Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 260

Thread: Yoshida

  1. #1

    Default Yoshida

    Think that was his last game.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kings Worthy
    Posts
    20,131
    Blog Entries
    34

    Default

    At right back, agreed.

  3. #3

    Default

    Naa he'll be back ffs.

  4. Default

    Seriously? I'd put money on him playing at least 1 game at RB in December. If Koeman was going to play Cedric every game he'd have already begun.

  5. #5

    Default

    Stupid thread. The only problem with Yoshi is that he shouldn't be playing right back.

    Nothing wrong with him playing in his normal position, and in fact I would go as far to say that he has improved massively and is starting to show it.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!
    Posts
    18,676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 9-3 View Post
    Think that was his last game.
    I doubt it.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bartonia 2, 000, 000 years ago
    Posts
    7,131

    Default

    If only

  8. #8

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Marchwood
    Posts
    345

    Default

    Hopefully at right back.

    Hard to think of many better 3rd choice CBs in the league though. It's a shame that our lack of depth at right back seems to be ruining his overall reputation with some of our short sighted supporters though. I can't quite understand why Cedric can't play these games.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Block 3
    Posts
    554

    Default

    He is poor at centre back also I've been saying this since the first few games I saw him play. Absolutely terrible

  10. #10

    Default

    Poor fella plays so intermittently as it is, then he's put on against Man City away with very little match practice and he's castigated. He's a decent back up player and teams at our level in the PL don't have many decent back up defenders they can call upon.

    However, (assuming he was fit) it does highlight that Koeman appears to has no faith in Martina.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    7,101

    Default

    Wasn't just the first goal he was at fault for, his positioning for the 3rd was awful.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    29,516

    Default

    he has always been a liabilty at full back. finally, the masses on here are accepting that

    an aboslute mystery why Koeman trusts him there so much

  13. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 9-3 View Post
    Think that was his last game.
    5.7/10

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    11,871
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    he has always been a liabilty at full back. finally, the masses on here are accepting that

    an aboslute mystery why Koeman trusts him there so much
    The masses have always known he was s liability at RB, from his first game. He is though perfectly good as CB, have no problems when he plays in his proper position.

  15. #15

    Default

    Agree that Yoshi is not a suitable RB but neither, so it seems is Martina

    He can't deny responsibility for City's first goal or the mistake v Utd

    However he wasn't given much protection from whoever was playing right side of midfield on Saturday

    We do need to look at improving cover at RB in January

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    104

    Default

    I'm sure Koeman considered his tendencies to screw up as a full back when selecting Maya. Speaks volume of our RBs in waiting.... Turd-tastic...

    Agree with many here that Maya's still decent as CB. We need a decent RB cover now and for Cedric to work on his defensive game.

    Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Well North of the Wrekin
    Posts
    1,672

    Default

    Would you play Pelle at RB? He's not a RB nor is Yoshi!

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    After moving around Kent, Surrey and Sussex have now settled on the edge of Romney Marsh
    Posts
    13,844

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spyinthesky View Post
    Agree that Yoshi is not a suitable RB but neither, so it seems is Martina

    He can't deny responsibility for City's first goal or the mistake v Utd

    However he wasn't given much protection from whoever was playing right side of midfield on Saturday

    We do need to look at improving cover at RB in January
    The mistakes he makes have little to do with the need to protection though. I don't know what he was trying to do for the first goal on Saturday and as has been said where the hell was he for the third? His back pass against United was also down to his poor concentration. He shouldn't be starting.

  19. #19

    Default

    Everything is leading up to JWP finding his natural position...RB

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sadoldgit View Post
    The mistakes he makes have little to do with the need to protection though. I don't know what he was trying to do for the first goal on Saturday and as has been said where the hell was he for the third? His back pass against United was also down to his poor concentration. He shouldn't be starting.
    It occurred to me yesterday that you don't often see players dithering like that in the Premier League and then losing possession. You often see a bit of miscontrol but complete indecision under pressure is rarer. We've had Artur and Yoshi.

    I don't know what he thought he was doing for their third. He seems to have a limited awareness of what's going on around his peripheral areas.

  21. #21

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    overseas
    Posts
    832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Le Goddard View Post
    Everything is leading up to JWP finding his natural position...RB
    this would be incredible

  22. #22

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    100 miles south-east of Newport
    Posts
    28,793
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default

    Still remains a viable option across the back 4 against teams who aren't expected to finish in the top half. Anyone else, forget it.

  23. #23

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    1,580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Le Goddard View Post
    Everything is leading up to JWP finding his natural position...RB
    Hmmmmmmm that's interesting.

  24. #24

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    29,516

    Default

    Basically, we have sold 28m worth of right backs and yoshida is playing there.

    That is pish poor from the club.

  25. #25

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    After moving around Kent, Surrey and Sussex have now settled on the edge of Romney Marsh
    Posts
    13,844

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey Grandad View Post
    It occurred to me yesterday that you don't often see players dithering like that in the Premier League and then losing possession. You often see a bit of miscontrol but complete indecision under pressure is rarer. We've had Artur and Yoshi.

    I don't know what he thought he was doing for their third. He seems to have a limited awareness of what's going on around his peripheral areas.
    Nail on head.

  26. #26

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    After moving around Kent, Surrey and Sussex have now settled on the edge of Romney Marsh
    Posts
    13,844

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Basically, we have sold 28m worth of right backs and yoshida is playing there.

    That is pish poor from the club.
    I expect when they bought Cedric they expected more although I don't know why he doesn't play more often. The signing of Martina seems an odd one if he isn't going to play.

  27. #27

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    hiding in shadows where I don't belong
    Posts
    31,098

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sadoldgit View Post
    I expect when they bought Cedric they expected more although I don't know why he doesn't play more often. The signing of Martina seems an odd one if he isn't going to play.
    For 5.5 million euros paid over 18 months..don't know exactly why they expected a great player for that amount. You get what you pay for usually.

  28. #28

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    11,871
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Le Goddard View Post
    Everything is leading up to JWP finding his natural position...RB
    Would be worse than Yoshida. For full back these days you need to be able to tackle, have pace and ability to cross. jwp has none of those attributes. We played him there once and he was awful.
    Last edited by VectisSaint; 30-11-2015 at 01:22 PM.

  29. #29

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sussex/Kharkiv
    Posts
    17,579

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Le Goddard View Post
    Everything is leading up to JWP finding his natural position...RB
    Wide players up and down the country would be delighted with a non tackling, slow full back to beat with ease.

    But he would put in a nice cross when unchallenged.

  30. #30

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    7,101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sadoldgit View Post
    I expect when they bought Cedric they expected more although I don't know why he doesn't play more often. The signing of Martina seems an odd one if he isn't going to play.
    I personally think Cedric was signed with a view of him being backup to Clyne who gave the club the impression that he would be signing a new deal.

  31. #31

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sussex/Kharkiv
    Posts
    17,579

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saints foreva View Post
    I personally think Cedric was signed with a view of him being backup to Clyne who gave the club the impression that he would be signing a new deal.
    By the time we signed Cedric we knew Clyne was going.

  32. #32

    Default

    1) Yoshida is not a right-back.

    2) We, as has been mentioned, have sold 28Mn worth of young right-backs in the past two summer windows

    3) We have replaced them with the just about tolerable, slight step-down in Cedric and the completely inadequate Martina (who I'd assume will be moving on within the next 6-12 months, possibly via a loan move).

    4) Koeman evidently thinks that our transfer committee has failed in this regard (given that in certain games such as on Saturday, he's not willing to play either despite the fact that they're fully fit).

    5) As such, Yoshida is being asked to deputise in a position he's not qualified for. He's been asked to do someone else's job.

    None of these four factors are Yoshida's fault. Hell, if we had a bread-and-butter pace-and-cross traditional right-winger (Young, Valencia etc.) we'd probably sooner have them deputising at right-back than Yoshida.

    The only thing I'd add is that whilst a lot of Yoshida's critics seem to be taking some kind of pleasure in his mistakes for them to be proven right, I have never, not once, seen anyone on here claim that Yoshida at right-back is good news. People have defended him as a decent squad player and an all-around good guy, people have defended him as a reasonable third-choice defender for a club of our stature to have at our disposal, but absolutely no-one has claimed that Yoshida at right-back is completely fine and hunky-dory.

  33. #33

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    hiding in shadows where I don't belong
    Posts
    31,098

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Charlie View Post
    By the time we signed Cedric we knew Clyne was going.
    I suspect we always knew Clyne was going.....we usually do. It was all about money, why we don't have enough for similar quality replacements I have absolutely no idea.

  34. #34

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!
    Posts
    18,676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ScepticalStan View Post
    1) Yoshida is not a right-back.

    2) We, as has been mentioned, have sold 28Mn worth of young right-backs in the past two summer windows

    3) We have replaced them with the just about tolerable, slight step-down in Cedric and the completely inadequate Martina (who I'd assume will be moving on within the next 6-12 months, possibly via a loan move).

    4) Koeman evidently thinks that our transfer committee has failed in this regard (given that in certain games such as on Saturday, he's not willing to play either despite the fact that they're fully fit).

    5) As such, Yoshida is being asked to deputise in a position he's not qualified for. He's been asked to do someone else's job.

    None of these four factors are Yoshida's fault. Hell, if we had a bread-and-butter pace-and-cross traditional right-winger (Young, Valencia etc.) we'd probably sooner have them deputising at right-back than Yoshida.

    The only thing I'd add is that whilst a lot of Yoshida's critics seem to be taking some kind of pleasure in his mistakes for them to be proven right, I have never, not once, seen anyone on here claim that Yoshida at right-back is good news. People have defended him as a decent squad player and an all-around good guy, people have defended him as a reasonable third-choice defender for a club of our stature to have at our disposal, but absolutely no-one has claimed that Yoshida at right-back is completely fine and hunky-dory.
    Martina was clearly Erwin's influence I'm pretty sure Ronald could have stopped that transfer if he wanted.

  35. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ScepticalStan View Post
    None of these four factors are Yoshida's fault. Hell, if we had a bread-and-butter pace-and-cross traditional right-winger (Young, Valencia etc.) we'd probably sooner have them deputising at right-back than Yoshida.
    Ignore what position he is playing on the pitch though - it's his ability to make mistakes which are invariably punished. Even in games where we win he has it in his locker. It's not something that only happens when he plays right-back. I wouldn't mind him playing right back if he didn't make those mistakes. But he does, time and time again. Brain farts which cost us goals. If he didn't make them he'd be a very serviceable right-back as backup.

  36. #36

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!
    Posts
    18,676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Window Cleaner View Post
    I suspect we always knew Clyne was going.....we usually do. It was all about money, why we don't have enough for similar quality replacements I have absolutely no idea.
    Because the whole point of the clubs policy is to buy good players cheap and then turn them into better players and flog them for more money than we paid for them. Which isn't really going to work if we buy players for the same money we just flogged the last one for.....

  37. #37

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    hiding in shadows where I don't belong
    Posts
    31,098

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doddisalegend View Post
    Because the whole point of the clubs policy is to buy good players cheap and then turn them into better players and flog them for more money than we paid for them. Which isn't really going to work if we buy players for the same money we just flogged the last one for.....
    So not getting better and better then, must have been deluded about that.

  38. #38

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!
    Posts
    18,676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Window Cleaner View Post
    So not getting better and better then, must have been deluded about that.
    Well to be honest if you think the club are going to sell someone like Mane for 40 million and then buy another 40 million forward you are a bit deluded. The aim is to get better by picking up players that are (or potentially are) good enough for the PL, but that others haven't taken a punt on, for low cash outlay (relatively speaking). It's not hard to get your head around we can't just buy players with no re-sale value and take a loss on them like the big boys do the idea is to improve the squad and the clubs bank balance at the same time. It's a high risk strategy which has paid off so far but the club don't get it right all the time and some times have to just bite the bullet and get a player that doesn't fit the bill because we need a squad (Long comes to mind).

  39. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doddisalegend View Post
    Martina was clearly Erwin's influence I'm pretty sure Ronald could have stopped that transfer if he wanted.
    Maybe they were doing a favour for somebody.

  40. #40

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    29,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey Grandad View Post
    Maybe they were doing a favour for somebody.
    does teh club we got him from suffer from financial difficulties?

  41. #41

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    hiding in shadows where I don't belong
    Posts
    31,098

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    does teh club we got him from suffer from financial difficulties?
    Did he come from Twente ? If so then yes they do have difficulties, big difficulties. Got 3 points docked last season for them and are under investigation for mismanagement I think.

  42. #42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Window Cleaner View Post
    Did he come from Twente ? If so then yes they do have difficulties, big difficulties. Got 3 points docked last season for them and are under investigation for mismanagement I think.
    I've just checked, yes he did.

  43. #43

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    hiding in shadows where I don't belong
    Posts
    31,098

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey Grandad View Post
    I've just checked, yes he did.

    Great...so now we're a charity set-up.

  44. #44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sadoldgit View Post
    I expect when they bought Cedric they expected more although I don't know why he doesn't play more often. The signing of Martina seems an odd one if he isn't going to play.
    Chambers was 16m tops and Clyne 10m as far as I remember. We didn't replace Chambers at all and when Soares came in Les said he WASNT a replacement for Clyne. Martina was a panic buy, a waste of a fee a waste of wages that underlines the lack of faith in our youth system all of a sudden

  45. #45

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    stockholm sweden
    Posts
    11,108
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ScepticalStan View Post
    1) Yoshida is not a right-back.
    2) We, as has been mentioned, have sold 28Mn worth of young right-backs in the past two summer windows
    3) We have replaced them with the just about tolerable, slight step-down in Cedric and the completely inadequate Martina (who I'd assume will be moving on within the next 6-12 months, possibly via a loan move).
    1- Agree totally, I ask myself why Koeman ..and even Poch. used him at RB.
    My only conclusion was that he had most experience. ....but he lacks pace and is much better in a CB role....

    2- before everyone condemns Cedric (yes and even Marina) it should be remembered that Clyne was abysmal at the start of his first season...we shipped goals in every game, some clearly his fault and he was really out of his depth for quite a while before he " settled in ". Cedric deserves the same chance.

    3- I'm never too quick to condemn players in their first season. I recall one or two "names" on this site who likened Mane ...to Ali Dia in his early season appearances.

  46. #46

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    29,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by david in sweden View Post
    1- Agree totally, I ask myself why Koeman ..and even Poch. used him at RB.
    My only conclusion was that he had most experience. ....but he lacks pace and is much bteter in a CB role....

    2- before everyone condemns Cedric (yes and even Marina) it should be remembered that Clyne was abysmal at the start of his first season...we shipped goals in every game and he was really out of his depth for quite a while before he " settled in ". Cedric deserves the same chance.

    3- I'm never too quick to condemn players in their first season. I recall one or two "names" on this site who likened Mane ...to Ali Dia in his early season appearances.
    I dont think anyone is writing off cedric
    but we qualified for europe, hear the club regularly talking up champions league aspirations and made a pretty profit in the summer AGAIN.
    we should have done better than having cedric/martina

    we are now in a position where Yoshida plays.. Which has 3 out of the last 5 games.

    clyne was no worse than cedric when we first signed him. BUT we were a club JUST promoted from the championship

  47. #47

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bartonia 2, 000, 000 years ago
    Posts
    7,131

    Default

    Ron needs to be asked why Cedric was dropped in the next press conference!

  48. #48

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    29,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simo View Post
    Ron needs to be asked why Cedric was dropped in the next press conference!
    He wont be.
    It will all be about Klopp

    Listening to 5live last night (arsenal game) and they went back to Anfield a few mins after they had reported liverpool went 1-0 up.
    The basis of the report was to tell us all how Klopp celebrated the goal

    WTF!!!!!

  49. #49

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    hiding in shadows where I don't belong
    Posts
    31,098

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by david in sweden View Post
    1- Agree totally, I ask myself why ..and even Poch. used him at RB.
    M.
    Did he ? Not when we had Clyne and Chambers alternating there I think. Maya only got 8 PL appearances in the 13/14 season
    and most of those would have been at CB when Lovren had his several injured spells. Perhaps in the Adkins set up that Poch inherited but then that wasn't very good defensively was it...Poch cast him aside apart from desperate need, Koeman has for some reason reintegrated him as a regular alternative.

  50. #50

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    overseas
    Posts
    832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simo View Post
    Ron needs to be asked why Cedric was dropped in the next press conference!
    just asked simon peach on twitter to ask him next presser

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •