Lambert joins Liverpool

JxgrSaint

Here's a promise to the Club, not that one fan, even one of more than 50 years, can have any influence on them, but my promise is that if they sell all three of our England internationals, I will stop attending any games. They will not deserve another penny of my money.

Here's a promise to the Club, not that one fan, even one of more than 50 years, can have any influence on them, but my promise is that if they sell all three of our England internationals, I will stop attending any games. They will not deserve another penny of my money.

Does that promise include a photo for the Echo?

People who say oh well his best days are behind him are right in some ways, I didn't feel he could do 90 mins every week but they are not considering what a character SRL was in the dressing room and how he motivated the youngsters to believe anything was possible! Make no mistake his departure will have a huge effect both on and off the field, it was right to let him go if that was his dream no one can begrudge him that but have they really thought through the consequences?

You will be sadly missed.

according to sky sports news he will be a liverpool player by Monday and video showing him arriving at Anfield

The deal is already done. Passed both parts of his medical. Will only be an unveiling. All signed and sealed. He is a Liverpool player.

"...they are not considering what a character SRL was in the dressing room and how he motivated the youngsters to believe anything was possible"

That's true but anybody who has played any sort of team sport also knows what a 'big' character can do the dressing room if they are unhappy. I would imagine an unhappy Lambert would be a nightmare in the dressing room. As you say no one begrudges him his move, on its own it isn't a big deal but in context of all the others the timing is not good.

Lambert going isn't a particular shock, his demeanour has been pointing that way for a while. The money is ok (no more than that) and it possibly clears the way for Osvaldo if our new manager can forge some sort of rapprochement.

"...they are not considering what a character SRL was in the dressing room and how he motivated the youngsters to believe anything was possible"

That's true but anybody who has played any sort of team sport also knows what a 'big' character can do the dressing room if they are unhappy. I would imagine an unhappy Lambert would be a nightmare in the dressing room. As you say no one begrudges him his move, on its own it isn't a big deal but in context of all the others the timing is not good.

Lambert going isn't a particular shock, his demeanour has been pointing that way for a while. The money is ok (no more than that) and it possibly clears the way for Osvaldo if our new manager can forge some sort of rapprochement.

Yep.

It was clear that the plan was for him to play second fiddle to Dani last season - except Dani turned out to be a cock.

Can't begrudge him his move - good luck and thanks SRL.

That is also true, no point in an unhappy Lambert being here, not convinced he will get too much playing time at liverpoool, will be a super sub

My opinion on the situation for what it's worth...

Mentally I was prepared for Lallana and Shaw to leave, Lambert leaving is a massive shock to the system, in regards to the fee, Lambert was showing signs of slowing down last season, and with age probably only has two season at best left in him, HOWEVER his physical presence on and of the pitch is priceless and therefore 4 million is laughable.

I'm not sure what the boards ambition really is but from what I can see it's not what most believed and certainly isn't about going forward. All the happy clappers can carry on but deep down I think you're seeing the way the club is going regardless of your sarcastic comments to any negative comments.

Can they turn it around? Yes, but it would mean bringing in a quality manager, and a substantial transfer kitty. MP departing most probably ment there isnt a decent transfer pot, and 4 million or 40 million for Rickie Lambert really means nothing as the new manager however it might be won't have those funds to build apon.

They'll be bigger protests Prof. Hang on in there.

SSN just showing SRL at what looked like Southampton Airport. Lots of stupid questions which couldn't be answered at this stage. Very much get the impression that SRL leaves with a heavy heart.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Not the impression I got. I got the impression that Stevie G has been tapping up Rickie for months ever since he joined the England set up.

Thats pretty much what Rickie hinted - same impression I got. Add Brendan Rodgers sending him a fax on his debut as a Liverpool lad and you can see exactly whats been happening a mile off.

Interesting how many sweety mice Gerrard has put into Adam Lallana's head too - and will continue to do so. I hope Saints are sending a complaint out to Hodgson and requesting he reiterates his line on no transfer talk at the WC.

Got to admire Liverpool - as I posted elsewhere every department pulling in the same long term direction for the Club under Rodgers. Very impressive - and making Saints look chumps.

Edited by SaintRobbie

SSN just showing SRL at what looked like Southampton Airport. Lots of stupid questions which couldn't be answered at this stage. Very much get the impression that SRL leaves with a heavy heart.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Pretty sure it was Manchester airport. He's flying back to Southampton about now.. If you want your last chance to shake this mans hand.. Get yourself to Eastleigh sharp(ish).

On a serious note, he seemed shattered and emotional. Said he couldn't say too much. When asked a final question regarding it being tough to leave Saints he genuinely seemed troubled and held massive mixed feelings. Said he will address everyone when he can. I assume this to mean there might be time for him to reflect us supporters. I know saints means a lot to him.

A crazy, crazy ride. Proud we shared some great times with him. He was a catalyst for our revival, a figurehead who smashed goal after goal as we rose. He will never be forgotten.

My 10 year old is on a proper downer. I remember what that felt like to lose your favourite player.

The board better get some of that good news out soon. The jury is most definitely out for me...

He's clearly kind of gutted to be leaving, despite being excited by a move to Liverpool. That was tough to watch.

For some reason I'm more saddened by Lambert leaving than Lallana. I guess Lambert is the modern day hero. Was.

When I changed my avatar after the West Brom game I genuinely thought I'd not have to change it again...

Edited by niceandfriendly

I feel like crying, this bloke just epitomises for me the re-birth of this club and now he's going to be playing for someone else. It's going to be f*cking strange seeing someone else wear the #7 shirt next season - which I imagine is what most people said after MLT retired.

I feel like crying, this bloke just epitomises for me the re-birth of this club and now he's going to be playing for someone else. It's going to be f*cking strange seeing someone else wear the #7 shirt next season - which I imagine is what most people said after MLT retired.

The only appropriate course of action is to give the number symbolically to Lallana if he comes out and says he wants to stay.

Really sad day. Don't get me wrong I'm happy for Rickie, I know that pool are the only team he would leave for, but the bloke is a hero of mine, and I was sure of everyone, he'd be here next season.

Good luck Rickie.

There's going to be a lot of gutted younger fans this weekend, their hero has just left.

As an older fan I've seen it all before, every dog has his day but I would like to say best of luck Rickie, you've been bloody awesome for SFC over the last 5 years.

You've earned everything the hard way through putting in a real shift and you'll always get a good reception at SMS.

No histrionics, tantrums or diva'ness, just talent and graft.

If any aspiring kids out there want a role model then look no further than Rickie Lambert, Southampton goal machine.

There's going to be a lot of gutted younger fans this weekend, their hero has just left.

As an older fan I've seen it all before, every dog has his day but I would like to say best of luck Rickie, you've been bloody awesome for SFC over the last 5 years.

You've earned everything the hard way through putting in a real shift and you'll always get a good reception at SMS.

No histrionics, tantrums or diva'ness, just talent and graft.

If any aspiring kids out there want a role model then look no further than Rickie Lambert, Southampton goal machine.

Great post. Agree with it all and brought tears to my eye reading it!

I am hands down, absolutely ****ing gutted. My four year old runs round the house shouting 'Rickie Lambert, he's off to Brazil'.

Football shouldn't matter this much but, right now, it feels like its killing me :(

He's over the moon, fair play to him. Completely gutted though, I'd have been heartbroken if Le Tiss went when I was a kid so I feel for those who see him as a hero. That was horrible viewing.

Yes it's hard.

I'm old enough to remember Channon, Keegan, Shilton leaving then Matt retireing. Each was hard.

My 15 year old is a massive Saints fan and has idolised Rickie for the last 5 years. He is really down at the moment :-(