Lambert joins Liverpool

JxgrSaint

I wonder if anyone has suggested to Rickie that this move could be the end of his England career. .

I would think in reality that would not put him off at all, he knows how old he is and in reality at 32 he is going to play for England in a World Cup in Brazil what more could a player who has played through the leagues wish for especially towards the latter end of his career.

Because when all said and done the England manager whoever he is has to pander to the big clubs,

always has been that way and always will...

Remember the big boys pulling out of friendlies but always fit for big games

whereas the "lesser" teams players would just love the chance..

And until that changes England will win jack ****.

I wonder if anyone has suggested to Rickie that this move could be the end of his England career. He was selected by Hodgson because he was a regular scorer for Saints and was adept at assists to other goal-scorers. At Liverpool he will be over-shadowed and not a regular starter in the first team. The typical Big Fish drawing deserved attention, but moving to a Bigger Pool and then getting lost.

It seems it was beyond the wit of our club management to explain this to Rickie and to tell him that keeping him at Southampton would be in his own interests as well as Southampton's. If that had disappointed him for a while, the club should have lived with that because the appointment of the new manager is capable of changing the whole situation.

All too late now.

For a scouser, what higher honour is there than playing for the People's Republic of Liverpool?

So he's been talking to Gerrard for a few months about moving?

...and I would have made him put in a transfer request - he's got away with stuffing Saints and the board have pandered to the fans! Mind you, they were in a lose-lose situation with this one.

Sad.

Just as a matter of interest i cant think of any 32 year olds who have been sold for more than 4 million..I mean usually they go on frees ala David villa and Vidic... Can anyone else think of one?

Ibrahimovitch cost PSG a packet, 20 million euros, think he was only 31 at the time though.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Just as a matter of interest i cant think of any 32 year olds who have been sold for more than 4 million..I mean usually they go on frees ala David villa and Vidic... Can anyone else think of one?

That has been discussed before on one or two of these threads. Some people seem adamant Lambert is worth £8m but ignore the fact that only one player 32 or over has ever gone for more than £7m. That was Cannavaro in 2006, when he was captain of the Italian side who won the World Cup.

A few 32 year olds have gone for more than £4m but not many and not by much. Most of them are world famous super stars going to clubs like Real and Lazio (when they were minted)

Don't know if this has been posted previously but the Observer reports today that Liverpool only became aware of Lambert's availability when they enquired about Lallana and Lovren. He may well have been tapped up by Gerrard but this suggests we flogged him.

I wonder if anyone has suggested to Rickie that this move could be the end of his England career. He was selected by Hodgson because he was a regular scorer for Saints and was adept at assists to other goal-scorers. At Liverpool he will be over-shadowed and not a regular starter in the first team. The typical Big Fish drawing deserved attention, but moving to a Bigger Pool and then getting lost.

It seems it was beyond the wit of our club management to explain this to Rickie and to tell him that keeping him at Southampton would be in his own interests as well as Southampton's. If that had disappointed him for a while, the club should have lived with that because the appointment of the new manager is capable of changing the whole situation.

All too late now.

Can't see Rickie having an England career beyond world cup anyway. Next euro qualification is super easy for England because of the increased number of teams that qualify so any sane england manager will look to bring in younger players during qualification.

That video does test the emotions a bit! He's been involved in every good bit of this club for 5 years, the best period in my lifetime.

He was more than just a striker....he kind of signified the entire era, the pin up boy of the journey.

I guess it's now time for us to start another journey, but we'll do very well to find anyone who has anywhere near the same sort of impact as Lambo over 5 years.

Don't know if this has been posted previously but the Observer reports today that Liverpool only became aware of Lambert's availability when they enquired about Lallana and Lovren. He may well have been tapped up by Gerrard but this suggests we flogged him.

The thing is you get the feeling the club have been trying to replace Lambert for a while. Osvaldo was clearly meant to replace Lambert and Lambert came within a whisker of joining WHU in January. Much as we all love him he was going need to be replaced soon. £4million quid is a good deal for a 32 year old player people just can't see it because Lambert has gained legendary status here and there is a general downer on all things the board do due to the current situation.

The thing is you get the feeling the club have been trying to replace Lambert for a while. Osvaldo was clearly meant to replace Lambert and Lambert came within a whisker of joining WHU in January. Much as we all love him he was going need to be replaced soon. £4million quid is a good deal for a 32 year old player people just can't see it because Lambert has gained legendary status here and there is a general downer on all things the board do due to the current situation.

Agree with all that

I am gutted that Rickie is going...but it had to happen. Now I've got over the initial shock I wish they'd just get on with it so that the BBC can clear some of their depressing "End of Saints" headlines from the sports page... It's starting to fcu*k me off ! RK can then unleash that new signing from Apple to get us some glowing headlines

Don't agree, believe the goals and assists he would have got in the next couple of seasons are worth far more. Hardly like he's gone down the leagues because he can't hack it anymore. I don't begrudge him his dream move but just think that Saints are the party that has lost out in the deal.

Never thought that we'd be in this position when he scored his first league goal for us up at Huddersfield - a miserable afternoon and in hindsight pretty poignant given the 'what a waste of money chants' he got from their fans.

I think overall they're very keen to see english players playing with the big clubs. Which I get, given the reliance on foreign players at the top and in the CL. It does benefit england in many ways, especially if many of them are playing together. But screwing up a club like saints who've done so much in producing english talent isn't great for england in the long term.

Its probably more to do with FIFA quotas of home grown talent in the BIG teams who have notoriously ignored British players until FIFA stepped in. Ricky will help balance up the numbers at Anfield although in fairness they are one of the better sides when it comes to British players; no doubt we have more than our share and feel we could afford to lose the odd one.

I happen to think that Ricky has been pushed rather than jumped, Reed with his eye on youth and the future probably decided long ago that last season was the end for Ricky here. Remember they tried to offload him to WHU in January but no doubt Poch and fans made it clear NFW! Getting a decent fee for Ricky from a top side must have surprised everyone upstairs at SMS and maybe even Ricky himself.

I don't buy the cra.p being put around by some anonymous sources that "Ricky always wanted to play for his boyhood club". Ballacks to that! Just spin to make everyone here and Ricky feel good about the move when his ad-hoc interview at Eastleigh airport suggested how deeply he has been affected by having to move on. His parting word to the reporter was "I'm going home!" meaning his home here at Southampton.

This is one time when Hearts should have ruled Heads, when hard-nosed business people should have understood that there are some things in life that cannot be measured in £ & $. £9m is nothing compared to the surge in crowd emotion when Ricky comes on at 60 mins as a sub when not starting. Irreplaceable!

Ricky is a local and now a national Icon for he represents more than anybody all that is magical and innocent about football, his place was here for ever and shame on all those that played a part in his exit if indeed he was pushed against his will.

"Better loved ye canna be

Will ye no' come back again?"

We've clearly been looking to replace SRL for a while as he was supposed to be sold in Jan' but that doesn't make it easier to swallow.

He must of known he was surplus to requirements so it's no wonder he went nuts when the plug was pulled on his big salary at WHU. I wonder if he was promised he'd be allowed to go in the summer?

He gave his all for us and has gone further then he surely could have ever imagined when he came to us five years ago. Now a Liverpool player and an England international. He has fulfilled his wildest dreams thanks to his time here and helped to give us some incredible memories on the way.

An astonishing story, Good luck Rickie.

Going to get roasted for this, but part of me hopes he gets injured in one of the warm up games. Sorry.

I think you better go out and buy yourself 20 tin hats...

Such an horrific way to think. He did everything he could for us, he is probably the single reason we are where we are. He could not have given or done more for us.

Finishing his career at his home town club is a nice ending for him, I think we all owe him that.

i think its madness we have let him go with the state of the squad.

Im not going to go all soppy in saying how wonderful it is for him. he was paid an f-ing fortune to play for us and we have been equally good for him as he has been for us.

I wonder where he would be now had huddersfield signed him

Nothing on the Liverpool OS yet and this has popped up on twitter. WTF is going on?

Brian Holland @HollandTimes · 53m

Deal taking Rickie Lambert to #LFC looks off. Southampton are now expressing desire to a consider higher offer from another unnamed PL club.