Lambert joins Liverpool

JxgrSaint

He is in the England squad because he is the best available right now. When you consider the next player on the stand by list is Carroll and his 2 goals it shows just how lacking we are for English strikers.

Shouldn't that then mean his price goes up? If there is little quality around you normally have to pay big bucks for it.

Even without Lambert, Shaw and Lallana we still have a better squad than a large number of teams in this league.

when the club is taking mattresses with them to away games, then you know there are very fine lines between winning and losing. Take absolute top, top players out of the side and that leaves you with a team that is weaker and those 1-0 wins can start to become draws and those draws can easily become defeats.

Just losing Shaw will have a huge effect on the balance of the side IMO, never mind the Lambert/Lallana combination that has worked so well. With Rodriguez with a lot to prove, that's another `edge' player that we might miss. Personally I thought Morgan would be the one player certain to leave, and he may still go. Take him out of the side and more often than not we struggle.

These players have't left yet, so we are far from ****ed at this point in time, but don't kid yourself on the strength of the squad. We finished 8th not top. Replacing what Shaw gave us is an impossible task. The others? I don't know. Hopefully we won't need to find out.

indeed, that's what we paid for Mayuka.

21 year old Mayuka...

Bristol Rovers have a sell on clause.

So we haven't sold him for £3.5m. We may only get to keep £3.5m but that's business. We've still made a £2.5m profit on him.

Name three 32 year olds who have sold for more money than Lambert.
that's a very good point/question, although the huge rise in fees over the last couple of years does change the playing field a little. Diego Milito went to Inter for £30m and he was 33.

Interested in peoples opinions in the following two questions:

Should Rickie make the move, will he remain a club icon/legend in the same capacity?

Should Rickie make the move should he stay in the banner?

Thoughts

that's a very good point/question, although the huge rise in fees over the last couple of years does change the playing field a little. Diego Milito went to Inter for £30m and he was 33.

No, he was 29. About a month before turning 30 but definitely not 33.

Should Rickie make the move, will he remain a club icon/legend in the same capacity?

Thoughts

Can't blame Rickie unless he promised to go on strike if we refused Liverpool's pitiful offer. All the blame lies with Reed and Krueger for accepting the sirt cheap bid.

To suggest one player leaving turns Saints from 8th to relegation favourites is madness.

Blimey we have lost our talismanic centre forward, our manager on whom all the players dote, two respected academy coaches and May is not even out. You keep sticking your head in the sand mate but excuse me for checking out my life jacket is still under my seat.

Yes so again shouldn't that increase the price if you want one of the few quality English players?

I don't think most managers are as stupid as Kenny Dalglish these days.

I'm struggling to think of teams who need English players to fill their home grown quota. Man City maybe but he will never get a game there.

Blimey we have lost our talismanic centre forward, our manager on whom all the players dote, two respected academy coaches and May is not even out. You keep sticking your head in the sand mate but excuse me for checking out my life jacket is still under my seat.

You missed out all our coaches and assistant manager :)

Thoughts

Was an icon through our recent resurgence and typified everything that was good about the Club during that enjoyable time. Great bloke off the pitch as well.

So no problem staying on that banner (particularly when others up there also left us).

Interesting question can any of the people in hysterics think of a comparable transfer for a player in his 30's where the transfer fee was bigger?

4m is an awful lot for a player in decline, yes it will cost us more than that to replace him but we needed to replace him in the next 12 months anyway, this way we get some money in to fund that replacement it's good use of an asset. Still a bloomin shame I hoped he would retire with a lap of honour round St Mary's but it wasn't to be his heart is elsewhere and his reward for all his time with us is just that.

Thoughts

Yes and yes, no doubts.

Thoughts

Are you for real?

The man has lead us from the bottom of League 1 to 8th in the Premiership in 5 years. A man who defied the odds season after season, and has gone from the bottom to the very top in football. From the beetroot factory to the World Cup in Brazil. He's epitomised everything about the spirit of Southampton over the past few years- a pure inspiration to all youngsters out there to never give up on your dream- no matter how mad it seems.

He leaves St.Mary's a club legend, and he will never, ever be forgotten.

we were warned that this would happen if NC left.

anyone but NC, eh?

Thoughts

Yes and Yes.He is an Outstanding man.

Just listening to talksport and 5live

All the journos have said it will be £4m with add ons on liver pools success

So it is in our best interest to let them have Lallana and lovren. Then we will get our money when Liverpool win the league.

Also with lambert on board, they are more likely to get Lallana?

Whereas I am gutted that Ricky is leaving I believe this move to Liverpool is a kind of loyalty bonus for all he has done for Saints. 2 years takes him to 34 years old and normally it wouldn't be easy for him to get another deal. All this Liverpool interest in our lads must come from being in the World Cup squad with Liverpool players.

Maybe we'll end up with Torres or Ba as part of a Luke Shaw deal to Chelsea.

'A loyalty bonus' !!!!!! FFS complete nonsense.... Sentimental clap trap....

No, he was 29. About a month before turning 30 but definitely not 33.

fair enough. The web is not to be trusted. Samuel Etoo to Chelsea maybe? You are right though that over 32 and big fees are rare as the players simply don't have a resale value

Are you for real?

The man has lead us from the bottom of League 1 to 8th in the Premiership in 5 years. A man who defied the odds season after season, and has gone from the bottom to the very top in football. From the beetroot factory to the World Cup in Brazil. He's epitomised everything about the spirit of Southampton over the past few years- a pure inspiration to all youngsters out there to never give up on your dream- no matter how mad it seems.

He leaves St.Mary's a club legend, and he will never, ever be forgotten.

Shut up.

Man, I am gutted but delighted. Gutted because he is/has been our talisman. He's made Lallana look good (well even better).

But how can you deny him a move to his boyhood club.

I have nothing but absolute love for the guy and wish him all the best. He's reminded me that there are some decent players out there.

He's kept our young lads' feet on the ground too.

21 year old Mayuka...

So we haven't sold him for £3.5m. We may only get to keep £3.5m but that's business. We've still made a £2.5m profit on him.

Me and all of us know we made so much more out of him, than just the transfer fee profit! He must be in dreamland.

I will miss him in the Saints set up!

Its 3 academy coaches - Murty has gone as well :-(

fair enough. The web is not to be trusted. Samuel Etoo to Chelsea maybe? You are right though that over 32 and big fees are rare as the players simply don't have a resale value

Free transfer wasn't it? Anzhi were selling anything which wasn't nailed down. It's an interesting comparison though

Eto'o - 33 years old - 14 goals - Released on a free

Lambert - 32 years old - 16 goals - Worth £4m

Interesting question can any of the people in hysterics think of a comparable transfer for a player in his 30's where the transfer fee was bigger?

4m is an awful lot for a player in decline, yes it will cost us more than that to replace him but we needed to replace him in the next 12 months anyway, this way we get some money in to fund that replacement it's good use of an asset. Still a bloomin shame I hoped he would retire with a lap of honour round St Mary's but it wasn't to be his heart is elsewhere and his reward for all his time with us is just that.

In Premier League terms 4m is peanuts . We have heavily relied on RL this year.... We now need not only to replace him but also recruit a sensible backup too. If we had two other viable replacements in the books fine but WE DONT!

There is no way you can dress this atrocious decision up as anything but stupid.

Simon Peach @SimonPeach · 2h

#LFC told #SaintsFC the deal for Lambert went through before World Cup or forget it. With Rickie wanting to go, club felt they had no choice.

I understand but it has just made Ralph look even more of a wally as he said transfers would happen on the clubs terms. If Liverpool really want Rickie why the **** can they not wait until after the World Cup?

zlatan ibrahimovic to PSG

Thuram to Barcelona

Batistuta to Roma

Eto to Anzi

Millito to Inter

Makelle to Chelsea

Massive list of them here http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/statistik/transferrekorde?saison_id=alle&land_id=&ausrichtung=&spielerposition_id=&altersklasse=o32

In Premier League terms 4m is peanuts . We have heavily relied on RL this year.... We now need not only to replace him but also recruit a sensible backup too. If we had two other viable replacements in the books fine but WE DONT!

There is no way you can dress this atrocious decision up as anything but stupid.

If four million is such peanuts where is the list of 30+ year olds who have been transferred for in excess of 4 million? It is peanuts for young players but not for a fast depreciating asset like Rickie (no disrespect to him being a legend!)

We needed a backup anyway so that doesn't come into it we also needed to replace him and we now have more money to do it and don't have an unhappy player moping about the place wishing he was at Liverpool. Lambert could quite happily have sat out the next three years of his contract doing nothing if he was ****ed off. It's not good or bad business until you see the end result but what it clearly is is business.

If four million is such peanuts where is the list of 30+ year olds who have been transferred for in excess of 4 million? It is peanuts for young players but not for a fast depreciating asset like Rickie (no disrespect to him being a legend!)

We needed a backup anyway so that doesn't come into it we also needed to replace him and we now have more money to do it and don't have an unhappy player moping about the place wishing he was at Liverpool. Lambert could quite happily have sat out the next three years of his contract doing nothing if he was ****ed off. It's not good or bad business until you see the end result but what it clearly is is business.

there are loads that dwarf lamberts fee

Slightly harder if you ignore goalkeepers and even more of a challenge if you ignore the silly rich clubs (Paris SG, Chelsea etc) paying way over the odds for past it big name players. 4 million+ for a player of RL's ability, age and standing is decent money there are very very few players like him who fetch that sort of money.

Slightly harder if you ignore goalkeepers and even more of a challenge if you ignore the silly rich clubs (Paris SG, Chelsea etc) paying way over the odds for past it big name players. 4 million+ for a player of RL's ability, age and standing is decent money there are very very few players like him who fetch that sort of money.

Only one I mentioned was a keeper. But to counter it I will add a few more then

Blanc, Henry (Colin) Lucio, Parker, Dodo, Anderson, Ze Roberto. Can add more if you like?

Edited by St Marco

Just change the criteria to suit your argument... bottom line is, it will take 20M (possibly 2 players) to replace what Lambert provides to our squad.. so RK has taken the ultimate risk in selling the one player likely to cause the most disruption to next season.

I have yet to see Saints play well when Lambert has been on the bench.. so the new manager will have little time to build a team to start the season with much optimism.

Hope I'm proven wrong though.