Lambert joins Liverpool

JxgrSaint

And SFC deserves more respect than being cast aside the first time Liverpool come sniffing.

I love my wife, but if Kylie Minogue came knocking........

( I don't actually love my wife, she is a *****, but you get my point)

Absolute legend. I feel pleased that Southampton have played the major role in such a fairy tale of a career. Beyond all the corruption, gold Bentleys, diving etc there is still a place in football for a lad to go from beetroot factory to a WC with England and CL football with his boyhood club.

good luck ricky a legend but life moves on wish you well and take no notice of the bile from the cry baby ars e holes haters we have in our fan base, hope all goes well at your first love liverpool and i know sfc will always have a special place in your heart.

And SFC deserves more respect than being cast aside the first time Liverpool come sniffing.

It is his f*cking job you complete and utter loon. Why does he need to show us more respect than the obviously HUGE amount of respect he has shown us?

Why should he have turned down a once-in-a-lifetime-opportunity "promotion" to his boyhood supporting club? Saints got compensated by selling him and getting cash. Transfers are part of football. If you can't understand how thats works, explains why you fail to understand how most other things in football work.

I'm gutted he has gone, but don't hold it against the guy - such a great story, with (potentially) the perfect ending for him. Love Rickie Lambert, sad to see him leave, but wish him all the best.

Really gutted he's gone. I hate Liverpool but now every time he's playing I'll be willing them on to get Rickie a goal.

I'd probably even applaud if it was against us....

I love him like a family member, but even I wouldn't do that.

Will give him a massive reception when he returns, but once the whistle goes he’s an opposition player at the end of the day.

If you want to bend over and meekly applause patronising drivel, go fill yer boots.

Hardly suprising the most repeated word in that statement was "I"

You really are a complete and utter C**T. And by the looks of it you're not alone. The number of sheer idiots on this site beggars belief. I'd imagine if Liverpool hadn't shown an interest he would have finished his career with us. Can't see he'd have left for any other team.

Good luck Rickie. I for one don't begrudge you fulfilling your boyhood dream, especially after all the good times you gave us, even though I'm gutted you're gone.

Now let's see if the board really do have a plan moving forward. Get a decent manager in (not the dinosaur Moyes) who plays the game our way, and get in a decent replacement for the big man up front.

He was class, from the day he arrived to the day he left.

All the way.

The mind boggles at some of the lunacy being spouted on this board. I look at forums for all manner of things and I have to say, this is by far filled with the biggest bunch of absolute morons on the net. It's embarrassing to think that I actually have some connection with them.

Back on subject.

Good luck Rickie, you done us proud. Go fill yer boots son.

For one million pounds we got a player who has been player of the season in two leagues, achieved two promotions and a cup win plus improved placing year on year in the PL, scored countless goals and provided even more assists, improved to the point that England took him to Brazil despite his 'twilight years' age...and in the latter years of his career you begrudge the fact that we sell him to his boyhood favourite team for four times what we paid for him!??!

He earned the right to the move, we, Saints have had his best years and massive value and pleasure* from his service and have acted with dignity, acumen and class by allowing this move.

You denigrate your credibility and the man's contribution with your mean-spirited and petty sniping..you show not an atom of the class both player and club have shown.

* Look it up ffs...it may even be an option!

Edited by dronskisaint

Anybody else getting texts from Liverpool fans saying that you may as well support them as they are taking half our squad. I just reply well you didnt want to win the league do you.

I prefer to ask them if they'll be supporting Real Madrid.

Good luck Rickie, and thanks for the memories. You deserve the fairytale ending to your career, and along with my two sons who are in their teens, I see you as the best Saints player in their lifetime.

For me, you are at legend status with MLT, Channon, Paine, Davies and Bobby.

We are gutted that you've gone, but can see why, and wish you nothing but success.

You really are a complete and utter C**T. And by the looks of it you're not alone. The number of sheer idiots on this site beggars belief. I'd imagine if Liverpool hadn't shown an interest he would have finished his career with us. Can't see he'd have left for any other team.

We all agree that Alpine is a proper drone, but in fairness Lambert did want to go to West Ham in January

I'm devastated. My missus always reckons I had a man crush on Rickie and it's true that I respected him more than most Saints players I've supported in 25 years. He was loyal, he often praised Saints, and in particular it's fans, for all the chances he got playing in higher leagues, and yet it was because of his goals and all round play that we got to play in higher leagues.

Now the opportunity to play for his dream club has come along, and I won't deny him that. I bet he never thought it would happen, and yet here is the chance. I wish him all the best, for a Liverpool and England.

Saints have got millions for an ageing player, a player that some on this message board have thought was on the decline over the last year and occasionally looks unfit at times this past season. I fail to see how this is bad business. We'll miss Rickie's prescence at SMS but I look forward to the new strikers we'll have at the club, the new legends in the making.

He will be impossible to replace, but he's given us some of our best ever days in recent years. I don't think you can hold the move against him, he's an outstanding player and has been nothing short of excellent for us. Given his all whenever he played, £1m will never ever be better spent.

Class act, on and off the pitch. Some of the anti-reactions (bar Alpine) are simply down to frustration at the current situation but that shouldn't obscure Rickie's wonderful contribution over the last 5 years and no doubt in the future in another capacity when he's retired. There's the numbers - 117 goals in only twice as many games - but there's the humble attitude of a great player who hasn't had everything laid on a plate for him since the age of 14 like a lot of his contemporaries and those following. Rickie's had to graft like us supporters have to and fans really respect that. It's no accident that he's popular with England fans for the same reason - he's one of us. I'm about to draw a comparison with some of our other 'stars' on another thread...

Probably the only half decent player to have left us in recent history that I genuinely wish well of. Absolutely top bloke and is leaving for the right reasons, to join his childhood club. As a player I think he's way past his best and I'm glad he's gone because it would've tarnished my memory of him if he stayed any longer because I was getting increasingly frustrated with him last season. I think it frees up a position to sign a player more appropriate to our system, assuming it stays the same.

Pahaars?

Pahars was finished as a footballer,East European injury treatment in his young days had got the better of him. Whether he went for some paid vacation in Greece or Cyprus or just retired was of little import. Lambert might have a couple of useful seasons as a sub left in him.

Not sure how people cannot feel happy for the fella, an absolute legend to Saints and for a generation he's the modern day Le Tiss. The simple fact that he's finally got to play for HIS team and move home (at the age of 32) is boy's own stuff and i really think us as saints fans should be happy for him.

Any ire we have should be aimed at the board for their lack of ambition and letting MP go. Not aimed towards a player that has almost single handedly got us promoted from League One.

Really, that was daylight robbery, Beattie was never that good actually, he had a hot streak, we made a packet by exploiting it.

10 years ago we had a lesson in keeping a player who doesn't want to be here. We got £6m for him in January but had we sold him when he wanted out in summer we would probably have gotten £10m for him.

Personally I think this is a decent enough deal for Saints. We all have fond memories of Lambert and we got by far the best 5 years of his career. On top of that we signed him as a 27 year old then sold him as a 32 year old for 4 times the price. Another mistake we made in 2004 was not replacing players as they got older. We went into that season still thinking players like Claus, Dodd and Le Saux could do the business and made feeble efforts to replace them with players like JVD, Kenton and Yahia.

I don't think any sane fan can begrudge him this move. Imagine you were a player at West Ham or Stoke and Saints were playing in the Champions League next season. If the Saints manager tried to sign you, would you honestly turn it down to stay at a mid-table team?

I couldnt care less at the moment, tbh. I am f**king angry.

You're always angry. And it'll be a miracle if you survive this week, let alone the summer. At this rate you will be an utter laughing stock on this forum long before next season. More so than you already are.

To summarise, you hate England and you hope they fail, you hate football players, and you hate southampton, the board, the old board, the old managers, the next manager and you probably hate your face in the mirror.

There is only reason for most to read your embarrassing drivel, so they can feel good about the fact they aren't as insanely negative, deluded and plain spiteful as you.

Not sure how people cannot feel happy for the fella, an absolute legend to Saints and for a generation he's the modern day Le Tiss. The simple fact that he's finally got to play for HIS team and move home (at the age of 32) is boy's own stuff and i really think us as saints fans should be happy for him.

Any ire we have should be aimed at the board for their lack of ambition and letting MP go. Not aimed towards a player that has almost single handedly got us promoted from League One.

Agree with this but do not understand how a deal could have been completed so far in advance of the transfer window? Is it the case that the transfer has not been registered as yet and texchnically RL remains a Saints player until 30th June?

Really, that was daylight robbery, Beattie was never that good actually, he had a hot streak, we made a packet by exploiting it.

Beattie was easily as good as Lambert. Lets not twist history because Lambert got us through the lower leagues, Beattie was a beast before he let success go to his head. 67 goals in 4 seasons in the prem speaks for itself.

Beattie was easily as good as Lambert. Lets not twist history because Lambert got us through the lower leagues, Beattie was a beast before he let success go to his head. 67 goals in 4 seasons in the prem speaks for itself.

Okay who left the cage door open? :facepalm:

[video=youtube;5Pg3IK-6Xms]

We gonna act like Lambert could score half of those goals?

Yes 207 goals across all leagues an competitions. I expect you would find half of James beatties goals in there np. Also if you are going to use Prem only as comparison Rickie scored 28 in 2 seasons in a league widely regarded to be stronger than it was even when Beattie was playing not to mention the fact that Rickie is a lot older than Beattie was and forgive me but I don't have the stats to compare but I suspect that Rickie got a fair few more assists over 2 years compared to Beattie.

May be worth a debate for fun but probably not on this thread.