. If sufficient replacements aren't bought in then we'll have a problem.

For every Nigel Adkins there is a Mauricio Pochettino.

This every time, it is only a problem selling Rickie if sufficient replacement is not purchased.

This is clearly Rickie's decision and who can blame him a chance to play for his boyhood club and one last fat pay check before retirement, 4m is an awful lot of money for a 32 year old player who could be finished by the end of next season, an can all the NC fans please remember he was happy to ship Rickie off to West Ham in January so this isn't exactly a new board problem!

All this talk of fire sales is hilarious so far we have been confirmed as selling nobody and seem to be driving some pretty hard bargains with potential suitors which really is all the board can do in the case of Adam and Luke, the deals will go through regardless but it seems we are at least trying to dictate the terms and the timing.

Yes I'm nervous about next season but also optimistic, we are an attractive proposition to managers and who ever comes in will have a decent wedge to spend on players plus the next crop of academy graduates. This is the future for our club without a chairman willing to gamble huge sums, every year we will loose players and hopefully replace them with rising stars we can profit from.

Why are people 'obsessed' with the amount of the transfer fee?

£4m (or £9m for that matter) pales into insignificance when you look at how much wealth Rickie's goalscoring and assists have brought to the club...and all for a £1m outlay.

The fact that the club are happy to let him go for what seems like a relatively low fee could actually be seen as a sign of the club's financial strength, i.e. we don't need to make any money out of selling Rickie - he's already made tens of millions for the club - so the club could simply acting in a benevolent way here to ensure one of the clubs greatest servants in recent history gets the end-of-career move that, to me, its obvious that Ricky wants. What better way for the club to thank Rickie for everything he's done for the club than to help him fulfil his final dream?

Yes, of course there is the 'issue' of who we replace him with but I'm prepared to wait for how that pans out rather than prejudge what might or might not happen.

I do like that thought. Lets wait for the Saints statement.

Sad to say I'm getting a real feeling now that the whole team spirit and belief in the Southampton project has gone. Players think it's all over: time to move on.

This for me. Such a massive shame to willingly dismantle such a promising team. Still, it wouldn't be Saints without a relegation battle every other season.

Is there not another possibility here? Lallana/Lambert are fantastic together. Lallana is going to Liverpool, might he have suggested taking his scouse mate with him?

That thought had crossed my mind too. And I agree about him having huge potential still in a deeper role.

Which makes rushing it through now even more ridiculous.

"Rushing it through" might be best for SFC.... if Rickie wants to go and Liverpool want him, best for SFC to get it tied up now in case he gets injured during the world cup.

"Rushing it through" might be best for SFC.... if Rickie wants to go and Liverpool want him, best for SFC to get it tied up now in case he gets injured during the world cup.

Or has a great WC and enhances his value .......

He will though I believe. The registration cannot go through until the 1st July I believe.

But after the WC (should England go far) there will be little time left, players will want vacations, probably far from our shores. Transactions during the WC will not be allowed by the FA so it's tomorrow or start of August, player probably wants it settled as well so the Mme can get some housing and schools sorted out while the old man's at the WC.

massive gamble really, i mean if Lambart is Gone & Lallana is Gone & Jay Rod is Injure... that's our 3 top goalscorers right there! Hopefully we can hold on to Fonte (3 lg goals) to provide the firepower next season :(

Obv we'll bring some dudes in but there's every chance they won't cut it. Massive gamble!

Or has a great WC and enhances his value .......

Yep, that's a possibility too. Although a 32 year old's value isn't going to fluctuate too much regardless of how their world cup goes. I guess there are pros and cons of either approach.

Not really, the money on offer wouldn't make or break anything for us. Poor timing for this is my biggest frustration. Only two considerations - Lambert has some sort of buy out clause for Liverpool come in for him (understandable); We're trying to get all the bad news out the way before a new manager arrives.

Sentiment aside has anyone considered that we might be bringing in a quality striker. Lambert may be thinking, I can get more money whilst making the odd appearance at my dream club, possibly with my best mate Lallana there as well. The alternative is I can sit on the bench at a Saints team that's likely to finish between 7th and 10th.

Lambert going for £4-8m isn't terrible business - especially if Saints intend to bring in 1-2 quality younger replacements and Lambert's contribution would have been limited anyway.

Not really, the money on offer wouldn't make or break anything for us. Poor timing for this is my biggest frustration. Only two considerations - Lambert has some sort of buy out clause for Liverpool come in for him (understandable); We're trying to get all the bad news out the way before a new manager arrives.

Yep, it is a bit of a mystery at the end of the day. Just me thinking out loud (not always a good thing!)