Lambert joins Liverpool

JxgrSaint

Nothing on the Liverpool OS yet and this has popped up on twitter. WTF is going on?

Brian Holland @HollandTimes · 53m

Deal taking Rickie Lambert to #LFC looks off. Southampton are now expressing desire to a consider higher offer from another unnamed PL club.

load of old pony

Going to get roasted for this, but part of me hopes he gets injured in one of the warm up games. Sorry.

We were going to flog him in Jan to West Ham so he clearly wan't in out plans but instead he gets a dream move and completes the fairytale so how any fan can want anything but the best for him is beyond me.

Nothing on the Liverpool OS yet and this has popped up on twitter. WTF is going on?

Brian Holland @HollandTimes · 53m

Deal taking Rickie Lambert to #LFC looks off. Southampton are now expressing desire to a consider higher offer from another unnamed PL club.

No point accepting another offer if he won't agree personal terms. He's going home, I doubt any money in the world would change that for him.

You know what? I has happy for him to fulfill his lifelong dream.

Then I saw the smug grin on his face in the pic where he is actually signing for them.

Thanks Mr Lambert, we had some good times but you are no MLT.

Looked to be the same grin as when he scored for England for me, no smugness just astonished pride and disbelief. Of course he is no MLT, but no-one ever will be.

Another indictment of the poor quality of our current Board / motivation in our media team. Obviously their family vacations are more important than even MENTIONING on our OS that we have accepted an offer from Liverpool.

So they got someone in from Apple. Shame they have no idea how football works.

Though I'm absolutely gutted that he's gone and will always consider him a saints legend, I'm delighted for him. He's such a genuine bloke and it's like he's finally got to the place he's always dreamed of reaching. I'd rather that had been saints, but I'm proud that we have been such a big part of getting him there.

Though I'm absolutely gutted that he's gone and will always consider him a saints legend' date=' I'm delighted for him. He's such a genuine bloke and it's like he's finally got to the place he's always dreamed of reaching. I'd rather that had been saints, but I'm proud that we have been such a big part of getting him there.[/quote']

what a load of old guff. proud that we aided a multi millionaire sign for liverpool?

jesus.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/06/01/luis-suarez-would-find-it-very-difficult-to-say-no-to-real-madrid-4746416/

Rickie as a Suarez replacement?

Would love this to be real (no pun intended) see how the scousers like it when Suarez cannot say no to his boyhood heros Real Madrid

Been saying that for a week. The look on my youngest's face (Scouser, ex wife influence) when I mentioned that was priceless.

Extremely possible as well.

So you genuinely think that we had any chance of holding on to him once Liverpool came calling?

I think we should have said not for sale.

what is he going to do? go on strike at the world cup?

with the state of the squad and with the departures that are definate and that already has happened.

we have no manager, no few coaches, top striker out till october/november, a nutter who got banished and sam gallagher, who is clearly not ready

to me, this is NOT selling him on our terms. we shall see how it pans out. that is my opinion

Funny article from back in the day, posted on other thread but thought it was good enough to be dragged up here too. Rickie Lambert has no re-sale value.

Edited by Mallagroth

I think we should have said not for sale.

what is he going to do? go on strike at the world cup?

with the state of the squad and with the departures that are definate and that already has happened.

we have no manager, no few coaches, top striker out till october/november, a nutter who got banished and sam gallagher, who is clearly not ready

to me, this is NOT selling him on our terms. we shall see how it pans out. that is my opinion

I don't disagree with you there. I just don't begrudge him his dream move. Does it leave Saints in the ****? Probably. Does our board know what they're doing? Probably not!

Legend is banded around far too readily these days, but Rickie genuinely is a Saints legend for me.

This, no one has come close since MLT. We made a hopeful song about Rickie taking us to the premier league when we were in the depths of League 1, he then went and did it and more. He never let the ego take over, always followed the rules and showed respect to the club, didn't kick off when things weren't going his way. He enabled us to live the dream it's only fair we share the same back.

Good player who achieved everything he could with us. Sad to see him go but he's unlikely to improve as a player at his age, and couldn't keep up with our high paced game for a full season. Still could have given us something over the next year or two, but footballers move on, so will we.

In many ways I'm glad to have seen him rise and peak... Can be sad to see heroes lose their touch. I hope he doesn't end up as a benchwarmer next season.

i agree that to the team all round, he's worth more than £4M so the fee is a slap, but what would be a good price? What's to say the add-ones won't tot up? Think people are being a bit precious, and to suggest rickie has done anything wrong is dumb.

That video does test the emotions a bit! He's been involved in every good bit of this club for 5 years, the best period in my lifetime.

He was more than just a striker....he kind of signified the entire era, the pin up boy of the journey.

I guess it's now time for us to start another journey, but we'll do very well to find anyone who has anywhere near the same sort of impact as Lambo over 5 years.

Agree. He is everything good in the game. Plus what I find amazing is supporters of other teams who I know have referred to him as the big striker who gives England the option of lumping the ball long. What little some people know about football. A special player.

My gut feeling is that I am p*ssed off with Lambert. I thought for once a player stating that he would end his career at the club that made him what he is actually meant something, obviously not.

Thanks for what you did Lambo but thanks for nothing as far as loyalty is concerned.

My gut feeling is that I am p*ssed off with Lambert. I thought for once a player stating that he would end his career at the club that made him what he is actually meant something, obviously not.

Thanks for what you did Lambo but thanks for nothing as far as loyalty is concerned.

to be honest thats my feeling on the situation. great player, personally my fave player since MLT. he may have been born i n liverpool but he was made here. he should have a sense of pride in ensuring it doesnt fall to pieces in my view.

he had his chance at liverpool when he was a kid and ****ed it up. some repsect to the club that pulled him off the league 1 scrap heap and made him into an england international is due here i think.

“I’ve been speaking to Stevie [Gerrard] for a while...the last couple of months. I’ll be able to speak properly about it in the next couple of days,” Lambert said.

I guess people were right when they said our players getting called up was a bad thing. This is wrong IMO.

I feel physically sick reading all this to be honest.

Micky Channon played for Portsmouth. His image should be removed from the banner and ceremonially burnt.

Grow some proper ones, people.

Rickie is the image which represents an amazing five years for our club. Now we move on. Who's next in line for the banner? Adam if he stays perhaps, or maybe a picture of Artur Boruc having a party. Another hero will turn up - that's football innit.

So Liverpool used Gerrard and England training camps to tap Rickie up, with Woy smiling on benevolently.

I so f**king hope England go out in the group stage.......

If they do you will go effing mental.

Just like your perennial "hope we don't qualify" routine combined with going apes hit every time we drop a point in qualification.

So, what's the deal here then? Is the board clearing the way for big money all-new strike-force, or just being penny-pinching legend-selling f*ckwits?

I doubt the Board have any football plan beyond allowing Les Reed to do what he wants.

There are two sides to the Lambert transfer. The first is that he is on the turn a little, getting a bit old to be first choice and lead our line, and the opportunity to get £4m+ for him and £40k a week off the books to reinvest can in isolation appear a half decent deal.

However, any logic when assessing the deal is completely shot when you have no confidence in the current set-up that he will be adequately replaced - indeed that he will even be sold just a few days after our Chairman said no-one would before we had a new Manager.

not sure how genuine the pic is... but it came from the Jay Rodriguez FB page... again not sure how real THAT is... :)

It is genuine, leaked from LFC. There were larger versions of it with quotes around it etc in the same style they used to announce Rodger's new deal doing the rounds on twitter last night

I guess people were right when they said our players getting called up was a bad thing. This is wrong IMO.

I feel physically sick reading all this to be honest.

Agreed...

Now sick of all this Lambert love in....he did an outstanding job while he was here...SFC tuned him into a England international..

but i want good players to stay playing for us not elsewhere..and sorry if i dont wish him a successful time his new club but i do not wish any other club to

do well, i just want Southampton Football club to do well...